This book reminded me of "Twilight," if "Twilight" had been better written, set at the turn of the 20th century, and starred Frank Lloyd Wright as the...moreThis book reminded me of "Twilight," if "Twilight" had been better written, set at the turn of the 20th century, and starred Frank Lloyd Wright as the leading man instead of a sparkly vampire. Seriously. "Loving Frank" has the exact same (lack of) structure as "Twilight" - it's 98% meandering romance, and then for the remaining 2% it has an ending that comes out of nowhere and is so different from the rest of the book that it's practically a different genre. "Loving Frank" also has the same kind of characters as "Twilight" - Mamah Borthwick, Wright's lover, seems to be written so that any woman can relate to her, but the end result is that she comes across as oddly flat and unbelievable. And even Wright comes across as a cardboard stereotype of an eccentric artist in this, not a real person.
With that said, it's an enjoyable book if you go into it accepting that it's a light wish-fulfillment romance. Also, I have to give Horan props for how she handled the ending, which might be the most gruesomely, horrifyingly tragic thing I've ever read. People who know their Frank Lloyd Wright history probably won't find it that shocking, but I didn't know it was coming and it absolutely devastated me. Horan could have woven the ending in with the rest of the narrative better, but I think it's a testament to her writing that it struck so powerfully.(less)
Yes. I went there. With the polarized reactions this book has received, I was already morbidly curious about it. Then a friend asked me to read it, an...moreYes. I went there. With the polarized reactions this book has received, I was already morbidly curious about it. Then a friend asked me to read it, and that was all the excuse I needed to check it out for myself.
Since so many other people have already covered what's wrong with Twilight, I won't go into detail about its faults. What I will say is that reading Twilight is like reading a first draft. There were a lot of moments that made me go, "Hey, lots of potential here!" but that thought was almost always immediately followed by, "but you'd have to add this or tweak that or cut this completely, and whoa, who thought Edward sneaking into Bella's bedroom was romantic, etc." Did Stephenie Meyers actually have an editor? This book could have been so much better had someone revised it properly.
With that said, I have to admit that Twilight has an addictive quality to it, and I had a hard time putting it down. I'll probably read the other three books at some point as well. Without ruling out the possibility that the pages are laced with drugs, I think the likely cause of Twilight's addictive power, for me at least, is that it fills the same niche as celebrity gossip. It requires absolutely no brain power whatsoever and it's so ridiculous that there's something to make fun of on every page, which ends up making it pretty enjoyable. I don't want to say it's so bad it's awesome, because it's actually pretty mediocre all around. But it was fun, and I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time on it.
So in conclusion, I guess I'm saying that Twilight is like the first draft of a celebrity gossip column. Go figure. (less)