this book & Mary Miller's latest are my favorites of 2014 so far. things I liked about Escoria's 'Black Cloud':
1. the writing style/voice is uniqu...morethis book & Mary Miller's latest are my favorites of 2014 so far. things I liked about Escoria's 'Black Cloud':
1. the writing style/voice is unique and genuine rather than seeming forced or fabricated, something pretty rare especially with most recent publications
2. unlike many books about/involving drug use, the stories and the sentiment behind them are not solely dependent on sensationalization...in fact, half of the time I forgot drugs were even involved because, though an arguably 'important' running theme throughout the stories, as a reader I was more drawn by the emotional undercurrent of the sentences and stories
3. this is a completely selfish and self-absorbed reason to like BC but - I liked this book a lot because O felt I could 'relate' to a lot of the events/mental illness aspects, although the voice in these stories is much better at articulating emotions I experience more than my self
4. another selfish reason I enjoyed this book: it made me feel less alone and/or 'ashamed' (as cheesy as that sounds) about being called/considered 'crazy' or mentally ill because the chick in this book is pretty fuckin' awesome
5. JULIA IS A GREAT FUCKING WRITER AND SHE IS A PRETTY GIRL AND SHE IS BASICALLY A MULTI-TALENTED BABEZILLA AND YOU SHOULD BUY HER BOOK(less)
I like this book. I like Gabby. I like Illuminati Girl Gang. I have read Gabby's chapbook 'AIRPLANE FOOD' as well as work she has published online. Wh...moreI like this book. I like Gabby. I like Illuminati Girl Gang. I have read Gabby's chapbook 'AIRPLANE FOOD' as well as work she has published online. While I have always been impressed/affected by her writing, reading 'ALONE WITH OTHER PEOPLE' it is incredibly evident that Gabby consistently improves/masters the art of writing and the alienation specific to human beings, particularly 'female' beings I felt like I could 'relate' to many of the "themes" in this book of poetry & short stories. These were my favorite quotes from AWOP:
from HOLLY GO LIGHTLY (short story):
"She had trouble thinking about the past. In the past she always seemed happier. She didn't understand how time could work like that. She didn't understand how time could twist her face into an ugly, wild thing."
from THE WOMAN AT THE END OF THE CUL-DE-SAC (poem):
"We do not earn salary for this emotional labor."
from TIPPING (short story):
"What is inside of you besides this human stuff of veins and bones and existential longing?"
"She knew this was happening, that crushing feeling inside her ribcage and between her lungs, but she also knew that it would stop happening and that other things would happen, eventually."
from THE UNIVERSE HAS TAUGHT US A GREAT THING (short story):
"Jane didn't know how to comprehend the universe. She imagined the universe as a giant sad thing that consistently felt alienated by itself because it was too large and too sad for anyone to possibly understand it."
"I'm an asshole starfish."
from JEANNE DIELMAN (short story):
"Okay, what do YOU fear the most?" "Feeling alone and alienated for my entire life.:
"I most closely resemble a cloud in the shape of a depressed human being."
"I want 'insignificant but noticeable' on my gravestone maybe."
"I feel like I invent horrible situations and emotions in my head so convincingly that I give up on everything before anything even happens."
from OVERSIZED T-SHIRTS (poem):
"There is probably a mathematical equation for figuring out the amount of time spent staring at empty hands in the average lifespan"
from INSIDE OF THIS POEM THERE IS A ROCK AND THEN THERE IS ME (poem):
"Right now, on my webcam, hundreds of strangers have fallen in love with me and they tell me this as I pull at my underwear and place them into a poem."
from CONGRATULATIONS, YOU OWN A LARGE ROUNDED STONE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (poem):
"Viewed from space, one cannot be certain whether I am an asshole or a good person or the entire Pacific Ocean. Panic."(less)