- The heroine was slightly annoying sometimes and pulled some TSTL moves. I wanted a better explanation
While the story was okay I had a few quibbles:
- The heroine was slightly annoying sometimes and pulled some TSTL moves. I wanted a better explanation of why they moved to a middle of nowhere town in WV - was it close to a hospital where her mom could work? Why would they go there when they had no ties to the town?
- The world building needs more details. We don't know enough about what the aliens really are and how they live on earth. It was kind of glossed over, which might be okay for younger readers but I want explanations.
- Daemon was an unpleasant dick the whole story, there wasn't any real redemption. He could have accomplished his goals in better ways - like maybe dealing with the fact his sister is the one endangering them, not Katy, because his sister knows the risks and still became friends with her. I just didn't find him likable so it will be hard to root for him. The extra chapters in the end made him more likable, maybe the story would be more enjoyable if we knew what he was really thinking and didn't have to go off his rude actions.
- The aliens themselves - beings of light? What the heck does that mean, how did they "become" human, do they reproduce, etc - the world building should have answered this (not just lightly glossed over it) But I found the idea of them being light kind of dumb.
- The fact the heroine had a book blog and waxed poetic about YA fiction, this just seemed like the author wanted to include maybe something she is familiar with. They didn't have YA fiction and blogs when I was a teen so maybe I just don't get it.
Despite all of my quibbles, I may give the next book a try depending on how it sounds....more
Heat was a sci fi fiction - not a romance but there were two relationships that were a big part of the story. This book is not for the faint of heart,Heat was a sci fi fiction - not a romance but there were two relationships that were a big part of the story. This book is not for the faint of heart, it's full of violence and can be disturbing. I kept reading it despite that because it kept my interest and was different.
The first relationship followed Kane and Raven. Kane is not a hero, in any other book he is the villain we want to see come to a painful ending. But the interesting part of this story was that we see things from his point of view and the motives behind his very unsavory actions. He grew up with criminals in space and learned from his mastermind father how to be successful with his illegal lifestyle. Kane comes to Earth to harvest a drug from human brains, which he has to get by tearing off their skull while they are still alive. He doesn't see humans as an equal, he sees them as pets or just like an animal who has a valuable drug in their brain and has no problem killing them. He takes Raven, a drug addicted sort of prostitute, as a companion because he needs sex or he will die (it's part of the alien biology). He rapes her and smacks her around at first but eventually they form a connection, as they start traveling together on a killing spree.
Kane's part of the story was the most intriguing to me but it was also very violent and disturbing. He kills people and it's told in graphic detail, he rapes women and even picks up another woman to go along with them and abuses her. Despite this, he was an interesting character who develops feelings for Raven, who he decides to keep as his own pet to take with him when he leaves.
The other half of the story features Tagen, a cop from Kane's planet who travels to Earth to catch him. Tagen meets Daria, a human female who is kind of neurotic from an attack on her a few years ago. This part of the story wasn't as interesting but it follows how Tagen and Daria slowly develop feelings for each other as they try to track down the murdering Kane. Tagen was a nice guy who treated Daria with compassion and helped her overcome some of her issues then she helped him out by tracking down Kane.
This story was certainly different. There are two relationships but don't expect anything sweet. There is a lot of violence so if that bothers you, stay away. There are rape scenes and many murders. The writing was actually good, it just was a little long winded sometimes and could have had a tighter story. ...more