This was terrible, really terrible. I'm really disappointed, too, because I was hoping to read the sequel for Scavenger Hunt. There was no ex1.5 stars
This was terrible, really terrible. I'm really disappointed, too, because I was hoping to read the sequel for Scavenger Hunt. There was no excitement and the brief moment of peril was rather silly. There was some angst, too much for those who don't like it and not enough for those like me who crave it. The ending was predictable and I didn't even really care at that point. There was too much telling. I didn't need either's life story and certainly not in the first few pages, especially not when Alex later rehashed some of his for someone else. There was way way way too much sex and unappealing sex at that since both were really bossy and demanding and not listening to each other. It wasn't quite BDSM nor was it quite not.
There was significant dubious sex content. One time when Alex woke up, he thought the Rory was asleep. He then proceeded to penetrate him while he still believed Rory was asleep, and only found out Rory wasn't really asleep when Rory said something. More than once Rory initiated sex and Alex said no several times and Rory refused to listen. They even physically fought one of those times. Later Rory decided to "let [Alex] come to terms with being almost bloody raped [by Rory!]." That's disgusting. He later refers to it as love making, purposely differentiating it from just sex.
There were lots of other things I didn't like or that were problematic:
• I hated the hunting aspect and fail to see why each man needed to kill his own stag in order to show he's a man. (These were mostly green tourists.)
• Alex at one point feels somehow he's met an equal because the other man was really tall. All the good people were tall. The shortest good guy out of many is 5'10". The only short man was a horrible person.
• Rory was painted as someone who has never been outside a tiny Scottish town, which is ridiculous and also not true. He is uncomfortable in pants (and he isn't positive the word is jeans). Scottish people wear the same clothes everyone else in the UK does. Kilts are just for dressy occasions.
• Unsafe sex: The first time they had sex, Rory has condoms and lube in his bags in the car but he was too into it to get them and instead goes bareback with Alex, whom he didn't know, and Alex let him. They never used condoms.
• Super instalove: They both fell head over heels to the point of voicing the fact to themselves they're in love before 24 hours have passed.
• They each thought of the other as boy-like and innocent like that was a good thing which was creepy.
• The constant "foog" for fuck was annoying especially since there was no hint of any other accent or Scottishisms.
• Alex's pecs were referred to as breasts twice including, "The swell of his breasts..."
• This was another sexist book written by a woman. (I haven't found a male M/M author who writes sexist stories and it is really disturbing how many women writers do. No women appeared in more than a sentence or two, and although some others were mentioned in passing. They were all described solely in their roles as wives, mothers, cooks, secretaries and a mistress. Later Rory's father tells him that if he doesn't do such and such, he would decide, "...I don't have a son, I have a little girl hiding under the bed." Not a child, but specifically a little girl.
• I'm pretty sure there aren't any bears in Scotland. The European brown bear went extinct there hundreds of years ago. Moose went extinct 1,000 years ago and only in 2008 were two reintroduced. There is no way anyone would be allowed to hunt them.
The ending left questions for me. One in particular was that I still have no idea why (view spoiler)[anyone was hired to follow Rory since the people setting it up all claimed it was some kind of joke or minor thing or a setup (hide spoiler)].
All in all, this just wasn't worth the time I spent with it. I would have abandoned it if I hadn't been reading it for a challenge. ["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>...more