Help > All
In order to become a librarian on Goodreads you must have at least 50 books in your profile, then just apply.
Goodreads members with Librarian Status can edit book and author data, add book covers, and combine different editions of books. Each book and author has one unique entry in the Goodreads database. Librarians help correct book issues, like if the data isn't correct, or is missing things like the book description or URL.
Initially, we allowed everyone to be a librarian. Anyone could edit book and author data, add cover images, or combine books. However, we found that while 99% of the people did a good job, occasionally we had someone who messed things up. So we created a new status that we bestow on those interested in helping keep things nice and tidy, which has worked out well.
To edit book or author information, navigate to the book or author's page, then click on the 'edit data' link which is found in the lower right side of the box containing the book or author's information. Please remember to be accurate in your edits, as your changes will be reflected on anyone's shelf who has that book.
The Goodreads Author Program is designed for published authors to have a presence on Goodreads. Goodreads Authors can connect with fans, add excerpts of their writing, post upcoming events, and add photos and videos of themselves.
In order to join our Author Program, you must have your books listed on Goodreads. If you can't find them by an ISBN search, you must manually add your books to Goodreads (advanced search => manually add). This option is only available to those with 20 books or more shelved. If you don't have enough books, please contact us in support and we'd be happy to help.
The Goodreads self-serve advertising product is an affordable and practical way to reach the broader Goodreads community. The product runs on a cost-per-click (CPC) model, where the advertiser determines how much to invest in the overall campaign and sets a bid per click. Ads consist of a small image, a title, a description, and a destination URL, which the advertiser can set up directly via the advertising dashboard on Goodreads. Advertisers can create an unlimited number of ads within a campaign at no extra charge.
We welcome participation from organizations such as book stores, and we invite all published authors to join the Goodreads Author Program. However, spam and unsolicited advertising of any kind will not be tolerated and could lead to the permanent deletion of you Goodreads account. Posting of legitimate book reviews from organizations or individuals is the intended use of the site, but no review should have any content with an intent to sell. Goodreads members recognize this as spam, so this tactic is not a good strategy for gaining new customers. In contrast, becoming an active participant in literary discussion on Goodreads will win you friends and new readers.
At Goodreads we take the security of our users and their data very seriously.
For security issues related to a single account please contact Customer Care. This includes such items as:
- Unauthorized account access
- Copyright infringement
For security issues that affect a large number of Goodreads users please contact our security team at email@example.com. This includes such items as:
- improper access controls
- API flaws
For sensitive communications please use our PGP key:
-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.15 (Darwin) mQENBFKFZK4BCAC+Sp2omC/XpgpebTTJqSniRcnZ3YSsHbtH2bxdKR0KIqOm01d7 BSyk01CSafrbho0jNNlHlQDXR9hhtkUDhCXm4ui9qbJti/EWD15fswm78fw8JkXM MyNYv2jnQz8BtbbpYU8kp3I2SebNyaw+iung3XZEzCZUPJJAjNDkfRJfA2yKUh9a ZKnW4x71SaLh2BUuGQtRIds0mwTuY9u4XzCH+E59Mn9fd0S24Qi5olJcKdtSWsru OpV4nz6HHnW06z38QixV7ZHDRy3TPiMWy/i2l7jyf1CNohs2Tejl+YbCMntOlOUZ 2WJbOuzU10WBOJKZzrdFKLwzEHLvoogOT4XJABEBAAG0K0dvb2RyZWFkcyBTZWN1 cml0eSA8c2VjdXJpdHlAZ29vZHJlYWRzLmNvbT6JATgEEwECACIFAlKFZK4CGwMG CwkIBwMCBhUIAgkKCwQWAgMBAh4BAheAAAoJEO7quyY7nBFre2MH/iqTMhIn2+LW 4Qb/vXrKyuqHkcX/oDlxWmFyemf2cL8qNM9Vj1GZjw2GYzO0seqLavtlqicHCWSg BB209KIMoZm2TuHWl93Wwlj293xXmiXneY3gZKxbOV0e+heBKT6mVBvUdn4JsAo+ cINNkkblOYoMjUYab7ZIWkJHQuI8dYmJwobL3uJx1kRI4YZZCh3FjlBPQm/iGfkh De22Mm5cDdTtYbsOj2kDW47dLc3LLOCcJnBuXcyx5OSvprecEZkLAP1wIQRhf4n0 8GjEt5Gumiv1K4YX8vlKmTiOARm8LZZQuBylCKZ/R1KP0TgeiktC1mWWso4giFLT 9ZyPhPRmRBe5AQ0EUoVkrgEIAJigIiXUNWRa0R/wOLPO2+v/eFyl2ujBNdhY9Ee4 Gpgmuw8HTV4AM7oarF2uxNCd/iqUVwQrG30YR7Oz/Hocc8poD5dVU5y6wb8bvED/ uLiyP014z/js9e53NGrS6h2j+70ogTv/rmuGAOhYoW6wMF5MGt9T1O1Z/NSjXxS5 JCxDfQiALR+XW0Uy1R9PNvTAHmjRY66J7jS5g+Oil7bWyf1RDIYdtoOVC2+SPLK7 A72TYkb+Xr10zw2z5f80PNxMCRcq1VdO/r6f2gP/luSUXpz+r3y6yaSJTJpn0fjj gGTOmI9/dTR2w5J+ow+UEbFlEusQIkajsrFm6BO82Ha4FisAEQEAAYkBHwQYAQIA CQUCUoVkrgIbDAAKCRDu6rsmO5wRaydmCACKkYTvqs+F0tALRf6E1bzgdk2V1iXY sZ9zg22yz5PvlIMbbnztPahDCrBfkf+7KFoUJEPv94Z6s/omwkmMRoM9huo2yYu1 zed9Yvu/nu7aNuRI8+4faf/EUuQSVNatzQbv2JB0etZupsSNbwHTAmvrk8+XFFYQ sfwmH4UDArH32VamBZMLPCXhQ/1yJm4O4uqz92vmEc4Hyo0dSJ8ZPaGvJmrMOoSh HGLqSYyxIutF0nI08jWuh0c6AyhSnMqtGWj+/EZkYXvzRI3oJic3zIDDu6ew33EJ gyDkxP7PFCyBTF1XfO3GQoWLqjcEVKOgODLQSX57XIKyRqL/mE9zsq4i =oHfZ -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
1) Find the “Want to Read” button next to the book you’d like to shelve.
2) On the right side of the button, tap on the shelf icon (it looks like a few books learning against each other).
3) When the shelf list drops down, tap on a shelf name to add the book to that shelf.
4) The “Want to Read” portion of the button should now reflect the new shelving.
From Kindle Fire:
1) Navigate to the profile of the member to which you’d like to send the friend request.
2) On the top of the screen, tap the “Friend” button.
3) The button should switch to read “Friend Request Sent”.
1) Navigate to the profile of the member you’d like to follow.
2) On the top of the screen, tap the “Follow” button.*
3) The button should switch to read “Following”.
*If you don’t see a “Follow” option, the member has disabled following for their account. In that case, you can only send a friend request to receive updates on their activity.
Ask and answer questions about books!
You can pose questions to the Goodreads community with Reader Q&A, or ask your favorite author a question with Ask the Author.
Here’s more about both:
Readers can ask and answer questions about a specific book and “like” their favorite answers. To ask a question, visit the book’s page on Goodreads. (Use the search box at the top of the site to search for any book title.) Scroll down the book page, and you will see a space called Reader Q&A. You can also select “More Questions about…” to view other questions Goodreads members have asked. If someone answers your question, you’ll be notified on Goodreads and by email.
Ask the Author
Readers can ask questions and receive answers from their favorite authors. To ask a question, visit the author’s profile page. (Use the search box at the top of the site to search for any author.) Scroll down the author profile, and if the author is a member of Goodreads who is accepting questions you will see a space called Ask the Author. You can also select "More answers from…" to view all of the questions the author has answered in the past. If the author answers your question, the question and answer will appear on the author’s profile as well as in the newsfeeds of the author’s followers, and you will be notified on your Goodreads homepage and by email.
It is possible for members to change book covers, edit book and author data, and generally correct any inaccuracies. Much of Goodreads' data comes from Ingram, and occasionally the page number, author name, or publisher name is incorrect. To fix the data, look for the 'edit' link on any author or book profile page (lower right side of the box next to the image). However to keep the site clean we restrict this ability to people with 'librarian status'. We grant this status to users with at least 50 books who apply. If you don't have enough books, or don't wish to become a librarian, you can always post your issue in the Goodreads Librarians group for help.
To cancel your account on Goodreads, select edit profile from the drop-down list next to your picture in the header. Select the "settings" tab. Then select the "delete my account" link at the bottom of the page. Your account data, books, and friend list will be permanently erased.
Adding friends is easy. If you already have the profile link for someone you'd like to friend, just navigate to his/her profile, then click "add as a friend" beneath the "about me" section.
If you want to find friends on Goodreads and you don't have profile links, just click on the friends icon in the header, which is located directly to the left of your profile image. Then select the "add friends" tab.
On this page you have several options to add friends:
- use your Yahoo!, Hotmail, or Gmail address books to invite friends and see which friends are already Goodreads members
- invite friends by copy/pasting the message from the box and sending it to your friends using email
- search for friends already on the site using the 'find friends' box
Goodreads ads can be targeted to a set list of book genres or authors. Ads will only be shown to members who have rated the books in those genres or by those authors 3 or more stars. Age, gender, and country targeting is also available at no extra cost.
You can start a self-serve ad campaign for as little as $10.00, though we recommend you invest between $50.00 and $150.00 in your initial campaign. The self-serve advertising works on a cost-per-click platform (CPC), which only deducts funds when someone clicks on one of your ads. This means you pay the full amount for your campaign upfront, and Goodreads only earns that money if someone clicks on your ad. You can set the price for the clicks, and indicate how much you’re willing to have deducted on a daily basis.
Goodreads ads appear on all book discovery pages, including the homepage, search page, and when users browser books. You can find them on the page under ‘sponsored links’ or ‘sponsored books.’ We reserve the right to change the placements of the ads to provide the best possible service.
(This topic has now been broken down into subtopics for ease in using and editing.)
librarian change log
add a librarian note
sort by title
isbn - isbn13
published - month - day
number of pages
From Kindle Fire:
At the moment, it’s only possible to write text reviews for books you already own on Kindle.
Here’s how to write a review in that case:
1) Open the ebook you’d like to review.
2) Navigate to the last page of the book.
3) Swipe to the left as if you’re swiping to the next page.
4) You should see a black “Before You Go…” page. Tap “Review this book” at the top.
5) Enter your rating and/or review on the following page and tap “Submit” to post. If you’d like to post to just Goodreads or just Amazon, you can toggle back and forth by tapping “options” below the review box.
From Kindle Fire:
1) Navigate to the profile of the member you’d like to un-friend.
2) Tap the checked “Friends” button at the top of the screen.
3) An “Are you sure?” pop-up should appear. Tap “Remove” to confirm.
4) The checked “Friends” button should revert to the unselected “Friend” state.
Any registered member of Goodreads can ask or answer a Reader Q&A question. Any visitor to Goodreads can read questions and answers.
1) Click on "Groups" in the header.
2) Click create a group just above the "browse by tag" section on the right.
1. If you are already a Goodreads member, make sure you are signed in. If not, sign up for an account.
2. Search for yourself and click on your published author name. The author name is listed below the title of your book in the search results. If you do not find your book in our database of published works, please see our section on who can join.
3. Clicking on your name takes you to your basic author profile page. This page has your name at the top and "author profile" to the right of your name. This page is part of our database of books and authors and is separate from your member profile page (which lists your bookshelves and friends).
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click "Is this you? Let us know." to send a request to join the Author Program.
Please give us a few business days to process your request. You will receive email confirmation when we successfully upgrade your user account to an author account. Joining the program merges your author page with your member page. The email will also contain further instructions for managing your author profile.
At the moment, ebooks aren't eligible for giveaways simply because we haven't yet found a system that works as well and as seamlessly for them as it does for our print books. We are committed to providing a superior experience for the people who enter and win our giveaways, and until we can absolutely do that for ebook giveaways, we won't allow them. We are currently in the process of experimenting with a few different titles and a few different formats, so hopefully we will be able to allow ebook giveaways soon!
1. To add a book to your shelves, find the book by searching for its title or author in the search bar in the header. Searching by ISBN or ASIN (for Kindle editions) works best when looking for a specific edition.
2. On the book's profile page, you will see a green "want to read" button underneath its cover image. Click "want to read" to quickly add the book to your "to-read" shelf, or hover over the books icon (see image) on the right side of the button to add it to one of your other exclusive shelves (like "read" or "currently-reading"). You can also rate the book using the stars beneath the button.
Goodreads Librarians are members of the site who are dedicated to improving Goodreads' data. While they are not Goodreads employees or representatives of the company, librarians have the ability to edit book and author information, as well as combine separate editions of books to help aggregate reviews and ratings. That said, librarians do not have the power to enforce violations of the site's TOS (i.e. delete user accounts or user content like reviews).
In order to apply for librarian status you must have at least 50 books, then you can apply here.
To change the frequency (daily or weekly) or unsubscribe from the Goodreads update email or any other email, click on edit profile at the top right corner of Goodreads, then click the "emails" tab. All email settings can be controlled on this page.