Experiment BL626 Experiment BL626's Comments (member since Apr 10, 2011)



(showing 1-20 of 356)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

Dec 15, 2014 11:39AM

220 @Ayanna
You're missing the point that you are not the thought police. I admit to being belligerent, but the belligerence is mutual. Don't tell me the posts the fanfiction writers blogged over at Tumblr are not fighting words. Take this "goodreads, fuck you"-tagged, strawmen-filled post as an example.

There is no cultural appropriation going on here. Your use of the term is offensive. People having an opinion on things, in this case fanfictions, on a different part of the Internet is not cultural appropriation.

You may request how fans should interact in your fandom, but you do not get to dictate this is the only and right way to do so. You do not get to say the reviews are aimed at the writers; they're not unless the readers explicitly say they are.

It's common sense that when one post something on the Internet, whether that be a fanfiction or a review or a cat picture, people are going to have an opinion of it and they are going to post that opinion on somewhere the creator may hate.
Dec 15, 2014 10:29AM

220 Hatteress wrote: "Experiment BL626 wrote: "Kurikuri wrote: "It doesn't change the fact that my fanfiction is not a professionally published work and therefore has no business on this site. I, as the author, am reque..."

Your point a and b are fair points. Fanarts belong to their artists, and doxxing is wrong, which nobody here on GR has done with the fanfic writers AFAIK.

Further on point B, you don't need to tell me or any reader on the importance of pseudonymous activities. Readers here on Goodreads and surrounding communities have been accused of bullying, harassed, doxxed, stalked in real life, received death threats, threatened with job loss, sued for negative reviews, physically assaulted and ended up in the hospital bleeding at the head. All this shit occasionally makes the news. Here's a recent incident with screenshots and quotes.

These horrible things happen like clockwork, every 2-3 months and in a group of 2-3 separate incidents based on my observation. In fact, one of the criticisms of Goodreads is that they don't do enough to protect readers and lecture the writers about what is appropriate behavior.

"Fandom operates under a very strict culture of anonymity, a culture goodreads obviously doesn't share."

Actually, we do in some places. There may be writers here (well, writers can also be readers), but for some readers Goodreads serves as a safe place for them. Not every reader wants the writer's presence in their discussion of the writer's work. In fact, some readers hate writers commenting on their reviewspace (that space where a user can post their review, and it's not always a review because Goodreads allow opinion in general, barring things like defamation). Readers want the ability to discuss the text without the writers telling them in their face on the reader's own space that they're wrong or whatever. It's straight-up intimidation and borders on censorship if the intent is to silence the voice of the readers.

You have your safe place. Goodreads have its safe place. Nobody here has the authority to tell one person's safe place trumps another person's safe place. In your part of fandom, it may be common for the writers to interact with readers. But here on Goodreads and its surrounding communities, in particular on book blogs, it is advised you ask if the reader with an opinion of your work wants your writer's presence in the reader's space.
Dec 14, 2014 10:10PM

220 Kurikuri wrote: "It doesn't change the fact that my fanfiction is not a professionally published work and therefore has no business on this site. I, as the author, am requesting that these links be taken down."

Goodreads allow users to catalog reading material (within some constraints). All professionally published books are reading material, but not all reading material are professionally published books. Cataloging fanfictions is allowed here.

You have no authority to tell people not to catalog your fanfic, whether that be on their private blog or here publicly on Goodreads. You have no authority to tell people not to have an opinion of your fanfic on the Internet. You have no authority to tell people not to have an opinion of anything, period. You are not the thought police.

What authority do you have? You have authority over your work, meaning you can password-protect it or shut everything down. You have authority to blog why fanfic are special snowflakes and thus above analysis from outsiders' perspective. You have authority to blog about your anger and request your readers not to catalog your work on Goodreads. You have authority to tell Goodreads to delete reading material that are not allowed here, e.g. incomplete work, in such that Goodreads should follow its own rules.

Feel free to exercise all of that.

Now whether your readers respect your wishes or not is up to the readers themselves. But I beg you not to make demands of readers where free speech is concerned. The cataloging, the ratings, the reviews belong to the readers, not you.

Your supporters will respect your wishes, but please understand that a good part of the Goodreads community will not stand for writers who try to police reviews and demand them to shut up, even if it is only to shut up on Goodreads. So if some of the readers of your fanfic ignore your wishes, you will have to deal with it, because at the end of the day, readers' opinion belong to the readers just the same as your fanfic belongs to you and your fellow writers.

If my words are strong, it's because too many BBA events have happened on Goodreads and your wishes tread on that dangerous ground. I would hate to see you get ire for not understanding Goodreads' culture and trying to impose your part of fandom's culture here on everyone else.
Dec 14, 2014 09:42PM

220 Krazykiwi wrote: "This is a quite distinct difference."

A distinction that is completely lost on many fanfic writers by their over-reaction, of which is more appropriate for a piracy website.

I literally spent hours explaining to some of my friends and their friends on a friend's thread, and still a few don't understand it.
220 I found another duplicate. Please delete this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... and https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

They are placeholder for this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
220 Please delete this page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

It is a duplicate/placeholder of this page: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Apr 25, 2014 07:44PM

220 Julie V. wrote: "Hiya! How does this apply to books not yet released? Can we upload the synopsis with a cover and a tentative release date? Thanks."

Yes.
220 1. That is targeted at comments, reviews, photos, and the likes. Otherwise, by your interpretation, a book like Lolita and any quotes from such a book wouldn't be on Goodreads in the first place.

2. Report them here.

3. Yes, this group. You just spoke two Super-Librarians, paula and rivka. They said no (you requested, they didn't act on your request). Support is who you should contact if you insist.
220 Please merge this quote (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/8042...) into this quote (https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/3295...). Thank you.
Wrong Author (51 new)
Mar 21, 2014 02:53PM

220 Alexander wrote: "Hi,

This book (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) has been listed on my GR Authors account but it's by a different Alexander Rose. Would you mind moving it to the..."


Done.
Wrong title (6 new)
Mar 13, 2014 08:22AM

220 Done.
Mar 13, 2014 08:21AM

220 Done.
Mar 07, 2014 12:00PM

220 Fixed. Goodreads recognize you as "Steve^^Dunn" with two spaces in between.
Mar 03, 2014 03:56PM

220 Done.
220 Done.
220 Please delete this book because it's a placeholder imported by Amazon: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Jan 06, 2014 08:45PM

220 You're welcome. :)
Jan 06, 2014 08:26PM

220 Yeah, it's possible and, furthermore, completely acceptable. Just simply leave the ISBN fields blank when you create a new book page.
Jan 04, 2014 07:30AM

220 But shouldn't the fact that it's a manuscript and never published once be the determining factors? Availability is too broad of a word because that can potentially include rough drafts of a book sent to beta readers for beta reading. Is Goodreads now accepting drafts of a book as editions of a book?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18


topics created by Experiment BL626