Becky Becky's Comments (member since Mar 04, 2015)

Becky's comments from the SciFi and Fantasy Book Club group.

(showing 101-120 of 647)

1865 Charles wrote: "Becky wrote: "I hate when authors feel as though they need to shoehorn in characters of opposite gender just because romance sells."


1865 I hate when authors feel as though they need to shoehorn in characters of opposite gender just because romance sells.
Mar 07, 2015 07:53AM

1865 I don't think I have ever seen Ocean compared to The Stand before. That's definitely a first, and I'm not sure why they'd have anything at all in common. LOL

Anyway, Waddill, I personally love Gaiman's short story collections. Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders is fantastic.

I also loved American Gods, which I think has that has more in common with The Stand than Ocean would - though it's not post-apocalyptic or anything. It is more epic though. ;)
1865 LOL.. There's always one. And it's often me. ;)

Anyway, I have heard that quite a lot - that the 2nd and 3rd books are way better. But at the time, I was just extremely disinterested and disinclined to put in the time to read 3 books for a story I was pretty 'meh' about. Many people do love it though, so yeah, I'd say it's one of those books that one has to try for themselves.

A Monster Calls is phenomenal, though. So I'm in a weird situation with Patrick Ness in that I'm not sure if I like him or not as an author. It's pretty 50/50 - one book I loved, and another book I didn't.

Have you read anything else of his? I want to try More Than This, but I'm hesitant because I don't want to dislike it.
1865 I didn't care for The Knife of Never Letting Go. I don't think it was the style as much as a lot of plot holes and characterization and pacing issues. I didn't make it past the first book though. Maybe those things are explained/improved in the rest of the series. I didn't have the patience to find out. ;)
1865 Johan wrote: "Haha, the author even reviewed her own book :-)"

"[...]started to read it as though it was a real book."

So... it's NOT a 'real' book?
1865 colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ± wrote: "Becky wrote: "There's no logic to my reading habits. LOL"

So much temptation... "

Don't hold back, Colleen! LOL
1865 I actually don't know if "genre reader" is the right term for what I mean. I mean it in a 'I like A so I'm going to find more of A to read" way. Hope that makes sense. I don't think there's anything wrong with being a genre reader, and I don't want it to seem like I'm saying there is. Just... you know, to clarify that.
1865 I guess I've just never been a genre reader like that. Maybe that's it? I like a lot of everything, so I jump all over the place. There's no logic to my reading habits. LOL
1865 Charles wrote: "They were definitely a transition point for me between CS Lewis and Robert Jordan."

This sentence boggles my mind. I don't really understand this kind of reading evolution, in terms of how one 'grows up' from book to book to book. My parents let me read whatever I wanted, so I always did. I've read Judy Blume books right after a Stephen King novel. I still read like that. LOL
1865 True - I guess The Giver would be for a slightly younger audience. Though it still fits as far as 1) books which are worth reading and 2) are marketed toward younger readers. And it was recently remade into a movie, so there is that. ;)
1865 Johan, here are three books you could try. Maybe you'll like them, maybe you won't, but they are all multi-award winning novels with a "YA" designation.

A Monster Calls
The Book Thief
The Giver
1865 Johan wrote: "But my original point about the media business bombarding us with dumbed down crap is still valid."

Of course it is. It's just NOT limited only to YA.
1865 YouKneeK, I like your assessment and summary of the series better than I liked reading it directly. Thank you for that! :)
1865 Charles wrote: "I'm not sure what you mean by "new adult". The grittier, darker fiction?"

I wish! No, New Adult is the doormat girl has a controlling dickweed fall in love with her (for... reasons, I guess) kind of story, and it's supposed to be "romantic".

Example: Beautiful Disaster
1865 Sorry... she was the first to come to mind for me! :)
1865 Agreed, Charles. There's a lot of crap out there (for ALL ages of reader) and one has to sift through it to find the gold. That's always how it goes.

I personally abhor the trend of the last couple years which has seen the rise of "new adult" books. Which are, technically, marketed toward adults. That doesn't make it any better or worthy than something that is great (like The Book Thief) which has been marketed here in the US as being for teens.

Find the gold, people!
1865 It makes sense, but I just don't usually care for reading about it. LOL If I'm reading a romance, then fine, that's what I expect... but I really dislike romances masquerading as something else. Just tell me that the point is that person A meets and falls in love with person B and the kingdom/planet is saved by their alliance and I'm ok... but if it makes out that the story is mainly about the quest and is instead mainly about the romance, it's going to irritate me.
1865 Johan wrote: "Yes, I DO link realism to adult themes. And with adult themes I mean moral ambiguity, political controversy and complex problems that do not have simple solutions. The real world is not black and white."

Right. And the real world is not "adult" vs "YA" either. I'm not quite following how moral ambiguity and complex problems are reserved only for those who've reached their majority and are completely unknown to anyone under 18, or whatever magical cut-off is for what you consider to be adult-enough for them.

And I think you've missed the point regarding Harry Potter. It's not just that he's "immune" to Voldemort... (view spoiler)

I think I missed your point about Jesus... Wasn't he an adult? 33 surely must meet your criteria, right? Or does he not count because his story began when he still in the womb?

"Please, give me ONE single real world example in the whole history of the human race where a teenager has saved the day."

Since you ask SOOO nicely, here you go: Joan of Arc

You claim to not be bashing YA, yet your every comment is about how worthless it is and why the industry shouldn't be foisting it on society. Can you even acknowledge that the marketing designation can ALSO be applied to quality books, with original and interesting and important content? It's not all shoddy knock-offs and retreads of current trends.

Also, why do you specify Gaiman's short stories? He's written adult novels - do you not think that they qualify?
1865 Stephen wrote: "I just want a good story. I think romance should be secondary."


topics created by Becky