Jon Jon's Comments (member since Jun 11, 2008)


Jon's comments from the SciFi and Fantasy Book Club group.

(showing 21-40 of 894)

Sep 03, 2012 07:30AM

1865 I read this one a year ago for a difference book club here at GoodReads. Looking forward to reading the next book.
Sep 03, 2012 07:29AM

1865 I read this four years ago (see my review here). Many people forget that there's a subtitle to this book: Frankenstein; or the Modern Prometheus.

And, yes, I would consider this science fiction because, well, it based on science, or a scientist's experiment.
Sep 03, 2012 07:23AM

1865 Mark wrote: "Honest answer: I have no idea. So far I haven't planned any stories or books, I just start typing. I must have looked up at the end of one page and said to myself, 'I guess it's in the future then...."

I've read many of the Shannara books. Rather than classifying them as epic fantasy, I would now put them on my post-apocalyptic fiction shelf. I started but couldn't finish the Genesis of Shannara series, but that goes back to the very beginning (or ending ... depends on your point of view and place in time).
Aug 02, 2012 06:46AM

1865 Pupsi wrote: "This book starts with a weird premise and certainly did not make me want to instantly read this book. However one chapter in and I was hooked and have to say that this is one of my favourite Sci-fi..."

I completely agree. Had I read Forever War when I was younger (say in the late 70s or early 80s), perhaps I'd feel differently. But I read it after I read Old Man's War and I just couldn't put Scalzi's novel down.
Aug 02, 2012 06:43AM

1865 Mike? wrote: "It's interesting, because Redshirts was actually my first Scalzi book, and I didn't really like it.

Then I read a few of his short stories, and they were decent enough, and finally I decided to g..."


I also didn't care for Redshirts (it's probably my least favorite Scalzi novel to date). But still, I appreciated what he was doing from a literary side of things. The humor just really fell flat for me (and I'm an old Trek fan from the 60s!).
Aug 01, 2012 10:36AM

1865 I read this as an after-Christmas treat at the tail end of 2008 (click here for my review). It was my first Scalzi novel. Since then, I've gone on to read just about everything else he's published and I follow his blog, Whatever, and his Twitter feed. Oddly, I'm at least one or two books behind on the series that started with Old Man's War, although I do own them (just can't see to get them high enough in the TBR queue).
1865 Casceil wrote: "I have started the second book, but so far it looks really unpleasant (Antryg in the hands of the Inquisition). Does it get better soon?"

I can't remember ... and I'm not quite ready to start my re-read (more likely tomorrow).

Have faith. Joanna is one tough cookie and Antryg tougher than he looks (and more clever than most everyone else combined).
Jul 28, 2012 01:19PM

1865 I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Barbara Hambly for making herself available for this Question and Answer thread. My only regret is we didn't actually ask any questions in July (but some in late June).

Thank you, Barbara, for your participation.
Jul 26, 2012 06:37AM

1865 If you've finished The Silent Tower, you'll probably want to continue on to The Silicon Mage. I plan to pull it off the shelf this weekend and fly through it since everything is fresh in my memory now.

A third novel, Dog Wizard, released in December 1992, continues the story of Antryg and Joanna, as do three short stories available on Barbara's website under the Further Adventures section, including a brand new one released just last week.

I hope you all enjoyed meeting Antryg, Caris and Joanna.

I highly recommend all of Barbara's novels.

Thanks for joining me on this journey back to the 80s and back to Angelshand, Kymil, the Devil's Road and the Silent Tower.
1865 Ah, the rush to the end. I held off as long as I could to finish these last four chapters and the short epilogue, which is one of my favorite nostalgic bits in this book because when I read this book in 1985, I was neither married nor a mother. I was a college student studying mathematics and computer science, programming on supercomputers (not quite as advanced as what Joanna had access to). Passwords have come a long way (I routinely mistype my passphrases at last four or five times per day because they are very long and contain oddball characters).

That being said, however, I find it a bit odd that Gary, from our world, would set his password to a term common to the other world, when he had only been not-Gary for a matter of hours?

Did you realize before these last chapters why Antryg feared everyone, including Joanna?

I plan to pickup The Silicon Mage later in the week and probably read it over next weekend. While not completely a cliff hanger, The Silent Tower does leave us with a lot we want resolved.
Jul 19, 2012 08:18AM

1865 Elizabeth wrote: " I wonder if Barbara had this idea from the beginning or if she played around with starting from different POVs before deciding on this one. "

Sounds like a great question to post in the Q&A thread for Barbara to answer. :)
Eureka (376 new)
Jul 18, 2012 10:36AM

1865 Tad wrote: "I thought the ending was just about right. Just the right amount of wistfulness and melancholy."

That final drive in the rain, though, made me want to go back and watch the beginning of season one again. That was sooooo looooong agooooo. :)

I'm going to miss Eureak. :(
Jul 16, 2012 04:41PM

1865 I plan to re-read Silicon Mage as soon as I finish Silent Tower. I'm in.
Jul 15, 2012 02:01PM

1865 April the Cheshire Meow wrote: "I will be reading 'The Silent Tower'. I must! This is a fun read. I thought it was about Caris when I started it, too, but at that point I didn't know him. It's a good thing Joanna and Antryg came ..."

Glad you'll be joining us in reading The Silent Tower by Barbara Hambly. I enjoy reading all of her novels.

Not sure the Dark Mage will be an improvement over Gary ... but you'll have to read and find out. :)
Jul 15, 2012 01:59PM

1865 Casceil wrote: "I think the repeated references to Caris's training are there to emphasize how he "thinks," or doesn't think, since he has been trained to be an unthinking weapon who just follows orders. But now..."

Great observations and contrasts between Joanna and Caris.

I also like how Caris is always berating himself for 'slipping' like when he bows to Cedric and calls him 'Lord.'
Jul 14, 2012 10:18AM

1865 Chapter 11 (Joanna PoV) - Fugitives in the Sykerst hill country. Joanna describes computers to Caris and Antryg. Later, they chance upon the Prince Regent.

Chapter 12 (Caris PoV) - More abominations, but this time Joanna saves the day. Caris just dodges well. Rescued (or rather arrested) by Cedric, the prince's cousin.

Chapter 13 (Joanna PoV) - Dashing down the Devil's Road to Angelshand in Cedric's carriage. From one great dog wizard to another, we meet Magister Magus. Caris puts Joanna between a rock and a hard place, and gets her captured by the Witchfinders.

Chapter 14 (Joanna PoV) - The beginning of Joanna's Inquisition. Later, she meets Aunt Min, but doesn't stay long enough in the cell to learn much, except that many strange things occurred simultaneously twenty-five years ago, but the pieces won't slip into place. Antryg rescues her only to get both of them re-captured, this time by the Prince Regent.

Chapter 15 (Joanna PoV) - Antryg sweet talks the paranoid Prince Regent into releasing him and Joanna. He searches the Prince's room and finds ...

Can we believe what Antryg says about what he finds on the walls in the Prince's bedroom?

What happened in the attic? And to whom or by whom?

Joanna stated truly to Caris: "I don't know anything, really -- only what I've been told, either by you or by Antryg.'

And thus far, we only have Joanna or Caris' point of view to see what's happening.
Jul 08, 2012 06:39PM

1865 Mary JL wrote: "Btw, there is a third book in the series called Dog Wizard."

Thanks for reminding me. For some reason, I can't find my copy and I don't remember much about the plot. I think I see another ebook purchase in my near future.

Dog Wizard
Jul 08, 2012 03:29PM

1865 I have to agree with you both. Unfortunately (or not IMHO) the resolution occurs in the sequel, The Silicon Mage. I would encourage everyone to continue reading the series, as I don't believe you'll be disappointed.
SciFi Czar (9 new)
Jul 08, 2012 10:58AM

1865 Congratulations, Kim.
Jul 07, 2012 09:12AM

1865 Chapter 6 - an escape, disappearance, kidnapping or death? Or maybe all of them?

Chapter 7 - Caris visits Southern California

Chapter 8 - Joanna wakes up a prisoner in an all-to-real Renaissance Faire nightmare.

Chapter 9 - Who's a captor and who's a prisoner of this merry band of misfits?

Chapter 10 - Treatise on technology and progress (industrial revolution aborning) v. magical meddling

Did I miss anything? Plenty, I'm sure, but some of what I 'know' I don't want to reveal to first time readers. Just pay close attention to Antryg and Salteris' mannersims and reactions. All of which you see through just two pair of eyes - Caris and Joanna's.


topics created by Jon