Kandice Kandice's Comments (member since Dec 10, 2008)


Kandice's comments from the The Next Best Book Club group.

(showing 121-140 of 3,530)

Would you Rather? (3876 new)
Oct 12, 2014 11:07PM

1218 A job I didn't like, at least until I could get one I did!

WYR have a car you loved with 15 MPG or one you hated with 40 MPG?
Would you Rather? (3876 new)
Oct 12, 2014 11:02AM

1218 Shabby Chic

WYR have no indoor plumbing or no electricity?
Would you Rather? (3876 new)
Oct 11, 2014 03:38PM

1218 No legs.

WYR crap a softball or pee a marble? (from my son...)
Would you Rather? (3876 new)
Oct 11, 2014 10:24AM

1218 Lots of friends and few family. You get to choose friends. ;)

WYR Have a boss you co-worker in close proximity with bad breath or body odor?
Oct 04, 2014 09:28AM

1218 Pigletto wrote: "The Running Man from what I remember there are no fantasy aspects. It's pretty different from the movie as well."

That movie had nothing to do with the book except sharing a title! The book is great, and especially chilling since King wrote it many, many years before reality television was around.
Oct 02, 2014 12:27PM

1218 Tina wrote: "Did anyone notice that the back jack photograph of the boy on the drainpipe is actually of the author at age 7? Wikipedia said that some events in the book were drawn from Gaiman's childhood, such..."

I attended a panel at ComicCon 2013 where Neil Gaiman talked about this book and read the first chapter out loud. He told the story of the car being stolen etc. and said ti was strange because he had completely forgotten it until a few years before he wrote the book when his father brought it up.

He also said he wrote the book for his wife, Amanda Palmer, because he never talked about his childhood and she had so many questions. He said "Leave it to me to write my childhood as fantasy."
Sep 29, 2014 06:24PM

1218 Feliks wrote: "Don't ask for too much variety from King."

I disagree. He is often referred to as a horror writer, but I think less than half of his work is actually horror. He writes a lot of straight fiction and quite a bit of fantasy.
Banned Books (18 new)
Sep 25, 2014 09:01AM

1218 Book Concierge wrote: "Well I'm taking E&P off my TBR ... not because of the language or sexual content but because I find that authors who rely so heavily on such language can't write a sufficiently interesting narrativ..."

She doesn't rely on that sort of language, and rarely uses it in her other novels, but in this one, that is exactly the way the sort of people she was portraying would speak. To write characters in an unrealistic way makes them unbelievable, and language has a lot to do with that.
Banned Books (18 new)
Sep 24, 2014 01:56PM

1218 Ridiculous, right? Such a brouhaha over something that occurs every day.
Banned Books (18 new)
Sep 24, 2014 12:30PM

1218 Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. What makes this one a bit unique is that it was so recently written and banned. It's a wonderful story and so worth the read for anyone, but especially the teenagers it was kept from!
Sep 17, 2014 09:14PM

1218 Lori wrote: "A list of 96 dystopian sci-fi books.

So many great ones here (like Saramago's BLINDNESS and Vandermeer's ANNIHILATION) and so many good looking ones I now want to read! http://best-sci-fi-books.c..."


I've read 32, but there are quite a few more I would like to read.
1218 There have benn quite a few series I have purchased all off (Harry Potter, Masters of Rome, The Dark Tower, Carmine Delmonico, Sookie Stackhouse, Hunger Games, Parasol Protectorate and Clavell's asian saga just to name a few.

Recently I have discovered Nook Bundles. I've been buying a lot of series that way. You get the whole set, or a few bundles that make up the whole series, save a ton of money over buying them individually, and they are right there at your fingertips. The only drawback is that the series has to have enough volumes published already to make the bundle worth it.
Speak (29 new)
Sep 14, 2014 05:17PM

1218 Jessica wrote: "What are everyone's thoughts on the film Speak? Is it true to the book? Is Kristen Stewart's portrayal of Melinda and her struggles authentic?"

I thought the movie was good. I don't think Stewart is a great actress, but the silence of this character actually played toward her strengths. She was able to convey much of Mel's internal dialogue through facial expression which really "made" the movie in my opinion.

As far as the style, it reminded me of the "After School Specials" we watched in the 70's that were supposed to teach us the dangers of teen prostitution, drugs, etc. Not as moving as the book, but still worth watching.
1218 I have begun and finished many series. The few that I haven't finished are still ongoing or were crap so I gave them up. :)

Like you, I try not to begin a series unless there are already at least two published, but having said that, I never read a series one after another until the end without assorted books in between. Not even on re-reads.
Speak (29 new)
Sep 07, 2014 04:15PM

1218 I'm not excusing Mel's parents but I think that if you have a teenager that is not "acting out" you tend to chalk up changes in behavior to hormones or teen angst.They were, in no way, aware of what had happened to her, so it was easy to brush aside her silence and look at it as moodiness.

As parents we need to react to changes in our children but there is such a fine line between normal maturing and a real problem.

Like Jessica the sticky about Christmas decorating kind of hurt my heart.
Speak (29 new)
Sep 03, 2014 09:23PM

1218 Jessica wrote: "Is everyone enjoying Speak? I've read comments on other sites where readers have said they didn't "enjoy" Speak but rather felt "uncomfortable" while reading because of its subject matter. Has an..."

I hesitate to say I enjoyed the book because of the subject matter, but I can't say enough that I enjoyed the writing. Halse Anderson wrote about it so convincingly that I was uncomfortable as I read, but I think that's a good thing.

Reading about rape shouldn't be enjoyable.
Speak (29 new)
Sep 01, 2014 09:31AM

1218 I read this book when long before my children were of an age to read it. As they've reached the correct age I've shared it with them and have given it to many of my daughters friends. I think all teenagers can benefit form reading it.

Yes, it's about rape, but I think the message is so much deeper and broader than that. Silence can be a response to almost any tragedy and this novel shows why we should all use our voices. In any situation.
Aug 25, 2014 08:59PM

1218 The Gingerbread Girl is straight fiction. Nothing supernatural about it which is what makes it particularly chilling.
Aug 25, 2014 05:26PM

1218 Curious George by H.A. Rey

A boat on fire
Aug 25, 2014 12:43PM

1218 The Paddington Treasury The Paddington Treasury by Michael Bond

Let's see an elephant in water.


topics created by Kandice