Kathryn CA Kathryn CA's Comments (member since Nov 08, 2008)


Kathryn CA's comments from the The Next Best Book Club group.

(showing 41-60 of 423)

Your Latest Splurge (9853 new)
May 05, 2009 04:52AM

May 05, 2009 03:56AM

1218 Hey Lori,
Way to end the rant! I just want to throw in my two nice cents... I don't do the challenge to even finish the challenge, I do the challenge to read more. Before I found Goodreads and TNBBC, I had read maybe 10 books in the last four years for my own pleasure (not assigned in a class) but now I am reading a ton more. I think I am at 14 for this year only. I include YA in the challenge, because for me it isn't about finishing or racking up points or whatever. I currently have 140 and I know that I won't finish the challenge.

I read YA because I relate more to the characters in it and I feel like their agendas are a lot less pushy. But then again, I am only 20 so I am a young adult (when you take young and an adult and put them together... lol, sometimes I crack myself up). Anyway, I don't read them because they're easy. Sometimes they make me cry. Sometimes they're hard to get through. Sometimes they're BORING! But I think we can all agree that those same things happen when people read General Fiction...

I think that the great thing about the Seasonal Challenge is that people can fit the types of books they enjoy into most of the tasks. For me, I would not participate if it was real adult books only. I struggle to get through a lot of classics. I don't like pushy agendas (feminism, homosexuality, stem cell research, etc.). YA pushes these agendas a lot less, and that is why I read them. I hope that I didn't offend anyone. I just don't think that anything should be banned from challenges. As soon as you ban books, you ban people, and that is just wrong.
May 04, 2009 06:07PM

May 04, 2009 06:05PM

1218 Hey Kate... we have a lot in common! My name is Kate (well, Kathryn but people call me Kate) and I live in San Diego. Welcome to TNBBC. I will have to look into your novel. That must be so exciting for you!
May 01, 2009 01:51AM

1218 Westside Story (movie)
Your Latest Splurge (9853 new)
May 01, 2009 01:08AM

1218 Went to Borders today and got:
Princess of Gossip
The Book of Lost Things

and I bought Uglies on my kindle.
Apr 30, 2009 03:55PM

1218 Mel wrote: "LOL, Angela, July 11 is my bday. :-) "

My birthday is July 16th. Two of my best friend's birthdays are July 11th... July is a great month!!!
Apr 30, 2009 06:24AM

1218 What do you mean "in the actual group"? What actual group? I am confused. What are the rules???????
Your Latest Splurge (9853 new)
Apr 29, 2009 04:21PM

1218 I just got my latest order from betterworldbooks.com. It had in it...
The Secret Life of Bees
The Memory Keeper's Daughter
I was a Non Blonde CheerleaderMegan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys
Pepys A Biography
Deception Point
I am excited to get started on all of these.
What are you reading? (30020 new)
Apr 29, 2009 11:17AM

1218 Eric wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I am about 1/3 through with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!"

Kathryn, I have been intrigued by th..."


As long as you don't take offense about the fact that there are zombies in it then yeah, it is great... really funny.
Apr 28, 2009 06:50PM

1218 So far you have read 43 books... my personal goal is 50 so you have me beat by a lot. You'r edoing great!!! No thought of a goal though? That is cool, I am only wondering if nothing has popped into your head. Even something so simple as 10 a month or whatever? I think any book read is in your benefit so hurray for you!
Apr 28, 2009 06:47PM

1218 OMG, you are halfway to your goal of 75. You will make it for sure. That is a brillant idea to pay yourself for every book that you read from your own library. I buy way too many books... hmm, maybe I should implement that rule. Or even for library books. Books read that you don't have to buy!
Apr 28, 2009 06:43PM

1218 You can do it! 75 isn't extravegant... though it does beat my goald of 50...
Apr 28, 2009 06:42PM

1218 Wow, Fiona... good goal! You are over a third done and the year isn't ever a third over yet... You can do it for sure!
Your Latest Splurge (9853 new)
Apr 28, 2009 06:10PM

1218 April wrote: "I definately do not need any more books, I want more though... so I bought
His Dark Materials omnibus
and Chronicles of Narnia omnibus"


This might be a stupid question, but what does omnibus mean? I feel really stupid asking this. Does it mean that it is all the books in one?
What are you reading? (30020 new)
Apr 28, 2009 06:08PM

Apr 28, 2009 04:56PM

1218 Oh, I forgot to count Wagner. Still. WOW!!! It is true, though, what you say about the non-fiction. They do take longer to read then the fiction books!
Apr 28, 2009 04:26PM

1218 Wow, Kristen, you only have 3 more books to read until you are done with this challenge! That is great!!!
Apr 28, 2009 02:27PM

1218 Sara TX wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "That is what I was thinking, but then I thought that maybe because they are so disgusting, and you normally associate cute animals with spring animals, that maybe Cynthia wouldn't c..."

Darn, she didn't accept it. I though for sure it was a spring animal because I always see them in the spring. You're right, it is because of the rain and stuff. I wanted to read Snail Mail, No More. It is the squal to the book I just read, P.S. Longer Letter Later.
Apr 28, 2009 07:54AM

1218 saranicole wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I was wondering if a snail might be considered a spring animal? According to Wikipedia:
Some snails hibernate during the winter (typically October through April in the Northern Hem..."


That is what I was thinking, but then I thought that maybe because they are so disgusting, and you normally associate cute animals with spring animals, that maybe Cynthia wouldn't consider them a spring animal so I though I would check before I read my book.


topics created by Kathryn CA