Dan’s review of Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) > Likes and Comments

48 likes · like
Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laima (new)

Laima I read the first book and really liked it but I don't think I'll read the rest of the trilogy.


message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Laima wrote: "I read the first book and really liked it but I don't think I'll read the rest of the trilogy."

I liked this book but there won't be a Catching Fire-shaped void in your life if you never read it.


message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote Mockingjay suuuuuucks. Boat that basshole!


message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Sam wrote: "Mockingjay suuuuuucks. Boat that basshole!"

So it IS like Return of the Jedi...


message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote Gale turns out to be 2 ewoks standing on top of the other in a long coat.


message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Sam wrote: "Gale turns out to be 2 ewoks standing on top of the other in a long coat."

No spoilers!


message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy You'll either love or hate Mockingjay. While it was completely opposite of what I expected, I loved it and thought it was genius.

She throws you for a loop, for sure.


message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I like Return of the Jedi! Well apart from all the fake Ewoks but I like it a fair bit, not as good as the 5th in some ways, in others I like it more. Good review and I must admit that with the 3rd you will either like it or you will hate it. I liked it a lot, I thought the ending was harsh and bitter-sweet in a way that made me emotionally dissatisfied but thinking that it was a realistic ending and not one that was forced for reader's opinions.


message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jonathan wrote: "I liked it a lot, I thought the ending was harsh and bitter-sweet in a way that made me emotionally dissatisfied but thinking that it was a realistic ending and not one that was forced for reader's opinions. "

Yes. I think much of the dissatisfaction came about because it really takes some chances. It isn't pretty and it doesn't end with people walking into the sunset.

I also recommend reading The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy. Not all the essays are awesome, but a few do shed light on much of the symbolism and underlying themes.

It helped me resolve my initial let-down.


message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha I liked them all, even book #3, but I can see why a lot of people were disappointed by it - they are the ones who didn't get the Hollywood ending they hoped for.


message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam Quixote Trisha wrote: "I liked them all, even book #3, but I can see why a lot of people were disappointed by it - they are the ones who didn't get the Hollywood ending they hoped for."

I don't think it was that people "didn't get the Hollywood ending" and more that people were disappointed with the noticeably poorer storytelling choices and incredibly lazy writing in the third book.


message 12: by Trisha (new)

Trisha Okay, well the people I've talked to wanted a happier ending. No doubt there are plenty of others I haven't talked to (until you anyway) who fit your category!


back to top