Kemper’s review of Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) > Likes and Comments

40 likes · 
Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael I wish I could be more discriminating like you. Everything you say if absolutely valid and perceptive on weaknesses of plot design. But when I was reading this, I was just so caught up in the unique imagination of the tale, it was hard to be judgmental. When Katniss would regress under the pressure and expectations and then later was tough again, I just rode with it. Maybe it even made it more realistic, if you say that about an objectively absurd premise and generally simplistic portrayal of good and evil forces.


message 2: by Kemper (last edited Oct 03, 2012 06:53AM) (new)

Kemper Michael wrote: "I wish I could be more discriminating like you. Everything you say if absolutely valid and perceptive on weaknesses of plot design. But when I was reading this, I was just so caught up in the uni..."

I don't know if it's so much as me being discriminating as it as a case of this hitting a pet peeve of mine. It irritates me when the heroes of genre fiction sit around wringing their hands over the obstacles instead of taking action yet they're still portrayed as being important and special.

It really irked me here because I thought Katniss in the first book was a great protagonist because while she was vulnerable and confused, she was also constantly planning and acting to save herself. Seeing that character devolve into someone who just collapses at almost every development and is constantly clueless about what's happening around her was frustrating for me.


message 3: by Sesana (new)

Sesana I totally agree with what you said, even if it didn't bother me quite as much as it did you. I suppose it just made sense to me that, given everything she's gone through up to this point, Katniss would be having PTSD-like symptoms. Didn't make it fun to read those parts, though.


message 4: by Kemper (last edited Oct 03, 2012 11:39AM) (new)

Kemper Sesana wrote: "I totally agree with what you said, even if it didn't bother me quite as much as it did you. I suppose it just made sense to me that, given everything she's gone through up to this point, Katniss w..."

Yeah, I didn't want her to be a robot and not feel anything, but it seemed like every time she was on the verge of stepping up, she fell apart again.

(view spoiler)


message 5: by Sesana (new)

Sesana (view spoiler)


message 6: by Kemper (new)

Kemper Sesana wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)


message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Sesana wrote: "I totally agree with what you said, even if it didn't bother me quite as much as it did you. I suppose it just made sense to me that, given everything she's gone through up to this point, Katniss w..."

That's the way I viewed it. With a history of depression in her family and everything she'd been through, I thought it was more realistic that Katniss would at some point break under the strain of being made a martyr--a role she never actively chose for herself. I was impressed that, in a young adult novel, Collins chose to show how carrying the weight of such responsibility can ultimately be too much. Having said that, yeah, her not being a bad ass was a bit of a bummer.


message 8: by Kemper (new)

Kemper Amanda wrote: "Sesana wrote: "I totally agree with what you said, even if it didn't bother me quite as much as it did you. I suppose it just made sense to me that, given everything she's gone through up to this p..."

If it would have been played as Katniss being overwhelmed and losing it just one or two times, it would't have bothered me, but it seemed like the whole book was her falling apart and everyone else bending over backwards to try and keep her going.


message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Excellent points.
While reading this series I often wished Suzanne Collins had given this idea to another, more talented writer. We might have had a classic on our hands had that happened.
But I have to say, I was impressed with the not so cookie-cutter ending.


message 10: by Kemper (new)

Kemper Sarah wrote: "Excellent points.
While reading this series I often wished Suzanne Collins had given this idea to another, more talented writer. We might have had a classic on our hands had that happened.
But I h..."


Thanks. It was frustrating because Katniss was such a great character in Hunger Games but was just a mess in this one.


message 11: by Dan (new)

Dan I re-read this book with emotional problems her mother had in mind and it makes more sense, overwhelmed and out of place, anger, depression and seclusion would be typical - even if you agreed to the cause and was the poster child. too much too soon chaos ensues


back to top