Nemo (Young Adult At Heart)’s review of The Night Circus > Likes and Comments

110 likes · 
Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Glad I am not the only one!


message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna I loved it, but I did think it would be a lot creepier and more action packed.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) I didn't expect creepiness, and not exactly action-packed per se, but I did expect what I was actually told about in the blurb.

All in all I don't regret reading it because it showed me exactly how grand descriptions can be achieved, but I was disappointed.


Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) Great review. That blurb is one of the absolute worst in being a complete let down. I want to find whoever wrote it and make them...I don't know, read FSoG or something.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Thank you. I just couldn't believe it... it was like it was a different book.

That being said, The Night Circus stands on its own merits. It just wasn't for me.


Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) It was. I want to read the book that blurb was really talking about.


message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Your review cracked me up! I never read the back-of-book blurb so I had no pre-conceived ideas to spoil the fun. However, your points are well-aimed! If I didn't like my experience reading the story so much, I would have rated it as you did.


message 9: by Kendra (new)

Kendra You can’t just dance around in circles, waving your arms and going ‘woooooo, I’m so spooky and mysterious!’

Oh my God, your review was one of the most hilarious things I have ever read. I'm glad I read it before I decided to pick up this book today. Although I am a lover of beautifully written descriptions and prose, this book just sounds cheesy. Thanks for the laughs!


message 10: by Diana (new)

Diana I wonder if the reviews she got were... just fluffs.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) LOL you guys crack me up.


message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma I don't really find the prose perfect. The illustrations seem quite indulgent and there is an occasional awkward turn of phrase. But it was still nice language mostly


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Different strokes for different folks. I thought the way she described things was luxurious and luscious.


message 14: by Stella (new)

Stella Luceat What about her beating to death her readers with the word "that"? Did you not notice it? Just wondering, honest. Over use of *that* word is a huge pet peeve so maybe it's not an alarmingly obvious transgression to everyone else.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Stella wrote: "What about her beating to death her readers with the word "that"? Did you not notice it? Just wondering, honest. Over use of *that* word is a huge pet peeve so maybe it's not an alarmingly obvious ..."

I read the book some time ago so I don't recall the specific usage of the word 'that'. However, I will take your word for it. Pet peeves obviously stand out a lot more to individuals.


message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Merrell "You need to actually give me some answers. It wasn’t mysterious at all, it was just vague!" <--THIS! A thousand times, this.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Emily wrote: ""You need to actually give me some answers. It wasn’t mysterious at all, it was just vague!" <--THIS! A thousand times, this."

I'm glad you feel that way as well!


message 18: by Lissa (new)

Lissa I love your review and agree with everything in it. I could barely finish this book in the three weeks I had it out from the library. The imagery was lovely, but there was no plot, the romance wasn't interesting, and the time jumps and POV jumps were unnecessary and confusing. And wtf was up with that blurb? How can the blurb promise action and drama when the story moves at a glacial pace and then ends with a whimper instead of a bang?


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Lissa wrote: "I love your review and agree with everything in it. I could barely finish this book in the three weeks I had it out from the library. The imagery was lovely, but there was no plot, the romance wasn..."

The imagery really was something special, and I read in an interview somewhere the author said that was her favourite part, she wrote lots of vignettes and then had to come up with a plot. Unfortunately, that shows.


message 20: by Lissa (new)

Lissa I'm not surprised by that at all.


message 21: by Gee (new)

Gee This was so damn boring. Sooooo BORING. Your review was 5 billion times more exciting than the entire damn thing. I'm so mad that I bought into the hype. And I'm not the type to just not finish reading it. So here I am. Utterly FURIOUS that I was foolish enough to think that it would be any good. I hated it. I HATED it. I didn't hate Twilight as much as I hated this stupid book.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Gee wrote: "This was so damn boring. Sooooo BORING. Your review was 5 billion times more exciting than the entire damn thing. I'm so mad that I bought into the hype. And I'm not the type to just not finish rea..."

Awwww, thank you for your sweet words! And the rage. The rage is good, too.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Sherry wrote: "I love every minute of this book."

That's awesome, I'm glad you enjoy it.


message 24: by Lilian (new)

Lilian The point of the game was that slowly one of the two players would fall into despair and eventually either kill themselves or they would end up meeting to fight. The tents were just a way to try and cause the other to despair but they didn't know that. I get that you hate the book at times I did too but I do think that the way you say this book was explained to you in what you read or heard about gave you misconception so please don't blame the book.

Those who told you about it or those who wrote about it and you read it is more to blame than a book you didn't have to read. Still it is great you wrote you opinion. Also for me I was simply told it was a book about magic so I really know what to expect so I hope you did enjoy some parts and didn't hate the entire thing.


Nemo (Young Adult At Heart) Lilian wrote: "I get that you hate the book at times I did too but I do think that the way you say this book was explained to you in what you read or heard about gave you misconception so please don't blame the book.

Those who told you about it or those who wrote about it and you read it is more to blame than a book you didn't have to read."


I'm not sure you read my review. Do you realise I was talking about the difference between the really exciting blurb and the completely inane inside? THE BLURB. You know, the main marketing material. So I will blame the book for not delivering what it promised.

Also, I'm mystified by your statement that I didn't have to read the book. That's obvious, isn't it? No one has to read anything. But also in my review I said there were some things that I really enjoyed so I kept reading in the hopes that maybe eventually the blurb would come true.

But it didn't.

Maybe next time you criticise someone you should read their review first.


back to top