Stephen’s review of The Princess Bride > Likes and Comments

135 likes · Like
Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by j (new)

j i also think the movie's framing device with the grandpa and the sick boy is better than the book's overlong satire on the publishing world and the fictional William Goldman's failing marriage, etc.


message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Joel wrote: "i also think the movie's framing device with the grandpa and the sick boy is better than the book's overlong satire on the publishing world and the fictional William Goldman's failing marriage, etc."

I completely agree...I should have included that.


message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda This is one of my favorite movies, and I didn't think I had read the book, but reading your review, some parts sounded very familiar. So I wonder if I read it before I started keeping track of what I'd read. In any case, it's one I need to read (or re-read).


message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie One of my favs


message 5: by j (new)

j this review popped up in my feed and i was going to comment on how i hate the book's framing device, when i saw that i already said that three months ago. but i wanted to point out that i agree with me, and think i make an excellent point.


message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Joel wrote: "this review popped up in my feed and i was going to comment on how i hate the book's framing device, when i saw that i already said that three months ago. but i wanted to point out that i agree wit..."

And I would like to say that I agree with me agreeing with you both before you agreed with you and after you agreed with you that the movie's framing device was much better than the book. Previous me said I should include that in the review but now me obviously didn't listen.


message 7: by Milo (new)

Milo I wish the original version was still available. I haven't been able to find it anywhere.


message 8: by Kat (last edited Apr 05, 2011 12:11PM) (new)

Kat The introduction to the book (not the persona's intro, the real author's) is also a lot of fun, and it's proof yet again that when the author adapts his own work into movie format, the results are always WAY better than if some Hollywood writer does it.


message 9: by j (new)

j Milo wrote: "I wish the original version was still available. I haven't been able to find it anywhere."

what is different? is it just the updated introduction? i think i only read the 25th anniversary edition.


message 10: by Milo (last edited Apr 05, 2011 02:47PM) (new)

Milo Goldman cut out huge parts of the book, parts he thought were boring. While I'm sure that he was right to minimize it some I would've like to read the original. S. Morgenstern would undoubtedly be outraged with how his book has been tampered with.


message 11: by j (new)

j oh. uh, you know that's a joke right? the "original" version doesn't actually exist. he's just being funny with all the "good parts" stuff.


message 12: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Did you see the "Buttercup's Baby" addition to the 25th anniversary edition! He's a tease!!!!


message 13: by j (new)

j Eh?Eh! wrote: "Did you see the "Buttercup's Baby" addition to the 25th anniversary edition! He's a tease!!!!"

i did. it's like literature's most tortuously prolonged joke.


message 14: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy Yes, there is no actual original. This book was written by William Goldman. There is no Morgenstern. Just as there aren't really any fire swamps, etc.

Stephen, fantastic review! I love it! This is one of my all-time favourite books so I'm glad you managed to write one of your uniquely eloquent and awesome reviews to do it justice!


message 15: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 I have this book hiding behind my bookshelf. I don't know when I'll start reading after measuring the thickness of the book. Haha.


message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Joel wrote: "oh. uh, you know that's a joke right? the "original" version doesn't actually exist. he's just being funny with all the "good parts" stuff."

Yeah right...I suppose next you are going to say that Lovecraft was lying about The "Mad" Arab Abdul Alhazred writing the Necronomicon.


message 17: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kat wrote: "Stephen, fantastic review! I love it! This is one of my all-time favourite books so I'm glad you managed to write one of your uniquely eloquent and awesome reviews to do it justice!"

Thanks, Kat. This is certainly on my list of "most fun" reads. As I said in my review, I really wish they could have found a way to include the whole "Buttercup becomes the most beautiful woman in the world" segment because I thought that was terrific.


message 18: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy They couldn't because the year they made the movie, I was born and they could no longer claim Buttercup was the most beautiful woman in the world. Sad really. But I did love that part of the book!


message 19: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kat wrote: "They couldn't because the year they made the movie, I was born and they could no longer claim Buttercup was the most beautiful woman in the world. Sad really. But I did love that part of the book!"

Enjoy the title while you can, I think my 11 year old daughter has designs on the crown.


message 20: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy I'm happy to hand it over. I'm sure she more than deserves it!


message 21: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kat wrote: "I'm happy to hand it over. I'm sure she more than deserves it!"

Not according to my 6 year old daughter who believes that an "accident" may be her future if she ever gets the title...I think I need to go do some serious parenting.


message 22: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy For once I'm kind of relieved that I have two boys...


message 23: by Milo (new)

Milo Joel wrote: "oh. uh, you know that's a joke right? the "original" version doesn't actually exist. he's just being funny with all the "good parts" stuff."

Oh. Haha of course I was joking...of course. *sigh* I'm not fooling anyone am I?


message 24: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I just stumbled upon your review of this and fully agree with all you said!


message 25: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Thanks, Jonathan. This is a wonderful story.


message 26: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan I fully agree, my mum introduced me to it through the movie first and so naturally I had to read the book such a brilliant film was based on.


message 27: by Neelam (new)

Neelam inconceivable!!


message 28: by Krystal (new)

Krystal Givens I AGREE!! INCONCEIVEABLE!!!!!!!!


back to top