Jess’s review of City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) > Likes and Comments

138 likes · like
Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I knew the author as Cassie Claire too, and that's why I won't read her books.


message 2: by Lalita (new)

Lalita Thompson Ya`ll trippin


message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Lalita wrote: "Ya`ll trippin"

No, I'm not actually. I read the book and I was so utterly unimpressed that I wrote my review. It was not woven well, at all. And there were many inconsistencies, like Clary not being an artist and then being one. And that stuck out in my mind 3 years later.


message 4: by Linz (last edited Mar 01, 2010 09:07PM) (new)

Linz Haha, she isn't an artist and then suddenly isn't? That's ridiculous. Another thing that she so obviously borrowed from is Bleach, and she got away with it because Bleach is not a very common thing to most people. Bleach is an anime/manga, but the main idea is totally the same!! I read some of the story, and I was like, "What. This is exactly the same as Bleach, except for that Clary is a girl and Jace is a guy!" (Switched roles) And as I said in my review, I'm pretty sure that she did in fact watch or read Bleach because she knew what Shonen Jump was and what chibi were. So she steals her main idea from Bleach, and then Buffy, Harry Potter and Star Wars. I don't know why people like it. I suppose it may be interesting and intriguing, but certainly not original.


message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess Lindsay wrote: "Haha, she isn't an artist and then suddenly isn't? That's ridiculous. Another thing that she so obviously borrowed from is Bleach, and she got away with it because Bleach is not a very common thing..."

I've never heard about the Bleach comparisons, but the others? Oh, yes. She "homaged" everything she possible could. It was like fandom brought to life, which is not a compliment since she took the worst aspects. And you know, looking back, her story was like filed off fanfic. It had that catering to fans writing in some parts, even though she didn't have any for the series yet.


message 6: by SimBim (new)

SimBim Um...I liked it...


message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess Simirox wrote: "Um...I liked it..."

And that's fine. No one said you couldn't. I simply found the whole cribbing of other work to be cloying.


message 8: by Kanakland (new)

Kanakland I don't see how this is a copy of Harry Potter(haven't read Star Wars or Buffy). If there were similarities they were not strong enough to stick out for me. Unlike "The Legend Of RAH And The Muggles" with the main character Larry Potter, written well before...


message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess Kanakland wrote: "I don't see how this is a copy of Harry Potter(haven't read Star Wars or Buffy). If there were similarities they were not strong enough to stick out for me."

Well, the fact I HAVE watched both Star Wars and Buffy and read Potter, they stuck out enough that I commented on it. Actually, I read some Buffy tie-ins, too. They stand out because the pacing was awkward and obviously not transitioned well enough because it read like low-level fan fiction. Look at all the inconsistencies. One minute Clary can't draw, then she can. Jace is Draco-Spike with some definite Luke Skywalker incesty feelings to Clary's self-insert Leia.


message 10: by SimBim (new)

SimBim But, just because she was critized for plagiarism once doesn't mean everything she writes is a copy. It's worng to assume. It's okay, if you don't like it because of the writing or plot or something, but i know for sure this isn't a copy.


message 11: by Linz (new)

Linz Of course she didn't copy everything word for word, but so many elements of her plot are so obviously drawn from other people's works, which is not okay. So many people are accusing her of stealing other's ideas and making them "her own" by tweaking them a bit.


message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I personally can't see the Harry Potter tie ins nor the Buffy ones either. However, I completely agree with the Star Wars one, I was totally shocked and upset by that one. In the end though I thought it was a decent book.


message 13: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Nunes I agree in a way, there were some places where Cassandra 'borrowed' from other works. But I bought the second book because the plot wasn't to terrible, and I actually felt compelled to buy the second. I however have not felt compelled to read it.


message 14: by Tara Jay (new)

Tara Jay Williams I disagree. I thought it was a brilliant book. She had created a world that, yes, is similar to some other stories but when writing about the kind of fiction she has you are better off sticking to some guidelines of generalism to make it easier for the reader to comprehend. You tell me that there are books in the same catergory you've read and parts of them don't remind you of other books in the same catergory? I doubt it. The world she has created has left me wanting more, so I have to strongly disagree on your point.


message 15: by Linz (new)

Linz The similarity to Bleach is far too uncanny for it to be just coincidence. I just think she's a copier and I couldn't stand the book because it's just like BLEACH!


message 16: by Tara Jay (last edited May 17, 2010 09:12PM) (new)

Tara Jay Williams I'll read bleach and let you know, i still don't see it as plagerism


message 17: by Linz (last edited May 17, 2010 08:57PM) (new)

Linz Her whole idea was from Bleach. *sighs* This is what I wrote in my review.

What did she copy from Bleach? Shadowhunters, people who hunt and destroy demons to protect humans. Soul reapers, who hunt and destroy hollows to protect humans, which practically are demons. Clary has the unexplained ability to see these shadowhunters. Ichigo Kurosaki has the unexplained ability to see soul reapers. As it may seem, they BOTH get wrapped up in the whole demon/hollow deal. Now, although the roles are switched (Ichigo is a boy and Clary is a girl) isn't the resemblance somewhat uncanny? But that's not all. Rukia in Bleach can be likened to Clary. She has a friend that she grew up with for ages, Renji. she loves him very much. She meets Ichigo. Ichigo and Renji hate each other but are kind of friends at the same time. Simon and Jace.

Now, it's merely speculation on my part, but I'm pretty much positive that Ichigo and Rukia are going to be together (one is a soul reaper, the other a human), while poor Renji who has definitely loved Rukia all this time just has to tolerate it. Well, Clary and Jace end up together (one is a shadowhunter and one is a normal human), while poor Simon who has lover Clary all this time just has to tolerate it. Clary's mother was a shadowhunter (I believe) and kept Clary in the dark. Well, Ichigo's father was a soul reaper, and he never told Ichigo anything about soul reapers.

Lastly, Ichigo becomes a soul reaper, and Clary joins the 'shadowhunter fold.' These similarities were too much for me, since I love Bleach very much, so I quit reading this copy-cat book.


message 18: by Tara Jay (new)

Tara Jay Williams well i think you should read the whole book before commenting, are Ichigo and Rukia lead to beleive that they are brother and sister? does the bad guy turn out to be ichigo's unknown mother/father? and regardless i still loved reading the book and would read it again. I am going to read bleach and campare but i still stand by the fact that there are similarities between alot of books, what makes them different is how the writer portray's them. you could have the same story line, written by two different writers and the story has a completely different feel to it.


message 19: by Linz (new)

Linz Ichigo and Rukia aren't brother and sister--she obviously couldn't steal EVERYTHING from Bleach, but the main storyline is far too similar, and I just thought it was annoying. >.<


message 20: by Tara Jay (new)

Tara Jay Williams fair enough, but i don't beleive it is plagerism


message 21: by Mahesh (new)

Mahesh Subramaniam yeah i caught onto the bleach zampukato name thing, She does steal other peoples work but tbh she made it her own and the third book is one of my favorites. i think yor grude agansit the author is clouding your jugdement :O


message 22: by Linz (new)

Linz All the same, I don't want to read a book where the author either was too lazy to or couldn't come up with her own ideas.


message 23: by Rachel (last edited Jun 03, 2010 10:44AM) (new)

Rachel oh my gosh lol you just made me realize about Cassandra Claire and her Harry Potter fanfiction. I knew her name sounded familiar. I totally read all of hers and the Draco trilogy! hahaha. I haven't read any Mortal Instruments yet, and I'm wondering which opinion I will take when I'm done after reading these reviews.


message 24: by Aly (new)

Aly ok ppl stop hating on this book....yes maybe she did borrow some things from other books but realize that she was trying to appeal to the audience of harry potter ppl...and she obviously wasnt trying to say bad or even beat out harry potter...i personally HATE the harry potter series tho i still read it but for some reason cassandra did such a better job to me. i mean i REALLY love this series and book WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY BETTER THAN HARRY POTTER....harry potter to me was soooooooo dragged out but whatever i cant change your opinions about the books because its your opinion but dnt say she's copycat and stuff because at least she didnt sit on her butt all day doing nothing...she went out of her way to write these books which take time. so yea say what you want but keep that fact in mind


message 25: by Aly (new)

Aly Rachel wrote: "oh my gosh lol you just made me realize about Cassandra Claire and her Harry Potter fanfiction. I knew her name sounded familiar. I totally read all of hers and the Draco trilogy! hahaha. I haven't..."you should read the series and see if you like it. i think its good but other dnt so you should make your own opinion too!!!


message 26: by Aly (new)

Aly Lindsay wrote: "Her whole idea was from Bleach. *sighs* This is what I wrote in my review.

What did she copy from Bleach? Shadowhunters, people who hunt and destroy demons to protect humans. Soul reapers, who hu..."
AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH i didnt finish bleach yet......well whats made anyway....omg and um what season do you find out that ichigo's father was a soul reaper?


message 27: by Linz (new)

Linz I don't know. I found it out from a spoiler friend.


message 28: by Synesthesia (new)

Synesthesia Copying aside, am I missing something?
Why is Clary so in love with Jace?
He really seems like a jerk to me.
I'm missing something here...


message 29: by Irish (new)

Irish Lindsay wrote: "Her whole idea was from Bleach. *sighs* This is what I wrote in my review.

What did she copy from Bleach? Shadowhunters, people who hunt and destroy demons to protect humans. Soul reapers, who hu..."


omg, I didn't realized the comparison until you explained it. It did quite have the some scenarios.

I didn't like the book too. I bought it last year and until now, I'm not yet done reading it. I can usually finish a book in a day or two, but this one is really ... I don't know the exact word to express my feeling toward this book. But still, I will do my very best to finish it because I bought it.


message 30: by Camila (new)

Camila Tara wrote: "I disagree. I thought it was a brilliant book. She had created a world that, yes, is similar to some other stories but when writing about the kind of fiction she has you are better off sticking to ..."

I agree.authors sometimes are inspired by other great stories!so i dont think people should be mad at this wonderfull story!!


message 31: by Linz (new)

Linz Perhaps, but there's a difference between inspiration and blatant copying...


message 32: by Jess (new)

Jess Lindsay, exactly. THANK YOU. You get why I was upset with this book. I don't mind inspiration. The WORLD is inspiration. I mind the very cobbled together pieces that do NOT connect. I'm just as harsh on writers I love as those I don't. Why? Because reading is an investment - of time, as well as enjoyment - and I felt like my investment did not pay off. At all. All it would have taken was to use these elements, or plot devices, and create a world where inspiration was all it was. Story building goes along with character building because they're so dependent on the other. If you skimp on one, you're gonna lose out on the other.

And there is some meta to be said that her fangirls are commenting on her original work in the same way that they commented on her fan fiction. And some of those groups are not interconnected. Kind of disturbing, really.

I hadn't read many reviews before I picked up this book and my original review was too long to be contained in this site's requirements. I list why the characters bothered me. Why they do not work as a whole. But it does NOT invalidate anything when I'm specifically referencing what I've read - and I did read cover-to-cover - witnessed, or been involved in concerning other writers. It also doesn't invalidate the fact I've seen the Star Wars movies and the Buffy, show. I know what I'm seeing being ripped off because I've watched Buffy so many times I can't count. I own it. I don't like Star Wars but I still know the major plot points because I have friends who do enjoy it, rewatching frequently, so I get reminder courses from my childhood.


message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess Synesthesia wrote: "Copying aside, am I missing something?
Why is Clary so in love with Jace?
He really seems like a jerk to me.
I'm missing something here..."


Oh, and Synesthesia, I think it's part of the bad boy appeal. You know, the Billy Idol effect, where everyone thinks a good woman could domesticate him. Keeping him safe from harm and safe in her arms. Blech. It's pretty standard for media to use that now. Although, some are tamed bad girls (like with Grease 2). But there seems to be this pervasive idea that these jerks are the ideal men for all fantasies. I don't know why, either. I prefer a rough-around-the-edges-but-not-gonna-lock-me-in-a-cell-for-being-wrong hero myself.


message 34: by Crystal (new)

Crystal @Lindsay-I can think of several series that follow a similar premise. I don't think it's copying so much as a popular UF genre trope. Just my opinion-I'm neither a hater or fangirl.


message 35: by Jess (new)

Jess Crystal wrote: "@Lindsay-I can think of several series that follow a similar premise. I don't think it's copying so much as a popular UF genre trope. Just my opinion-I'm neither a hater or fangirl."

Yes, but tropes are usually not so...closely followed as the "inspiration." You can tell the Buffy bits in the book, where Jace is almost identical to Spike - or Draco from the trilogy.


message 36: by Tara Jay (new)

Tara Jay Williams you have too much time on your hands. there is no way i would go that far to depict personal charater sililarity's , likeliness or whatever just from 'bits'


message 37: by Jess (new)

Jess Tara wrote: "you have too much time on your hands. there is no way i would go that far to depict personal charater sililarity's , likeliness or whatever just from 'bits'"

Uh, it's not a lot of time when you're well-acquainted with the original source material. There are big honking similarities, which if you read a lot of reviews on the web people from different circles noticed. That should tell you something. I've watched all seven seasons of Buffy, repeatedly, and even read some of the early books. If something reminds me, I note it. The whole point of a review is to give an honest opinion.


message 38: by Julie (new)

Julie S. In response to the comment about how she can't draw and then she can:

She draws pretty early in the book. It's on page 18 of the copy that I read.


message 39: by Gypsy (new)

Gypsy I don't understand about the fact that some people think that cassandra copied harry potter and star wars and buffy? I din't get why most of you are haters!?. What ever, i love the series!


message 40: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn Actually, I noticed some similarities to the 'His Dark Materials' series by Philip Pullman as well.


message 41: by Brandy (new)

Brandy I think that NO MATTER what book you read there are going to be similarities to other books, especially when those books are or were bestsellers. THAT DOES NOT MEAN SHE IS STEALING FROM OTHER AUTHORS OR BOOKS, there are sooo many YA books out there right now that its hard to not find something in common with all of them. I think she did a good job and also this is geared toward a younger group of people, not adults and most kids wouldn't look badly on things being similar to others of there favs. Its just something to think about...


message 42: by Cara (new)

Cara Absolutely there are so many vampire books these days it's crazy but do you see other authors saying you stole that from me? No this book, Harry Potter, and Buffy sold greatly give them the props they deserve.


message 43: by Taxandria (last edited Oct 13, 2010 05:54AM) (new)

Taxandria Laura wrote: "I knew the author as Cassie Claire too, and that's why I won't read her books."

So true. I remember the Draco Dormiens/Veritas .. whatever series (which she pulled from the net curiously enough but I do have a pdf file of it) which was RIFE with borrowed stuff. I remember pointing out an exchange that she stole straight from an episode of Red Dwarf and didn't even credit the show or anything. It has put me off to her stuff, though I am giving this book a chance. I think a lot of people here won't understand unless they were IN the Harry Potter fandom so many years ago where CC is/was a BNF. They don't know the history and weren't there for the controversies. Too bad really because her Very Secret Diaries were utterly hilarious.

That said, I think MANY writers today are lifting from various sources. Hush Hush has so many Twilight similarities it wasn't funny.


message 44: by Taxandria (new)

Taxandria Tara Jay wrote: "fair enough, but i don't beleive it is plagerism"

You have to see the Draco series for all the plagiarism. Direct quotes, straight from source material which she was called out on repeatedly.


message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine What is so similar to Harry Potter, Buffy, and Star Wars? I've read/watched all of these and am finding weak tie-ins at best. I'm sorry, I'm trying to figure this out, I really am, but it's not coming to me, and I'm looking for it. (I'm about halfway through the book right now.) I did have one small Star Wars moment (as I'm assuming the bad guy is her father, and even though plenty of other stories have done that I make the instant connection every time they do). The only Buffy parallel I'm getting is that she's 15 and killing demons, but that's a pretty weak connection. I've got nothing on Harry Potter...nothing at all except that they're writing in the same genre.

Like I said, I'm about halfway through so maybe something will come together in the last half of this book (which I'm enjoying so far), but this isn't the only review I've read that makes this accusation and I'd love some clarification.


message 46: by Julia (last edited Nov 01, 2010 07:32PM) (new)

Julia Heres the rule, you dont like it then you dont read it. Dont go kickin stories that other people like me would love to read over and over. So DONT read if you DONT LIKE. kk, thx :)


message 47: by Julia (new)

Julia Brandy wrote: "I think that NO MATTER what book you read there are going to be similarities to other books, especially when those books are or were bestsellers. THAT DOES NOT MEAN SHE IS STEALING FROM OTHER AUTHO..."

your right, some people might take little pieces because some people may steal before the other is published, some cant find their own plot, and some accidently relate. Its like music, listen, like or dont like, move on


message 48: by Mari (last edited Nov 05, 2010 01:23PM) (new)

Mari I hated the book, but I don't think that the Silent Brothers are in any way like the Bringers, or like Dementers! What do they have in common with Dementers besides a cowl and hood? They are like monks. There are silent Monks everywhere. Just a few books with eerie, silent monks would be "the Name of the Rose" Umberto Echo. :The DaVinci Code" and many more. There really were silent orders of monks inbhistory, and monks really did mutilate themselves. They also were learned in healing. So the truth is the Silent Brothers simply resemble historic monks, just like so many other characters in other books. Thats not even a tiny bit like plagerizing. If you think that why are you not accusing Harry Potter books of plagerizing Gandalf from JRR Tolkien. Dumbledore is much more like Gandalf then the Silent Brothers are like Dementors!!!


message 49: by Mari (new)

Mari Julia wrote: "Heres the rule, you dont like it then you dont read it. Dont go kickin stories that other people like me would love to read over and over. So DONT read if you DONT LIKE. kk, thx :)"

Do you understand what a reviwe is for? Its to tell people what youy liked and what you didn't like. If you are easily offended, then don't read reviews!


message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess Christine wrote: "What is so similar to Harry Potter, Buffy, and Star Wars? I've read/watched all of these and am finding weak tie-ins at best. I'm sorry, I'm trying to figure this out, I really am, but it's not com..."

If you watched Buffy, and you read, Jace is a Spike rip-off. A direct one, which is what Draco was as well. But you'll find out more when you finish the book. Once you get that done, if you can, email and I'll review more in depth. I don't want to spoil people, not the major points. As for the Harry Potter, if you've read her fanfic, you'll notice the connections. As other people have said.

I don't check this back regularly, sorry guys. I'm confused as to how my review got to be so polarized when I was far less scathing than many reviews I've seen on the 'net. I noted what I found and commented on it. It's not up for debate: it's my views on topic. Telling me basically STFU because it's different? Oh, yeah. That's gonna make me think it's a well-thought out reply to my post.


And as for the Silent Brothers, sorry you feel like that but I write what I connect to. For me, it felt a lot like the Bringers, especially during season 3 in "Amends." There was a malevolent feel to them, for me. Much like the Dementers. And they didn't work in the plot.


« previous 1
back to top