Stephanie’s review of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking > Likes and Comments

401 likes · Like
Comments (showing 1-50 of 118) (118 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Love this review, Stephanie.


message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Stephen wrote: "Love this review, Stephanie."

Thanks Steve.


message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Great review! I'm also an introvert and I think I may need to read this book now.


message 4: by Carol. (new)

Carol. It is empowering to learn you are an introvert in an extrovert world--suddenly there are good reasons why a giant group of people sounds like a horrible time to me, and to others it sounds like 'fun.'


message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Pamela wrote: "Great review! I'm also an introvert and I think I may need to read this book now."

Pamela, thanks. I think many of us readers are introverts. If you are interested in the subject, Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work is what first interested me in the subject. I had to take it for work and became completely fascinated.


message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Carol wrote: "It is empowering to learn you are an introvert in an extrovert world--suddenly there are good reasons why a giant group of people sounds like a horrible time to me, and to others it sounds like 'fun.'"

Depends on the group.


message 7: by John (new)

John Excellent review! I'm an introvert as well, and totally understand the difficulties at times working in an office environment, or with a lot of co-workers in general.

There was a bit about this book on NPR on January 30th:

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/30/1459302...


message 8: by Manny (new)

Manny Great review!

“There’s no I in team” and that is a damn dirty shame.

My favorite exchange from Team America, World Police:

Spottswoode: [sententiously] There is no I in Team America.

[brief pause, then]

I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.E.N.C.E: Yes there is!


message 9: by B0nnie (new)

B0nnie Reading your review (and a very nice review it is) the words "introvert" and "extrovert" just struck me as being very stupidly funny - try saying them over and over and over


message 10: by Stephen M (new)

Stephen M Nice review. I get the feeling that the majority of people on this site are introverts.


message 11: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Excellent review, Stephanie.

Being very introverted myself, I plan on picking this book up ASAP.


message 12: by Kemper (new)

Kemper I would have voted for this review but I'm too introverted.


message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Kemper wrote: "I would have voted for this review but I'm too introverted."

Ha.......you are funny!


message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Brandon wrote: "Excellent review, Stephanie.

Being very introverted myself, I plan on picking this book up ASAP."


Thanks!


message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Stephen M wrote: "Nice review. I get the feeling that the majority of people on this site are introverts."

I think you're right.


message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie B0nnie wrote: "Reading your review (and a very nice review it is) the words "introvert" and "extrovert" just struck me as being very stupidly funny - try saying them over and over and over"

Thanks Bonnie.........I know, they are funny. They sound a little dirty :)


message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Manny wrote: "Great review!

“There’s no I in team” and that is a damn dirty shame.

My favorite exchange from Team America, World Police:

Spottswoode: [sententiously] There is no I in Team America.

[brief pau..."


Thanks Manny. Yeah, that exchange is perfect.


message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie John wrote: "Excellent review! I'm an introvert as well, and totally understand the difficulties at times working in an office environment, or with a lot of co-workers in general.

There was a bit about this bo..."


Thanks John, for the link and kind words.


message 19: by Aerin (new)

Aerin Oh man, the fear/reward thing rings sooooo true for me.


message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Aerin wrote: "Oh man, the fear/reward thing rings sooooo true for me."

I know......right?


message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Stephanie wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Great review! I'm also an introvert and I think I may need to read this book now."

Pamela, thanks. I think many of us readers are introverts. If you are interested in the subject,..."


That would make sense. I don't have many friends who are readers, but the ones I do have that are regular readers are pretty introverted. It's really interesting to me too, I'll definitly check that link out you mentioned also.


message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Stephanie, I just looked at that link real quick. That book is about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, have you found out what your type is? Mine is INFJ.


message 23: by Mona (new)

Mona Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I have this on my to-read list too. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Introverts are motivated by fear. So they do things more cautiously, careful not to mess things up in the process of getting to a goal. That sounds like me. It’s doesn’t sound cool that I am afraid to F things up, but I am.

Yes, this sounds like me too. I've been noticing it more and more in my job search. I never tied it to my introvertedness, but it's an interesting observation and makes sense.


message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Pamela wrote: "Stephanie, I just looked at that link real quick. That book is about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, have you found out what your type is? Mine is INFJ."

I am an INTP, the same personality type as Jung who was behind this whole personality type thing.....no wonder I find it fascinating. The description fits me, totally.


message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Mona wrote: "Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I have this on my to-read list too. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Introverts are motivated by fear. So they do things more cautiously, careful not to mess..."


Good luck on your job search. Any progress?


message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Aerin wrote: "Oh man, the fear/reward thing rings sooooo true for me."

In the book the author compares an investment firm run by introverted people as opposed to all the extroverted Wall street investors. When the market tanked all those who invested with the risk taking extroverts (and did so because of how confident they seemed) lost their shirts. But the people who went with the careful introverts did just fine, in fact they did well. Not many invested with the quiet ones....too bad for them. What this shows is that there should be a good mix of both to make things work, the problem is....no one hears from the introverts.


message 27: by Peter (new)

Peter Very good review!

I'm an INFJ too. I wondered why the test administrator treated me like some kind of science experiment. She told me that we're just just 3% of the population, and she had never met an INFJ in 30 years of testing. Umm ok.. It just means I'm a type of introvert... Not some kind of total oddball.


message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Peter wrote: "Very good review!

I'm an INFJ too. I wondered why the test administrator treated me like some kind of science experiment. She told me that we're just just 3% of the population, and she had never ..."


thanks Peter. Nope you are not an odd ball. I tested INTP which is 1% of the population, supposedly, and female ones are even harder to come by. Yet all the artists in my department (4) at the time tested INTP. I guess that is the ESTJ who hired us was attracted to.


message 29: by Nancy (new)

Nancy An INFP here. As Susan points out, many of us go through life forcing ourselves to be an E because that's how we were socialized in grammar school. Thankfully, I had one of the life-changing events that brought me to myself. I've been happier in the last 9 years of my life than I was the first 44 combined.

If only I could now convince my boss that there is nothing "wrong" with how I relate, and oh so much value if they'd let us (more than half of our department - all writers - are introverts) be who we are.


message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Nancy wrote: "An INFP here. As Susan points out, many of us go through life forcing ourselves to be an E because that's how we were socialized in grammar school. Thankfully, I had one of the life-changing events..."

Oh I know. It's so annoying that people think there is something wrong with not wanting to be loud and obnoxious.


message 31: by Edmund (new)

Edmund Davis-Quinn I am guess an ambivert, but I definitely need to recharge by myself often with music and would HATE a Tony Robbins weekend


message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Thanks Kat!


message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Your election day story sounds sooo much like experiences I have had in drama and school. I love being around people, but I can only take it for so long before I feel tired and hoarse from trying to keep the charisma energy up.

Fear is certainly an important factor for introverts, but I don't think I would call it a motivator. I think of it as an inhibitor that slows me down when combined with my perfectionist tendencies. My real motivator is the desire to entertain and create something that would make introverts happy. I'm sort of both, introvert and extrovert, I guess. Focused on making people happy, but they drain me and I need lone wolf time to create stuff, then I need some people around again to bring me out of my shell and enjoy the stuff I make and other people make.


message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Teresa wrote: "Your election day story sounds sooo much like experiences I have had in drama and school. I love being around people, but I can only take it for so long before I feel tired and hoarse from trying ..."

No one is exclusively extrovert or introvert, you simply have a preference for one or the other, but you can be extroverted if that's not your leaning. For some the preference is strong, others not so much. Some people are ambiverts, having no real preference.

The people pleasing thing is probably more due to Feeling/thinking part of the Meyers Briggs type indicator, a personality test developed using jung's
work.


message 35: by Suresh (new)

Suresh Chauhan excellent review...will read the book soon


message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Suresh wrote: "excellent review...will read the book soon"

Thanks!


message 37: by Steve (new)

Steve Sckenda In the United States our culture is biased towards the extrovert. We are about the loudness, the out there, the utter insanity if you will.

You should see me go to vote in Oklahoma. Election workers ask: "Republican?" As loud as I can, I say, "Oh God NO! (like they just implied I was a child molestor) DEMOCRAT please!" (The greener the better as far as I'm concerned.) Election worker: "Well let's see, we've got that somewhere. Oh sure we've got plenty of those because nobody ever asks for it." (I'm exaggerating.) I should just stay home because I am out voted 1000-1 in this tea party state, but one man in the right makes a majority-- or some platitude like that to make me feel I matter.


message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Steve wrote: "In the United States our culture is biased towards the extrovert. We are about the loudness, the out there, the utter insanity if you will.

You should see me go to vote in Oklahoma. Election work..."


I'm all for dropping the electoral college and go straight popular vote, that way every vote really does matter. No more swing states, red states, blue states, even purple states.......I live in the most important swing state (we get so much attention), that can make a political geek like me feel special. But I'm willing to give it up!

Keep voting .....drag any other progressives along with you.


message 39: by Steve (new)

Steve Sckenda Stephanie wrote: "Steve wrote: "In the United States our culture is biased towards the extrovert. We are about the loudness, the out there, the utter insanity if you will.

You should see me go to vote in Oklahoma...."


Yes, let's drop electoral college and level the playing field. It gives small states too much power. Each small states gets 2 senators and thus an extra 2 votes in the college. Good luck finding 2/3 majority of states (small states, esp.) to ever agree to that change. It won't happen, but it should.


message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie "It won't happen, but it should."

That sentence to so much these days! But with the current congress vowing to do nothing until the election (Mitch 'McLipless' McConell said this publicly) and WE pay them$30 million day), I don't have any hope of things changing until we remove the teabaggers.


message 41: by Trudi (new)

Trudi "teabaggers"...*snicker* Great review Stephanie. I have this loaded on my iPod and will be getting to it soon.


message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Trudi wrote: ""teabaggers"...*snicker* Great review Stephanie. I have this loaded on my iPod and will be getting to it soon."

Hey, they named themselves that in the beginning. I have one word for them.....Google.

Thanks.


message 43: by Casey (new)

Casey What a witty review. I'm so excited to get my hands on this book! I've been in your EXACT situation (Ohio voting polls, 300+ people, stupid o'clock...) and it was a satisfying nightmare. Anyway, thanks for further inspiration to support the cause with this read. :)


message 44: by Gayle (new)

Gayle What a great review! I too am an introvert who worked as an election judge for years--totally needed to climb in my cocoon when I got back home.

I was so excited when I read that someone wrote a book about introverts, I couldn't wait to get it! I'm thinking, "Finally someone noticed!


message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gayle wrote: "What a great review! I too am an introvert who worked as an election judge for years--totally needed to climb in my cocoon when I got back home.

I was so excited when I read that someone wrote a ..."


Thanks! And when you're "Quiet" it is hard to GET noticed.


message 46: by Noelle (new)

Noelle Awesome review!! I'm definitely reading this book now -- thank you!!


message 47: by Brian (new)

Brian There is a hidden "I" in TEAM - look at the holes in the letter A (if capitalized).


message 48: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Noelle wrote: "Awesome review!! I'm definitely reading this book now -- thank you!!"

Thanks! So it looks like you liked it :)


message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Brian wrote: "There is a hidden "I" in TEAM - look at the holes in the letter A (if capitalized)."

Those sneaky I-s! A stealthy "I".


message 50: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Fantastic review, I can't wait to read this!


« previous 1 3
back to top