Questions, Questions

Questions, Questions

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  39 reviews
How do birds learn how to sing?
What brings summer after spring?

What turns the leaves from green to brown
and sends them floating gently down?In thirteen engaging couplets, Marcus Pfister opens children’s eyes to the wondrous mysteries all around them....more
Published March 1st 2011 by NorthSouth

Kim
Mar 23, 2011 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, nature
A beautiful book, but I don't see kids being okay with a book full of unanswered questions. I haven't read this with a kid yet, but I just have this feeling it's one of those books that adults would love more.
Tasha
This colorful book asks question after poetic question about our world. The questions range in subject, but are all simply and beautifully written:

What makes fire burn red and gold

and makes it much too hot to hold?

and

Does a whale make up a song

so other whales will sing along?

Told in gentle verse, the book celebrates life, including whales, fish, seeds, butterflies and much more. The simplicity and tenderness of this book make it exceptional.

Pfister’s art work is done with a different technique...more
Melissa
I love, love, love the illustrations. The texture is amazing. The composition is understated but thoughtful and pleasing, and the colors are bright but not at all crayon-boxy. The technique (acrylic paint stamped onto paper with cardboard shapes) would be super fun to share with kids.

I am feeling too grown-up and pragmatic today, however, to enjoy the questions. ("How do birds learn how to sing? / What brings summer after spring?") I was hoping for more imaginative ones, but I understand that f...more
Eva Leger
This might be titled Unanswered Questions, Questions. On one hand, the unanswered questions in the book do allow the child to latch on and answer themselves, or ask more about whatever subject(s) interest them.
On the other hand, it's kind of annoying to have a book full of questions with no answers.
The illustrations are the best part of the book but I do have to admit the text is rather rhythmic to read out loud.
More observant children might take the ending away with them also.

Birds and flowe...more
Amanda
Marcus Pfister's new picturebook engages children in questions about the natural world. The bright illustrations are done by applying acrylic paints to cardboard blocks and using them as stamps. Children will love the texture, the bright colors and the foil elements reminiscent of his Rainbow Fish books. The simple rhyming couplets on each page encourage children to think about animals, plants, the weather, and many more things in the natural world. Each double page spread is a treat. The simple...more
Megan
My 5 yr. old answered or demanded answers to some of the questions and dismissed a few as absurd. Some of the questions are open-ended while others are fairly straightforward. None were as imaginative as I'd hoped, and the whole thing seemed just a little odd to me. I enjoyed the illustrations except for the ubiquitous shiny bit, a carry-over from Rainbow Fish. This is a better book than the Rainbow Fish oeuvre, and it did generate a fair amount of discussion with my 5 yr. old, so perhaps it des...more
Kimberly.miller
This book is filled with rhyming couplets. There are serious questions, silly questions, and questions students may never have thought to ask. I enjoy this book because it begins to spark curiosity for students as they think about the world around them.
I would use this book to teach students how to write a question and how to use a question mark. We could create a book with our own questions in it and then look up the answers and create a book of answers. We could compare and contrast the quest...more
Paul  Hankins
Ladder this one up with Pablo Neruda's BOOK OF QUESTIONS. . .invite students to create a series of questions of their own to which they may already know the answer or to foster a sense of inquiry. Pfister's book might work well with Jeff Anderson's approach to Classical Invention (modeling of questions to arrive at possible solutions or invitations to write).
Shanshad Whelan
Pretty pics and lyrical text , but the questions don't get answered, nor does their seem to be any ordering to them. Basically a book encouraging kids to question and wonder about things. The little glittery additions on each page are attractive, but don't really serve a huge purpose other than the oooh factor from kids.
Dayna
Really nice book with gentle open ended discussion questions. WE loved the illustrations the best. The Author/Artist explains his technique in detail and we will definitely be using this book to spring board into a summer painting project. Nicely done!
Becky
Bright, simple illustrations done by stamping cardboard shapes coated with acrylic paint, with a touch of silver foil which I guess you have to have if you are Marcus Pfister. Both techniques would be fun for a kids' book art class!
Samantha
This book would make for a pretty interesting read aloud, especially because it would be fun to hear how a child might answer some of the questions posed. Beautiful artwork! Just absolutely amazing!
Powers Family
We all enjoyed the questions this book asks and the art style especially finding the shiny part on each page. This is a good book for kids to mimic and come up with their own wondering questions.
Andrea Retana
This book would be a good way to teach students about observations and questioning in science. Many of the questions in the book can be used to engage students. I enjoyed the book and illustrations.
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
A bright and cheerful picture book with a scientific theme. It poses a series of questions about how the natural world works, promoting an inquisitive approach to experiencing our planet.
Camille
Get a load of the marvelous illustrations in this book! Makes me want to sponge paint the day away! As far as the text, its along the lines of If... by Perry: It just makes you think.
Meghan Hunt
The illustrations in this book are gorgeous and many thoughtful questions about the natural world are expressed. I highly recommend this book for young, inquiring minds.
Allison Burke
Fun book with great illustrations. Could be used for teaching punctuation in question marks. Great way to practice fluency as well. Grades k-2
Bethe
bright colors, rhyming words, questions for kids to ponder, may be a good read aloud to prompt young writers struggling for a topic.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A series of unanswerable questions are posed, with poetic responses and sparkling illustrations.

Joella www.cinjoella.com
The questions and the pictures were great, I just wish there were some answers and it wasn't just questions.
Debbie
Beautiful artwork adds to text that will have readers adding to the wonderings posted in this book.
Elisabeth
5 stars just for the awesome dinosaur and whale. Would make a terrific writing prompt book.
Kim
Invites readers to ponder natural wonders. Sparkly element in each two-page illustration.
Crystal
I love the illustrations and am always happy to find books that encourage wondering.
Scottsdale Public Library
A simply beautiful, poetic contemplation of the natural universe.

-Monty K
Nicole C
Love the illustration technique. Can't wait to try it at home with my girls.
Colby Sharp
Nice book that encourages kids to wonder, dream, and ask questions.
LoriAnn Kocialski
This story is very cute ... and very bright pictures!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar...more
More about Marcus Pfister...
The Rainbow Fish Rainbow Fish to the Rescue! Rainbow Fish and the Big Blue Whale Milo and the Magical Stones Rainbow Fish and the Sea Monsters' Cave