Start by marking “Questions, Questions” as Want to Read:
Questions, Questions

Questions, Questions

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
How do birds learn how to sing?
What brings summer after spring?

What turns the leaves from green to brown
and sends them floating gently down?In thirteen engaging couplets, Marcus Pfister opens children’s eyes to the wondrous mysteries all around them.
Published March 1st 2011 by NorthSouth

To ask other readers questions about Questions, Questions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Questions, Questions

Suzanne
Jul 24, 2014 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are nice, but I suspect the author has not dealt much with preschool children who ask a million questions. My son was kind of disappointed that the book offered no answers. Pretty pictures, but not a satisfying read.
Melissa
I love, love, love the illustrations. The texture is amazing. The composition is understated but thoughtful and pleasing, and the colors are bright but not at all crayon-boxy. The technique (acrylic paint stamped onto paper with cardboard shapes) would be super fun to share with kids.

I am feeling too grown-up and pragmatic today, however, to enjoy the questions. ("How do birds learn how to sing? / What brings summer after spring?") I was hoping for more imaginative ones, but I understand that f
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Reseñado en mi blog Nanny Books

¿Por qué los colores son tan coloridos? es un libro infantil, editado por V&R Editoras, escrito e ilustrado por Marcus Pfister.

Marcus Pfister nació en Berna, Suiza. Estudió en la Escuela de Arte de Berna y completó su formación en arte y diseño en una agencia de publicidad de Zürich. Luego de viajar por México, Estados Unidos y Canadá, regresó a su país natal para trabajar como diseñador gráfico independiente. Es autor de cuarenta y nueve libros, que han sido t
Kim
Mar 23, 2011 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, nature
A beautiful book, but I don't see kids being okay with a book full of unanswered questions. I haven't read this with a kid yet, but I just have this feeling it's one of those books that adults would love more.
Rebecca Sharp
Jan 25, 2015 Rebecca Sharp rated it really liked it
I have always loved The Rainbow Fish so I was excited to find another beautifully illustrated book by Marcus Pfister. I plan to read this book to Kindergarten & 1st grade students in my library to introduce the idea of research. I read numerous reviews by Goodreads user saying they were disappointed there are only questions and no answers. My response?
1. The title IS "Questions, Questions". Seems like it's an apt title.
2. I challenge parents who read this book with their kiddos to use it as
Colby Sharp
Aug 24, 2011 Colby Sharp rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Nice book that encourages kids to wonder, dream, and ask questions.
Jae
Aug 25, 2015 Jae rated it it was ok
my 5 year old said she liked this book - a little bit - can't get more honest than that. I think it's a weak book relying on relentless empty questions that doesn't offer anything to a child unless you follow each pages with relentless boring answers for Ur child. the writer has jazzed this up with childlike illustrations that kids can relate to and the shiny spot on the pages that my 5 year old liked the most about the book. it was the only thing she remembered about the book when I picked it u ...more
Tasha
Sep 26, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This colorful book asks question after poetic question about our world. The questions range in subject, but are all simply and beautifully written:

What makes fire burn red and gold

and makes it much too hot to hold?

and

Does a whale make up a song

so other whales will sing along?

Told in gentle verse, the book celebrates life, including whales, fish, seeds, butterflies and much more. The simplicity and tenderness of this book make it exceptional.

Pfister’s art work is done with a different technique
Heidi
Dec 11, 2014 Heidi rated it liked it
Best part of the book are the illustrations. Very eye-catching. The questions are ones I've heard many kids ask. Some are answerable through science. Some are just meant to be wondered at. Visually appealing. Probably best in lap-read and read-alone. Could work in storytime, but there's not as much conclusion for me in such a large group that will inevitably ask me questions and want answers.
Debby Baumgartner
Pfister's style of illustration makes this book. Using cardboard cut in shapes and applying acrylic paint to stamp the pictures. Poem about the questions children ask or wonder about in nature.
Eva Leger
Jul 06, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This might be titled Unanswered Questions, Questions. On one hand, the unanswered questions in the book do allow the child to latch on and answer themselves, or ask more about whatever subject(s) interest them.
On the other hand, it's kind of annoying to have a book full of questions with no answers.
The illustrations are the best part of the book but I do have to admit the text is rather rhythmic to read out loud.
More observant children might take the ending away with them also.

Birds and flowe
Joan Marie
Jan 26, 2016 Joan Marie rated it really liked it
13 couplets beckon children to investigate the awesome world around them.
Sherell
Great book to introduce wondering and inquiry, questioning strategy...
Amanda
Mar 09, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Marcus Pfister's new picturebook engages children in questions about the natural world. The bright illustrations are done by applying acrylic paints to cardboard blocks and using them as stamps. Children will love the texture, the bright colors and the foil elements reminiscent of his Rainbow Fish books. The simple rhyming couplets on each page encourage children to think about animals, plants, the weather, and many more things in the natural world. Each double page spread is a treat. The simple ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Oct 12, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful illustrations with subtle use of silver foil.
Megan
Oct 20, 2011 Megan rated it it was ok
My 5 yr. old answered or demanded answers to some of the questions and dismissed a few as absurd. Some of the questions are open-ended while others are fairly straightforward. None were as imaginative as I'd hoped, and the whole thing seemed just a little odd to me. I enjoyed the illustrations except for the ubiquitous shiny bit, a carry-over from Rainbow Fish. This is a better book than the Rainbow Fish oeuvre, and it did generate a fair amount of discussion with my 5 yr. old, so perhaps it des ...more
Dianna
May 03, 2016 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, especially the illustrations.
Kimberly.miller
Feb 24, 2012 Kimberly.miller rated it really liked it
Shelves: lcrt-5795
This book is filled with rhyming couplets. There are serious questions, silly questions, and questions students may never have thought to ask. I enjoy this book because it begins to spark curiosity for students as they think about the world around them.
I would use this book to teach students how to write a question and how to use a question mark. We could create a book with our own questions in it and then look up the answers and create a book of answers. We could compare and contrast the quest
Paul  Hankins
Ladder this one up with Pablo Neruda's BOOK OF QUESTIONS. . .invite students to create a series of questions of their own to which they may already know the answer or to foster a sense of inquiry. Pfister's book might work well with Jeff Anderson's approach to Classical Invention (modeling of questions to arrive at possible solutions or invitations to write).
Shanshad Whelan
Dec 20, 2011 Shanshad Whelan rated it liked it
Pretty pics and lyrical text , but the questions don't get answered, nor does their seem to be any ordering to them. Basically a book encouraging kids to question and wonder about things. The little glittery additions on each page are attractive, but don't really serve a huge purpose other than the oooh factor from kids.
Rebecca
Bright, simple illustrations done by stamping cardboard shapes coated with acrylic paint, with a touch of silver foil which I guess you have to have if you are Marcus Pfister. Both techniques would be fun for a kids' book art class! (Note added summer 2014: This would be useful to share for our Toddler Art on stamping)
Dayna
Jun 15, 2011 Dayna rated it really liked it
Really nice book with gentle open ended discussion questions. WE loved the illustrations the best. The Author/Artist explains his technique in detail and we will definitely be using this book to spring board into a summer painting project. Nicely done!
Samantha
Mar 11, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
This book would make for a pretty interesting read aloud, especially because it would be fun to hear how a child might answer some of the questions posed. Beautiful artwork! Just absolutely amazing!
Powers Family
Jul 25, 2011 Powers Family rated it really liked it
We all enjoyed the questions this book asks and the art style especially finding the shiny part on each page. This is a good book for kids to mimic and come up with their own wondering questions.
Andrea Retana
Feb 24, 2013 Andrea Retana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100-books
This book would be a good way to teach students about observations and questioning in science. Many of the questions in the book can be used to engage students. I enjoyed the book and illustrations.
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
A bright and cheerful picture book with a scientific theme. It poses a series of questions about how the natural world works, promoting an inquisitive approach to experiencing our planet.
Camille
Apr 22, 2011 Camille rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-bks
Get a load of the marvelous illustrations in this book! Makes me want to sponge paint the day away! As far as the text, its along the lines of If... by Perry: It just makes you think.
Meghan Hunt
Jun 11, 2013 Meghan Hunt rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are gorgeous and many thoughtful questions about the natural world are expressed. I highly recommend this book for young, inquiring minds.
Allison Burke
Fun book with great illustrations. Could be used for teaching punctuation in question marks. Great way to practice fluency as well. Grades k-2
Bethe
Apr 21, 2013 Bethe rated it liked it
bright colors, rhyming words, questions for kids to ponder, may be a good read aloud to prompt young writers struggling for a topic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • RRRalph
  • A Leaf Can Be...
  • Naamah and the Ark at Night
  • Little Chicken's Big Day
  • Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret
  • How to Teach a Slug to Read
  • Forever Friends
  • Infinity and Me
Marcus Pfister was born in Berne, Switzerland, and began his career as a graphic artist in an advertising agency. In 1983, he decided to dedicate more time to artistic pursuits, and began to write and illustrate his first book, The Sleepy Owl, which was published in 1986. His best-known work to date is The Rainbow Fish, which has remained on bestseller lists across the United States since 1992.

Mar
More about Marcus Pfister...