Start by marking “The Nightingale and the Rose” as Want to Read:
The Nightingale and the Rose
read book* *Different edition

The Nightingale and the Rose

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  2,964 ratings  ·  139 reviews
Playwright, poet, essayist, flamboyant man-about-town, Oscar Wilde pack an astonishing amount of work, genius, and controversy into two short decades, producing masterworks in every literary genre. This selection includes almost all of his short stories, including "The Canterville Ghost," "The Fisherman and his Soul," and "The Remarkable Rocket."

Alongside THE MODEL MILLION
Published April 28th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Nightingale and the Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nightingale and the Rose

Linda
This is the saddest, most tragic story I've ever read. It starts out as a fairytale and you think it will end well. Love is described as the most beautiful thing in the world, by the nightingale outside the student's window.

jamie
Possibly my favorite of Wilde's short stories. I thought the nightingale's description of love was quite lovely:

"for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though he is wise, and mightier than Power, though he is might. Flame-coloured are his wings, and coloured like flame is his body. His lips are sweet as honey, and his breath is like frankincense."

Tracey
So eloquent and heartfelt, I couldn’t help but have a tear in my eye
Oscar Wilde can truly write. And this confirms it.

How shallow we are.

Hana
if i can imagine a feeling of trying to forget someone you love in a story, i would imagine this story. only something extraordinary like this story can be revealing enough to have the weight of this deeply sad and desperate feeling like losing love.
the nightingale represents true love and true feelings, and it says firm till the end. as opposite, the rose represents everything that it wants for itself, so the circle is full.
compared to this symbols, a mans love is nothing but passing pain, an e
Maricarmen Estrada M
Beautiful story, so tender, but heart-breaking. The writing is pure art!

"So the Nightingale pressed closer against the thorn, and the thorn touched her heart, and a fierce pang of pain shot through her. Bitter, bitter was the pain, and wilder and wilder grew her song, for she sang of the Love that is perfected by Death, of the Love that dies not in the tomb."
Nawal
“The Nightingale and the Rose” is a poignant story following the theme of the nature of love, Oscar Wilde leads you to think that’s it’s a fairytale about true love, as we read further, we realize how tragically ironic the story is, the supposed love between the student and the girl proves to be just infatuation, a shallow love based on materialistic happiness, the story’s irony also lies in the Nightingale's sacrifice, the only character that gives pure and unconditional love for what she regar ...more
Brenda
This story broke my heart, but it showed the callousness in which love is thrown away sometimes.
Naveed Nawaz
An Oscar Wilde Classic. Reminded me of The Happy Prince. Just as sad and beautiful.
Carpe Diem
'Tis sad, very sad...
Sarika Chat

I had read this story when I was sixteen, It was a part of my coursework . where love is a synonym of selflessness ,is deftly written and a tellying tale of selfless nightingale who sacrifices her life to create a rose . It has a tragic end . Since the girl does not accept the offer. It is a complelling tale of love and selflessness on one hand and vanity and selfIcentredness on the other. It is a stark contrast to oscar wilde picture of doriangray which epitomises indulgence and hedonism.
Angelica Castillo
A student can only win a girl's heart by giving her a red rose. But there are no red roses around so the nightingale, believing that it is true love, (view spoiler) so that the student can get a red rose. When the student gives the red rose to the girl, he will realize some things are not worth the effort for.

Human beings get blinded by their desire to make other people happy, so they do everything, even when it means they should sacrifice something very import
Subhojit
One of the saddest and most touching short stories I ever read. I had this in my class 8 text and my respect for Wilde grew exponentially thereafter. A master storyteller he subtlety delivers the final blow... a good bird's supreme sacrifice comes to naught... . The nightingale is a dear. She somehow manages to understand the subtle nuances of love when we humans fail miserably. She is doubtless one of my favourite non-human characters in any piece I've ever read. Period.
Rain
"El ruiseñor y la rosa" trata sobre un romántico Ruiseñor que conoce a un Estudiante triste porque no consigue una rosa roja, la cual necesita para poder bailar con su enamorada, y en nombre del amor decide ayudarlo, sin importar el precio para conseguirla.

Se presenta como una linda historia sobre el amor, pero que acaba siendo un triste cuento marcado por el egoísmo y materialismo de las personas.

(view spoiler)
Redwan amazigh

Oscar Wilde's work titled 'The Nightingale and the Rose' is a fairytale. Wilde begins the fairytale with a central character who is a young male student. As the narrative opens, the young man is looking out the window. He dreams of a young woman who believes has captured his heart. He wants to escort her to a dance. The nightingale is the one who overhears the young man complaining about the young girl's refusal to dance with him. The young man wants to give her a rose, but is unable to do. Wild
Italia8989
Ahmed
“Ah, on what little things does happiness depend!" Oscar Wilde
There is no certainty in LOVE. One time you Think you are in love but you are actually not.
Now this story is about love, sacrifice, and neglect.
The boy did not believe that the bird will sacrifices its own life to bring him a red rose. But the bird did it for the sake of Love because it saw how the boy loved the girl. Yet the bird sacrifice is met with ingratitude from the boy.
As What goes around...comes around, the boy was neglect
Wafa Al-Alawi
Holy shit. I would never have thought a story of less than 10 pages represented through a bird and a rose could contain that much emotion and strike your heart with immense sadness. Oh Wilde, this was incredible!
Rania
Few pages tells short story about LOVE ...
One word, it means much for the nightingale...for the nightingale love means scarify, but for people it means another thing...
Cassie
I read this when I was about 9 years old and it made me cry, now 26 years later, it still makes me cry. A beautiful timeless story.
Nina Mushiana
One of the saddest, and most touching love story. It touches your heart and makes you mad at the boy and makes you cry.
Carolina
I rated it 2/5 because this book left me SO sad and I read it when I was about 12 years old (and it still made me sad)
Nadira Irsalina
mesmerizing at the first place, but you'll always see a bitter-sweet thing walks through your road.
Daniela Diaz
Amo como escribe este hombre.
El
(Read as a part of The Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.)

There is a nightingale and there is a rose. The end.

No, not seriously.

There's a student in love with a woman, but she refuses him because he can't bring her a red rose. The nightingale sees the student crying, her little bird heart breaks a little. She's told by the rose-trees that if she sings a pretty little song and presses her heart against a thorn, sacrificing herself, it will turn the flowers red.

It's a sweet story about sacrifice, even
Rosario Añañuca de fuego
2015 Book Challenge - A book from your childhood

I read this book when I was 7, it was the first book I read for school in Chile, and I fell in love with it. Today I re-read it and fell in love all over again. What a beautiful and sad story.

Reading it again, 20 years later, I notice that the spanish translation makes it as if the nightingale is a male, when the books refers to it as a she.

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
What a touching story.!! I loved each and every part of it. It was perfect,the stupid boy and the silly girl. The song of the nightingale will haunt you for days after reading this story. A flower blossoms.. And many hearts die in its haunting fragrance. The world always sees the flower but never those hearts. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Eva Liu
"Surely love is a wonderful thing. It is more precious than emeralds, and dearer than fine opals. Pearls and pomegranates cannot buy it, nor is it set forth int he market-place. It may not be purchased of the merchants, nor can it be weighed out in the balance of gold."
Madolyn R.
It was alright, I thought it was going to be longer. Made me a little sad to know the sacrifice for love was for nothing, though I suppose that's the point of the story. To bring that concept to light.
Sneh Pradhan
One of my favorite stories by Wilde , this one definitely begins as a fairy tale , and you find yourself settling warmly into its premise , even as an adult , u cannot but not help thinking that this story will have a happy ( or happily ever-after ) ending . But this is Wilde , after all ...and he delivers his punch of reality just when you have been deceivingly snuggled into a fantasy and a hope of the existence and virtue of true love after all . The nightingale sacrifices itself for the cause ...more
Prashant
Here's to a tragic tale.

The nightingale, much too emotional for my liking, sacrifices herself to create a red rose.

The boy kept on crying for the want of red roses in his garden and seems like a total wuss. Maybe someone who still have to face some rejections from life to come in terms with it.

The boy who needed the rose to ask a girl out never came to know about the nightingale's sacrifice or else he would have laughed over the her naivety.

The story teaches us the lesson not to poke our noses
  • Annabel Lee
  • The Bet
  • Волкодав (Волкодав, #1)
  • Man from the South
  • God Sees the Truth, but Waits
  • Markheim
  • The Adventure of the Resident Patient (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • Petrolejové lampy
  • The Tinderbox
  • Winter Dreams
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • Kytice
  • A Dog's Tale
  • Hills like White Elephants
  • The Mother
  • La Parure
  • The Signalman
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” 2977 likes
“Be happy, cried the Nightingale, be happy; you shall have your red rose. I will build it out of music by moonlight, and stain it with my own heart's-blood. All that I ask of you in return is that you will be a true lover, for Love is wiser than Philosophy, though she is wise, and mightier than Power, though he is mighty. Flame-coloured are his wings, and coloured like flame is his body. His lips are sweet as honey, and his breath is like frankincense.” 54 likes