Start by marking “Blood Prophecy” as Want to Read:
Blood Prophecy

Blood Prophecy

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  34 reviews
"A unique, page-turning adventure...that will thrill fans of biblical horror and historical detail."
- Publishers Weekly (starred review)
Man and monster are in his blood. . .

His name is Jeremiah Fall. A soldier of fortune, he has been fighting his own war for 150 years--ever since the beast in him was born.

Desperate to restore his lost humanity, Fall crosses the sands o
Published (first published October 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Prophecy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Prophecy

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
An interesting historical fantasy with a reluctant vampire hero on a quest that takes him from the Puritan American colonies to French-occupied North Africa. This one kept me pretty absorbed. Reviewed for Bitten by Books. Http://bittenbybooks.com.
William Bentrim
Blood Prophecy by Stefan Petrucha

This is vampire story with a historic twist that never once uses the word vampire.

Jeremiah Fall finds himself turned into a creature of the night. A Puritan, he soon discovers his base urges are incompatible with his Puritan ethics. The strict manner he was raised contributes to his keeping his internal beast from overwhelming his gentler sensibilities.

I enjoyed the historic aspects of the book. It did jump around a great deal and not just in the paranormal vamp
Paranormal Haven
Jeremiah was a simple colonial farmer; his only worry was how to fulfill his father’s highly inflated expectations of him. This was true till the day Jeremiahs whole life changed.

As Jeremiah and his father were doing there farming and digging up the ground to get the soil ready before the winter made it to difficult. But what did not expect to find was the monster that lay beyond the mound of dirt. Once uncovered and released from it dirt prison, it attacked Jeremiahs father killing him and dra
Amanda-Lee (StoryWings)
Blood Prophecy to a while to get going, but once it did it became very interesting.

Jeremiah Fall has gone from a hard working Purist to a bear-fighting, vampiric army of one. Blood Prophecy is the tale of how he finds his roots and reconciles his two-selves. Jeremiah travels from America to Egypt in his search for the Stone. A legend he heard from the tribe of Abenaki’s living near his settlement.

Jeremiah is an interesting character. He was raised a Purist which is a very strict form of Christia
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

BLOOD PROPHECY feels like a throwback to the old adventure novels of the late 19th century (e.g. KING SOLOMON’S MINES) but with one very modern twist: vampires.

Weaving together fact and fiction with a new vampire mythology that reimagines the biblical Creation account, BLOOD PROPHECY follows the vampiric birth of Jeremiah Fall from the early Puritan settlements in America, across the deserts of Egypt and the coasts of France, touching on the legend of A
Nathalie Brault
A young boy that goes by the name of Jeremy Falls works with his father, Nathan, on the family land. The grandfather is watching quietly while the mother is preparing lunch.
When all of a sudden their ox driven plow gets stuck in some roots in the ox is sinking also. So Jeremy saves the ox by undoing the harnesses rapidly and pushes the ox so he will run off from he awkward position he's in.
When all of a sudden, a big brown creature rose out from the earth from where the ox and plow were sinking,
Stacy
Review posted at http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blo...

Blood Prophecy has a historical angle, a tad bit of romance all wrapped up with Paranormal elements. Jeremiah Fall is an early American settler who is attacked by a beast that he uncovered while plowing his fields. His Father dies only to come back and attack him and his mother. They both die and Jeremiah ends up coming back to "life" as a vampire. He has to learn how to keep the beast under control and resist his evil cravings. While he t
Anna
At times I felt like the author was striving for that iconic Saint-Germain feel, bouncing the protagonist, Jeremiah Fall, through different time period while slowly revealing the traits of his character, but never quite hitting the mark. Some areas were just too drawn out, like the Murad Bey, but I did see the necessity for setting up the main story.

Fall is self-educated, reading many books over the course of his very long life and remaining isolated from people, and it seemed like his ability
JC Andrew
Without giving too much away, except to excite the reader, Stefan Petrucha begins the wild ride he calls Blood Prophecy.

It's the horrific tale of a young man named Jeremiah Fall who stumbles upon a mound of earth with his father Nathan, while they plow the field. Unknown to them, they release something that changes the course of Jeremiah's life.

Written in third person, in the eyes of the main character, Jeremiah becomes a soldier back in October 1799 as a means of making a journey to salvation.
Lillie Roberts
Jeremiah Fall first started this journey into the new land in 1644, America was supposed to bring them religious freedoms, but instead the Puritans were almost as condemning as the persecutors in England. When Atticus is thought to be "touched", the leader of the sect would like nothing better than to drive them from their community.

When Nathan Fall (Jeremiah's father) accidentally releases Skog from his ancient burial mound, the beast kills Nathan, and Nathan returns to kill Jeremiah. It is onl
Marty Shaw
Petrucha takes the vampire back to it's beastly and blood-thirsty roots with "Blood Prophecy".

In 1644, Jeremiah Fall is a hard-working, God-fearing man whose life consists of working the family farm with his father, Nathan, his mother, Mary Vincent, and his grandfather, Atticus. While plowing a field, an ancient evil is accidentally freed and the whole family, with the exception of Atticus, is claimed by the vampire curse.

Jeremiah is bound by Atticus before he has a chance to rise up as a vampir
drey
Stefan Petruchas' Blood Prophecy tells the story of a faithful man turned into a beast, who then spends a lifetime trying to redeem himself and save his soul.

Jeremiah Fell's journey starts in 1644 in Dedham, a Massachusetts Bay Colony, when he is infected by a nightmarish creature, and eventually heads towards the desert lands of Egypt and Syria. Why? To find a stone, a mystical stone that according to legend could cure him of this plague in his body. Or unleash a darkness that'll swallow the wh
April
BLOOD PROPHECY by Stefan Petrucha is a paranormal/fantasy historical adventure set in 1644 America and spans across the globe. It is well written,has depth,details,fast paced and a page turner. It has vampires,magic,history,secrets,legends,myths,adventure,redemption,finding a cure for the beast within,curiosity,a guest to save humanity,vampire-like monster,romance, and darkness.Jeremiah Fall is attacked by a monster,bitten and turned into a vampire-like monster,his family killed all except his g ...more
Kate
Stefan Petrucha tells an extraordinary tale of fierce determination, tightly reined control and an unwavering need for truth all wrapped up in utter self-loathing. With descriptions so vivid they will totally creep you out; Blood Prophecy is a new twist on the story of the vampire.

The seemingly endless imagination of an author never ceases to amaze me! While I am certain most every author needs to do some measure of research to effectively tell even a fictional tale, it appears to this reader th
Kristen
Why I read this: I haven't been reading a lot of adult novels, but this one really peaked my interest, involving vampires mixed with history.

Plot: Jeremiah was the son of a farmer in the colonies of America, until one day the prison of a creature both human and animal like is uncovered and the creature attacks Jeremiah's father, turning him into something surreal. Jeremiah then becomes one, only manages to start to control the beast that stirs inside of him. He spends his life researching what h
Dawn
I was disappointed in this book. I love historical stories, I kinda like vampire stories, and a reluctant vampire is often a winner. The story itself wasn't bad. A Puritan reluctant vampire, searching for a cure. Great premise.

The historical setting was interesting, but not delved into deep enough for my liking. I felt like it only superficially touched on the history or the setting. The battle scenes seemed to be fairly well written, the author has a talent for action scenes. I tend to gloss ov
Christopher Wagoner
Petrucha has wonderfully evocative imagery, the mark of a skilled writer. However, I just didn't care about the main character. Anne Rice killed the reluctant vampire mythos, and Twilight Eulogized it. There's not much to make you care for Jeremiah Fall, other than his struggle with the "Beast" as his hunger is referred to.
That said, the plot is clever and fresh. Fans of vampire novels who want a fresh take might check this one out.
Teresa Kleeman
I loved this book. This book is about Jeremiah Fall. Jeremmiah is desperate to restore his humanity. He's been doing this for over a 150 years. Ever since the day the beast attacked his father. When his father rises and attacks him his life changed.

His Journeys take him to the Middle East. Jeremiah can't take the sunlight and he feeds when he must. He battles the inner monster everyday for his humanity. He has know one to share his secret with. Jeremiah is a self educated man. His knowledge is a
Eillo
After recieving a copy at NYCC 2010 (and having Stefan sign it) I jumped into this book expecting a typical fantasy jaunt with a quick story, action and some blood and instead got a book that took a character through the back door with history's famous general and a religiously fueled subplot worthy of a spinoff.

Although the book tended to get wordy in some parts and Jeremiah spent TOO much time upset with being a vampire, the story moves well enough that you don't get too bogged down with his
A.E.
Review: “Blood Prophecy” is the story of Jeremiah Fall, a man who gets turned into a vampire by a guy named Skog, then subsequently goes on a quest to find a way to reverse the change, because it awakens a fierce beast in him that, naturally, commands blood.

This novel features one of the most vivid vampire transformation/transition scenes in which being a vampire and the physical, visceral pain doesn’t take a backseat to a crappy romance subplot, and doesn’t try to romanticize or glorify the pro
Author Stefan Petrucha, takes you on a journey of man and beast battling as one, with his character Jeremiah Fall. Fall not only battles with
the beast within himself to keep it contained but he finds himself fighting to restore humanity. While searching for the birthplace of mankind, he seeks an ebony stone so he can unleash the secrets to gain knowledge about the beast living within him, whom has held him captive for nearly 150 years..

Thoughts: Blood Prophecy was not bad but I think it got a
Anna
Jeremiah Fall is a soldier that has traveled a very long road. On a mission... traveling far and wide to take back his humanity. He seeks an ebony stone. But will it hold the cure he is looking for or damn the whole world.

The story begins in 1799- but Jeremiah's journey begins in 1644. I don't think I've come across a vampire like Jeremiah, he's quite special. I reveled in both the vampire and historical parts of the story. But it did take me a bit longer than normal to finish this book. There w
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Mr. Petrucha’s book, Blood Prophecy, gives you an Indiana Jones-like feel with vampires as the dark twist. The author weaves historical facts together with a retelling of the Christian creation tale which incorporates the origins of vampires. Jeremiah Fall was from the early Puritan settlements in America, but once he is infected by “the beast”, he travels across Africa and Europe, searching for a cure and some answers. I loved how descriptive the writing was and especially the new vampire mytho ...more
Tasula
As the book blurb says, a young man uncovers a buried object, which attacks his family- he and his grandfather survive. As the years pass, he searches for a cure for his (vampiric) condition- lending his fighting skills to factions he sympathizes with. Some compelling and sympathetic, as well as sometimes amusing, vignettes and characters, along with bloodthirsty wars and private battles. Not a light read, but interesting and well written.
Darcy
I had high hopes for this one, but just couldn't get into it. It was weird how it started out, you were sure what was going on and just what the time period was other than Napoleon was in power. Then it switched to a whole different time period and again you weren't sure what was going on. This one just wasn't for me.
Bridget
I am smitten with Stefan's writing! A refreshing fantasy story with interesting characters and a plot that doesn't let up. I'm a huge vampire fan and Blood Prophecy is being added to my favorite books of all time list. Five stars!
Martha
This was a fun spin on the classic vampire horror story. Some of the twists and turns were pretty good. It's a "historical paranormal" novel so if you like paranormal fiction and/or historical fiction it's kind of an interesting mashup.
Aaron Anderson
I enjoyed the first portion of the book a solid amount. It just started getting weird (in a non-enjoyable way) somewhere by the second half of the book. I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody.
Elizabeth
A good book. Felt a little long in the middle, but I like the bits of history spun throughout and the philosophical tone taken now and then.
Gwnhwyfer
Jul 09, 2011 Gwnhwyfer marked it as looks-interesting  ·  review of another edition
Found through review at Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' News and Reviews
  • Uprising (The Vampire Federation, #1)
  • Redlaw
  • Magistrates of Hell (James Asher, #4)
  • I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin (Ravenloft, #19)
  • Elisha Barber (The Dark Apostle, #1)
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer
  • The Fallen Blade (The Assassini, #1)
  • Carpathia
  • Vampire Uprising (Skinners, #4)
  • Stronger than Sin (Sins Hunters, #2)
  • Eclipsed By Shadow (The Legend of the Great Horse, #1)
  • Kiss of the Butterfly
  • Dark Reflections (Dark Reflections, #1-3)
  • The Lady of the Storm (The Elven Lords, #2)
  • Twilight Forever Rising
  • Duchess of Sin (The Daughters of Erin, #2)
  • Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3)
Stefan Petrucha (born January 27, 1959) is an American writer for adults and young adults. He has written graphic novels in the The X-Files and Nancy Drew series, as well as science fiction and horror.
Born in the Bronx, he has spent time in the big city and the suburbs, and now lives in western Massachusetts with his wife, fellow writer Sarah Kinney, and their daughters. At times he has been a tec
More about Stefan Petrucha...
Ripper The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1) Teen, Inc. The Haunted Dollhouse (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #3) Writ in Stone (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #2)