QED: de zonderlinge theorie van licht en materie
Feynman starts by promising to, in four slim chapters, derive the fundamental properties of light and matter. Not describe, but derive, starting from the basic axioms of his newly developed theory of quantum electrodynamics, the theory for which he won the Nobel in Physics, and which is a part of the Standard Model, the most a...more
The book is transcription of a few lectures Feynman gave on Quantum Electrodynamics (QED), a branch of quantum theory he and Dirac developed. Feynman introduces a few simple rules on how electrons and photons behave (which appear to be easy-to-digest analogs for vector calculus) and then off he goes, explaining the theory a...more
Alas, that's the nature of science popularization. If you omit math, the heart is gone, and you have to make do with the leftover shell. Feynman does the best job of leaving behind some substance that I've ever seen in such a book.
Excellent pedagogy, and some great q...more
The author is one of the greatest physicists of 20th century, and highly regarded as one of the best instructors of physics, but the reader must have some knowledge of science and strong interest in physics, and appreciate optical phenomenon; reflection of light, refraction, etc. Reading this book at first may be boring, but reading for second or third time gives you a good idea about the theory and help you understand the elegance with which the author has...more
I don't think I would recommend this book for anyone that doesn't have a basic understanding of both classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.
Feynman is that unique and rare breed of scientist who can successfully explain very complicated ideas in simple terms so non-scientists...more
His conclusions in chapter 4: that 99% of what we observe is the relationship of electrons and photons and that we understand them well, but that the remaining 1% is such a...more
Partendo dalle basi e arrivando alle ultime teorie più azzardate, Feynamn riesce perfettamente a far comprendere quanto la fisica moderna sia bizzarra e allo stesso tempo logica, assurda, ma estremamente precisa.
Benché Feynman abbia uno stile di scrittura semplice ed efficace, con molto pochi termini tecnici astrusi e in...more
Il risultato �� buono, ma non soddisfacente, a mio avviso. Mentre l'autore riesce bene a mostrare i conti con i fagioli, come li descrive lui stesso, non tenta nemmeno di avvicinare il lettore da questa astrazione dei calcoli alla realt�� fisica del fenomeno calcolato. Ovviamente i concetti...more
[Sidenote: even if you don't give a whit about science, you owe it to yourself to read Feynman's two non-fiction personal essay collections, "Surely You Must Be Joking, Mr. Feynman"...more
Esta es una de las muchas incursiones que hizo el gran Feynman en el terreno de la divulgación científica. En realidad él no escribió ninguno de sus libros de divulgación científica, sino que se adaptaron de sus ciclos de conferencias de divulgación, que, ahí sí, Feynman preparaba a conciencia. Este libro surge de una serie de cuatro conferencias que dio Feynman en UCLA (que en inglés no se dice ucla sino u-c-l-a, iusielei, dato CPI para viajeros por tierras californianas).