Start by marking “The Gilmore Girls Companion” as Want to Read:
The Gilmore Girls Companion

The Gilmore Girls Companion

From 2000 to its final episode in 2007, Gilmore Girls raised the bar for television writing, redefined the dramatic comedy, and cultivated a dedicated fan base not seen since the heights of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. However, unlike Buffy, little has been published about what went on behind-the-scenes of Gilmore Girl. Until now. The Gilmore Girls Companion provides the firs ...more
Published November 25th 2010 by BearManor Media

To ask other readers questions about The Gilmore Girls Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gilmore Girls Companion

Stacey (prettybooks)
When I first found out about The Gilmore Girls Companion, elation quickly turned to devastation when I realised that it couldn’t yet be bought in the United Kingdom. Four long months later, I received it as a birthday gift and eagerly began reading about a world I knew well and loved dearly.

Although unauthorised, The Gilmore Girls Companion should not be perceived as a money-making scheme created to exploit the Gilmore Girls’ large fanbase, but a well thought out project headed by A.S. Berman. T
Ashley Owens
Dec 02, 2016 Ashley Owens rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book (duh). But unless you're going to read this while watching the show, and read the bit about each episode you watch, this is a bit of a weird book. I could kind of see it as a companion while you watch the show, but other than that it was just dry and didn't offer up any new information for me. But I love getting into the Gilmore Girls universe in any way I can! I'm obsessed!

I will say that I liked reading able Amy Sherman-Palladino's beginnings. But honestly at
Kathleen
Nov 30, 2013 Kathleen rated it did not like it
Super disappointed. I was really looking forward to insights and trivia of the show but this book is not that. The book is a really nice size and jam packed with information, the likes of which I can't imagine the effort it took to compile but, it is simply an episode regurgitation of scenes and quotes. Scenes and quotes I get on my own by watching the show. The writing was poor; acronyms were not explained and personal quotes were sometimes so long and out of context that I couldn't figure out ...more
Kristina
Sep 22, 2012 Kristina rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-collection
I was looking fwd to reading this book but ended up disappointed. Most of the content is quotes from the show, not all are completely correct. The only part I read was the sidebars and small boxes and even those didn't give much insight into the production of the show or had any behind-the-scenes stories from the cast.
Savannah Sawyer
Mar 17, 2016 Savannah Sawyer rated it did not like it
I was so excited to read this book but was so disappointed when I actually did. The writing was so poor I honestly thought it was written by someone where English wasn't their first language only to look up the author and find out he's a journalist. Being a copy editor in the journalism field myself I can't believe some of the errors he let slip by. On top of that it was super opinionated. I don't care what the author (as he so often refers to himself as throughout the book) thinks of certain sc ...more
Reija
Jun 16, 2014 Reija rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv, 2014, 2015
Pretty much everything you could wish to know Gilmore girls tv-show: episode guides, quotes, fun facts and cast and crew memories during years. And even bad Gilmore episode is still better than Bunheads. Amazing show and great guide.
Jodie
Jun 04, 2015 Jodie rated it liked it
Great distraction reading in your amazon cloud account at work! (Pro tip for disgruntled employees.)
Ross Bonaime
Nov 11, 2016 Ross Bonaime rated it it was ok
It's strange just how poor of a companion to Gilmore Girls this book actually is. This feels like a self-published book that didn't allow for editing. It's unusual what this book does and doesn't do, especially considering what I feel like would be essential to putting a book like this together.

What do I like about The Gilmore Girls Companion? The episodic rundown can at times be well-handled. A.S. Berman occasionally will give his opinion of the episode and I do appreciate how he points out mom
Bryanna Jones-ealey
Not what I thought

It's my fault I should have read other reviews, I was looking for some more in depth behind the scenes information instead I got a review of each season with sprinkled cast interviews.
Stephanie Chambers
Nov 15, 2016 Stephanie Chambers rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
A fun, deep dive into my favorite shows. The author put his own opinions in the book, but it doesn't detract from the book too much. Good interviews with the cast and I actually read some facts I didn't know! Most of all it shows the great love everyone has for the show.
Emily Goings
Mar 05, 2017 Emily Goings rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It gave me a reason to do another rewatch. I would then read the episode description soon after usually after about 5 episodes then catch up in the book. So much fun!
Fiona
Nov 07, 2016 Fiona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comprehensive companion

That managed not to bore me but instead take me through every episode both on the screen and behind the scenes.
Jennifer Maloney
This book was decently interesting, but I didn't realize when ordering it that it was primarily an episode guide, which really wasn't what I was wanting. There are bits in each chapter that are a behind-the-scenes look, which was exactly what I wanted, and those parts were great! But I wish it'd been more clear that this book was an episode guide before I requested it (to be fair, I ordered a digital version, so it's harder to skim through and make sure of what you're getting before you get it). ...more
Nicole
Jul 05, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved the sho
I love this show...it is probably my most favourite and will always hold a special place in my heart. I used to watch this show every week with my mom and my sister, and I always wished my mom and me could have been like Lorelai and Rory. This show is witty and smart, it's funny and sad. I just finished re-watching the whole show and reading this novel/episode guide by the episodes. I am very much looking forward to the revival that will be on netflix. The only thing I wish there was more...but ...more
Michael Mobley
Jul 28, 2016 Michael Mobley rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, I'm a huge Gilmore Girls fan...period. If you're not, this book is obviously pretty useless. What made me love this book is that it's not just an episode-by-episode review. The book begins with a lot of fun facts and history. (Who knew that the back of the set of Lorelei's house is the front of Sookie's house?) When the episode review begins, the author assumes that you've seen the show and doesn't bore you with a full review. She adds a lot of fun factoids and general info within th ...more
Erin
Jun 23, 2016 Erin rated it liked it
Not as good as I wanted it to be. Some funny stories from the cast and crew members that participated and the author had a few interesting insights. Would love an official one with interviews with Amy Sherman Palladino, Daniel Palladino, Lauren Graham, Alexis Bleidel, Scott Patterson, Melissa McCarthy, etc. Looking forward to Lauren Graham's biography. Hopefully it will have some more behind the scenes information. This is a good read for any fan of Gilmore Girls, but by no means extraordinary.
Matija
May 27, 2013 Matija rated it liked it
A decent enough look behind the scenes of the TV show and a fairly average episode guide, which mostly consists of dialogue quotes. The show creators as well as most of the show top stars actually refused to give interviews for this book, so it's both unofficial and sometimes a little too much on the fan-perspective side, but still there are enough quotes from people involved with the show and interesting descriptions of how the production was done to make a fan's time worthwhile.
Kirsten
Nov 15, 2016 Kirsten rated it liked it
For an unauthorized version, it's not bad. Many of the main cast, however, were not interviewed. I don't know if they were unreachable or refused. I found the author to be a bit too critical and harsh to certain characters or episodes. Berman gave a good insight as to how Gilmore girls got its start, but the use of some of the quotes he chose could have been replaced with much better ones.
Vanessa
Nov 22, 2014 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift from heaven! I'm so glad we had the chance to read more about this show. I loved it!
Leonie
Jun 05, 2013 Leonie rated it it was ok
Too many spoilers.
Joni
Mar 09, 2016 Joni rated it it was amazing
Trish
Aug 26, 2014 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2014
This book is perfect for a Gilmore Girls fan. It talks about the whole series. There is something on every episode and every character of the show.
Beth
May 08, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
I loved the idea of this book, but the execution was poor. The exclusive tidbits from cast and crew were enjoyable, but scarce.
Mel
Jul 10, 2014 Mel rated it it was ok
This is great for all the bits and pieces that went on backstage, however, it's very much like a text book and hard to read at times. You should read it if you are a die hard fan though.
Antonio Donis
Antonio Donis rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Maija
Maija rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Sylvie Menard
Sylvie Menard rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Emmasj
Emmasj rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2014
Tracey
Tracey rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Rory Gilmore Reading List 1 1 Jun 22, 2016 05:52PM
  • Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity: Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series
  • Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest
  • I Do, Don't I? (Gilmore Girls, #3)
  • I Love You, You Idiot (Gilmore Girls, #2)
  • The Other Side of Summer (Gilmore Girls, #4)
  • Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism
  • Dusted: The Unauthorized Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Writer's Block: 786 Ideas to Jump-Start Your Imagination
  • Harvest
  • Kid A
  • Murmur
  • Fandom: Identities and Communities in a Mediated World
  • The Complete Slayer: An unoffical and unauthorised guide to every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Pink Moon
  • If You're Feeling Sinister
  • John Dee’s Five Books of Mystery: Original Sourcebook of Enochian Magic
  • The Key of the Mysteries
  • Cat Power: A Good Woman
A former writer and editor for USA Today, Berman writes for several national publications and is currently at work on several books about television and film.

His most recent book is

Soap: The Inside Story of the Sitcom that Broke all the Rules

His last book was:

The Gilmore Girls Companion, a behind the scenes look at the making of the popular series.
More about A.S. Berman...