Start by marking “Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time” as Want to Read:

[ Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget & Save You Time BY Goodman, Amy E. ( Author ) ] { Hardcover } 2011
Published February 22nd 2011 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Wear This, Toss That!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wear This, Toss That!

Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
What an excellent book to read and keep on hand - this is definitely one I am putting on the keep shelf. Although I am pretty good, not excellent, but pretty good and getting rid of clothes that haven't been worn in awhile; I am terrible about the amount of clothes that come in the door (no comment from the peanut gallery). I find something that fits and I assume that I will never see it again, so I order 3 more in different colors or just 3 more. So, I must admit that my closet could use some t ...more
Gwen
Nov 05, 2012 Gwen rated it it was ok
Shelves: well-being
I was so excited when I grabbed this book from the library—I thought it was going to be a book-length version of two of my favorite fashion/clothing blogs, Already Pretty and J's Everyday Fashion. And for a short while, it was. The author explained different clothing styles (pant leg types, collar types, etc.) and what kind of shape looks best in each type. But then it quickly slid into product shilling (SO MUCH PRODUCT PLACEMENT!) and beauty/makeup tips, which were not at all as helpful. Skinca ...more
Gayle
Jun 11, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it
I have been on a 'purge my closet' marathon and this book was an incredible resource for streamlining my dresser drawers. I feel a lot more confident about what I have to wear now. Great photos show you samples of what to keep and what to 'lose'. There's also a section on makeup and hair care. This is actually going on my 'buy' list as a reference for the future. Definitely recomment for anyone who needs guidance on how to organize a closet or focus on developing a professional image for work an ...more
Clare
Apr 29, 2011 Clare rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another kick in the butt for me. Jennifer, this book is helping me NOT look frumpy. That sweater is going in the trash now!

This book is not realistic for stay at home moms.I need two dresses? What about nursing? If I was working outside the home, I'd like it, but it's simply not practical. I really wanted her advice on fashionable work out clothes as well, but she never gave it. The visuals of this book are great though, and I recognized April from America's Next Top Model as one of the models.
Ginger
Oct 11, 2011 Ginger rated it liked it
Shelves: fashion
Worth borrowing from the library but not buying. The fashion advice isn't by body type and because of its on-trend emphasis will date quickly; the makeup advice is for the woman willing to make a significant time and money investment in her cosmetic drawer. The best section is the accessories, which gives style advice by height and proportion and rise for handbags and belts.
Elizabeth
Perhaps it's just my current economic situation, but I didn't like this book. Yes, I realize that most of my clothes are a poor fit, but I have no need for formal wear, business suits, and it did not address poor weather wear. Perhaps someone could write a fashion guide for those of us that live in fly over states?
Laurel Flynn
Feb 07, 2017 Laurel Flynn rated it it was ok
Shelves: fashion
This book is copyright 2011? Really?
This is just another book about a certain type of business and lifestyle uniform for a certain type of woman. All the "wear this" example women are smiling and posing; the "toss that" example women are stone-faced, the body language says they are unhappy and the clothes often don't fit. I also do not always agree with Goodman. Her skirts are too short and tight, clothes tailored when they don't need to be and guaranteed to turn out a clone - no individual look
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 Becki added it
Shelves: book-collector
Synopsis from Borders.com: From the shopping expert of NBC's 'Today' comes an accessible fashion guide for every woman that offers advice on fashion and beauty swaps that can save her looks, her budget, and her time.\nI enjoyed reading this book. It was easy to read and to even find the particular area or clothing category you wanted more information about. The pictures were great, and I was entertained by the fact that in a lot of the �toss� pictures for pants, skirts, dresses, etc., the models ...more
Lizette
Apr 15, 2012 Lizette rated it really liked it
After spending more than a decade at home, obviously my "career" clothes are long gone and were replaced by easy care clothes. I've re-entered the corporate world with a new body and Mommy clothes. Amy's guidance has been invaluable in re-assessing my needs and addressing my new, curvier body. I now have a list of my wardrobe "save me"s and I will actually have to spend a lot less in my new professional wardrobe because I have realized I can re-purpose some of my Mommy clothes into my next phase ...more
Susan B
Jul 22, 2012 Susan B rated it it was ok
Shelves: fashion
I started reading this word for word, but ended up skimming. Really, everything the author shares is what I already knew or could see on the models pictured. Also, quite obvious - the 'wear' models are always smiling and happy; the 'toss' models never smile and look quite grim. I suppose if you're just starting to develop your fashion sense, and/or have none to begin with, it might be helpful. Otherwise, save your money.
Jackie
May 19, 2012 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It made me want to jump in my car and go shopping immediately. This weekend I will stripping my closet of any and all clothing that does not make me feel fantastic. Great tips complete with suggestions for those hard to find items. Amy Goodman shows side by side comparisons of women wearing the right style clothing for their bodies, and the wrong. Definitely helped put things in perspective for me regarding my wardrobe!
Aug 31, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I have to wonder if the author got $$ for all the plugs in the book. She lists a lot of members only sale sites. Even with setting that aside, the book is still not very helpful. Rather than helping the reader to know what classic pieces would complement their body type/colouring/etc., she lists trends that we should invest in. Consequently, the book will be dated in no time.
Thomasin
Jun 28, 2014 Thomasin rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked the side by side "this is fashionable, this is ugly" photos because I need that level of handholding, but I agree with other reviewers that much if the fashion advice is "on trend," which means in a blink the fashionable pics are going to be the ugly ones. Still, a good one to page through.
Sharon
Aug 12, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok
While I do not think of myself as a fashionista by any stretch, even I was beyond the common sense approach to styling in this book. If the "toss" section items are still in your wardrobe, you'll likely not a candidate for this book ... and if you are emotionally attached to a lot of items, you'll find it just as hard to let go with or without Amy's advice.
Suzanne
Aug 13, 2012 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I did some good ideas for things in this but as a stay-at-home mom there were not a lot of ideas that I could use in my every day outfits. I would love to see someone write a book for us stay-at-moms that could help us get out of the frumpiness we tend to allow ourselves to fall into and not give us a ton of work or going out ideas that are not useful in our every day lives.
Angela Good
Jan 12, 2014 Angela Good rated it it was amazing
This book helped me to know what I really should have in my closet. And Amy reconfirms that I should not buy clothing unless I absolutely love it. Why have a closet full of clothes and only a few outfits that I wear over and over again??? Stop the insanity. :)
Tara
Aug 17, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
There were some good tips, but overall I didn't think it was organized in a user-friendly way.
Linda
Mar 29, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, fashion
Good of you need a second opinion on what to toss. I added makeup tips in my private notes.
Ayşin
Apr 14, 2016 Ayşin added it
İ did not like the makeup and shoes section . I think i have a better taste in those.
Nohreen
Jul 24, 2011 Nohreen rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I need to go through my full closet full of nothing-to-wear clothes. :)
Rachelccameron
Meh, I more just skimmed it.
Kendra Fletcher
Jun 24, 2012 Kendra Fletcher rated it liked it
I felt the organization and layout was disjointed but the information was excellent and up to date.
RF
May 23, 2011 RF rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-women
very practical guide full of pictures. helped me do some closet purging.
Jun 02, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is fun to take a look into the closet and see what really can be thrown out. I've done a few Goodwill trips since finishing this one!
Shannon
Aug 13, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Very helpful. Loved the looks put together on every page. A great how-to guide!
Jacqui Jacoby
Sep 03, 2016 Jacqui Jacoby rated it really liked it
Pretty good ideas for people starting out in getting their style and closet together. Would recommend.
Elliedakota
Dec 15, 2012 Elliedakota rated it it was ok
Out of date pictures are limited to the opinions of the author. Reading an issue of a fashion magazine is more helpful and current.
Jennie
Sep 07, 2012 Jennie rated it liked it
Basic guide to finding clothes that fit and tossing those that don't. Briefly touches on make-up tips, hair styles, and closet must haves. Great for someone building/rebuilding their warbdrobe.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
Jun 02, 2011 joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to joy by: my library's untrustworthy e-newsletter
absolutely heinous
arbitrary & ridiculous distinctions
with hideous proposed outfits
almost makes me wonder if it's a spoof.
Mckinley
Aug 02, 2011 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fashion
ok, but her examples are soooo obvious
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Style on a Shoestring: Develop Your Cents of Style and Look Like a Million without Spending a Fortune
  • Fashion: A Very Short Introduction
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style)
  • Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Style A to Zoe: The Art of Fashion, Beauty, & Everything Glamour
  • In Fashion: From Runway to Retail, Everything You Need to Know to Break Into the Fashion Industry
  • Perfumes: The Guide
  • Encyclopedia of the Exquisite: An Anecdotal History of Elegant Delights
  • How to Be a Budget Fashionista: The Ultimate Guide to Looking Fabulous for Less
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown: Notes from a Single Girl's Closet
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew