Start by marking “The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew, #56)” as Want to Read:
The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew, #56)

The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew #56)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  3,497 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
Asked to locate a stolen necklace of unusual value, Nancy soon discovers that strange and dangerous people are responsible for the theft.
Published June 1st 1978 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Thirteenth Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thirteenth Pearl

Melanie
This is the LAST ONE. And there are still unanswered questions, like where is River Heights? (My guess is upstate NY.) What caused Mrs. Drew's death (one book said she died "suddenly" and one other one mentioned "a brief illness" but that's it)? Why didn't Hannah, who was apparently married herself at some point, but has lived with the Drews since Mrs. Drew kicked it, ever get married to Carson? Could you really have a platonic relationship with your live-in housekeeper for fifteen years?

I had
Forrest
Sep 06, 2012 Forrest rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No, No I would not
Shelves: mysteries
Well. Re-reading this timeless treasure led me to discover that the Nancy Drew mysteries are not the novels of genius I once thought they were. This one had the particular distinction of not only being poorly written, but also containing numerous offensively discussed stereotypes about Japan and Japanese-Americans. People are described as "Oriental" and "Asiatic," and the entire mystery is really just an attempt for Carolyn Keene to describe for impressionable youth the "exotic" customs of the n ...more
John Yelverton
Sep 30, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last Nancy Drew book. I really, REALLY hated to see this come, but I loved the book none the less.
Marklessgirl
I had some problems with the writing and the storyline but overall it was pretty good. It was really weird though.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, children
Historically known as the "last" Nancy Drew book, it wasn't a terrible book to end the "original" Mystery Series on. I noticed others have been a bit taken aback (or more) by certain words and the ways of description of Japanese culture in this book but I think overall there wasn't much to be insulted or irritated at, yes the use of the word "Asiatic", "oriental" and "exotic" is probably outdated in popular usage these days but considering when these books were written those were the terms used ...more
Ely (Tea & Titles)
This is difficult because I love Nancy Drew, and I have ever since I was about eight or nine, but this one...this one was awful. The actual story was okay, but the representation of the Japanese characters is terrible. I know this was published at a time where that wasn't such a big deal, but wow. I feel kind of disgusted that my professor actually picked this as an example of 'transnational girlhood'. Is this just in this particular book, or did I gloss over even worse stuff in the rest of the ...more
Jocelyn
Feb 24, 2016 Jocelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew and the Thirteenth Pearl is a book about Nancy and her friends trying to find a necklace that was stolen from a wealthy woman.

Nancy is bored with her life and is hanging out with her friends at the Jeweler he is about to show them his very precious necklace of pearls. The necklace has been stolen from the jewelers safe. Nancy is determined to find out who took the necklace.
So determined she goes to Japan with her father Carson Drew.

Carson Drew is a lawyer in River Heights. Nancy
Phe
Jan 29, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Thirteenth Pearl is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 56th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Asked to locate a stolen necklace of unusual value, Nancy Drew soon discovers that strange and dangerous people are responsible for the theft.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (ahem), my love fo
Emilia Stirling
I read the book, The Thirteenth Pearl. it is about Nancy, she is a detective. Her latest case is to locate a stolen pearl necklace that is very valuable. She soon learns that strange, mysterious, and dangerous people are responsible for the theft of the necklace. They harass her at home and intensify the harassment when she and her father go to Japan. To avoid the perpetual harassment of these mysterious people, Nancy even had to disguise herself as a Japanese girl!
In her search for clues to w
Sarah Crawford
The story revolves around pearls, pearl necklaces and, in particular, a 13th pearl on at least some of the necklaces. Mr. Moto runs a jewelry shop and he's robbed and later disappears. The main thing taken is a valuable pearl necklaces that has a 13th pearl on it. A group called World Wide Gems is the suspect, and certain people associated with are particular suspects.

Nancy and her father end up going to Japan where a variety of things happening, including the standard threats to Nancy. There's
Katie Dever
Mar 04, 2015 Katie Dever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know the series continues after 56, but this technically is the last of the originals. I'm kind of sad after finally reading this book many years too late. I used to read these as a 10 year old. In my dark room, I'd get scared of the evil criminals in these tales. I used to fantasize being Nancy Drew.

As a fan of this series, there wasn't many things that bothered me in this book. Just the fact that it is kinda of impossible for an 18 year old to figure all this out within a few weeks/days. No
Jessi
Nancy has a new mystery and this time she's off to Japan!
A rare pearl necklace owned by Mrs. Rossmeyer (who keeps popping up and having jewels stolen all around Europe) has been stolen and Nancy needs to help track the thieves. The jeweler from whose shop the jewels were stolen also disappears. Nancy travels overseas with her father and discovers that the theft is just one in a series of connected thefts. There are all sorts of interesting cultural tidbits about Japan that are probably horridly
Ashleigh
Mar 08, 2012 Ashleigh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Wow! I can't believe I'm finally done with the Nancy Drew books. It took longer than I expected, a year and a little over two months, I honestly don't even remember them all. The final book could have been a lot more spectacular, the end quote wasn't even by Nancy herself, but it wasn't bad. It was a lot like all the others. I do wish it would have ended more conclusively, and time passed accurately (Nancy was 18 in all 56 mysteries, each took more than a week), but, for children's books, I supp ...more
Kami
I did it. I have now read all 56 Nancy Drew books. It's kind of bitter sweet that this is the last one. Overall this book had an interesting enough storyline but it was kind of slow. Bess and George were hardly in it at all which made me kind of sad. I was also hoping for a little bit more closure since this is the last book. I'd say that the best books in this series are definitely the first ten of them; the last twenty or so all start feeling the same and they get pretty boring. I still think ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Lanelle Duke
Maybe it's because it's #56, but this Nancy Drew mystery was short on plot. I read it as a kid, and just read it aloud to my girls. I'm as big a Nancy Drew fan as anyone, but this one was far from my favorite.
Eva Moss
Feb 19, 2015 Eva Moss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great review for a great book

This book is one of the best Nancy Drew mysteries I have ever read. It has suspense and keeps you on the look out for Nancy Drew. With the threatening phone calls and notes, Kidnappings, and vicious dogs for his Nancy Drew is a great. Suspense novel.
Carolee
Jul 28, 2011 Carolee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just had to include ALL (56) of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories in my virtual library. I read the entire collection during Grades 5 and 6 - I think, just to say I did. Thank goodness LeeAnne Werry (a wonderful school friend at my rural school) had almost the entire series. I remember I was sooooooo jealous!
Julian
Jan 04, 2010 Julian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
In The Thirteenth Pearl a group of pearl worshipers steal strings of pearls and other valuable things such as a ruby and diamond necklace which was put in Nancy's sleeve to frame her for the thefts.

Nancy must clear her name and solve the case of the thirteenth pearl.

I liked this book because it's about jewelry thefts and some weird pearl worshiping cult.
Olivia
May 26, 2014 Olivia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one wasn't that great. I hate when Nancy goes to another country and everyone happens to speak English and the police are willing to drop everything to help her. Also Nancy seems to run around in circles and take a pointless trip to Japan. Not one of the best but it is the last of the original Nancy Drew series so it's worth a read.
Victoria Budkey
Aug 08, 2015 Victoria Budkey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in the ORIGINAL yellow-back series, and I'm quite happy with it. Nancy is one of my role models.

Fun fact: The Nancy Drew computer game, Shadow at the Water's Edge, was partly inspired by this mystery.
Stacey
Jun 13, 2016 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
Monica
children's literature, suspense, mystery, adventure, classic, female detective, nancy drew, thirteenth pearl, pearl
Briella Rose
Jun 17, 2015 Briella Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ttr-2015
I really liked this! This mystery book is very thrilling and fun. The author is very clever and creative for making such a great book!
Brenda
Oct 14, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the last one in the original hardcover series. An OK end to the basic series but not my favourite storyline for Nancy et al.
Carrie
Aug 01, 2011 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The references to Japanese culture definately date this book, but it was still a fun read. I can see how at the time of publication it must have been exotic to your average 11 year old girl.
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Tony Schollum
Dec 14, 2014 Tony Schollum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I'm a kid and finally they made an appropriate but not lame mystery book it was an amazing cool book.
Shawnee
Nancy could have used a little discretion before running off to Japan on a wild goose chase. And spell check.
Catherine Woodman
I absolutely adored these growing up, much more so than the Hardy Boys, and still carry a fondness for them into adulthood
  • The Sign of the Crooked Arrow (Hardy Boys, #28)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Logan Bruno, Boy Baby-Sitter (Baby-Sitters Club Special Edition Readers' Request)
  • The Marshland Mystery (Trixie Belden, #10)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)

“Everyone said good-night and went to his room.” 0 likes