Start by marking “The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew, #56)” as Want to Read:
The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew, #56)

The Thirteenth Pearl (Nancy Drew #56)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,844 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Asked to locate a stolen necklace of unusual value, Nancy soon discovers that strange and dangerous people are responsible for the theft.
Published June 1st 1978 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about The Thirteenth Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thirteenth Pearl

Forrest
Sep 06, 2012 Forrest rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No, No I would not
Shelves: mysteries
Well. Re-reading this timeless treasure led me to discover that the Nancy Drew mysteries are not the novels of genius I once thought they were. This one had the particular distinction of not only being poorly written, but also containing numerous offensively discussed stereotypes about Japan and Japanese-Americans. People are described as "Oriental" and "Asiatic," and the entire mystery is really just an attempt for Carolyn Keene to describe for impressionable youth the "exotic" customs of the n ...more
John Yelverton
The last Nancy Drew book. I really, REALLY hated to see this come, but I loved the book none the less.
Phe☽♃
The Thirteenth Pearl is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 56th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Asked to locate a stolen necklace of unusual value, Nancy Drew soon discovers that strange and dangerous people are responsible for the theft.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a certain age (ahem), my love for m
Emilia Stirling
I read the book, The Thirteenth Pearl. it is about Nancy, she is a detective. Her latest case is to locate a stolen pearl necklace that is very valuable. She soon learns that strange, mysterious, and dangerous people are responsible for the theft of the necklace. They harass her at home and intensify the harassment when she and her father go to Japan. To avoid the perpetual harassment of these mysterious people, Nancy even had to disguise herself as a Japanese girl!
In her search for clues to w
Jessi
Nancy has a new mystery and this time she's off to Japan!
A rare pearl necklace owned by Mrs. Rossmeyer (who keeps popping up and having jewels stolen all around Europe) has been stolen and Nancy needs to help track the thieves. The jeweler from whose shop the jewels were stolen also disappears. Nancy travels overseas with her father and discovers that the theft is just one in a series of connected thefts. There are all sorts of interesting cultural tidbits about Japan that are probably horridly
Ashleigh
Wow! I can't believe I'm finally done with the Nancy Drew books. It took longer than I expected, a year and a little over two months, I honestly don't even remember them all. The final book could have been a lot more spectacular, the end quote wasn't even by Nancy herself, but it wasn't bad. It was a lot like all the others. I do wish it would have ended more conclusively, and time passed accurately (Nancy was 18 in all 56 mysteries, each took more than a week), but, for children's books, I supp ...more
Catherine Raphael
the last book of nancy drew series
its very breath taking mystery
Atyeh
I love nancy drew books they rock
Melanie
Nov 21, 2014 Melanie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is the LAST ONE. And there are still unanswered questions, like where is River Heights? (My guess is upstate NY.) What caused Mrs. Drew's death (one book said she died "suddenly" and one other one mentioned "a brief illness" but that's it)? Why didn't Hannah, who was apparently married herself at some point, but has lived with the Drews since Mrs. Drew kicked it, ever get married to Carson? Could you really have a platonic relationship with your live-in housekeeper for fifteen years?
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Julian
In The Thirteenth Pearl a group of pearl worshipers steal strings of pearls and other valuable things such as a ruby and diamond necklace which was put in Nancy's sleeve to frame her for the thefts.

Nancy must clear her name and solve the case of the thirteenth pearl.

I liked this book because it's about jewelry thefts and some weird pearl worshiping cult.
Olivia
This one wasn't that great. I hate when Nancy goes to another country and everyone happens to speak English and the police are willing to drop everything to help her. Also Nancy seems to run around in circles and take a pointless trip to Japan. Not one of the best but it is the last of the original Nancy Drew series so it's worth a read.
Carolee
I just had to include ALL (56) of the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories in my virtual library. I read the entire collection during Grades 5 and 6 - I think, just to say I did. Thank goodness LeeAnne Werry (a wonderful school friend at my rural school) had almost the entire series. I remember I was sooooooo jealous!
Carrie
The references to Japanese culture definately date this book, but it was still a fun read. I can see how at the time of publication it must have been exotic to your average 11 year old girl.
EclecticElegance
When I was eight or nine years old, I remember checking this one out of the library mostly to see if Nancy and Ned got married, because I thought this was the end of the series. :P
Emily
This book is action packed !it about how nancy goes to Japan and tries to solve a mystery but the clues get all tangled up. This book is great and you Would love this book to!
Janie Hepler
Not one of the best. They're usually better when Bess and George are involved more. And it's a bit misogynistic, but that's only to be expected of the time period, I guess.
Audrey
This is my favorite of the "original" Nancy Drew books. The little bits of cultural information about Japan are very interesting and the plot is engaging.
Grace
I really thought that this book was divine because I really like mysteries and Nancy Drew solves them.Nancy Drew and the Thirteenth Pearl
Alisha
This one was a little weirder than usual. More contrived. It is definitely one of the editor-written ones, instead of a ghost-writer one.
Catherine Woodman
I absolutely adored these growing up, much more so than the Hardy Boys, and still carry a fondness for them into adulthood
Annie
This book was totally suspenseful. Even though I think I'm too old for ND, I still found this book entertaining!
Shawnee
Nancy could have used a little discretion before running off to Japan on a wild goose chase. And spell check.
Tiff
Still enjoyed it! I miss this series. ❤️
Carmen lopez
it was cool how i got to learn to speak a LITTLE JAPANESE BUT THE MEANINGS WERE TERRIFYING!
Anvita
Not as awesome as the stanger in the shadows but still, afterall, its NANCY DREW!!!!!!!!
Marts  (Thinker)
Nancy gets mixed up with the people responsible for the theft of a valuable necklace
Amy
Nancy Drew, saving the day, again. This one was not very well written though.
♥ Sarah ♥
I <3ed this book (that's a heart)! It was adventurous, and mysterious!
Nicole Smeltzer
This book makes no sense. Are all Nancy Drew books like this? I can't remember.
  • The Crisscross Shadow (Hardy Boys, #32)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • The Marshland Mystery

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)