Start by marking “The Power of Silence: Further Lessons of Don Juan” as Want to Read:
The Power of Silence: Further Lessons of Don Juan

The Power of Silence: Further Lessons of Don Juan (The Teachings of Don Juan #8)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,914 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The Power of Silence is Castaneda's most memorable book to date--a brilliant flash of knowledge that illuminates the far reaches of the human mind, and in which sorcery and magic are revealed to be, finally, metaphors for man's need to understand himself and the world in which he lives.
Published December 31st 1987 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Silence

Ahmad Sharabiani
سکوت لحظه ای است از زبان، خاموش شدن و لال شدن نیست، سرپیچی از گفتن است؛ پس خود گونه ای سخن گفتن است. سارتر

The Power of Silence, Further Lessons of don Juan (The Teachings of Don Juan #8), Carlos Castaneda

مجموعه ی این دوازده کتاب به توالی تاریخ انتشار به زبان اصلی که همه به فارسی ترجمه شده به قرار زیر است

1-The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge (1968)
تعلیمات دون خوان (طریقه ی معرفت نزد یاکی ها) 1365 انتشارات فردوس ـ ترجمه ی حسین نیر
2 - A Separate Reality: Further Conversation with Do
Sep 15, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pagans
Shelves: witchynonfiction
I am going to give the same review to all the Carlos Castaneda books I read in that series, simply because they are all outstanding. I was lucky to come across Castaneda very early on my magickal path. My spells and rituals have always relied on the power of intent, and I have found no better education on how to focus your intent than in this series of books. Back then (1994) they were classifed as nonfiction. Lately, they say they are fiction. All I know is much of what is in these books works. ...more
Re-reading in conjunction with a book on ZPF and Quantum Mechanics (The Field by Lynne McTaggart)...they go together quite well, like the right wine with dinner...
Jandy James
By the time I read this 20 years had elapsed since reading A Yacqui Way of Knowledge. I read every Castaneda since, and though each follows the same man's life, each reveals more for as Carlos moves forward, he integrates more and more of those previous experiences. A cynic might say this is a clever way to sell books. I continue to read Castaneda because I continue to get value from it.
Gori Suture
This book covers the importance of perception, how to control one’s perception by shifting the “assemblage point,” and lessons in understanding intent and silent knowledge. It is some rather abstract ideas, but I didn’t have any trouble following the concepts, even though I read this book out of order. My only complaint is that it’s a little skinny and doesn’t feel complete.
Personally I have no concern with whether these books are fiction or non-fiction, I found them to be good friends. Some very enjoyable tricks learned in the choices I makes when interacting with my environment.
"Power of Silence" challenges the targeted reader to take action to consolidate their energy, develop their awareness, and improve their ability to handle intent. The lessons here are priceless.
Karen Robiscoe

The Power of Silence. I've read all his books, but this is my favorite. Speaks the most to method for achieving enlightenment--figuratively speaking, of course. :)
Bert Carson
Carlos Castaneda didn't understand Don Juan Matus but Don Juan understood everything and that's what matters.
This was the only book after the first four by Castaneda that appealed to me. The dense and interrelated concepts woven into metaphors with RAM hungry thinking required to try and comprehend drove the point home that dedicated practice to the point of a lifestyle change is the least effort required to even begin to expect benefits from these teachings.
Back to dedicated practice as the only way to growth... .
I found the writings of Lujan Matus -especially Whisperings of the Dragon; Shamanic tech
Iona  Stewart
This is the first book I’ve read by Castaneda in the last many, many years. I’m afraid I’m not good at reading books in the correct order, and this applies with Castaneda’s books too. It would perhaps have been easier to begin with his first books.

In this book we are instructed, among other things, about the art of stalking and the mastery of intent.

We learn about a point of brilliance called the assemblage point on the surface of the luminous ball surrounding our body. When this is moved from i
This is one that I have brand new shiny copy that I bet money I've never read.

June 2011

Another box of books has been reopened for cleaning, sorting, and reevaluation and lo and behold, many of the collected works of Carlos Castaneda are part of the contents.

Many years have gone but I remember this author and his works vividly. [Now don't get any ideas as to an allusion I may or may not be making] At some point I stopped purchasing more in the series and put them away. There's a 'blur' factor as
Castaneda was a graduate student studying Anthropology and was doing his thesis on Mexican Shaman and their use of regional plants and herbs to induce psychotropic effects in an attempt to cure people of various illnesses. Castaneda starts off with a scientist view, as a skeptic and later is blown away by what happens to him, which then becomes his life long pursuits. If you plan on reading these books, start with the Yaqui Way of Life, which is the first book and be prepared to be engrossed in ...more
Ivinela Samuilova
All books of Carlos Castaneda are very important to me. He (and his Don Juan), Vadim Zeland - writer from Russia, quantum physicist and Alexey Bachev - an unusual psychologist from Bulgaria, protagonist of my book Life Can Be a Miracle have shaped my way of thinking, perceiving, experiencing the reality. Very grateful for showing me the miraculous way of living!!!!
A very enlightening read. I know as with Castaneda's other books it has expanded my philisophical, and physical understandings of the universe. The lessons I've taken from this volume have already started to deeply penetrate my daily perceptions. In some cases I doubt my psyche will ever fully rid itself of those corners and depths of understanding.
Did you find your spot within your egg? Thought not. But this work begins to finish the necessary work Castaneda took on. Don Juan knew that as his form of imersion into that 'other' reality, his sorcery, was dying out, perhaps it was enough to call Castaneda to himself to vivdly keep his method and wisdom alive through his take-him-through-it amanuensis.
Emeraldia Ayakashi
Despite its progress on the "way of the warrior" that have earned the prestigious title of "nagual", Castaneda remains an eternal disciple of Don Juan face who tirelessly pursues his teaching and trying to initiate his pupil concepts increasingly sophisticated and concise at a time. That is, the element of mystery which remains attached to the apprentice, the "abstract cores," these truths that do not pass through words and are part of a "silent knowledge" that leaves tackle by direct intuition. ...more
One of the most fascinating looks into another culture's belief system about our place in the universe that I've ever read. All the ones after this keep getting better and better. An incredible mentorship and friendship between the author and his Yaqui native shaman mentor.
This was my favourite Carlos Castaneda book. It presents the ideas of Intent and stalking yourself very clearly, both concepts I feel are important tools in living a meaningful life regardless of your belief and life purpose.
Silence has been a big theme for me this year. Some of the chapters in this book were disturbing. Unfortunately, I did not finish the book before the renewals ran out. I may go back to it eventually.
Jan 03, 2008 Drew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who appreciate quietude
The title is the key. Although there is far more to the tales of power than silence alone. This is my favorite of Castaneda's works. Pure zen, quiet, and energetic.
Carlos Castaneda recounts his time with his teacher, the nagual don Juan, and his experiences with the learning of the abstract cores of sorcery.
Aug 01, 2007 Adrian added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hippies / mystics / open minds
there's book after book after book in this series!
p o w e r f u l stuff. makes me wanna disappear in
Mexico for a while. become a shaman.
Zarya Bintz
This is perhaps my favorite book in the series but I think it necessary to read all of them to fully comprehend what he's writing about.
Matthew Wakefield
I have read this book many times and love it more each time. Castaneda is always a breath of fresh air.
One of a series of books by Carlos Castenada that jump started my spiritual quest.
The one of the Best Book I came across, wonderful book...
This is a good book for whom believe in fact of life.
Kostadin Ristov
great spiritual book, very deep,this book has make me aware more about the cosmos, the energy,the intuition.
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • The Witch's Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • The Varieties of Psychedelic Experience
  • Ayahuasca in My Blood: 25 Years of Medicine Dreaming
  • The Antipodes of the Mind: Charting the Phenomenology of the Ayahuasca Experience
  • Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey Into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism
  • The Great Divide: History and Human Nature in the Old World and the New
  • The Center of the Cyclone: Looking into Inner Space
  • Beyond the Occult
  • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
  • Infinite Mind: Science of the Human Vibrations of Consciousness
  • Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy (Bollingen)
Carlos Castaneda (December 25, 1925 – April 27, 1998) was a Peruvian-born American author. Immigration records for Carlos Cesar Arana Castaneda indicate that he was born on December 25, 1925 in Cajamarca, Perú. Records show that his surname was given by his mother Susana Castañeda Navoa. His father was Cesar Arana Burungaray. His surname appears with the ñ in many Hispanic dictionaries, even thoug ...more
More about Carlos Castaneda...

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Eagle's Gift
  • Fire from Within
  • The Art of Dreaming
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
  • The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe

“Πρώτα από όλα θα θελα να πω ότι όσα κάνω για σένα είναι τσάμπα. Δεν χρειάζεται να πληρώσεις. Όπως ξέρεις, υπήρξα άψογος μαζί σου και όπως ξέρεις, επίσης αυτό δεν έχει καμία σχέση με τις δικές μου επενδύσεις. Παίρνω όμως κάτι ανυπολόγιστης αξίας από τη σχέση μας, ένα είδος ανταμοιβής που φέρομαι άψογα. Και αυτό που παίρνω είναι εκείνο ακριβώς το πράγμα που δεν θα καταλάβεις ή δεν θα σ αρέσει. Αν με κρίνεις σύμφωνα με τις πράξεις μου σε σχέση με σένα, θα πρέπει να παραδεχτείς ότι υπήρξα ένα υπόδειγμα υπομονής και συνέπειας. Εκείνο όμως που δεν ξέρεις είναι ότι για να το καταφέρω αυτό πάλεψα για να μαι άψογος όπως δεν έχω παλέψει ποτέ στη ζωή μου. Για να περνώ το χρόνο μου μαζί σου, έπρεπε να μετασχηματίζω τον εαυτό μου σε καθημερινή βάση, περιοριζόμενος με συντριπτική προσπάθεια. Είσαι μικρόψυχος, σπάταλος, προκατειλημμένος, καταναγκαστικός, ανυπόμονος, ξιπασμένος. Είσαι δύστροπος, υπολογιστής και αγνώμων. Έχεις μια ανεξάντλητη ικανότητα να ευχαριστείς τον εαυτό σου και το χειρότερο απ όλα έχεις μια τρομερή ιδέα για τον εαυτό σου που δεν μαζεύεται με τίποτα. Θα μπορούσα να πω ειλικρινά ότι και η απλή σου παρουσία με κάνει να θέλω να ξεράσω. Οι λόγοι των πολεμιστών είναι πολύ απλοί, η λεπτότητά τους όμως είναι εξαιρετική. Είναι μια σπάνια ευκαιρία για έναν πολεμιστή να του δοθεί η ευκαιρία να είναι άψογος, ενάντια στα αισθήματά του. Εσύ μου έδωσες αυτή τη μοναδική ευκαιρία. Η πράξη του να προσφέρω ελεύθερα και άψογα με ανανεώνει και ανανεώνει και το ενδιαφέρον μου. Αυτά που παίρνω από τη σχέση μας έχουν πραγματικά ανυπολόγιστη αξία για μένα. Σου χρωστάω πολλά.»” 2 likes