Start by marking “Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man” as Want to Read:
Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man

Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man

Advertising pioneer and visionary Roger Sterling, Jr., served with distinction in the Navy during World War II, and joined Sterling Cooper Advertising as a junior account executive in 1947. He worked his way up to managing partner before leaving to found his own agency, Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, in 1963.

During his long and illustrious career, Sterling has come into con
Published November 16th 2010 by Grove/Atlantic, Inc. (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sterling's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sterling's Gold

Joy
Nov 20, 2013 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mad Men fans
This is a fun book for Mad Men fans! It's a very quick read since there are only a few lines (Roger's quips from Mad Men) on each page. Some of his lines are quite memorable and I enjoyed reading them especially since the show isn't on the air right now.

Here are some of my favorite lines -

"I told him to be himself. That was pretty mean I guess."

"Like the song says, "Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think."

"Not to get too deep before the cocktail hour, but do I need to remind you of the finit
Graceann
Feb 23, 2012 Graceann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mad Men fans
Shelves: humor
Mad Men fans will be familiar with Roger Sterling's marvelous character, played beautifully by John Slattery. He gets some of the best lines written in a series abundant with brilliant scripts. In this little volume, the wittiest of his bon mots is offered up. It's a gift book, and only for Mad Men fans, because it won't make sense to anyone who hasn't seen the show, but it's a nifty little diversion for those of us who are addicted to the fun of the series.
Angela Spores
This is a quick and easy read. If you are a fan of the show, you'll recognize these sayings and most likely reminisce about the scenes that they were uttered during. You can read the whole think in under an hour.
Jennifer Gabriel
Dec 10, 2010 Jennifer Gabriel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start this review by stating for the record that I am a huge fan of Mad Men on AMC, and when I saw that the book that the character Roger Sterling dictated throughout this last season was actually going to be published, I thought the producers of the show had taken one huge step towards introducing the show to a much larger audience. What fun, I thought, reading the memoirs of a fictional character that I already love & appreciate. I decided to purchase the book on my Kindle, and sit ...more
Julie
Nov 25, 2010 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is not what I expected. Oh, I didn't expect anything brimming with brilliance. But I did expect something original.

I expected some advice for being in the advertising business. Sure, it could be little snippets. Little one-liners. Though I would prefer something a little more lengthy than that. There's plenty of business books out there that manage to say very little with a whole lot of words.

What this book actually is is just a bunch of quotes from the show (Mad Men). They're arranged
Jon Cone
Apr 12, 2011 Jon Cone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A faux-book attributed to MADMEN ad-executive Roger Sterling. The good lines here extracted from the show seem weaker than I remember them being; though there are a few one might want to have on hand for the next cocktail hour. Essentially, this is a gathering of tweets. The one fine moment in the book is to be seen on page 138. I'm still trying to figure out if it was wise -- or even appropriate -- for Grove Press to publish this novelity title. Though, to be honest, I don't know and I don't re ...more
Lee Anne
Sadly, this is not the "real" autobiography of fictional adman Roger Sterling, as seen dictated during this past season of AMC's "Mad Men," but rather a collection of Roger's best quotes from the show. Although the production design is great, especially the sepia-washed photos and the line drawing portrait on the back, you don't want to buy this book--save your money, sit down at your local Barnes & Noble, and read it there. It will take all of 15 minutes.
Thomas Verschueren
One of the worst ripoff books ever. If you were expecting an actual faux autobiography like you see the character dictate in the series, then be warned this is not it. This is just 170pages of quotes by Sterling directly from the series. In the context of the scenes they were probably great, but out of context it's boring, not funny and a waste of 12.99. Really, look elsewhere for a book, because this isn't one... ...more
Nicholas
This book gets 3 stars simply because it exists and that's awesome. Phisically, it looks really nice, just like it did in the show. Inside is a brief introduction by the character of Roger Sterling. Each page after that has a quote by Roger on it, and there are occasional pictures from the show. I'm glad they didn't actually try to write a book on advertising - this is fun how it is. Although, some of the quotes make more sense in context.
Skylar Dorset
A friend who's a fellow "Mad Men" watcher bought this book for me, which was very sweet of her, knowing that Roger is basically my favorite character. This book was a bit disappointing, though, because it's basically just about 150 of Roger's best lines from the show. I thought there would be a bit more substance to it than that. The lines are decent, but this book does drive home exactly how much John Slattery brings to the role. His delivery raises them to a much higher bar.
Thomas Shaw
Jan 16, 2011 Thomas Shaw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
First off, who really read this hoping for advertising advice? He isn't a real person...

I am a huge Mad Men fan. There isn't a drama like this on TV and it was fun to see some of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite characters, but I wouldn't buy this. You are better off just watching the show.
Brittany
Apr 16, 2013 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
When I found this in the library I was hoping for a 'real' faux autobiography of Roger Sterling. Once I opened it, I saw that that was not the case. But I took it home anyway and read it in about 15 minutes. It consists of quotes from the show, one on every page. I love the character, but this book was just bleh.
Pj
Jul 23, 2015 Pj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, film-tv, fiction
Admittedly this is five stars largely as a result of the show. The book itself is a collection of quotes and a step up from small coffee table books that have been released for other shows. A bonus is that it comes designed to look like Roger Sterling's book came to life.
Mentor
Oct 19, 2012 Mentor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Roger Sterling's wit is one of the highlights of Mad Men.
Unfortunately, this book doesn't reflect the best of the character.
Most of the phrases are uninspired and not funny at all.
From something around 150 phrases, not more than 10 reminds Sterling's style.
Nicolas
May 07, 2014 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger's one-liners are one of my favorite aspects of Mad Men. There wasn't much too this book, just a collection of some of his best lines. It was really fun to read though. It brought to mind some great scenes from the show. This was good for what it was.
Amanda
Nov 17, 2010 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It would have been nice if they weren't lazy and just repurposed quotes from the show - there are websites that already do that for free (seriously, $20?). The intro, which was actually new material and written in character, left me wanting.
Kathie H
Mar 28, 2011 Kathie H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
"When God closes a door, he opens a dress." I adore John Slattery as Roger Sterling. This book is a quick read but you'll love it. Great conversation starter. Please, MAD MEN, don't ruin a good thing. You're starting to lose me with this two-years-between-seasons thing.
Kristina
Jan 04, 2011 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Roger Sterling. Naye, I love John Slattery. Some more originality would have been nice but when you can read wit and wisdom such as: "when God shuts a door he opens a dress" whenever I want.... I'm not going to complain. :)
Erin Tuzuner
May 26, 2012 Erin Tuzuner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film-tv, 2012, biofic, fiction
This was a nicely packaged collection of Roger quotes. Succinct, witty, and misleading: Roger in a nutshell.
Vonne
Apr 14, 2011 Vonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was kind of cool to see some of the best lines Mad Men has had so far over the years. Also you have the "real" Book Roger wrote is still surreal to me.
Mike Moskos
Feb 14, 2012 Mike Moskos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book
A short, coffee table-style book of quips spoken by Roger Sterling on Mad Men. Not bad for what it is: a way to remember some of his well-written lines.
Stephwereley
I read this at the library in 10 minutes because I'm trying to meet my 2015 quota. Roger always had the best lines.
Steven Buechler
This book is snippets of one-liners from the TV series of Mad Men. But it isn't the long read I expected it to be.
Mary
Jan 14, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute collection of Mad Men quotes, but sadly not the story Sterling narrated in the show about Blankenship being a hell cat.
Andrea
May 16, 2011 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lame. I kinda thought it would be the memoir mentioned on the show, but was instead a collection of lines from the show. Boring and useless, and a wasted opportunity, in my opinion.
Janette Speyer
May 26, 2012 Janette Speyer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After having worked for years in advertising and being a fan of Mad Men. I really though I would relate to this book. I was very disappointed. It offered no redeeming qualities.
Rich Thomas
Jul 17, 2013 Rich Thomas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
This is more of a TV show prop than a book. It should have been something good, but it was just quotes from the TV show.
Melissa Acuna
Jan 03, 2011 Melissa Acuna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of the wittiest and best Roger Sterling Quotes from Mad Men. Well worth the money for this book.....it's a title that will stay on my desk to be mined for quotes.
SuperCat
Sadly this book is not Roger's autobiography but a collection of quotes from the previously aired seasons. It still gets three stars just for existing and being on my bookshelf.
Cindy
Apr 28, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excepting the actual book, but it was just pages of things from the show.. It was nice to see pictures though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Mad Men: the Illustrated World
  • The Shape of Things to Come: Prophecy and the American Voice
  • Mad Men Unbuttoned: A Romp Through 1960s America
  • Not So Big Solutions for Your Home
  • The Great Showdowns
  • The All New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook: Over 1,250 of Our Best Recipes
  • Windows 7 For Dummies
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • Under the Influence: A Guide to the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism
  • Touchpoints 3 to 6
  • Simplify Your Life with Kids: 1 Ways to Make Family Life Easier and More Fun
  • The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers
  • New Choices in Natural Healing: Over 1,800 of the Best Self-Help Remedies from the World of Alternative Medicine
  • The Man Who Went to the Far Side of the Moon: The Story of Apollo 11 Astronaut Michael Collins
  • Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge
  • Patterns for College Writing: A Rhetorical Reader and Guide
  • The Best International Recipe: A Home Cook's Guide To The Best Recipes In The World (Best Recipe Classics) (A Best Recipe Classic)
  • The Unofficial LEGO Builder's Guide