Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man

Sterling's Gold: Wit and Wisdom of an Ad Man

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Advertising pioneer and visionary Roger Sterling, Jr., served with distinction in the Navy during World War II, and joined Sterling Cooper Advertising as a junior account executive in 1947. He worked his way up to managing partner before leaving to found his own agency, Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, in 1963.

During his long and illustrious career, Sterling has come into con...more
Published November 16th 2010 by Grove/Atlantic, Inc. (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sterling's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sterling's Gold

Joy
Nov 20, 2013 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mad Men fans
This is a fun book for Mad Men fans! It's a very quick read since there are only a few lines (Roger's quips from Mad Men) on each page. Some of his lines are quite memorable and I enjoyed reading them especially since the show isn't on the air right now.

Here are some of my favorite lines -

"I told him to be himself. That was pretty mean I guess."

"Like the song says, "Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think."

"Not to get too deep before the cocktail hour, but do I need to remind you of the finit...more
Graceann
Feb 23, 2012 Graceann rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mad Men fans
Shelves: humor
Mad Men fans will be familiar with Roger Sterling's marvelous character, played beautifully by John Slattery. He gets some of the best lines written in a series abundant with brilliant scripts. In this little volume, the wittiest of his bon mots is offered up. It's a gift book, and only for Mad Men fans, because it won't make sense to anyone who hasn't seen the show, but it's a nifty little diversion for those of us who are addicted to the fun of the series.
Angela Spores
This is a quick and easy read. If you are a fan of the show, you'll recognize these sayings and most likely reminisce about the scenes that they were uttered during. You can read the whole think in under an hour.
Julie
This book is not what I expected. Oh, I didn't expect anything brimming with brilliance. But I did expect something original.

I expected some advice for being in the advertising business. Sure, it could be little snippets. Little one-liners. Though I would prefer something a little more lengthy than that. There's plenty of business books out there that manage to say very little with a whole lot of words.

What this book actually is is just a bunch of quotes from the show (Mad Men). They're arranged...more
Jennifer Gabriel
Let me start this review by stating for the record that I am a huge fan of Mad Men on AMC, and when I saw that the book that the character Roger Sterling dictated throughout this last season was actually going to be published, I thought the producers of the show had taken one huge step towards introducing the show to a much larger audience. What fun, I thought, reading the memoirs of a fictional character that I already love & appreciate. I decided to purchase the book on my Kindle, and sit...more
Jon Cone
A faux-book attributed to MADMEN ad-executive Roger Sterling. The good lines here extracted from the show seem weaker than I remember them being; though there are a few one might want to have on hand for the next cocktail hour. Essentially, this is a gathering of tweets. The one fine moment in the book is to be seen on page 138. I'm still trying to figure out if it was wise -- or even appropriate -- for Grove Press to publish this novelity title. Though, to be honest, I don't know and I don't re...more
Skylar Dorset
A friend who's a fellow "Mad Men" watcher bought this book for me, which was very sweet of her, knowing that Roger is basically my favorite character. This book was a bit disappointing, though, because it's basically just about 150 of Roger's best lines from the show. I thought there would be a bit more substance to it than that. The lines are decent, but this book does drive home exactly how much John Slattery brings to the role. His delivery raises them to a much higher bar.
Lee Anne
Sadly, this is not the "real" autobiography of fictional adman Roger Sterling, as seen dictated during this past season of AMC's "Mad Men," but rather a collection of Roger's best quotes from the show. Although the production design is great, especially the sepia-washed photos and the line drawing portrait on the back, you don't want to buy this book--save your money, sit down at your local Barnes & Noble, and read it there. It will take all of 15 minutes.
Nicholas
This book gets 3 stars simply because it exists and that's awesome. Phisically, it looks really nice, just like it did in the show. Inside is a brief introduction by the character of Roger Sterling. Each page after that has a quote by Roger on it, and there are occasional pictures from the show. I'm glad they didn't actually try to write a book on advertising - this is fun how it is. Although, some of the quotes make more sense in context.
Thomas Verschueren
One of the worst ripoff books ever. If you were expecting an actual faux autobiography like you see the character dictate in the series, then be warned this is not it. This is just 170pages of quotes by Sterling directly from the series. In the context of the scenes they were probably great, but out of context it's boring, not funny and a waste of £12.99. Really, look elsewhere for a book, because this isn't one...
Brittany
When I found this in the library I was hoping for a 'real' faux autobiography of Roger Sterling. Once I opened it, I saw that that was not the case. But I took it home anyway and read it in about 15 minutes. It consists of quotes from the show, one on every page. I love the character, but this book was just bleh.
Thomas Shaw
First off, who really read this hoping for advertising advice? He isn't a real person...

I am a huge Mad Men fan. There isn't a drama like this on TV and it was fun to see some of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite characters, but I wouldn't buy this. You are better off just watching the show.
Kathie H
Mar 28, 2011 Kathie H rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
"When God closes a door, he opens a dress." I adore John Slattery as Roger Sterling. This book is a quick read but you'll love it. Great conversation starter. Please, MAD MEN, don't ruin a good thing. You're starting to lose me with this two-years-between-seasons thing.
Mentor
Roger Sterling's wit is one of the highlights of Mad Men.
Unfortunately, this book doesn't reflect the best of the character.
Most of the phrases are uninspired and not funny at all.
From something around 150 phrases, not more than 10 reminds Sterling's style.
Chad Jalandoni
If you are a huge Roger Sterling/Mad Men fan, this book is more valuable just as a collectible. It is pretty much his one-liners and quips about life throughout the series. I read through it in 10 minutes, but once in a while I look through it to get a good laugh.
Nicolas
Roger's one-liners are one of my favorite aspects of Mad Men. There wasn't much too this book, just a collection of some of his best lines. It was really fun to read though. It brought to mind some great scenes from the show. This was good for what it was.
Amanda
It would have been nice if they weren't lazy and just repurposed quotes from the show - there are websites that already do that for free (seriously, $20?). The intro, which was actually new material and written in character, left me wanting.
Kristina
I love Roger Sterling. Naye, I love John Slattery. Some more originality would have been nice but when you can read wit and wisdom such as: "when God shuts a door he opens a dress" whenever I want.... I'm not going to complain. :)
Melissa Acuna
Great collection of the wittiest and best Roger Sterling Quotes from Mad Men. Well worth the money for this book.....it's a title that will stay on my desk to be mined for quotes.
Andrea
Lame. I kinda thought it would be the memoir mentioned on the show, but was instead a collection of lines from the show. Boring and useless, and a wasted opportunity, in my opinion.
Janette Speyer
After having worked for years in advertising and being a fan of Mad Men. I really though I would relate to this book. I was very disappointed. It offered no redeeming qualities.
SuperCat
Sadly this book is not Roger's autobiography but a collection of quotes from the previously aired seasons. It still gets three stars just for existing and being on my bookshelf.
Mike Moskos
A short, coffee table-style book of quips spoken by Roger Sterling on Mad Men. Not bad for what it is: a way to remember some of his well-written lines.
Vonne
It was kind of cool to see some of the best lines Mad Men has had so far over the years. Also you have the "real" Book Roger wrote is still surreal to me.
Mary
A cute collection of Mad Men quotes, but sadly not the story Sterling narrated in the show about Blankenship being a hell cat.
Rich Thomas
This is more of a TV show prop than a book. It should have been something good, but it was just quotes from the TV show.
Cindy
I was excepting the actual book, but it was just pages of things from the show.. It was nice to see pictures though.
Steven Buechler
This book is snippets of one-liners from the TV series of Mad Men. But it isn't the long read I expected it to be.
Erin Tuzuner
This was a nicely packaged collection of Roger quotes. Succinct, witty, and misleading: Roger in a nutshell.