Bear Wants More (Bear)
in his warm winter den
a bear wakes up
very hungry and thin!..."
Bear finds some roots to eat, but that's not enough. He wants more! With his friends' help, he finds some berries, clover, and fish to eat, but that's not enough. Bear wants more!
How Bear's friends help him to finally satisfy his HUGE hunger in a most surprising way will enchant y...more
The only thing I wasn't wild about was bear eating the fish--I was glad that the initial illustration when he caught t ...more
These books always gloss over the difficulties of a bear being friends with mice, birds, etc. yet ravenously devouring any fish it sees. Why don't the fish's feelings count? Are fish like the carrots of the sea?
Also I hate when kids books rhyme, but without any sense of meter. It's like they don't understand the concept! They should go back and read Dr. Seuss; he actually took the time to do it right.
ILLUSTRATIONS: As with all of the Bear books, the pictures in this book are adorable, colorful, and fun. I always love the animals' ...more
Annotation - This story is a great read aloud with each animal who finds bear and really wants to find him something to eat since he is so hungry.
Age appropriateness 0-7
Connection to six early literacy skills
This is great for many different literacy skills but I like it for narrative skill because it builds up each ti ...more
The scene at the end reminded me of a classic Winnie-the-Pooh story.
Books like Bear Wants More make up about 75% of the books I love, love, love. (The other 25% consists of books like Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You. This could easily be turned around but I'd be afraid I'd run this sort of book into the ground and it would break my heart.)
This was picked up by chance at our local library because... well, it looks cute. I do judge books by their cover more often than not.
I love short verses that rhyme, awesomely adorable illus ...more
The story starts with a bear waking up from a long sleep. He is hungry and decides to go in search of food. He meets up with his different animal friends as they are beginning to go find food for themselves. The bear then joins that animal friend and eats some of the food they find together.
This book has fantastic rhythm and rhyme.
This book features all the same characters from Bear Snores On, so its familiar, and has lots of voices to do (if you do that).
My favorite part is by far the repetition! The "refrain" of the story is, "but the bear wants more". Because this line is repeated over and over again, even young children are able to join in and help tell the story.
This is also a great book for a slightly ol ...more
He eats and eats but always wants more!
I liked the basic story and loved the illustrations!
But I did not appreciate the fact that Bear never once THANKED any of his friends for helping him find so much food!
Jane Chapman does a wonderful job capturing the essence of the woodland creatures. Her illustrations are beautiful, sweet, endearing, but not at all cartooni ...more
Astute parents will notice that all of the animals on the cover are making the ASL sign for "more".
SIDEBAR: Does it bug out anyone else when one of the anthropomorphic animal characters is a carnivore? Not that bears a strict carnivores, but there's this scene in Bear Wants More where he catches a fish (who happens to be smiling, I ...more