Bear Wants More

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  3,693 ratings  ·  136 reviews
When springtime comes,

in his warm winter den

a bear wakes up

very hungry and thin!..."

Bear finds some roots to eat, but that's not enough. He wants more! With his friends' help, he finds some berries, clover, and fish to eat, but that's not enough. Bear wants more!

How Bear's friends help him to finally satisfy his HUGE hunger in a most surprising way will enchant y

Published January 1st 2003 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
217th out of 1,180 books — 875 voters
Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneA Bear Called Paddington by Michael BondThe House at Pooh Corner by A.A. MilneBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Best Bear Books
48th out of 56 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Very cute, fun rhyming story about Bear, who has awakened from his winter slumbers quite hungry and thin. His forest friends help lead him to food but after every meal "bear wants MORE!" There's a cute surprise ending. I really love Karma Wilson's work, she has such an effortless rhyme scheme and Champan's illustrations are just adorable. I have enjoyed all the bear books so far.

The only thing I wasn't wild about was bear eating the fish--I was glad that the initial illustration when he caught t...more
Amar Pai
Ho hum. Glib, slick and forgettable. Anybody can write a children's book-- the bar is SO low.

These books always gloss over the difficulties of a bear being friends with mice, birds, etc. yet ravenously devouring any fish it sees. Why don't the fish's feelings count? Are fish like the carrots of the sea?

Also I hate when kids books rhyme, but without any sense of meter. It's like they don't understand the concept! They should go back and read Dr. Seuss; he actually took the time to do it right.
Charlie George
Nice rhyming and cadence, the way I think a children's book should read. It skips along like Dr. Seuss, but isn't so silly and feels more modern and worthwhile.
Candice
Mar 22, 2012 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
One of my favorite author/illustrator teams has done it again! Another Bear book with happy, clever rhymes and endearing illustrations. Bear wakes up from his winter nap, and he is famished! His animal friends show him where to find food, but it's never enough, and thus the refrain "the bear wants more" is repeated over and over - just enough for toddlers to know what's coming next. A fun book that will lead to conversations about how some animals hibernate while others do not. Also, if you look...more
Lisa Vegan
This is almost too adorable; it really has to be read to young children so that adults can appreciate the story too. The bear has the most innocent facial expression and manner. The rhyming and repetitive story is great for picture book age children and the illustrations convey a lushness I liked, and I thought the bear was painted well, but I wasn’t so wild about some of the other animals’ appearances.
Dolly
Jul 05, 2008 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading to young children
Shelves: childrens, 2007
Our girls love the Bear books by Karma Wilson. They are great stories to read aloud, rhyming, sing-song narrative with colorful and fun illustrations. We've read most of her books over and over and over! Our girls really like them and so do I!
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - Bear wakes up and is hungry and each of his friends help him find something to eat until he can't even fit back into his own cave. Then all of his friends want more
Annotation - This story is a great read aloud with each animal who finds bear and really wants to find him something to eat since he is so hungry.
Age appropriateness 0-7
Connection to six early literacy skills
This is great for many different literacy skills but I like it for narrative skill because it builds up each ti...more
Katherine
This story has a really cute storyline and cute illustrations! This story could be used to introduce poetry and rhyming to students. I would read this story before snack or lunch time because watching bear continue to eat in this book will make you and your students hungry! :)
Randie
Bear wakes up from his long winter's nap and is hungry. His friends share their favorite snacks (berries, fish, and clover) but Bear wants more. Will his friends be able to help him find more food?

The scene at the end reminded me of a classic Winnie-the-Pooh story.
Rosa Cline
The more "Bear" books we read the more my 2 year old granddaughter and I love them! In this one Bear has awaken from hibernation...he's hungry and goes in search of food, he finds some but 'still he wants more"...he finds his friends and they help him but he still wants more... and some other friends make a party at his cave for him but when he gets there he's grown to big to fit through his door! And they move the party for him outside so he can still enjoy it. What nice friends to do that! The...more
Lisa Hartmann
Bear Wants More by Karma Wilson is a sweet wonderful book! I love her series of Bear books. This story is about about Bear that wakes up from his winter hibernation and is hungry. He comes out of his den and starts eating. As he eats all his friends start showing up and taking him to get more food. This book in great because kids can interact in the story. The line Bear wants more, keeps repeating and kids can join in and feel like they are reading with you. The illustrations are so, so sweet. M...more
Julia Jasztal
(Mommy's review from 1/26/11)

Books like Bear Wants More make up about 75% of the books I love, love, love. (The other 25% consists of books like Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You. This could easily be turned around but I'd be afraid I'd run this sort of book into the ground and it would break my heart.)
This was picked up by chance at our local library because... well, it looks cute. I do judge books by their cover more often than not.
I love short verses that rhyme, awesomely adorable illus...more
IrenesChristianReviews
This is an adorable book about how God cares for his animals. If your child is interested in animals he/she will enjoy this book. It is meant for younger children but as an adult I even enjoyed reading it.

The story starts with a bear waking up from a long sleep. He is hungry and decides to go in search of food. He meets up with his different animal friends as they are beginning to go find food for themselves. The bear then joins that animal friend and eats some of the food they find together.

Rea...more
Samantha Penrose
This was fantastic! I liked this one so much more than Bear Snores On!
This book has fantastic rhythm and rhyme.
This book features all the same characters from Bear Snores On, so its familiar, and has lots of voices to do (if you do that).
My favorite part is by far the repetition! The "refrain" of the story is, "but the bear wants more". Because this line is repeated over and over again, even young children are able to join in and help tell the story.
This is also a great book for a slightly ol...more
Dominique St-pierre
I didn't like this book as much as Karma Wilson's others. I felt it was a bit gluttonous, even for a bear. I did like the rhyming in the book and this is how I chose to use the book with my Kindergarteners. Students each got a "Word Necklace" with one of the rhyming words and they had to find their partners. Hilarious!
Meg McGregor
Bear is back! He has been sleeping the entire winter and he is hungry!

He eats and eats but always wants more!

I liked the basic story and loved the illustrations!

But I did not appreciate the fact that Bear never once THANKED any of his friends for helping him find so much food!
Karen
Bear Wants More is a perfect spring book. Bear wakes up from his long winter hibernation and he's hungry. No matter how much he eats, he's still hungry. His friends try to help by taking him to their favorite feeding places, which is pretty brave of his small woodland friends. The story is simple, but every line is read-out-loud delightful.

Jane Chapman does a wonderful job capturing the essence of the woodland creatures. Her illustrations are beautiful, sweet, endearing, but not at all cartooni...more
Rob
A super-cute kids story by Karma Wilson, Bear Wants More reads like a follow-up to Bear Snores On. It's got a good rhyme scheme and the illustrations are wonderful.

Astute parents will notice that all of the animals on the cover are making the ASL sign for "more".

---

SIDEBAR: Does it bug out anyone else when one of the anthropomorphic animal characters is a carnivore? Not that bears a strict carnivores, but there's this scene in Bear Wants More where he catches a fish (who happens to be smiling, I...more
Emilye
This book about a bear waking up from his winter "nap" very hungry. He searches high and low for food. His friends even come to help him but nothing fills him up. Until he comes back to his den and his friends throw him a surprise party in which he eats all the food and is full but his friends are still hungry. This book shows what true friends are in a rather "kid-friendly" way. I have noticed books about this bear are popular with teachers in the lower elementary grades. They have words writte...more
Jennybug
I just love these great big colorful picture books. They are so much fun to read t children and then
you can have teddy grahams for a little snack.
Emily
Adorable book of a bear waking up after winter and being starving after not eating for so long he simply wants MORE
Rhonda K
Fun text and we both loved the illustrations. All the books in this series have been great to read.
Heather
The illustrations in this series are always a delight, and the kids always love the story.
Aidyle
Great book to read for Headstart or themed-family story times (e.g. Spring or bears or friendship)
Taylor Troncin
This was a cute book! Wesley loves animals and he really enjoyed the illustrations.
Paula
When spring comes, Bear wakes up very hungry and is treated to great food by his friends.
Chelsea Einheuser
Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman make a great team for children books.
Katie
In this 2003 sequel to BEAR SNORES ON, Bear wakes from hibernation with an insatiable appetite, his animal pals appear one or two at a time to help gather grub, and the whole adventure ends with party back at the lair. So, similar story arch and adorable pictures and cutesy rhymes as the predecessor, but this time with plot points borrowed liberally from the early chapters of WINNIE-THE-POOH, and overall kind of disappointing by comparison.

Good choice for preschool story time programs built arou...more
Melanie
Another fabulous "bear" book by Karma Wilson! Bear is awake from winter hibernation and is starving! He begins to eat the grass but still wants more. Mouse comes along and invites him to eat strawberries. When that's not enough, he follows Hare to a clover patch. Still not full he joins Badger in fishing. In the meantime, back at his den, Gopher, Mole, Raven and Wren are planning a springtime party for Bear with lots of food. When Bear has finally had enough he falls asleep. But he leaves his fr...more
  • Russell the Sheep
  • Kiss Good Night
  • The Busy Little Squirrel
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Bats at the Library
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • The Pout-Pout Fish
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Llama Llama Mad at Mama
  • How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies Bear Feels Scared