Start by marking “Life's Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter” as Want to Read:

Life's Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter
Published January 7th 2003 by Fireside (first published August 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Life's Greatest Lessons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's Greatest Lessons

Negar Safari
Jun 06, 2016 Negar Safari rated it it was amazing
می توانم به جرئت بگویم این کتاب یکی از موثرترین و بهترین کتاب هایی بوده که در زمینه روانشناسی خوانده ام...و حتی برای مرتبه ی سوم و چهارم به سراغ مطالبش میروم. ترجمه این کتاب را آقای مهدی قراچه داغی انجام داده و نشر آسیم منتشر کرده .
بیست درسی که شما باید در زندگی آنها را به کار گیرید تا از زندگی بیشتر لذت ببرید
این کتاب درباره ی خوبی هاست...خوبی های زندگی، خوبی های مردم و از همه مهم تر خوبی هایی که در شما وجود دارد
KC
Jan 28, 2009 KC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book offers some good advise about how to form a healthy philosophy on life. The gist of the advice is: be proactive, positive, don't let circumstances get you down, and be the master of your own destiny. It does acknowledge the areas in which we are helpless, and stresses the importance of a positive attitude in spite of negative circumstances.

The author draws heavily on his own life experiences as an athlete, father, and educator to deliver his message, and gives a personal touch to the a
Katie
Apr 02, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: build-your-life
My Dad gave this book to every member of our family one Christmas and I have been so touched by so many of it's truths. One of my favorite bathroom books! :)
Elizabeth
Jan 10, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Good book to start the year with. I enjoyed it, but felt overwhelmed at times by all the quotes. I felt like I should be writing most of them down and sticking them to my fridge or mirror.
Anna
Feb 03, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Really more of a common sense book than very inspirational. I thought it was meant to have more of a Christian/Biblical slant but it was very neutral. Good thoughts but nothing hugely mind blowing.
Kristin
Aug 21, 2015 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: for-class
Short, sweet, and positive. Nothing I haven't heard before, but not bad advice either.
Don Gubler
Aug 27, 2012 Don Gubler rated it it was ok
Shelves: improvement
Don't we already all know this?
Trever
Sep 17, 2016 Trever rated it liked it
Quick reminders, quick read. Not the most powerful, but is good.
La-la Charles
Sep 30, 2012 La-la Charles rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely insightful; it provided an opportunity for new perspective to be gained on conventional ideas. The lessons that can be learnt from this are numerous and extremely important to all the copious facets of life. From this book there are several lessons that I have observed and learned. They range from the all important lessons to those that are less noted. The lessons that I have learnt are as follows; I've learned what successful people do in some of the most important areas ...more
J. Renee
Aug 31, 2016 J. Renee added it
Shelves: my-books-read
I had to read this book for a community college class in 2010 that was supposed to be about "workplace attitudes, ethics, and responsibilities" and found it to be vomitous in the way that I find all books of this nature to be.

Amazing canned phrases such as:
"Remember attitude is a choice-the most important one you'll ever make"
"Self esteem is the reputation you have with yourself"
"Remember there's no substitute for hard work"

And finally: "What's easy is to ignore god and to reject all religion wi
Allison Fetch
May 21, 2014 Allison Fetch rated it it was amazing
What a great little book! My sister gave it to me for Christmas a year or so ago and it's sat on my bookshelf til I finally decided I should give it a try. While it doesn't have any new, earth shattering information, the author presents common truths in such a way that they are inspirational and motivating. I've found my behavior changing a bit already as some of his writing sticks in my head. A great read for absolutely anyone. I wish he would write a children's version so that I could share it ...more
Yosuke Hashimoto
Sep 26, 2012 Yosuke Hashimoto rated it it was amazing
- A fireside book
- 10/1= 60 minutes
- 7 word summary: mind, attitude, think, habit, training, difference
- Discussion Question:
1. Do you have any habit you want to change?
2. Do you think that you have an open mind to learn something new or try to understand it?
Yes, I have a habit to be change. I cannot get up early. If I could get up earlier, I could do more things than now. I tend to sleep too much. This is a habit I want to change... Yes, I think so. I always understand my ignorance and my possi
Christa Cordova
Sep 29, 2011 Christa Cordova rated it it was amazing
I love this book for it's simplicity, yet also for it's depth. The author's passion for "character" and everything that word entails shines through on every page and he includes practical advice for how to realize the 20 truths in life. I read this once immediately after graduating from college 8 years ago, but I feel that I have the maturity to appreciate it more now. Highly recommend to all 20/30-somethings, products of the 80s/90s "self-esteem" movement, who wonder if there's "something more" ...more
Shereena
Mar 23, 2013 Shereena rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I appreciate that it wasn't incredibly long or filled with pages and pages of elaboration on the same topic. It was the right length. I did find that some of the lessons Hal listed were lessons I already learned, but some were ones I am currently working toward, while others were ones I never fully considered before. The book was filled with a lot of quotes, but I found Hal's own words to be more inspiring overall. I think this is a good book for anyone to read.
Robert
Feb 26, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I had to read this book for a volunteer project working with middle school children, who were also requested to read the book. It was a very clear read, one that I wish I read earlier. It does not preach or placate - it is simply a series of experience that offer children (and adults) a choice on how to live. This was quick read that offered this older person some gentle reminders. In addition, if you have or are working with children, it offers some nice conversation about the various lessons.
Ciara
Mar 12, 2012 Ciara rated it it was amazing
I read this book in university as a required reading for one of my nursing courses. The professor had experienced much tragedy in her life, yet was such a strong , resilient and interesting woman. I'm not sure if it was just the right time in my life for me to read the book, but it really empowered me. I'm not one for self-help reads, but this was great. I've recommended it many times.
Emily Rakowsky
Jun 10, 2013 Emily Rakowsky rated it it was amazing
This is a great professional development/personal development book! I read it for my building communities course. It has some good reminders about how we can improve our lives, and how we should be teaching students to live their lives. It is a quick read, and could be one you read over and over again!
Marcus
Jun 28, 2010 Marcus rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this book. The 20 lessons that Mr. Urban outlines are highly relevant and important to everyone regardless of age. For young people it dispels many of the media and celebrity induced myths about success. For those in middle age it confirms much of what we have experienced and provides some ideas for meaningful reflection. I intend to review this book on a regular basis
Jay
Mar 01, 2009 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A great deal of the wisdom offered in this book is summarized in its table of contents. The book is organized ino twenty essays, each offering a lesson in its title and providing providing good thinking behind it in the essays. The book is simple to read and thought provoking. You can't ask more than that from nonfiction.
Leslie Ann
Mar 11, 2013 Leslie Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This is a must in every household for young and old..er. If I was to own only one self help book, it would be this. My fave chapter is 'Honesty is Still the Best Policy' and Hal Urban stresses this is the most important in his book. Love his quote "you'll never be truly successful unless everything you do is undergirded with honesty and integrity."
Shannon Murdoch-morris
Jul 12, 2016 Shannon Murdoch-morris rated it it was amazing
This was my second time reading this book. I took my time reading it and the lessons sank in and made sense to me. I have even seen a shift in my thinking during this time. My goals are starting to become accomplishments and I am experiencing success and looking differently at failures. Very good. Well written, easy to read and very important and pertinent information for getting through life.
Shaun
Dec 13, 2013 Shaun rated it really liked it
This book gives solid, good advice for life and how to use it to improve and be the person you want to be. A quick read, but much longer and difficult to implement in your life. I've got much to work on to improve. Enjoy this book!
Whitney
Aug 11, 2016 Whitney rated it did not like it
This was very low-level knowledge. I suppose it could be helpful for someone who had the misfortune of growing up in a family that wasn't giving them basic parental guidance, but this really isn't anything special.
Kelly
Sep 05, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who is in search of life lessons
Shelves: most-influential
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. I revisit these life lessons at least once a year. The ideas are simple yet idealistic. If we all lived by these "rules," the world would be a better place.
Jamie
Dec 15, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it
This is a book that everyone should read. Of course some of it is common sense. There was so many little nuggets of valuable information. I keep going back and re-reading some of my favorite sections.
Jodie
Nov 23, 2014 Jodie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jodie by: Cheryl
I really enjoyed this book. I always think that it's good to have a reminder to do all of the things that we know we should. I liked how Urban portrayed each item. He gave wonderful examples that were helpful. The only reason that I didn't give it 5 stars is because I felt 20 was too many.
Didier
Aug 15, 2016 Didier rated it really liked it
I like to read these types of books. Read many books by Maxwell and others. This one was the best for me. I enjoyed reading this book and plan on putting to use many of his ideas. Very good book. Plan to read others by Urban.
Maria Centanni
Jul 26, 2015 Maria Centanni rated it liked it
Great life lessons, but they were all so obvious! Urban also used many superlatives, so I don't think I really know what was the BEST or MOST important... they were all the something-est!!!
Taryn
Jun 22, 2011 Taryn rated it it was amazing
Simple yet wonderful. Great way to put things back in perspective and a great summer read to rejuvenate yourself. It's nothing we don't already know but it's nice to be reminded.
Patrick Mahone
Sep 06, 2014 Patrick Mahone rated it it was amazing
I have learned a lot from this book, this is actually the book that helped me become an avid reader.
  • What Do You Really Want for Your Children?
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Tough Times, Tough People: 101 Stories about Overcoming the Economic Crisis and Other Challenges
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Need of All Learners
  • Life's Missing Instruction Manual: The Guidebook You Should Have Been Given at Birth
  • The Janitor: How an Unexpected Friendship Transformed a CEO and His Company
  • I'd Rather Laugh: How to be Happy Even When Life Has Other Plans forYou
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • The Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Workbook: Exercises, Questions, and Self-Tests to Help You Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms, & Post-its
  • Count Your Blessings: The Healing Power of Gratitude And Love
  • Gender and Discourse
  • When Gifted Kids Don't Have All the Answers: How to Meet Their Social and Emotional Needs
  • The Science of Success: How to Attract Prosperity and Create Life Balance Through Proven Principles
  • Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had
  • The Right Words at the Right Time
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Living a Charmed Life: Your Guide to Turning the Ordinary into the Extraordinary
Hal Urban holds a Bachelor's and Master's degree in history, and a Doctorate in education from the University of San Francisco. He has also done post-graduate study in the psychology of peak performance at Stanford University.

For thirty-six years he was an award-winning teacher at San Carlos and Woodside High Schools and at his alma mater, the University of San Francisco.

Hal is the author of six b
More about Hal Urban...

“I happen to believe that the overwhelming majority of people in the world are law-abiding, loving, and caring. They just don’t get any publicity for it.” 0 likes
“Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is in the doing, not the getting—in the trying, not the triumph. WYNN DAVIS” 0 likes