Start by marking “The Vision” as Want to Read:
The Vision

The Vision

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  11,239 Ratings  ·  239 Reviews
With more than 200 million copies of his novels sold, Dean Koontz is an undisputed master. And in The Vision, he once again displays the talent that led the Chicago Sun-Times to call him brilliant--and the San Diego Union-Tribune to praise his always riveting writing and his wonderfully fiendish plots.
Published September 15th 1986 by Berkley Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Vision, please sign up.

Michael Prentice I suspected, but didn't guess it until Max got stabbed - that's when it clicked for me.

Mia Nauca
Jun 06, 2017 Mia Nauca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El primer libro que leo de este autor y me gustó muchísimo xq definitivamente sentí una vibra con los personajes a Los Warrens una pareja en la que la esposa es psíquica y el esposo su fiel ayudante.

La manera de escribir de esta autor es rápida, entretenida y te mantiene en suspenso durante todo el libro, lo recomiendo especialmente para las personas que dicen que King divaga mucho al escribir, este es directo al punto y también es un novelistas de terror y thriller psicológico, definitivamente
Bettie☯
Description: Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant, able to forsee murders that will happen in the near future, but unable to prevent them from taking place. And now she is up against a power that is stronger than her own, a power that is taking her over, a power that is trying to kill her before she can identify it...

Opening: 'GLOVES OF BLOOD.'
The woman raised her hands and stared at them, stared through them.
Her voice was soft but tense. 'Blood on his hands.' Her own hands were clean and pale.
Her husba
Rebecca McNutt
Apr 06, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, thriller, stalker
Every move you make, every breath you take, he'll be watching you...

Jesus christ this book was creepy! I have yet to read a book that has scared me, but The Vision was certainly eerie enough and disturbing enough to make me wonder about it days after finishing it. Koontz' work is well-written, full of vibrant characters and a gripping plot. Excellent book, I highly recommend it.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
"Gloves of Blood" - opening line of The Vision

A blue giraffe standing in the center of a giant custard pie - The Vision, Chapter 5

Bloody little footprints of a cat all across the light tan carpet. - The Vision, Chapter 17

"I wrote The Vision while living in Las Vegas, when I was young and stupid." - Dean Koontz, Afterword

There are a few good parts throughout the book, but the best payoff is in the ending. The Vision is worth reading as one of Dean's early novels, but not among his best - not by
Julie Powell
May 07, 2013 Julie Powell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always like stories by Dean Koontz and this was no exception. It was cleverly psychological and kept me guessing 'whodunit' although I did suspect the killer and I was right.

Well written, great characters, descriptions, suspense and plot.

Recommended read.
Fred
Apr 26, 2017 Fred rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, re-read
The plot is good, with 3 major characters: Mary Bergen, Max(husband) & Alan Turner (brother).
Mary(6) was a tortured child recovering in a hospital, had a nightmare of being tied & abused on the floor by a boy. Was he close to her?
Mary is haunted by him, throughout her life, seeing people he's attacked in her life & he vowed to kill her one day if she ever let out their secret. Being psychopathic, Mary works with Police Chief Harley Barnes, Max & Alan to track a murderer & ne
Uriah
Sep 05, 2009 Uriah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mary is a talented clairvoyant who's found her calling in helping police across the country solve cases despite having no leads. Aided and guided by her devoted husband and doting brother, she's led a seemingly simple life. Until her visions change, and a dark, preternatural force seems to enter her life. Where are these visions coming from? Will she be able to solve this new case and find her answers before it's too late for her and those she loves?

Far from one of Koontz's best works, this is s
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Mary Bergman is a clairvoyant. She helps in murder cases to help police catch a killer. There is a serial killer on the loose. Mary is getting visions on who he was going to kill next. Along with having to face the serial killer, Mary will also have to face her past. To what had happened to her twenty- four years ago.

I wasn't very much of a fan of this book either. I didn't like Koontz writing in this all that well. The heroine was way to dependent on her husband Max and acted like a spoiled bra
Mackenzie Petermeier
A book that I would recommend is The Vision by Dean Koontz. This book is a thriller that keeps your mind going. The Vision is suspenseful and also quite slow in spots and quite predictable, but for the reader who wants a thriller without too much gore this could be a perfect choice. Mary Bergen is the main character, which has a gifted clairvoyant. Her psychic ability and haunting visions to aide the police in solving both past and future crimes, but who must also deal with the stress of not hav ...more
Tiffany Bates
I think this could have been a 4 if I hadn't read such a fast paced novel right before this. Maybe. Going to this book after a fast pace book made it seem very slow at times and I was thinking 'get on with it'. I predicted who the killer was going to be really early on as well, but hoped all the way through that I was going to be wrong and that would make it great for fooling me. But alas it didn't unfortunately. The premise was interesting, and it would still make a good read for anyone looking ...more
Matias Talevi
Feb 21, 2017 Matias Talevi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Soy un demonio y un vampiro. Me gusta el sabor de la sangre"

¿Se puede ser tan sádico y despiadado a tan corta edad?

La visión es una novela negra que presenta elementos paranormales, psicológicos y abre las puertas al enigmático mundo de la clarividencia. La narración se centra en la vida de una pareja (Mary y Max), que dedican su tiempo a resolver casos de asesinatos mediante las visiones y habilidades psíquicas de Mary.
Pero, ¿qué pasa cuando el cazador se convierte en la presa? ¿Se puede e
Melissa Hatcher
Sep 23, 2016 Melissa Hatcher rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Worst Koontz book I've yet read.

I was having a bad day.
It is the worst Koontz book I've yet read, but it wasn't a waste of time.
Suzana Vuksanovic
Somewhat better than the previous book by Koontz that I had finished reading immediately before commencing this one (Voice Of The Night).
The story is about a psychic woman who has "visions" of soon-to-be committed murders and helps the police to catch the perpetrators. She can never prevent the murders in her visions, she can only hope to prevent future homicides by the same person.
She is at the apex of an uncomfortable triangle with her adored and charming brother on one side and her husband of
Martin Maher
Sep 17, 2009 Martin Maher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dean-koontz, thriller
`The Vision`is a story about a woman by the name of Mary Bergen who has clairvoyant abilities & uses those abilities to help police officers & detectives in their investigations. When we meet Mary at the start of this story, she`s tracking down a killer, & although she`s done this on many occasions in the past, this time something is different, something that triggers memories of her past, which she has buried since her childhood.

I bought this novel in a local bookshop because I had
Kaustubh
Jul 04, 2014 Kaustubh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was my 4th book by Dean Koontz. Earlier beings 'The Bad Place', 'Winter Moon' and 'Velocity'. A few readers mentioned here that it was a bit slow in spots, but i tend to disagree. In fact, i felt the plot was perfectly paced. I read 281 pages edition, of which 8-10 pages were left blank.
Anyways, the book did hold my interest throughut. I hadn't had many expectations from the book to begin with for his previous book that i read (winter moon ) was a bit letdown. That was slow, not this.
One of
Michelle
Jan 01, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Dean Koontz's books, they never fail to entertain and thrill and shock me. But The Vision, even though the plot is good and the imagery is incomparable, seriously disturbed me.

I don't think I would be able to read it again. And it's books like this that really make me wonder how Dean Koontz thinks of these things (the sick, twisted plots that make the novels so hard to put down).
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*
Pretty good book with a surprise twist at the end. I guessed it as a possibility just because it was unexpected but it was still a good storyline. Sometimes the protagonist got on my nerves and the couple banter bordered on realistic much of the time. Not the best, fairly mediocre, but still attention-grabbing and worth a read if you have it laying around.
Tara Chevrestt
Dec 13, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was one of Koontz's more disturbing. The woman is a psychic who has some issues with her mentally sick brother. Some of the sexual scenes were a bit distasteful, causing the four star rating despite the adrenaline pumping excitement and horror. A quick read too.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Christine (KizzieReads)
The story was fast paced. I guessed who the killer was pretty early on, but I never guessed the extent of the story. It was pretty good, but I think the characters could have been a little better developed. Not as scary as expected either, but overall, a good book.
Javed Hayat
Jul 12, 2011 Javed Hayat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Only If you Enjoy Literary Insults Like Twilight etc...
Without wanting to sound too harsh, Dean Koontz, along with John Saul and couple of others, is one of the worst possible writers I have ever read. Koontz is a classic case of 'right ideas in (extremely) wrong hands'!!!
Denis
Oct 20, 2015 Denis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-not-own
In short, this book is not very good. Bad actually. Yet, unfortunate, because Koontz was, even back in 1977, a capable writer.
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 Bandit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of his first and nastiest works. If you're only familiar with his later work from the recent decade or so, this book will be a shocker.
Jenny
Dec 09, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was probably too young to read this when i did considering what the out come was. I think i was 12 or 13...first book i read from koontz
Anne Marie
Mary Bergen is a clairvoyant who has been helping the police find murderers. There is a murderer on the loose, and Mary keeps seeing images of women being killed, but she can't see who the murderer is. Being a clairvoyant isn't the best thing to be, and Mary talks to a psychiatrist about her life, and tries to remember a terrible thing that happened in her past, but can't. She was apparently raped by a gardener who lived on her property when she was six years old, but can't understand why she ke ...more
Claire
Jan 27, 2017 Claire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
That afterword was the best part of the book
Chris
Mar 14, 2017 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! Loved the suspense in it. Not sure if I read this many years ago........ thought I'd read almost all of Dean Koontz' works to date..... with the exception of the Odd series....... which I was done with after the 3rd one! This MUST be an older book, because it wasn't written with a thesaurus, like the last one of his books I read! I still have Ashley Bell to read and keep putting it off because I am dreading it!
Luís Bermer
Mi reseña completa de "La visión" aquí.
Nikki
Mar 15, 2017 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I should know better than to think I can outsmart my favorite author. Just about the time I think I have the angle figured out, the story is pulled into a completely different vein than I'd have anticipated. But, that is as any good mystery and suspense should be. There is always a touch of the supernatural and fantastic in a Koontz book and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Edward Lorn
Apr 12, 2016 Edward Lorn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of jazz and sleep
Shelves: paperbacks
Koontz-Alert Checklist (Every Dean Koontz book has at least one of the following ten things.)

1. Blond lead/love interest - Nope
2. Dog(s) - Nope (Unless you count the figurines)
3. Government conspiracy - Nope
4. Aliens - Nope
5. Serial Killer - Yup
6. Bougainvillea plant - Yup
7. Sodium-vapor streetlight - Yup
8. Precocious child - Nope
9. Town gone crazy - Nope
10. Psychic(s) - Yup

So four out of ten. Not bad, not bad. And that's my overall judgment of this book. "Not bad." Of course this one gets two p
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Texas by the Tail
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • The Presence

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...