Start by marking “The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind” as Want to Read:
The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind

The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  140 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
If You Understand Brain Basics, You'll Sell More As much as 95% of our decisions are made by the subconscious mind. As a result, the world's largest and most sophisticated companies are applying the latest advances in neuroscience to create brands, products, package designs, marketing campaigns, store environments, and much more, that are designed to appeal directly and po ...more
Published July 16th 2010 by Wiley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Buying Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buying Brain

Matt
Aug 10, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-science
I'm really not sure how to parse this book.

If Pradeep is right, then he's working in an interesting field at the intersection of traditional marketing and neuroscience, aptly named "neuromarketing". The idea is that by measuring brain activity during decision-making, say deciding to buy a car or a new product on the shelf, we can establish with some certainty what advertising and marketing methods are most effective.

The problem I had with this book is the same problem I share with the larger sw
Nick
Aug 13, 2010 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw Dr. Pradeep speak at SXSW and he was the smartest speaker I heard. His insights into how the brain processes buying impulses, advertising, and so on, were fascinating and original -- and consistent with my research into communications and the brain. So I was thrilled to read his book now that it has come out, and I am pleased to say that it is excellent, insightful, and a very pleasant read. We process something like 11 million bits of information every second. Every second. 40 of those bi ...more
Troy Clark
Dec 03, 2014 Troy Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing-sales
There's really good information in here, at the same time the author's infatuation with the 'theory' of evolution (presupposing that evolution is fact) discredits this otherwise fine work.
Caroline
This book has an interesting concept, but it goes about it in the wrong way. Neuromarketing certainly has some interesting implications for the field of marketing; however, it is not the 'be all and end all' that the author tries to make you believe. The majority of the book is basically an advertisement for his research company. Although he teases some interesting points and findings, overall I was not sold.
Sandra Strange
I didn't like this book because it's so very self promoting. It's actually a manual, based on brain research and this author's commercial enterprise, that helps any retailer or politician sell his product using subconscious appeals. The book is so very calculating and cold that I really didn't like the tone, though the basic concepts are presented clearly and seem factual.
Colleen
This was an incredibly fascinating read. There is so much to take in. Dr. Pradeep makes you think about things in very different ways than you're used to and after a while, you can't help but see neuromarketing all around you. Not only did it change the way that I think about some of my work but it changed the way that I think about my own buying behaviours.
Omar
Aug 09, 2012 Omar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First part of the book ( dealing with the brain structure and functionality from a neuromarketing perspective) is a real masterpiece with lots of solid deep insights. The second part though is a pure marketing of the authors patented research and the services they provide in his company. Didn't regret it though.
Stan Bartkus
Aug 02, 2015 Stan Bartkus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I'm on pg 155, just finished a chapter (13) focused on how to prevent a product change disaster similar to "New Coke".

That puts me at chapter 14 of 18 and still discussing a chapter-a-week.
Danny Barbery
Nov 30, 2012 Danny Barbery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que explica detalladamente la forma de cómo las personas perciben su entorno a través de los sentidos y cómo éstos se ven influenciados para la compra de productos. ALTAMENTE RECOMENDADO!
Anne
Jun 12, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: influence
Worth the read, great for knowledge of good in-store experiences
Mary  Samson
Jun 07, 2012 Mary Samson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the best sales books I've ever read
Wilson Silva
Wilson Silva marked it as to-read
Danielle Andrzejewski
Danielle Andrzejewski marked it as to-read
Artem
Artem marked it as to-read
Lorisha
Lorisha marked it as to-read
José Fernandes
José Fernandes rated it liked it
Rod Gillies
Rod Gillies rated it really liked it
Daniel Xu
Daniel Xu marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Michael Whitman
Michael Whitman marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
Steinar Hølland
Steinar Hølland marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Su Oo
Su Oo marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Bellringer
Bellringer marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
AJ Jappar
AJ Jappar marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
sandeep kumar
sandeep kumar marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jason Espinoza
Jason Espinoza marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Retailp
Retailp marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
  • Neuromarketing: Understanding the Buy Buttons in Your Customer's Brain
  • The Branded Mind: What Neuroscience Really Tells Us about the Puzzle of the Brain and the Brand
  • Brainfluence: 100 Ways to Persuade and Convince Consumers with Neuromarketing
  • The Psychology of Attitude Change and Social Influence
  • Beyond Culture
  • Out of Character: Surprising Truths About the Liar, Cheat, Sinner (and Saint) Lurking in All of Us
  • The Person and the Situation: Perspectives of Social Psychology
  • Numbers Rule Your World: The Hidden Influence of Probabilities and Statistics on Everything You Do
  • Fascinate: Unlocking the Secret Triggers of Influence, Persuasion, and Captivation
  • Priceless: The Myth of Fair Value (and How to Take Advantage of It)
  • Mindfulness
  • Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions
  • Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • The Optimism Bias: A Tour of the Irrationally Positive Brain
  • Words that Sell
  • Brandwashed
  • Situations Matter: Understanding How Context Transforms Your World
Dr. Pradeep founded NeuroFocus in 2005. Now the company ranks as the world leader in the fast-growing neuromarketing research field, with numerous patents for its advanced technologies and a blue-chip client list representing Fortune 100 companies in dozens of categories.

The Advertising Research Foundation honored him with the 2009 Great Minds Award Grand Prize, which recognizes an individual who
More about A.K. Pradeep...