Start by marking “Tawny Scrawny Lion” as Want to Read:
Tawny Scrawny Lion

Tawny Scrawny Lion

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,536 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Once there was a tawny scrawny lion who chased monkeys on Monday-kangaroos on Tuesday-zebras on Wednesday-bears on Thursday-camels on Friday-and on Saturday, elephants!

So begins the funny, classic Golden story of a family of ten fat rabbits that teaches the hungry lion to eat carrot stew-so that he doesn't eat them!
Published October 1st 2010 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Tawny Scrawny Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tawny Scrawny Lion

Michael
May 12, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book in a toybox at the barber shop today. I'm sure I've read this numerous times to Karen. I couldn't resist the temptation to read it again. I did get some looks. It was worth it.
Connie
Jan 03, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, like many stories of that era featuring "wild animals", the geography is complete nonsense. Lions coexist with bears and kangaroos. Yes, this is annoying. How annoying probably has a direct relationship to whether or not your beloved Mama read you this book when you were little :) And, like many stories of that era, the biology is also a bit skewed - Lions who eat carrot and fish stew will not be happy and plump, they will be even scrawnier because lions are obligate carnivores. Eating meat ...more
April
Promotes pescetarianism & shopping locally.

Also rabbits.
Swankivy
Jun 11, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was kinda disturbing to me as a kid because I have always hated stories in which animals or inanimate objects depicted as thinking and feeling like people attempt to eat each other or try to avoid getting eaten. To this day I'm disturbed by M&M's commercials and Chik-fil-A ads in which the talking creatures reason with you to make you less inclined to eat them, and I'm disturbed by talking cereal ads and food packaging that says "Eat me!" or "I'm delicious!" So a whole book in whic ...more
Nathaniel Hardman
Jan 24, 2013 Nathaniel Hardman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a page in this book where the lion has been filled with stew, and he's bummed because he's so full he can't eat all the bunnies. So he asks if he can stick around for a while, and the bunnies all hop up on his belly. The picture that goes with this scene - the look on the lion's face - it's perfection. I had the pleasure of reading this to my three-year-old daughter recently, and she enjoyed it almost as much as I did, though she didn't understand that the lion wanted to eat the bunnies ...more
Julie Decker
In this kids' book, the lion chases rabbits trying to eat them until they convince him it would be better to eat carrot stew.

I've never been a fan of books that depict animals as desperate to avoid getting eaten. It disturbs the heck out of me, and reading an entire kids' book about a lion trying to make a meal out of characters depicted as having personalities was quite upsetting. Especially since I knew that no real lions are switching to vegetarian diets because their prey provided an alterna
Sheila
Sep 23, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
What do I like best about this book? The fact that when I had my daughter, my cousin sent me a box of "hand me down clothes" and included in the box were a couple childrens books, old childrens books, and old childrens books that I had written my name in. This is one of the books. My name is written on the inside cover in childish print. This book was mine. I read it when I was probably 5 or 6 years old. That is why I like this book.
E. Writes
Apr 28, 2014 E. Writes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tawny Scrawny Lion is a classic, hilarious, and heartwarming tale of imaginative telling, and the lesson within is as applicable today as it ever was. I remember my parents reading this to us kids before I could read myself, and I still find myself saying "five fat sisters and four fat brothers" to myself whenever I need reminding that my goal lies beyond some obstacle in my way.
That's a lesson for life!!
Pam
Jul 30, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tawny Scrawny Lion was a highlight of my childhood. It is a book I loved so much that I have copies of it put up for hopefully future family members some day. It is a great book to read to children and teach them about working within their spectrum of the environment they reside in. The Lion had to slowly come around to eating lots of healthy things to become healthy not just in body but mind.
Harini Srinivasan
There's a Tamil saying which, loosely translated, says: Will a tiger eat grass even if it's hungry? The traditional answer is of course supposed to be a resounding 'No'. This book, meant to read out to and enjoy with the kids in your life, tells what happens when a tawny scrawny eternally hungry lion meets a family of fat, happy rabbits and is invited to share their carrot stew. Rollicking fun!
Marcella Lowry
Sep 05, 2013 Marcella Lowry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of the best books of all time. Its sweet simpleness catches the reader's attention, starting with the sad condition of the lion, followed by the accepting nature of the rabbit. I found it taught Christlike principles, such as loving others, the Golden Rule, among others. I read this to all my children, & hope you enjoy reading this to yours.
Kat
Jun 23, 2008 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This was always one of my favorite books when I was very small. There was just something about a lion eating carrot stew that struck me as really funny. It's definitely a classic, and I still love the illustrations as an adult, though the lion looks a bit possessed at times. *shrug*
Rachel
Nov 09, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those rare children's books that quietly teaches kids something but is a STORY. It's a fun tale about a lion who was never satisfied, who befriended rabbits who fed him stew and gave him companionship. It's funny, the pictures are great and kids love this book.
Dylan
Sep 24, 2009 Dylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for kids. I still have my copy over 20 years later and when a friend has a baby I'll order up a copy. It's great for a laugh and gives a different spin on the story of the king of the jungle.
Claire S
Great story, mini-example where two actors who seem to be in a zero-sum game are able to change their paradigm into a win-win. Also, is warm and sweet and the pictures and lovely and it's completely wonderful!
Sri
** spoiler alert **
Ada seekor singa yang selalu kelaparan. Dia sampai punya jadwal harian untuk memangsa satu jenis hewan di tiap harinya. Hewan-hewan buruan menjadi gelisah. Mereka meminta tolong kepada kelinci untuk ngobrol dengan singa, bagaimana caranya agar mereka hidup damai.
Singa itu tentu saja senang sewaktu diundang kelinci untuk datang ke rumahnya untuk makan semur wortel. Bukan untuk makan semur wortel tapi untuk menyantap kelinci gendut dan sodara-sodaranya. Nyatanya di rumah mereka,
Josh
Aug 19, 2014 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my favorite of the Little Golden Books, because the art work is hilarious.
H.L. Stephens
Sep 04, 2014 H.L. Stephens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite from the Golden Books collection.
Margaret
Dec 31, 2014 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Food is a great way to make friends.
Marya
Apr 25, 2015 Marya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Awww. This was written back in the good old days, when the lions were ravenous, the rabbits were simpletons, and the big animals were devious (and, it seems, the fish were delicious!). You could even argue that there is a multicultural cast of characters. Where on Earth would you ever find a Lion, a Kangaroo, a Camel, a Bear AND an Elephant all living in the same forest?
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any child.
This is a funny story that teaches rather erroneous information about carnivores and their dietary requirements. I think a vegetarian family would enjoy this! Just don't go making your own cat into a vegan...it's only a story, folks.
Ruskanen
A story about eating healthy and well with good friends, which in turn makes you fat as butter, sleek as satin, and jolly as all get out.
Savina
Sep 17, 2015 Savina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favs-as-a-kid
I remember reading this book many time as a child with my mother. It was one of our favorites and was read almost every night.
Emerson
May 12, 2012 Emerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
We have the book with audio CD. The story teller's voice and animal sounds are great. I'd never heard this story. It starts off very disturbingly, about the lion eating all the other animals. Then the other animals trick the fat little rabbit into talking with the lion. The rabbit is smart though and convinces the lion not to eat him by telling him that he can come to his house where there are many other fat rabbits. So they go and then they convert the Tawny Scrawny Lion into a vegetarian with ...more
Karen
Nov 13, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very sensitive as a child. The idea of one animal eating another animal bothered me. So, as a consequence, despite the fantastic artwork, I did not really like this book.

Fast-forward thirty or so years and I'm working as a children's librarian. For some reason, our department decided to turn this book into a puppet show. I'm working on the "screenplay" for the puppet show, and I suddenly realize how funny this book actually is.

My newly-five-year-old son has a very strong and and strange
Lindsey
Mar 06, 2013 Lindsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, kid1
The classic story about a hungry lion who won't stop eating the other jungle animals and the clever rabbit who tricks him into filling his belly with stew.

It's a pretty standard kids' story: problem, cute animals, simple solution. But I can't help but wonder if there's an implied moral; specifically, that eating vegetarian is better (which is great for some but not for others). (Another might be that doing something is better than sitting around in fear.) I'd love to know more about the history
Bill Cather
Jun 16, 2015 Bill Cather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All three of our kids loved this book.
Winslow
Jan 25, 2010 Winslow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
You especially like the page where the bunny rabbits are sitting on the lion's lap singing, particularly because B. always sings the carrot stew song that he learned from an old 45rpm record that was folded into the back of his copy of the book when he was a child: "Carrot stew, carrot stew, it's our favorite thing to do. Get a pot and a carrot or two, and cook up some carrot stew."
Gary Masskin
Whilst I thought the story and some of the language was quite dated, my little girl often requests another read. And whilst I usually prefer the protagonist (the little bunny in this case) to solve their own problem in a more deliberate fashion, the good karma he's built up offers an acceptable substitute.
Josiah
Apr 25, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would likely grant this book one and a half stars.
The humor is amusing, especially the way that the Tawny Scrawny Lion blames the animals for his skinniness because they run away from him when he tries to eat them! The way the narrative resolves itself is both warm and somewhat unexpected.
  • Scuffy the Tugboat (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Shy Little Kitten (Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Bunny Book, Richard Scarry's (a Little Golden Book)
  • My Big Little Golden Book About God (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • Prayers for Children
  • The Jolly Barnyard
  • Best Little Word Book Ever
  • Three Little Kittens
  • My First Counting Book
  • Santa's Toy Shop (a Big Little Golden Book)
  • The Gingerbread Man