Start by marking “Henry VIII: Wolfman” as Want to Read:
Henry VIII: Wolfman

Henry VIII: Wolfman

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Henry the Eighth was the bloodiest king ever to have sat on the throne of England. This fast-paced, exciting, inventive, and just plain bloody retelling of his reign will bring to light the real man behind the myth.

Be dragged back kicking and screaming five hundred years into Tudor England . . .

Past praise for A. E. Moorat:

Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter is vast fun. It’s a
Published August 15th 2011 by Pegasus (first published July 8th 2010)

Eric Orchard
Feb 19, 2011 Eric Orchard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A fun, outrageous tale of an alternate 16th Century England where royalty and the Vatican negotiate treaties with demonkind and all sorts of nasty creatures scheme and lurk in the shadows. I think there a lot of great things about this book, though I think you will be disappointed if you're expecting some sort of enlightenment about the Tudors or that part of history, the monsters seem to be the point.

I think the thing that drags the book down a bit is the bad jokes, black humour that, for me,
Misfit
Aug 17, 2012 Misfit marked it as will-never-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monster-mash
Just spotted this up at Net Galley. I am passing...
Tina Rath
Jun 16, 2012 Tina Rath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title pretty well says it all. As does the back cover: "Wolf Hall, with bite." I enjoyed Moorat's Queen Victoria, Demon Hunter, I loved Henry VIII: Wolfman (as my husband said, on glimpsing the cover "Well, that would explain a lot.") It is very clever and very funny. In Moorat's vision of Tudor England demons are real and dangerous, but they have signed a treaty - at the Field of the Cloth of Gold - with humanity. This is disturbed by the ambition of the wolfen, Arcadians, the lowest rank o ...more
Kate
I read this ARC via Netgalley.

When Henry VIII's first son by his wife Katherine is eaten by young werewolves and Henry himself is attacked, he begins to undergo some changes. While England battles against the Protektorate, headed by the werewolf Malchek, Henry battles his sudden lust for red meat. And when he meets the Lady Anne Boleyn, it's werewolf love at first sight. Cardinal Wolsey is determined to find a cure, while Thomas More is imprisoned under false conception that he is also a werewol
Guy
Yet another mash-up of history/literature and demons. This one was written so quickly it has a lot of little errors of history and a fair number of typos, but it must be said that it moves along fast and is perfect for airplanes or trains or the beach. I found the gore and bodies being torn apart a bit much, but we're dealing with werewolves, after all. The characterizations of familiar historical figures are always witty and in some cases really clever: Cardinal Wolsey and Thomas More make very ...more
Alisha Hall
Jul 16, 2013 Alisha Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, call me crazy but I really, really, really enjoyed reading this book. I thought the mixture of fact and fiction was brilliant. I was intrigued by the far-fetched idea of the King being a savage wolfman, killing at night and ruling during the day. It was fantastic. I have read some of the other reviews and they were not so good.
Mr. Moorat,
I loved this book.
Priscilla
After England's King Henry VIII is bitten while attempting to save his newborn son from a werewolf attack, he starts to have vivid dreams of being a wolf. Never particularly good at controlling his impulses, the king immediately embarks upon a double life of eating the peasantry, which he finds unfortunately fattening. Anne Boleyn turns into a gloriously happy werewolf even more ravenous than her new husband; Sir Thomas Moore is unjustly accused of lycanthropy; a pair of dangerously incompetent ...more
Alexandra Barnett
I only really decided to read this for a break between more 'serious' novels (and I got it on Amazon for like 1p, bargain!).You know what? Shockingly, this isn't that bad. It's actually quite fun and somewhat clever in ways. Indeed it is imaginative, one of those 'twisted classics' like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies that took us by storm around 2009 and onwards.

There is definitely more of a story to it than I first thought there would be, including the deeds of a rather sadistic Witchfinder G
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Reviewed for Wickedly Bookish Reviews

Henry VIII is at the height of his reign and he's hungry like the wolf...

King Henry VIII is infamous for his ability to go through wives like dirty underwear with his fickle attentions and desire for a male heir. This book tells a tale untold until now.Henry's Europe is characterized as a land balancing precariously between human and demon kind. The Vatican acknowledges the existence of demons and even promotes the
Libby
This could have been a better book and I would like to have read it. As it is, I'll have to give it points for ingenuity, but deduct some stars for its flaws. A simplified summary might run thus:Henry the carefree lover of wine, women and song, leaves the real work of ruling his realm to Cardinal Wolsey, who weaseled his wiles into a treaty between France, the Papacy, England and the Demons at the Field of the Cloth of Gold. (Minus the demons,this is very close to what happened in the real world ...more
LadyCroft86
A somewhat entertaining alternate history where King Henry VIII is a werewolf. Nothing super special, the writing was alright and the plot was alright. I didn't really like all the dark humor that was in the story, it took away from the actual story. Another thing that threw me was the history takes place over a very short period of time, so it was hard to keep track of when things were happening. Overall, 3 out of 5 stars, an imaginative take but was ultimately only a mediocre book.
Tiffany K.
May 02, 2015 Tiffany K. rated it really liked it
I honestly think this book deserves so much more credit than its been given. From the first few pages I was already hooked and pulled into the story. Not sure if gore is really my thing but in this book, I was literally on the edge of my seat at some parts and I loved how each and every character was written. This book is funny and candid at times which I really liked against the "darker" themes of the story and it was well written. I really liked this one.
Redfox5
My faith in mash ups had already been restored after reading 'I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas'. Was this book going to disappoint or make me laugh? It was the latter :) This book is silly. Really silly. But thats all part of it's charm. The only Tudors book where I've liked Wolsey, mainly becuase of the colourful language A.E Moorat had him use. I also liked Jane Seymour, she was made out to be a cute little blonde pixie (she wouldn't like me saying that!) who kicked some wolf arse. A ...more
Celeste
This was an enjoyable read. I've read quite a bit about Henry VIII in the past and am fascinated by his wives. Obviously the author takes some huge liberties with the history (besides the werewolf stuff), and he admits that much in the historical note at the end. However, those liberties helped speed the story along and keep me interested. If you enjoy mash-ups, give this a try. They're not my favorite thing, so my three star rating is only because it's not my type of story. I could easily under ...more
Eloise
Feb 07, 2016 Eloise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, alt-history
Hammer Horror Tudors. Not quite as much fun as the premise would suggest. Malcolm Tucker-esqe Wolsey was a nice touch.
Thalia
Feb 12, 2011 Thalia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor
Apparently my funny bone is broken...or this book is absolute rubbish. Any self respecting Tudorphile will cringe from start to finish reading this. Perhaps fans of paranormal would have a better go of it. I think if the author could have somewhat represented the timeframe he set out to capture with ANY sort of compitance it might have upped the rating...might....maybe not, I don't think anything could save this. It was ridiculous, un-funny and boring...did I mention ridiculous?
Danielle
Nov 20, 2011 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-books
I have seen these books out for awhile and i finally decided to read one. Basically it is the story of Henry the 8th but with mythical creatures. The author did a superb job of weaving the mythical creatures into Henry's well known life. The only thing i didn't like was the language. I didn't mind the gory scenes, and i normally don't mind swearing in books but the way it was put in this book made it seem like the author was trying too hard. Otherwise, it was a great book.
Noeleen
This was a very graphic tale and when I mean graphic it was stomach churning. I love these supernatural takes on a classic but this was probably one of the weakest I have read. I liked the take on Anne Boleyn and why her relationship with Henry began but felt there was a big gap as there was no explanation of what happened to Katherine. Too many unanswered questions.Not as clever as Queen Victoria Demon Hunter.
Kizz Robinson
Perfectly entertaining but not exactly gripping.
Redsteve
Cute. Colossally cheesy. An imaginative conceit (might actually qualify as "secret history" rather than "alternate history". History not as horrible as I expected from the first few pages, but god knows, not great. Modern language throughout the book put in for humor rather annoying - for a really good example of anachronistic language done well for comedic effect, read Fraser's The Pyrates.
Greg
May 04, 2012 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A fun mash-up read. It might help to understand the characters better if you are familiar with the story of the Tudors (which I was not) but not necessary. There was not so much detail as to lull the reader into a historical slumber and there was plenty of action. Though I enjoyed this book Queen Elizabeth: Demon Hunter, in my opinion, was better.
Mar 03, 2016 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Got just a couple of chapters in and was done. This book reminded me of everything I dislike about adult fiction: unnecessary language, violence, insistence on graphic sexuality. Complete rubbish. The story could have had potential, but the author chose to drag it through the gutter instead. Ugh. If this is what passes for print worthy, please let books die.
Nerine Dorman
This book loses focus very early on due to its over-large cast of characters and omniscient third person point of view. Gore-splattered pages offer readers a black, humorous alternative history. My overall feeling is that this is the kind of novel you'll take on holiday with you or give to your teen brother for a birthday present.
Charity
Nov 16, 2012 Charity rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm up for anything, so I thought I'd give this a read. I quit a chapter in a half in, after reading the grisly details of Henry dismembering and eating animals and then gruesomely chomping down on his wife and skimming other portions of the book. Disgusting. Unless you like wanton descriptions of gore, stay away.
ZaBeth  Marsh
As I was reading this at 2am last night I just decided suddenly that this is too bloody for me to read. I just wasn't enjoying the torture and violence and I have the power to put the book down. Maybe I'll finish it someday. But not now. Fast reading though.
Katie McGuire
Apr 28, 2015 Katie McGuire rated it liked it
Fun and often clever, though obviously far from high literature. In the places where the pace, humor, action, and gore were up, it was a great read.
Nick
Dec 14, 2011 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, clever, funny.
Narrator shifts too much, occasionally being a very unimportant character who disappears after one scene. Why are minor characters sometimes narrators when a few major ones aren't? But still, fun.
Elizabeth Moffat
I thought I would enjoy this book much more than I did I'm afraid. It was funny in points and just the right amount of "gruesome" but I found myself getting bored and just waiting for the end.
Annabelle
Suspension of disbelief...drum roll please: royalty + monsters = parallel retelling of history. Three of my all-time favorite genres. What's not to like?
Jay
Quite enjoyable. Certainly not the best written book in the world, but if you look beyond it's issues, it's quite a fun read. :)
  • Emma and the Werewolves: Jane Austen's Classic Novel with Blood-Curdling Lycanthropy
  • Boleyn Tudor Vampire
  • Robin Hood & Friar Tuck: Zombie Killers
  • Grave Expectations
  • Emma and the Vampires
  • Mansfield Park and Mummies: Monster Mayhem, Matrimony, Ancient Curses, True Love, and Other Dire Delights
  • Jane and the Damned (Immortal Jane Austen, #1)
  • The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer
  • The Undead World of Oz: L. Frank Baum's the Wonderful Wizard of Oz Complete with Zombies and Monsters
  • Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim
  • Little Women and Werewolves
  • Shakespeare Undead (Shakespeare Undead, #1)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead
  • Vampire Darcy's Desire: A Pride and Prejudice Adaptation
  • Romeo & Juliet & Vampires
  • I am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas
  • The Eerie Adventures of the Lycanthrope Robinson Crusoe
  • Little Vampire Women
A. E. Moorat is the pseudonym of author Andrew Holmes whose first novel, Sleb , was shortlisted for the 2002 WHSmith New Talent Award in the UK. His other novels are All Fur Coat, 64 Clarke, and Rain Dogs and Love Cats, all of them dark, funny thrillers which were critically well received in the UK, earning him comparisons with Martin Amis and Elmore Leonard, among others. His nonfiction work has ...more
More about A.E. Moorat...