Start by marking “Between You and Me: A Memoir with 82-Minute DVD” as Want to Read:

Between You and Me: A Memoir with 82-Minute DVD
Published October 25th 2005 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Between You and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between You and Me

Nancy
Jan 20, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
I thought this was a very interesting book. It gave some interesting insite into some of the people he interviewed over his long career. I only wish he had told more.
Jenna Fisher
Feb 03, 2016 Jenna Fisher rated it liked it
Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes fame was born in 1918. This is his memoir written in 2005, seven years before he passed away. And he was still going strong.

"Between You and Me" gave me an inside look on how many of his interviews came to be, some of his regrets as a journalist and a glimpse of the way he thought of himself as a journalist. At times he comes across arrogant, at times earnest. "Fair - but tough," is how he hoped to be remembered. And that seems to be the theme of the anecdotes he inclu
Ice
Jun 21, 2010 Ice added it
In this tepid memoir, the 60 Minutes grand inquisitor appears rather manipulative, turning on a dime from unctuous insinuation to prosecutorial grilling, always searching for the point of emotional revelation when his subject weeps, rants or flounders in self-incriminating panic. Wallace includes many transcripts of such moments from his 50-year interviewing career, but with a few exceptions—a breakdown by JFK bodyguard Clint Hill, Norman Mailer calling Eisenhower a "bit of a woman"—they feel fl ...more
Brian
Nov 09, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
I thought this book was simultaneously entertaining (for the most part) for the reader and self-serving for Mr. Wallace. It's ok that it was self-serving, because he's earned the right to have his say. However, on occasion I just felt he was a little bit too full of himself. His interview with Barbara Streisand, which he discusses in his book, almost out-raged me. His intent was likely to stir strong feelings in Ms. Streisand and in the people watching the interview, but I felt he crossed a line ...more
Steve
Jan 07, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars. Grew up with Mike Wallace and always glad he was there reporting the news, interviewing those in the news and sometimes helping improve our lives with his controversial investigative style. It covers everything from Eleanor Roosevelt through civil rights, Vietnam, Watergate, Middle East and many celebrities up to the mid 1990's. Includes both his thoughts about being Jewish and his bout with depression. The chapters on Wiggand and tobacco or Westmoreland and Vietnam show how journal ...more
Georgia Roybal
This was a delightful book giving inside views of many of the people who were the most important leaders during my lifetime. I always loved 60 Minutes so I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes action. I also found Mike Wallace to be fair and professional which was really reinforced in this book.

I also appreciated, as a Jewish person who truly wants to see peace in the Middle East with a two-state solution, that he feels the pro-Israel lobby to be extremely one-sided and to have the ear of too many poli
David
Oct 26, 2009 David rated it liked it
Mike Wallace was doing broadcast interviews when I was born, so his recollections were of nostalgic interest and historic significance. This was a book-on-CD and included interview excerpts with Eleanor Roosevelt, JFK’s body guard, Martin Luther King, Jr., LBJ, Malcolm X, Menachem Begin, Anwar Sadat, the Shah of Iran, Frank Lloyd Wright, and other deceased giants of previous generations. I’d like to have heard the full interview on several of these guests and others he didn’t mention, like Ayn R ...more
Don
Dec 21, 2013 Don rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is a short book--most of which covers events we've seen in 60 Minutes anthologies through the years. There's some insightful stuff--like Mike went to college with Arthur Miller, knew Nancy's Regan's mother (and little Nancy) very well, and that's he's not a hack despite what "The Insider" makes us believe. The best remembrance is what spawned the title, where Mike asks the tax cheat to tell him "just between you and me", and the TV audience. Colbert couldn't have pulled that off any better.
Kelly
Oct 19, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
I listened to the audio version of the this book, which included actual broadcasting sound clips from some of the interviews Mike Wallace had over the course of 60 years in broadcasting journalism. He interviewed a guilt-laden secret service agent when Kennedy was shot, a member of the mafia, President Nixon and Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt, Tina Turner, Malcolm X and leaders of other countries. The book was a memoir of his life in journalism and not so much about his personal life outside of the w ...more
Linda C
Oct 31, 2012 Linda C rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Mike Wallace was 88 when he wrote this book. It is mostly insights into interviews he had done over 50 years in television. There is some referral to the rest of his life but not in depth. He compares earlier interviews with some people with more recent ones, he covers some controversial ones and some personal favorites. The man loved his work and wanted to do nothing else. I learned some interesting things about events that I knew little about. The book includes an 82 minute DVD of interviews.
Chris
Apr 12, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version on a trip, and enjoyed all the various interviews Mike Wallace has done with all the high profile men and women of the time. Some of the interviews use the actual footage of the people involved, which was very interesting, like Frank Lloyd Wright, and Eleanor Roosevelt. There was also a DVD that showed clips of these interviews. This was an abridged version, but it didn't feel like it.
Janet
Jul 19, 2010 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: non-ficton
The book was very enjoyable. Like another commentator - I wish that he had opened up more. He kept promising to "get into a subject later" but later never came. I was especially interested in learning about his struggle with clinical depression. He dangled the topic over your head like a carrot throughout the book but never really addressed the issue. At the conclusion the book, I skimmed back over the text to see if I had missed a chapter. I was disappointed but still enjoyed the book.
Brisbride13
Mar 03, 2013 Brisbride13 rated it liked it
when I was enjoying reading this book I was totally enjoying it, when I wasn't, well you get it. I was hoping for more information about him, not a recap of his choice of interviews. I will say that in his writing about the interviews he was sharing, I learned some things about Wallace; he comes across as a very liberal man and for some reason that surprised me. He stays true to himself throughout this book; I could hear his voice in my head while reading.
RYCJ
Feb 24, 2013 RYCJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-keepers
Wonderful memoir. Genuine, humorous, and touching (especially the first five chapters). The final chapters really showed Mike's sensitive side. I think Streisand had a point, which surprised me that her point touched him the way it did. I guess I had to be there. Overall, this is a remarkable memoir.
George Matysek
Feb 14, 2014 George Matysek rated it liked it
This memoir doesn't really provide much information that fans of 60 Minutes or Mike Wallace didn't already know, but it reminded readers of some of the great (and not-so-great) interviews Wallace has done over his long career. The DVD is a nice bonus feature, providing clips from some of Wallace's interviews.

Raegan
Aug 05, 2008 Raegan rated it really liked it
I actually read this ages ago, but I just recently pulled it back out and started reading it again. I'm kind of a nerd for journalists and love reading their stories. Mike Wallace has been around a long time and has some great stories to tell. He talks about celebrities that he interviewed and talks about his time in the Middle East. Its a great read and even informative!
Nancy
Oct 14, 2008 Nancy rated it really liked it
I was especially struck by the interview with Lyndon Johnson. Wallace commented that Johnson realized early in his presidency that the war in Vietnam was unwinable, yet he still sent troops to fight. A president can send troops into battle for reasons of political gain or expediency ---much like today. No one man should have that power.
Linda
Sep 08, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
One of the founding anchors of 60 Minutes looks back on his career. Many of the remembrances in this book are from that show, but a few are from previous TV shows. Even though I remember seeing most of the interviews included first hand. The book includes a DVD to enhance the memories. Wallace and I had been partners on Sunday night for over 40 years. It was a good reminisce.
Jr
Mar 28, 2008 Jr rated it really liked it
An amazing quick read and his thoughts on interviewing some of the greatest figures of the twentieth century are really fascinating. Quick hit stories that allow you to pick it up and put it down at will. If you love the art of the interview then this is a must.
Pam
Jul 11, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
I listened to this collection of interview memories on a recent road trip. Interviews included US and international political leaders, civil rights leaders, and pop culture figures. I miss Mike Wallace!
Jenny
More or less Wallace's account of some of his favorite (or what he considers his most important) interviews, how they came to be, and often sound bites from the broadcast. Little biographical informantion. A good audiobook for a trip.
Lisa
Jul 06, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I grew up watching 60 Minutes and wish I was a more regular viewer today. This memoir gave great insight into the show, the amazing career of Mike Wallace, and snipits of some of his most notable interviews.
Melissa
Jan 18, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed Wallace's straight-talking, sharp-shooting style, so I made a point of borrowing this from the library. The book comes with a CD of Mike's interviews, many going way back. I really enjoyed the book & the interviews with various political figures.
Julie
Jun 11, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Great stories of a wonderful journalist's interaction and reaction to people and events. An easy entertaining read
Waldemar
Oct 13, 2012 Waldemar rated it really liked it
Great memoir! Mike Wallace was a A+++ journalist and this book is a must read for anyone who has watched his interviews in 60 Minutes.
Rob Knuth
Apr 12, 2013 Rob Knuth rated it really liked it
I first though tI would hate the boko, but as I got into some of the stories he talked about, I found that I could not put it down.
Clint
Jul 17, 2015 Clint rated it really liked it
Good read of longtime newsman's now decade-old memoir talks about dealings with presidents, "60 Minutes" and the lighter side of the news he covered.
Lynnette
Jan 11, 2010 Lynnette rated it liked it
Readers over 50 will enjoy this personal view of the many famous people interviewed by Mike Wallace over his long career.
Kelly Murray
Mar 23, 2009 Kelly Murray rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
What can I say? I like Mike Wallace. He's what a journalist should be- direct, no frills, no bs, to the point. This was like reading a diary and getting dirt on a bunch of famous and important people
Kristyn
Nov 10, 2007 Kristyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like 60 Minutes
Shelves: biography, cbs, 2007
Mike Wallace is so cool. The book is full of great stories about his experiences on Sixty Minutes and beyond.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • This Just In: What I Couldn't Tell You on TV
  • Bryson City Tales: Stories of a Doctor's First Year of Practice in the Smoky Mountains
  • Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons
  • Cavett
  • A Reporter's Life
  • The Rockefellers: An American Dynasty
  • Maybe You Never Cry Again
  • Majesty: Queen Elizabeth II and the House of Windsor
  • The Camera Never Blinks: Adventures of a TV Journalist
  • At Random: The Reminiscences of Bennett Cerf
  • Queen of the Bremen: The True Story of an American Child Trapped in Germany During World War II
  • Monty Python's Tunisian Holiday: My Life with Brian
  • Big Show: Inside ESPN's Sportscenter
  • David Brinkley
  • A Liar's Autobiography: Volume VI
  • The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969.
  • Now, Let Me Tell You What I Really Think
  • Fighting for Common Ground: How We Can Fix the Stalemate in Congress
Myron Leon "Mike" Wallace was an American journalist. Wallace was a correspondent for CBS's 60 Minutes since its debut in 1968. During his career at 60 Minutes, he interviewed a wide range of prominent newsmakers, including Deng Xiaoping, Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, Ayatollah Khomeini, Kurt Waldheim, Yasser Arafat, Menachem Begin, Anwar Sadat, Manuel Noriega, Jeffrey Wigand, John F. Nash, Vladimir ...more
More about Mike Wallace...

“Retiring is one thing. Being retired is something else altogether.” 1 likes