Start by marking “Kate Remembered” as Want to Read:
Kate Remembered

Kate Remembered

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  4,383 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
Originally published soon after Katharine Hepburn's death, Kate Remembered presents the silver-screen legend as a vibrant, feisty, opinionated woman. A. Scott Berg is perhaps the actress's ideal biographer: He is a Pulitzer Prizewinning author and Hepburn's longtime personal friend. Like its subject, the book is brisk, spunky, and heartfelt. ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Penguin Audio

To ask other readers questions about Kate Remembered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate Remembered

Linda
Aug 01, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Audio read by Tony Goldman. What a delightful audio book! I laughed out loud several times and Mr. Goldman does an excellent job with Ms. Hepburn's voice. I don't know if I realized what a wicked sense of humor she had. She was very family oriented, was known to fall in love with some of her leading men and enjoyed the simple things in life. Spencer Tracy was the love of her life but they never married. If you are a Kate fan you will enjoy this book!!
Tony
Aug 04, 2012 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, history
Kate Remembered - A. Scott Berg – 20120804

I have read this biography twice, or actually read it once and listened to it once. It might very well be the best biography I have ever read.

Having first read the book from the library (and then purchasing it) I was to leave on a business trip and saw the audio book at the library. During my long drive I listened to the audio book.

Either version is highly, HIGHLY, recommended by me. The twists and turns, names and dates, understanding of the film indust
Barb
Jul 15, 2007 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kate Hepburn fans
Shelves: biography
This is not an objective book about Katherine Hepburn and the author makes this clear up front. This is an homage to a friend by a friend who happens to be a writer. In a way, this makes it more enjoyable and fun to read for a Kate Hepburn fan. There are no new revelations, but then Hepburn revealed all while she was alive. So this is just a fun read that feels like you were invited to sit in while friends talked.
Blythe
Jul 16, 2007 Blythe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book had some really great moments and was perfect in that it was written by a close friend of kh's(not some random biographer), but also a person renowned for writing biographies. A little too much about the writer at the beginning, but all and all very fun to read about the amazing personality that was katharine hepburn. I made a list of must-see old movies to rent while reading.
Morgan Wiley
Mar 23, 2014 Morgan Wiley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every bit of this book. Every page. Every word. Mr. Berg made me laugh the whole way through his journey of his friendship with Ms. Hepburn. It's not a thousand pages about her youth or a troubled personal life, etc. It's a poignant, well-pieced together story of a woman who knew exactly what she wanted out of life. Mr. Berg's description of Kate made me want to be her best friend, to be like her, to know her through and through. I often find myself reading biographies but having no opin ...more
Melissa
Mar 22, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book! It's very personal, and not unbiases--which is the main part of the fun. I love Katharine Hepburn anyway, and it's good that I didn't read this with my netflix queue in the same room. If you're at all interested in Hollywood history, this is a must read!
Shannon
Mar 09, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good and it's got really interesting facts. The relationship b/t Scott and Kate is fun and quirky. And the insight on Kate's life and her relationships was so interesting. You can't help but like her even more.
Donna Davis
A. Scott Berg started out to write a magazine article for Esquire, and he wanted to include Hepburn. Knowing she seldom saw people, he got in touch with mutual friends in the hope it would open the gate for him.

It took a long time, but once the gate was open, it was open wide. Hepburn introduced him to her housemate and assistant as "my biographer", and his chin fell on the floor. The relationship began in the 1980's, and she made it clear that he was not to publish it until after her death.

I st
Sydney
Mar 03, 2008 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Katharine Hepburn fans
Recommended to Sydney by: Pat Gohring (My Mom)
I don't generally enjoy Biography, but this was different. Katharine Hepburn has always been one of my favorite actresses. She was such a strong, modern woman. She wasn't without flaws, but she was such a presence both on and off screen. Author Berg became part of her inner circle after convincing her to do an interview for Esquire magazine. He painted such an intimate portrait of her life. On the jacket of the book, he says he can't call this a biography, because he got too close to Hepburn to ...more
Bethany
Jul 03, 2016 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy biographies. I knew little of Kate before reading this book, so I learned a lot. great words of Hepburn wisdom about the meaning of life: "to work hard and to love someone. and to have a little fun along the way". it's not rocket science but it works for me!
Angie
Oct 22, 2007 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of old movies
I am a huge fan of Katharine Hepburn and found this book excellent at sharing her compelling life story. She meets and befriends so many odd famous people from the 1930s into the 2000s. I was simply mesmerized. The author's eloquent words appeared truthful and graceful, as Miss Hepburn.
Hilary Knause
Jun 05, 2007 Hilary Knause rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is the best biography on katherine hepburn out there. she became friends with the author before he became her biographer so there is a much more personal feel to the book than most biographies. i enjoyed every minute of this book.
Minnie
Aug 05, 2012 Minnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. She was such a brilliant and beautiful actor..always spoke her mind and never minced wowrds. My favorite movie of hers was "The African Queen", and she talks a lot about the time spent on this movie.
Jessica Morse
Jan 27, 2008 Jessica Morse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Everything I could want to know about Katherine Hepburn.Berg captured the essence of who she was throughout her life on and off the screen. I received the hard over the day after it came out, when she died in 2003.
Jul 20, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Classic movie fans, Katharine Hepburn fans

"Katharine Hepburn inspires because she speaks directly to the heart in a most intelligent manner. The reason for her staying power is that for the last half century, she - above all - has provided a treasury of images which represent timeless human values: courage, independence, truth, idealism and love." - A. Scott Berg writing about Hepburn inEsquire in 1983.

Right off the bat, in theAuthor's Note, A. Scott Berg lets us know that this book "isn't a critical study of Katharine Hepburn's life
Bruce
Aug 06, 2011 Bruce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the type of book I would normally read, initially I thought that it was not too bad. It is indeed as the author states a personal biography that is heavily influenced by his personal acquaintance and interactions with Katharine Hepburn. It is very readable but it does not concentrate enough on the subject of the biography. A. Scott Berg tends to weave in his own personal acquaintances with other Hollywood celebrities and indeed devotes a significant number of words to the life and opinions o ...more
Simon
Aug 18, 2013 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Berg's real problem is that he only knew Katharine Hepburn at the end of her life, but then again I doubt she would have had time for him prior to that period. This is a once-over-lightly memoir, perfectly enjoyable to read. But it is what it is, which is to say a friend's recollection of a woman who was clearly fascinating at one point in her life, perhaps not as much during the twilight years. Characters that she knew pop in and out of the book. Some of them seem more interesting than Hepburn, ...more
Olivia
Aug 11, 2014 Olivia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is not bad it does seem a little pointless since about 95% of information in it was already available in Katharines autobiography 'Me'. The other part is about the author and is self serving. He goes on about the other famous people he knew, how great his other books are, and how great Kate thought he was. He's not unlikeable but does seem a little into himself. The strange part is he helped Kate put together her book so he knew exactly what was in it. Why did he feel the need ...more
Mimi
Jul 20, 2016 Mimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this before, but reading All the Stars in the Heavens reminded me that I enjoyed it and wanted to re-read. Just as gossipy, sweet, and delightful as I remembered. It's a good "bit at a time" book.
Stephanie Montgomery
This is the most enjoyable book I have ever listened to on Audible. Listening to Tony Goldwyn (who, it was pointed out to me before I read it, is Samuel Goldwyn's grandson) read this book truly enhanced my enjoyment of it. It is also somewhat of a memoir, as Scott Berg "remembers" his friendship with Kate. I liked him, so his Pulitzer Prize winning "Lingbergh" is next on my nonfiction reading list. If you love Katharine Hepburn, you will love this book. Thank you Nick Harvill for the recommendat ...more
Diane Walters
Oct 12, 2015 Diane Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some reviewers have stated that they were disappointed in the writing of this book - that there was too much of the author's story mixed in with Ms. Hepburn's. I really enjoyed that part of the author's story. It added something new to the already known facts that "we" lovers of Hepburn already knew, many times over. The title of the book came to mind . . . should Berg have changed it to insinuate that part of the story was his? "I Remembered Kate," perhaps? I don't believe so. It's a fine title ...more
Leslie
I recently read A. Scott Berg's biography of editor Maxwell Perkins. It was one of those books - I immediately looked to see what else he had written, and the first one I could get my hands on was Kate Remembered. It is really a memoir inside of a memoir. Maxwell Perkins lived for a time next door to Ms Hepburn in New York City. While writing the Perkins biography, he sent Hepburn a note, hoping she would have something to add to the story. She didn't know Perkins, but Berg and she become aware ...more
Jenn
I liked this book. But I went into it knowing very little about Kate. I really liked the beginning and the end, but the middle kind of dragged for me. I thought there was too much spent on, which actors were in every movie she made. I liked the stories about her life, but some of the parts about her career read too much like a resume for my tastes. She was a very interesting woman!
Becky
Aug 15, 2007 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I love bios. I love Hollywood. So, reading a bio about one of Hollywood's greatest actresses wasn't too much a stretch. I really enjoyed this one because the author actually respects the person he is writing about and just doesn't go for the juicy dirt, expose-style bio. You can find out about people without breaking their trust, which is exactly what Berg did here. Excellent bio.
Carra
May 30, 2007 Carra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Total guilty pleasure and an easy read while visiting with family. I am fascinated with Hollywood during the studio era when she was beginning her career and she was such an amazing character. This was a relatively schmaltzy but endearing and interesting read. I recommend it for fans of the lady and of pop culture.
Karen
Jan 26, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have alway love Katharine Hepburn so when this book came out I had to get it. A book about an extraordinary life that is true to her courageous character.
Ed
Aug 28, 2016 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book, I loved learning about Katherine. I felt like she could have been my friend just like she was such a good friend to the author. I would give this audiobook a 7 out of 10. Was semi slow at the beginning, but then picked up steam in the 2nd half. Probably because many of the stars I had never heard of in the earlier part of Katherine's life. Because of this book, and because Katherine said I should rent one of her movies instead of going to her funeral. I am going to re-watch 3 movies t ...more
Shannon
May 24, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Close and Personal

I found this book far more revealing than Kate's autobiography, "Me." In her book, her cagey personality keeps the reader at arm's length. The fact that the author was a close friend of Kate Hepburn added greatly to the value of this book. I looked for but did not find any self-serving passages as some critics have posited. Instead, this biography unveils a real insider quality missing from many biographies. Now on to Mr. Berg's biography of President Wilson.
Janice
Feb 11, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just last week I read a quote by or about Katharine Hepburn. For the life of me, I can not recall where I ran across the quote or even what it dealt with. Nevertheless, it piqued my interest in reading about Katharine Hepburn.
My local library is small (can you believe, not supported by tax dollars?), but offered three biographies of Katharine Hepburn. I chose Kate Remembered by A. Scott Berg due to name recognition, having read his Lindbergh biography.
Not a film buff or idolizer of movie stars,
Marcia
Jun 17, 2015 Marcia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
Some idiot trying to make a few bucks off Kate's death and brag about his 30+ year so-called friendship with her. Was not impressed. Was even less impressed when he claimed that it took him THREE WEEKS to write the last chapter.... and had the date and time Kate died...yet it was IN MY HANDS in less than TWO weeks after it her death...which means....ta-dah...this idiot flat out lied....which makes me wonder what else he lied about.

I do know one thing, that if Katharine Hepburn had known the cont
  • An Affair to Remember: The Remarkable Love Story of Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy
  • Tracy and Hepburn
  • Myrna Loy: Being and Becoming
  • Kate: The Woman Who Was Hepburn
  • The Making of The African Queen, or: How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and almost lost my mind
  • Gracie: A Love Story
  • Silent Stars
  • If This Was Happiness: A Biography of Rita Hayworth
  • The Name Above The Title
  • Notorious: The Life of Ingrid Bergman

“Most of the Hartford crowd had left Fenwick by mid-September, but the big wooden Hepburn house, built on brick piles, was more than a summer cottage. Kate intended to stay there indefinitely—until the afternoon of the twenty-first, when a hurricane, which had been threatening the eastern seaboard all week, gusted northward, heading right for the Connecticut River. Kate swam and golfed that morning, but by the afternoon, the waters had turned ferocious, swamping the lawn and pounding against the house. After the chimneys toppled, the windows imploded, and a wing of the house snapped off, Kate, her mother, her brother Dick, and the cook fled to higher ground. They looked back and saw their uprooted house wash out to sea.
'I think,' said Kate looking back on that entire year, 'God was trying to tell me something.”
0 likes