Start by marking “Magical Mischief” as Want to Read:
Magical Mischief

Magical Mischief

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  27 reviews
What if magic took over everything in its path? This is the fate of the old Hardbattle Bookshop. Magic has settled in every corner and brought chaos to Mr. Hardbattle's life, driving away all of his customers. Then one day, just when Mr. Hardbattle's had enough, a young boy named Arthur stumbles in. And soon Mr. Hardbattle, Arthur, and the lovable Miss Quint are banding to ...more
Expected publication: September 18th 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published June 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Magical Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magical Mischief

Phoebe
Cozy British fantasies are hard to find these days, so fans of this genre will enjoy the latest by Dale. A bookshop owner discovers that magic has taken up residence in his little shop, and he doesn't know what to do. Since the magic is tricky, and temperamental, though mostly good-spirited, he must step carefully. After consulting an expert, he decides to do nothing--and for ten years, the dust gathers and the magic has its way. Business drops off to almost nothing since every person who comes ...more
Dan Rogers
When I read the description of this book it sounded like it would be a really fun and interesting story to read. Mr. Hardbattle has been losing customers from his bookstore because, to put it bluntly, the place stinks. When he does some investigating to determine the cause, he finds out that it is all due to magic. He further learns that the way to get rid of the magic is to thoroughly dust and clean his store. With such a big heart and compassionate nature, he simply can't bring himself to do t ...more
Ms. Yingling

Mr Hardbattle's dusty old bookstore is having a harder and harder time staying in business, mainly because of The Smell. To Mr Hardbattle, it smells like manure, but other patrons have complained of other odors. He consults Mrs Trinket, who solemnly informs him that he has an infestation of magic because he has provided a perfect environment for it to flourish. It could be remedied easily enough, with a good clean out and lots of vacuuming, but since magic is such a rare commodity, Mr Hardbattle
Erica
Book talk: There are few places left where magic can live undisturbed. The world is too busy, too clean, and too new for magic. So when a bit of magic finds Mr. Hardbattle's dusty, quiet, old bookshop it is delighted. Living with magic can be hard--it smells awful and can create quite a mess when it gets excited. But life is never boring when the bottom step may turn into custard at any moment. So when Mr. Hardbattle learns he'll have to move out of the shop he's worried about where the magic wi ...more
Charlotte
Magical Mischief is a great book for kids and just an all around fun book. Anna Dale keeps you awaiting to see what happens next. With all the problems they encounter, you're always rooting for the characters. Even though it's like a lot of books containing magic, you don't really expect magic and a book shop to be in the same story.
Underwood Family
It took me ages to finish this book because it did not really grab me. That said, I am glad I finished it because it didn't go where I expected it to, which I enjoyed.
Kerith
Marvelous little story about a dusty old bookshop that harbors enough magic to wreak havoc and drive away customers. The owner and his unlikely sidekicks must find a new home for the magic, but in the meantime many adventures ensue - including the always fun scenario of book characters coming out of the books to hang around and steal things. Reminded me a bit of Edward Eager and some other magical stories I remember reading as a kid.
Ryan
A fun story about a special, magical bookshop (as if all bookshops weren't magical), where children are far more competent than adults. We insist that kids follow the rules, and then we don't - I can see why they look at us as if we were idiots. The magic is its own character, not something controlled by people - which makes it a bit unnerving, though fun.
Miss Clark
Jeff Raymond
Closer to a 3.5, honestly. This is a very British book about a magical bookshop and the happenings within. It starts out kind of slow, hits quickly, veers into an unexpected direction, and tidies itself up nicely. A perfectly serviceable inoffensive children's book, which may be just what is needed in some cases.
Donna
This book is for readers who like magic but veer more towards the Penderwicks rather than Harry Potter. This is a fun, sweet story with lots of magical hijinks that help the plot from getting too bogged down by it's sometimes tiresome adult characters.
Amy
Storyline and characters were old-fashioned but without the old-fashioned charm. It reminded me a bit of a fantastic book about magic called, The Lemonade Trick by Scott Corbett, about a boy named Kerby who get a magic kit for his birthday.
Judy
The book generally held my interest, but the plot fell apart at the end when the protagonists captured, detained, and moved three robbers without benefit of handcuffs, weapons, or any means of persuasion. How on earth did they do that???
Elsa
2.5. The premise is cute, but it just didn't deliver. I also got really bored right in the middle. Fortunately the story picked up toward the end so I could actually finish it.
Mandy
Summary:
Mr. Harbattle's bookstore is a musty old shop filled with books. But that is not all that it contains; it also houses magic, and the magic doesn't always behave...
Melinda
I really thought this was going to be a good book because I liked the cover. Unfortunately, it didn't keep my attention. I think fourth graders will really enjoy the book.
Janell
I thought this might be fun for Mother/Daughter next year. But It was boring and derivitive and stinky. At least the first couple chapters were................
Lorelie
Loved the concept of wishing characters out of books, and having a magical bookstore is a great idea... interesting tale.
Carly
Cute read, enough to keep me interested to the end. Not highly exciting or anything but enjoyable.
Nancy H
This was a good fantasy for young readers with the 'Harry Potter' style of magical happenings.
Sarah A
Mar 30, 2011 Sarah A rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: i found it in a book shop and the cover caught my eye!
i liked it a bit but i didnt think it was that good (it wasnt the best book ive read)
Tracy Hollander
I actually did not finish this one - was just kind of bored with it.
JennLynn
A fun read about an old bookshop that harbours magic. B+
Allison
Lovely story full of imagination and hijinks! Funny!
Kara
Kids book, fun to read with the kids.
Heather
This is a fun kids book!
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Faerie Door
  • Shadow Spell (Seven Sorcerers #2)
  • The Path of Names
  • Castle of Shadows (Castle of Shadows, #1)
  • R My Name Is Rachel
  • Elliot and the Last Underworld War (Underworld Chronicles, #3)
  • Any Which Wall
  • Thora
  • The Ever Breath
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
  • Hocus Pocus Hotel
  • Under the Green Hill
  • Lexie
  • The Kindling
  • Peaceweaver
  • The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood
  • Wizard at Work
  • The Peskie Spell (Fairy Realm, #9)
Whispering To Witches Spellbound Dawn Undercover