Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station, #2)

Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Patrick and Beth learn that Mr. Whittaker's fancy ring can be seen inside the Imagination Station but not outside of the machine. A mysterious letter leads the cousins to fifth-century Rome in search of a special cup that belongs to a monk. If found, the cup could keep the mysterious Albert out of prison. At the Roman Colosseum, Emperor Honorius is hosting a gladiator batt...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Tyndale House Publishers

Tammy
Adventures In Odyssey has been one of my family's favorite ways of storytelling for generations! We began listening to the stories on radio, then VHS came out, finally dvds and now these wonderful books.
Mr. Whitaker has a wonderfully safe place in his soda shoppe where children learn about the Bible and those heroes of faith.
Having read book 1, Voyage of the Vikings, we were thrilled to read the next book, Attack at the Arena.
Book 1 was great but, hands down, we all loved book 2! Attack at the A...more
Tiffany Deos
Attack at the Arena is the second in the Imagination Station Series. This is a great series for kids ages 7 and up. They are a great alternative to the Magic Tree House books. I love that we can do a whole study off of them in school. My son recently read this book and here is his synopsis.

First Beth and Patrick went to Whit’s End to see Mr. Whitaker. Then Mr. Whitaker tells them they have another adventure to do. They go on the adventure in the Imagination Station. They push the red button whic...more
Emily
Jun 30, 2014 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: children, historical
Attack at the Arena, the second book in the Imagination Station Series, was an interesting, historical book for kids. It’s the story of two cousins who go back in time in the Imagination Station to Ancient Rome. They have a mission to accomplish—getting the monk’s chalice—and they learn valuable lessons along the way—to lay down your life for your friend is the greatest love and to stand up for what you believe in no matter the cost.

It showed a little of what life is like in Ancient Rome, even...more
Michelle
I have gone backward in this series but this second book is really interesting! I don't know much about this time in history with the Roman Colosseum or gladiator battles but this book puts Patrick and Beth right in the middle of things again. I think my favorite part about this book is the strong stand of faith that Telemachus makes. While history blurs a little on what happened at that point in time, he stood up for his faith in God.

This series is pretty good and great for kids.

Highly recomm...more
Danielle
An adventure awaits Patrick and Beth as they step inside the mysterious time traveling machine called "The Imagination Station." From the days of the Vikings to Ancient Rome, each place holds an education that is more exciting than any read in a normal history book. Patrick and Beth are chased by tigers, fight with Vikings and learn that there is more to accomplishing a task than simply setting out on a quest. Each will learn to rely on each other, about the time and place they visit and possibl...more
Brenten Gilbert
Another day, another mysterious letter, another adventure for the team of Beth and Patrick as they continue their quest to help keep Mr. Whittaker’s friend safe - wherever in time or space he may be. This letter requests that the cousins retrieve a special cup. Of course, it’s not quite that simple.

They get separated and forced to face their own set of challenges alone. Beth must adjust to life as a slave for the emperor and Patrick, dressed as a monk, stays close to Telemachus an actual monk....more
Clockstein Lockstein
Attack at the Arena by Paul McCusker & Marianne Hering is the second book in the Imagination Station series from Adventures in Odyssey. Cousins Paul and Beth returned safely from the Viking era with the sunstone only to find that there is another quest them must undertake in order to rescue Albert from Lord Darkthron. Mr. Whittaker, the Imagination Station's creator, gives the children a bit more information about the Station and Albert before sending them to the time of the Romans to find a...more
Tina Peterson
Mr Whitaker has done it again! For years he has been tinkering on the Imagination Station and sharing it with kids of all ages in his Ice Cream Shop Whit's End! Now kids 7 and Up can take a ride on The Imagination Station since a series for younger kids has been released, starting with "Voyage With The Vikings" and "Attack At The Arena".

Written for early readers, ages 7 and up, the new series features the virtual reality device, the Imagination Station, which is one of the major plot devices us...more
Beth Anne
Read aloud to Emma and Will. A lot of similar structure to the first, through the subject matter (centered around fights in the colosseum) was a little more advanced. I would almost give this one the full 5 stars (Will is really engaged with the book and there are minimal pictures) except I wish some of the language was more descriptive (instead of said, characters really could reply, quip, insist, assert, wonder, etc).
Pam H
We love this series - we are currently on book three, but this one (book 2) was our favorite so far. Patrick and Beth have quite a few interesting and exciting adventures with the Imagination Station, and although things get a bit hairy at times, they come out positively in the end. Plenty of excitement for my kids with a bit of morals thrown in to make mom happy!
Kimberly
We started this series reading aloud as a family during story time. The older kids love it. It's an early chapter book with Christian base. It is quick paced and exciting. I like how it brings history to life when the kids time travel to certain eras and places. In the end it's tied up with Christian values the kids learned about or should work harder on.

Book 2 lands the kids in a Roman coliseum, and through their adventure they meet soldiers, a monk, a barbarian and even the emperor himself. Th...more
Amy
Attack at the Arena is the second installment of the Imagination Station series. This time Patrick and Beth find themselves in a Roman arena. Patrick is a monk and Beth is a slave for the emperor. What a great adventure! Another a good book for kids.
5 stars.
Liz
This book takes place around the last of the arena games in the Roman Empire. The children learned that it’s important to speak up for their beliefs, even when it’s unpopular. Other books in this series are more God-focused.
Cristine
This book was awesome. Continues on from Voyage of the Vikings. The two teens are now in Rome. They have to get a silver cup this time to save Andrew. But, there is adventure in here, too. The authors keep you interested throughout the story. Took me just a few hours to read.
Marianne
Jun 05, 2014 Marianne added it
Shelves: read-alouds
We loved this book and love getting to read about historical figures and events. My 6 and 4-year olds were hooked!
N-boy
It was good. Patrick almost got eaten by a tiger! The a slave sent them out.
My son is loving this series! He said I should give it 10 stars.
Angela
Apr 10, 2013 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5+
Again, an adventure book in the style of the Magic Tree house series -- this time, the adventure continues as cousins Patrick and Beth try to help a mysterious person called Albert. They end up in a Roman ampitheater, and meet monks, barbarians - and even the emperor.
Mary-Jane
Patrick and Beth travel back to the time of the Romans and the gladiators. They witness the historical event that ended the gladiator battles. Historical and exciting with a Christian perspective.
Sheila  Coito
I like these books for my busy, non-enthusiastic about books, 5 year old son. I like them, as does he! We like that they have some history in it, is morally sound and exciting!
Tristan
It was exciting. There were mysteries in it. A lot of cool stuff in it. It's a good book for 5 and up.
Lisa
Great book! Kids loved it. Our next adventure begins tomorrow with Peril in the Palace. :)
Adam Kokkonen
Adam Kokkonen marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2014
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Marianne Hering is a prolific writer, having written hundreds of articles and a number of books for children and parents. For nine years she worked for several magazines in Focus on the Family’s periodicals department and became the editor of Clubhouse, a Focus on the Family children’s magazine with a circulation of over 100,000.

As a mother of three children, Marianne is interested in parenting an...more
More about Marianne Hering...
Voyage with the Vikings (Imagination Station, #1) Peril in the Palace (Imagination Station, #3) Hunt for the Devil's Dragon (Imagination Station #11) Showdown with the Shepherd (Imagination Station, #5) Revenge of the Red Knight (Imagination Station, #4)