Start by marking “Holiday Classics By O. Henry” as Want to Read:
Holiday Classics By O. Henry

Holiday Classics By O. Henry

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  457 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Length -- 51 mins

When it comes to the holidays, no story brings us back to the true spirit of giving like O. Henry’s classic "The Gift of the Magi". So this year we’ve asked some of your favorite Audible narrators—Audie Award winners Katherine Kellgren, Oliver Wyman, and Jonathan Davis—to bring to life this timeless tale, plus two more of O. Henry’s gems, "The Cop and the
Audiobook, Unabridged - Audible Download, 1 page
Published December 9th 2010 by Audible, Inc. (first published December 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Holiday Classics By O. Henry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holiday Classics By O. Henry

Rob Hermanowski
This is a brief Audible collection by the American short story master O. Henry. Included is the very well-known "The Gift of the Magi", and two stories I had not previously read: "The Cop and the Anthem" and "The Last Leaf." All are beautiful stories that are particularly nice to experience during the holiday season. Narrators Katherine Kellgren, Oliver Wyman, and Jonathan Davis are all excellent.
Elizabeth
Clever little stories but not the least bit heart-warming. I recall having to read The Gift of the Magi in High School and don't now understand why; it is good storytelling but not anything worthy to ponder. Likewise for all the short-stories contained here.
Josh

Three touching and memorable stories comprise this volume of holiday classics, narrated superbly by some of Audible's best narrators. Though short, it was a very entertaining listen, as each story kept me interested and really transcended its historical time frame. Definitely a worthwhile listen.
Becky
Three short stories around the Christmas season. Many have heard of "The Gift of the Magi" - The other two tales were good tales for this time of year. O. Henry was talented working with the compactness of short stories.
Jessika Rov
Awful...simply awful and depressing on a Christmas night - not at all what I expected.
Tara
A free audiobook from audible. It was just okay, in my opinion.
Jasmin Traum
A very nice and entertaining book, I really like it.
Ceola
Wonderful shorts with a message
Sher
I have read and reread these stories over the years, and love reading them again at Christmas time. One can never grow tired of the excellent writing of O. Henry, his prose, his irony, his well taken point. I found myself with tears welling up in my eyes as I read the tender ending of "The Last Leaf." Likewise with "The Gift of the Magi," which is very nearly a cult classic.

These are stories that must be read by everyone!
Kat
Dec 20, 2012 Kat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
A free book, of about the quality I've come to expect from free books. The first and last stories, though worth a listen, only seem to be in the collection because they're set during winter. The narrator for the famous Magi story, the piece in the middle, was so terrible at doing a woman's voice that it entirely took me out of the story, and the narrator for the last story wasn't much better. Odd editorial choices abound here.
Mad Russian the Traveller
This a lovely collection of three most famous (of the many famous) short stories of William Sydney Porter. The three stories in order are "The Cop and the Anthem","The Gift of the Magi","The Last Leaf".
Sublime apotheosis of short story making indeed!
Matthew
I'd say more three and a half, but a high three and a half (man, they need a better rating system!). These stories were definitely well-written and enjoyable and fun for the Christmas season. One cannot dispute O.Henry's talent. That said, I probably won't rush out and read a bunch more of his stories.
Caroline
This review is for the Magi story only. This being one of the most wonderful tales of love and how beautiful it can be. The true gift of giving between the two people in the story is the depth of their regard for each other... simply beautiful.
Janet
Great to listen to the actual "Gift of the Magi" rather than someone else's summary of it. Wonderful writing style. I loved the line that went something like "Life is made up of sobs, sniffles and smiles, with sniffles predominating."
Bryce
A lovely, seasonal taste of a few of O. Henry's more famous short stories. The reader for "The Gift of the Magi" was great, but the story itself rose above the narration.
Tanglebones
Great collection of three classic short stories by O. Henry. I'd only previously read Gift of the Magi, so the other two were of more interest.
Chelsey Adams
Not sure how the first and the last are holiday classics...especially the first. But ah well.
Mandie Kok
Old-fashioned stories with predictable little twists. A very quick read.
Wm B
The Gift of the Magi and The Last Leaf are very enjoyable short stories.
Jill
Mar 10, 2013 Jill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Between Thanksgiving and Christmas reading nearly every year.
Heather
Sunday school rubbish. Given as a free book so no loss.
John Kaess
Audiobook reading of three short stories by O. Henry
Larry
I needed some Christmas joy!

O’Henry is always great.
Kelley
Another one I like to read every year. :-)
Loveeac
not my cup of tea
Malinda
Malinda marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
  • The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • Paris Is A Bitch (John Rain, #6.5)
  • The Cricket on the Hearth
  • Christmas Eve, 1914
  • Telling Tales
  • Come Toy with Me
  • The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries (The Great Courses)
  • All I Want For Christmas...: Christmas Kisses / Baring It All / A Hot December Night
  • Pursuit
  • A Christmas Ball (Includes: Nvengaria, #4)
  • Chopin Manuscript
  • Vampire's Tango (Wicked Games, #2.2)
  • Faery Magic
  • Buddhism for Busy People: Finding Happiness in an Uncertain World
  • The Old Maid: The 'Fifties (Modern Library Classics)
  • Rapunzel
  • Heroes and Legends: The most influential characters of literature
  • Customs of the World: Using Cultural Intelligence to Adapt, Wherever You Are
William Sydney Porter lends the pen name "O. Henry" to surprise endings signed officially as Sydney Porter. His biography shows where he found inspiration for his characters. Their voices and his language were products of his era.

He was born 1862 Greensboro, North Carolina. When he was three years old, his mother died from tuberculosis. He left school at fifteen, worked five years in uncle's drugs
More about O. Henry...
The Gift of the Magi Selected Stories The Ransom of Red Chief The Gift of the Magi and Other Short Stories The Best Short Stories of O. Henry