Start by marking “Tigers in Red Weather” as Want to Read:
Tigers in Red Weather

Tigers in Red Weather

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Poet, writer, and descendant of Charles Darwin, Ruth Padel set out to visit a tropical jungle and wildlife sanctuary in India-- and her visit turned into a remarkable two-year journey through eleven countries in search of that most elusive and most beautiful animal: the tiger. Armed with her grandmother's opera glasses and Tunisian running shoes, she set off across Asia to ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Walker Books Ltd (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tigers in Red Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tigers in Red Weather

Ted
4 1/2 stars. This was a great read (5 stars) for the information on the state of tigers in the wild, but was also of course fairly depressing on that score. It was not quite as successful (3 stars) in weaving in the story of the author's love life. That part of the work was not really very intrusive, since it was brief interludes here and there, but at a distance of about five years since reading it, I can't really remember what the point of it was supposed to be. It definitely didn't make me ca ...more
Chloe
While I could have lived without Ms. Padel's interwoven tale of lost love - this moving and well researched book on the fate of the tigers on the planet Earth was intense and important. If we can stop the poaching of tigers - selling, in the main, their parts to China and encourage the countries in which the few remain, we will save a food chain that is ecologically imperative for this planet. But more than that - we will save this magnificent creature - for whom there is no replacement period. ...more
Juliet Wilson
Ruth Padel, who is best known as a poet, in Tigers in Red Weather travels through the countries where tigers live and those where they have recently become extinct. She meets the people who are involved in tiger conservation and discusses the situation around poaching, trade, deforestation and other issues threatening the future of the tiger. She also overcomes her own trepidation about adventurous hiking to climb into tiger territories to see the areas for herself.

This is a passionate and vivi
Saz Gee
Beautiful even if I (and Padel?) did lose my way a bit. Dances with words.
Alicia
Chronicling two years, eleven countries and countless dedicated guides, the quest to find and observe the wild tiger obsesses Ruth Padel in this poetic narrative. The simple descriptions illuminate the natural world and the obvious love that the author develops for tigers shines through. Personal narrative and private heartbreak are sprinkled throughout the text but at its heart is always the plight of the ancient tiger in a modern world.
Kirsten
A firsthand look at tigers in the wild, not from the point of view of a scientist, but from the point of view of someone who just fell in love with them. Her observations on environmental conditions versus politics are a real eye-opener. That makes it depressing at times, of course, but it's important to know, too. I could have done without the parallels to her love life, though. They were a bit distracting.
Dallas Mcmaugh
Imagine my surprise to discover this really was about tigers. I bought it thinking it was much praised Lisa klaussman novel of same title (from Wallace Stevens: an old sailor drunk and asleep in his boots catches tigers in red weather) and my edition didn't have the helpful subtitle. Padel is engaging and poetic (sometimes overly) on tigers but bit tedious on her broken romance (but aren't we all?)
Jennie
Sep 12, 2007 Jennie rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: insomniacs
Lonely, soul-searching women shouldn't necessarily write books about their spiritual journeys. I was hoping this book would be more about the promised tigers and their plight, and less about the whiny writer. i could only read half of this book before i gave up completely. The tiger part was fascinating, but the weepy autobiographical writing was too much to bear.
Eventer79
The most beautifully written book I have read in as long as I can remember. The author is a poet who ended a relationship and decided to travel the world because she was entranced by tigers and wanted to learn about their plight. At times heartbreaking, at times uplifting, I savoured every word and now have a new long list of places I want to see.
Deryn
Perhaps I'm being insensitive, but I feel like the author should really have decided whether this book should be about tigers or about her relationship troubles. The constant interjections were terribly distracting from an otherwise wonderful book - still an important read for anyone who loves the great cats.
Guilherme
Delightful. A book to re-read - if it wasn't so long, and if we didn't have so much on the the shelf begging to be read! Ruth Padel set off on a crazy quest for Tiger-abilia. Not one page of goes wasted.
Susan
Ruth Padel is the great-grandaughter of Charles Darwin. Her book made me want to travel to India to see tigers in the wild - before they are gone for good.
Corrie
Ah, books about animals. And travel. And a perfectly timed subplot about moving forward after a breakup. Who could ask for more??!!
Ruth
I really enjoyed parts of this book and found it fascinating, but at other times it kind of dragged
Meghan
Zoology by a poet - lyrical, but no linearity or compelling hook.
Siri
Siri marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Mary Nguyen
Mary Nguyen marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Linda q
Linda q marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Taylor Sneden
Taylor Sneden marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
John Butt
John Butt is currently reading it
Mar 14, 2015
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Jim Parker
Jim Parker is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
Julee Nevarez
Julee Nevarez marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Kelle
Kelle marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ruth is a British poet and writer. Her most recent book The Mara Crossing is a mixed-genre meditation on migration, prose and poetry. She has published eight poetry collections, a novel, and eight books of non-fiction, including three on reading poetry. She also presents Radio 4′s Poetry Workshop, visiting poetry groups across the UK to discuss their poems.

Her awards include First Prize in the UK
More about Ruth Padel...
52 Ways Of Looking At A Poem: or How Reading Modern Poetry Can Change Your Life Darwin: A Life in Poems The Poem And The Journey: And Sixty Poems To Read Along The Way Where the Serpent Lives The Mara Crossing

“Poetry or science, what matters is saying it how you see it. Saying precisely what and how you saw, and no more. In science, poetry or describing a journey, accuracy is all you can do. Saying it as you saw.” 1 likes