Start by marking “Tigers in Red Weather” as Want to Read:
Tigers in Red Weather

Tigers in Red Weather

Poet, writer, and descendant of Charles Darwin, Ruth Padel set out to visit a tropical jungle and wildlife sanctuary in India-- and her visit turned into a remarkable two-year journey through eleven countries in search of that most elusive and most beautiful animal: the tiger. Armed with her grandmother's opera glasses and Tunisian running shoes, she set off across Asia to ...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Walker Books Ltd (first published June 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tigers in Red Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tigers in Red Weather

Ted

4 1/2 stars.

This was a great read (5 stars) for the information on the state of tigers in the wild, but was also of course fairly depressing on that score. It was not quite as successful (3 stars) in weaving in the story of the author's love life. That part of the work was not really very intrusive, since it was brief interludes here and there, but at a distance of about five years since reading it, I can't really remember what the point of it was supposed to be. It definitely didn't make me ca
David Ward
Tigers in Red Weather: A Quest for the Last Wild Tigers by Ruth Padel (Walker & Company 2006) (599.796). This is an odd book. Author Ruth Padel is a direct descendant of Charles Darwin. Padel is best known as a poet. She spent two years puttering around exploring the far east while researching this book. While I enjoyed Tigers in Red Weather, there were two serious shortcomings that were painfully obvious: first, this book, though about tigers, was written by a poet rather than a scientist o ...more
Juliet Wilson
Jun 12, 2009 Juliet Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, travel
Ruth Padel, who is best known as a poet, in Tigers in Red Weather travels through the countries where tigers live and those where they have recently become extinct. She meets the people who are involved in tiger conservation and discusses the situation around poaching, trade, deforestation and other issues threatening the future of the tiger. She also overcomes her own trepidation about adventurous hiking to climb into tiger territories to see the areas for herself.

This is a passionate and vivi
Chloe
Feb 27, 2013 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I could have lived without Ms. Padel's interwoven tale of lost love - this moving and well researched book on the fate of the tigers on the planet Earth was intense and important. If we can stop the poaching of tigers - selling, in the main, their parts to China and encourage the countries in which the few remain, we will save a food chain that is ecologically imperative for this planet. But more than that - we will save this magnificent creature - for whom there is no replacement period. ...more
Miho Kinnas
An interesting mix of the information on pan-asian tiger protection, personal experiences as a new-to jungle adventurer, poet, descendant of Darwin and woman. What's totally missing in the book is the long and vast cultural tiger history of China. It's regrettable that she didn't meet anyone who could have informed her on the subject. It is China where the author could have had the tremendous amount of information and the starkest contrast about the gap between the tiger as the symbol and as the ...more
Kirsten
Aug 01, 2011 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A firsthand look at tigers in the wild, not from the point of view of a scientist, but from the point of view of someone who just fell in love with them. Her observations on environmental conditions versus politics are a real eye-opener. That makes it depressing at times, of course, but it's important to know, too. I could have done without the parallels to her love life, though. They were a bit distracting.
Dallas Mcmaugh
Sep 14, 2012 Dallas Mcmaugh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine my surprise to discover this really was about tigers. I bought it thinking it was much praised Lisa klaussman novel of same title (from Wallace Stevens: an old sailor drunk and asleep in his boots catches tigers in red weather) and my edition didn't have the helpful subtitle. Padel is engaging and poetic (sometimes overly) on tigers but bit tedious on her broken romance (but aren't we all?)
Alicia
Sep 09, 2007 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronicling two years, eleven countries and countless dedicated guides, the quest to find and observe the wild tiger obsesses Ruth Padel in this poetic narrative. The simple descriptions illuminate the natural world and the obvious love that the author develops for tigers shines through. Personal narrative and private heartbreak are sprinkled throughout the text but at its heart is always the plight of the ancient tiger in a modern world.
Deryn
Feb 14, 2012 Deryn rated it liked it
Perhaps I'm being insensitive, but I feel like the author should really have decided whether this book should be about tigers or about her relationship troubles. The constant interjections were terribly distracting from an otherwise wonderful book - still an important read for anyone who loves the great cats.
Jennie
Sep 05, 2007 Jennie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: insomniacs
Lonely, soul-searching women shouldn't necessarily write books about their spiritual journeys. I was hoping this book would be more about the promised tigers and their plight, and less about the whiny writer. i could only read half of this book before i gave up completely. The tiger part was fascinating, but the weepy autobiographical writing was too much to bear.
Eventer79
Aug 18, 2011 Eventer79 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
The most beautifully written book I have read in as long as I can remember. The author is a poet who ended a relationship and decided to travel the world because she was entranced by tigers and wanted to learn about their plight. At times heartbreaking, at times uplifting, I savoured every word and now have a new long list of places I want to see.
Guilherme
Delightful. A book to re-read - if it wasn't so long, and if we didn't have so much on the the shelf begging to be read! Ruth Padel set off on a crazy quest for Tiger-abilia. Not one page of goes wasted.
Corrie
Jun 30, 2008 Corrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, books about animals. And travel. And a perfectly timed subplot about moving forward after a breakup. Who could ask for more??!!
Meghan
Nov 04, 2008 Meghan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Zoology by a poet - lyrical, but no linearity or compelling hook.
Onesimo Bosket
dis book was good
Susan
Ruth Padel is the great-grandaughter of Charles Darwin. Her book made me want to travel to India to see tigers in the wild - before they are gone for good.
Ruth
Jan 16, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature
I really enjoyed parts of this book and found it fascinating, but at other times it kind of dragged
Saz Gee
Feb 20, 2014 Saz Gee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful even if I (and Padel?) did lose my way a bit. Dances with words.
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Leo
Leo rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Julia Henderson
Julia Henderson rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2008
SE Lyons
SE Lyons rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Deborah Goulding
Deborah Goulding rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Vaishali
Vaishali rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2016
Connie Walker
Connie Walker rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2017
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
May 08, 2013
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
May 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Tigers in the Snow
  • The Big Cats and Their Fossil Relatives: An Illustrated Guide to Their Evolution and Natural History
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • The Life of Mammals
  • Ghosts of Tsavo: Stalking the Mystery Lions of East Africa
  • Suburban Safari: A Year on the Lawn
  • The Beast in the Garden: The True Story of a Predator's Deadly Return to Suburban America
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The Wolverine Way
  • The Bird: A Natural History of Who Birds Are, Where They Came From & How They Live
  • Secrets of the Savanna: Twenty-three Years in the African Wilderness Unraveling the Mysteries of Elephants and People
  • Pleasurable Kingdom: Animals and the Nature of Feeling Good
  • Walking Home: A Poet's Journey
  • Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion
  • Life in the Valley of Death: The Fight to Save Tigers in a Land of Guns, Gold, and Greed
  • Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • Nature Cure
Ruth is a British poet and writer. Her most recent book The Mara Crossing is a mixed-genre meditation on migration, prose and poetry. She has published eight poetry collections, a novel, and eight books of non-fiction, including three on reading poetry. She also presents Radio 4′s Poetry Workshop, visiting poetry groups across the UK to discuss their poems.

Her awards include First Prize in the UK
More about Ruth Padel...

“Poetry or science, what matters is saying it how you see it. Saying precisely what and how you saw, and no more. In science, poetry or describing a journey, accuracy is all you can do. Saying it as you saw.” 1 likes