Start by marking “Fifty Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners” as Want to Read:
Fifty Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners

Fifty Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners

Book by Herrell, Adrienne L., Jordan, Michael L.
Paperback, Third Edition, 335 pages
Published February 1st 2007 by Prentice Hall (first published October 4th 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Fifty Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners

Nicole
Apr 07, 2016 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a phenomenal resource for any teacher looking to increase their usage of best practices. These strategies are powerful for every learner in a classroom even though it is targeted towards instructing English Language Learners. I read this for my TESOL endorsement and it was easy to read and will definitely provide a treasure trove of methods to engage all of my students. I love how the strategies are formatted and classroom anecdotes are provided for both elementary and secondary classroo ...more
Ashley Wagner
Nov 13, 2013 Ashley Wagner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
I was required to purchase this text in my undergraduate career for my ELL endorsement. This text has been so useful in helping teach literacy with not only ELL students, but struggling native English speakers in the classroom too. Each skill is broken down into steps and how you implement the strategy in your classroom. Also, the text included graphic organizers to go with the strategies as well. I use mostly for vocabulary and comprehension skills.
Jenny Buckley
Great ideas for the my team-taught EL class. The strategies are short, easy to read, and there is always an elementary and secondary example. I found a lot of helpful strategies I have already started to implement in my classroom.
Erin Fowler
Aug 01, 2013 Erin Fowler rated it really liked it
This book has great tips and lessons for teaching English Language Learners! It comes with a cd shows teachers teaching lessons and how they help their ELL students.
MrsQ
Jul 18, 2008 MrsQ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, ESL teachers
Far and away my favorite book on this topic. There appears to be a new edition out but I can't tell what the difference is between the new and the old (other than the fact it includes a CD).
Katherine Fountain
Oct 29, 2012 Katherine Fountain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Loved the layout of this book--easy to navigate and a quick read!! Each strategy is easy to understand and many include suggested assessments.
Stacy
Jun 23, 2008 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Full of awesome ideas that could be easily implemented in a classroom. I'm sure I'll need these when I start teaching again here in Seattle.
Mandy
Oct 07, 2013 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing earth-shattering here. I'd like to read something that includes some new strategies...not the same old, same old.
Carmen
Oct 02, 2011 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Everything was directed towards elementary and middle school readers. Not much help with students who don't want to be treated like little kids. They tend to resent that.
Tracy
Jul 28, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
Definitely making its way from my bookshelf to school...a useful, practical read for anyone working with ELLs.
Abdelaty Kofta
Abdelaty Kofta rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Lisamarie Skelton
Lisamarie Skelton rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Erika Kennedy
Erika Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Natalie Stewart
Natalie Stewart rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Bobby Cupp
Bobby Cupp rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Logan
Logan rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2015
Amber Elise
Amber Elise rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Katrinadohn Dohn
Katrinadohn Dohn rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2008
Crystal
Feb 12, 2009 Crystal marked it as non-fiction
We'll see if this helps me out!
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2010
Md. Ull
Md. Ull rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Laura Scott
Laura Scott rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Emily B
Emily B rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Annalee T
Annalee T rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2009
Sharmin
Sharmin rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Teaching ESL/EFL Reading and Writing
  • Essential Linguistics: What You Need to Know to Teach Reading, ESL, Spelling, Phonics, and Grammar
  • How Languages Are Learned
  • Making Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model
  • Teaching for Comprehending and Fluency: Thinking, Talking, and Writing About Reading, K-8
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • The First Six Weeks of School
  • Curriculum Development in Language Teaching
  • Building Academic Vocabulary: Teacher's Manual
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • Foundations of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism
  • The Big Book of Team Building Games: Trust-Building Activities, Team Spirit Exercises, and Other Fun Things to Do
  • We Can't Teach What We Don't Know: White Teachers, Multiracial Schools