Agile Web Development With Rails

Agile Web Development With Rails

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,198 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Rails is a full-stack, open source web framework that enables you to create full-featured, sophisticated web-based applications, but with a twist... A full Rails application probably has less total code than the XML you'd need to configure the same application in other frameworks. With this book you'll learn how to use ActiveRecord to connect business objects and database...more
ebook, 4th Edition, 472 pages
Published (first published July 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Agile Web Development With Rails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Web Development With Rails

Tom Purl
In general, this book does a fairly good job of helping you create a rails-based application. Part 3 includes some great in-depth information on the topics that are briefly discussed in Part 2.

I only have one real gripe about this book. It packs in lots of topics (e.g. db theory, AJAX, unit testing, security, deployment), but it doesn't really tell you much about them. Therefore, if you have a problem, then good luck figuring it out using the content in the book.

A good example is the final cha...more
Michael Economy
[Review of Second Edition]

Dave thomas is a pretty good writer, I thought that The Pragmatic Programmer was an excellent book. However, alot of the garbage suggested in AWD makes me doubt how much experience the author has writing scalable, agile, high traffic web-applications.

If you go into this book looking to learn how to code with rails, thats fine, but don't expect to learn to program well for the web from this book. Infact, be prepared to ignore large portions of the book.

Anyway I guess thi...more
Josh Frankel
Not a good book for starting to learn the language. A much better choice is Michael Hartl's book Learn Web Development with Rails
Sam
Jul 25, 2007 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Programmers
If you are interested in getting started with Rails, this is the way to go. I'd recommend you read the first few chapters of Thomas' "Programming Ruby" first, to get a foundation in ruby first.
Brent
I read the first 100 pages last night. I'm really starting to like this rails stuff. This is really helping me get a handle on Rails. Good stuff.
Mark
I met Dave Thomas at a Ruby on Rails class. He really knows his stuff and I refer to his book at work.
Jevgeni Holodkov
It was one of the books with I read using rapid reading techniques. It means, that my review is going to be biased.

I liked the book - the first part was a hands-on tutorial on building a rails application from stratch. I believe it covered all the most popular issues we have when building web applications. The book includes information on how to do automated testing, like functional and unit testing. However, it expects to enter all commands to the rails console and does not always provide "res...more
Thomas Wolfe
Sep 01, 2011 Thomas Wolfe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thomas by: Michael Kory Woods
Shelves: programming, ruby, rails
Suggested by my friend Kory. I read the beta version of this book. Again, in some ways I prefer books with a few errors, keeps me on my toes. I've got a few ideas on what I'm going to build with this new tool, I'll post back here when I do (although now I kind of want to play with jquery since I really know nothing about that library and it could prove useful in rails, or well any type of web apps). It's quite verbose, but I guess for people who want their hand held a bit (I'll admit, hand-holdi...more
Shaun
After introducing myself to Ruby, I read this book to become more familiar with the Rails framework. I was very pleased with how this book was laid out. The first section has you dig right into creating a basic storefront by guiding you through the basics of using the Rails framework. This first section teaches you everything you need to create a basic site of your own. The latter sections of the book go into depth regarding each concept you learned in the initial sections as well as other advan...more
Darryl
Decent book to learn rails. I'm a total noob when it comes to web apps, yet this book was good enough to get me through my first site. The approach they take is to write a full website first, then go back and fill in the details. I think this was a good approach as long as you're willing to do the whole example site along with the book. However, it made it hard to use the book as a reference once you run off on your own. Many times I knew I had seen a topic in the book and couldn't find it later...more
John Lee
I didn't personally get my first taste of Rails using this book; rather, I learned from Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example. Coming to this after working through a large chunk of Hartl's book, I found Hartl's approach to be a bit easier to follow, though this book does do a pretty good job of introducing concepts as you go. I'm not experienced enough with Rails to be able to say which tutorial is the best, but this isn't a bad choice.
Chris Maguire
Great intro to rails. It felt a little backwards building up a site before going into the details, but it wasn't too bad. I feel confident now that I could sit down at a rails app and at lease have an idea of what's going on.

I didn't follow along or do the exercises, which is crucial, and the book was still good.

This book changed my opinion of rails from "meh" to "wow". Rails is very powerful stuff. I don't necessarily like Ruby all that much but Rails is a pretty full-featured and capable too...more
Andrew
I think this is really a great book, describing everything you need to start with Rails. For this reason as well as to recommend anyone starting out with Rails to read this book, I rate it 5 stars. However, the book is not advanced enough to teach Rails from scratch to developers already familiar with modern web development. Anyway, I recommend even experienced web developers moving to Rails to run quickly through this book, take notes and move on to "The Rails 4 Way".
Krom
This was the best book I found for Rails web development. If I had to choose between "Simply Rails" and this book, I would choose this book. The reason being that Simply Rails is a very gentle walk through of an example website, and that's about it. This book has that as the first section, and then continues on with more technical discussions of the major moving parts in the rails framework, and thus serves as both a primer and a reference.

The 4th edition is due to arrive soon, and is retooled...more
Doğa Armangil
A must-read for Rails developers.
Pangiotis Atmatzidis
The intro says that you can keep up if you don't know ruby and with relatively little CSS/HTML but I don't think so. I don't know much about CSS or HTML but I know ruby and have written two applications using Sinatra and MVC. Everything seems easy, I am trying to cope with the abstraction level but I wouldn't say that this book is for beginners. On the other hand I like its approach, goes directly to web development without loosing too much over various subjects, rails is a framework after all,...more
Surendar
read it for the last few chapters which is Rails in depth. it is really worth.
Beau
Essential reading for savvy designers and developers cleverly boarding the ruby on rails train. All designers should learn to code. Ruby is a beautiful language and rails makes a practical partner to bring your next napkin sketch into reality. This book was written in part by DHH, the creator of rails among other things. That rendered the book a trusted source for conventions and best practices.
Paul
A good book to have read at some point for historical reasons - DHH's involvement kind of makes that an imperative. However, it's dated (actually pre 1.0) so many of the specifics are no longer correct or recommended, and it misses big chunks of what is now conventional rails (RESTful routes for example). A better source for current practice (at least until 3.0) is The Rails Way by Obie Fernandez
Mike Han
Like many other reviewers has said, this book is an absolute necessity for all the newbies who are learning ruby on rails for all sorts of reasons. I certainly like the way the book leads you to dig right into the coding something basic before educating you with all the little details afterwards.
Bruno Bonamin
The best programming book I have ever read. The soft introduction to a new language, paired with an easy-to-follow narrative; which takes you through the building of a real production application while learning the Rails framework, makes this book amazingly enjoyable besides from interesting.
Brian
The de facto standard for getting up and running with RoR, from what I've heard. I read the 4th edition. The material was good, but there seemed to be a lot of errors that sent me searching the online errata or on Stack Overflow. Hopefully the later versions have fixed those areas.
Michael
Essential reading for the aspiring Rails developer. These guys helped popularize Ruby and Rails with their early books on the subjects and the latest editions cover the new versions of each very well. Old Rails hands will not find much reason to be excited about this one.
Nathan
Read this if you want to get started learning Rails and already have some programming experience. It doesn't go too far into explaining how Ruby works, so if you are not comfortable diving in all at once, be sure to learn the basics of Ruby before you pick up this book.
Trey
This was the first book I read when learning Ruby on Rails. I highly recommend it as the text is easy to follow, concepts are presented well, and the examples are fun and interesting. I still keep it by my computer when I work on projects to use as a reference guide.
Dan
Rails is my 1st framework I've paid any attention to, and it looks like a lot of fun. It also looks like there are a lot of rules to follow. I'm sure I'll be able to break the rules once I figure a few things out with Rails, and maybe this book will get me there.
Emil
A great introduction to Ruby on Rails. It has a practical approach as it gets you through building a simple web store application.
Good to know some Ruby before jumping into Rails. However, this book does include a 10 or so page crash course on Ruby.
Donald Guy
Through having owned 3 editions, and basically having picked up all the material from other sources in the meantime anyway, after something like 7 years, I finally finished this book. I ... don't really have much more to say about it.
Angus McDonald
One of my first reads about Ruby on Rails, and still the best starting point for anyone new to RoR. The fact that it takes an Agile view is a plus and is what got me interested in Agile development in the first place.
  • Rails Recipes
  • The RSpec Book
  • The Rails 3 Way
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • The Well-Grounded Rubyist
  • Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • The Ruby Way: Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Programming Erlang
  • Why's (Poignant) Guide to Ruby
  • Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
  • jQuery in Action
  • Programming Clojure
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Learn to Program
  • Seven Languages in Seven Weeks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Гибкая разработка веб-приложений в среде Rails Reiruzu Ni Yoru Ajairu Uebu Apurikēshon Kaihatsu Desarrollo Web Con Rails/ Web Development With Rails (Titulos Especiales/ Special Titles) (Spanish Edition) RESTful Web APIs Java Development with Ant