Start by marking “Radio Waves: Life and Revolution on the Fm Dial” as Want to Read:
Radio Waves: Life and Revolution on the Fm Dial

Radio Waves: Life and Revolution on the Fm Dial

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  8 reviews
An explosive, unforgettable look at the FM radio business through the eyes of one of its most colorful and idealistic personalities. Ladd follows the birth, blazing success, and tragic demise of FM free-form radio.
Published May 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Radio Waves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radio Waves

Ain't No Grave by Macel Ely IIThe War of the Worlds by H.G. WellsLake Wobegon Days by Garrison KeillorWe Interrupt This Broadcast by Joe GarnerRadio On by Sarah Vowell
Radio Days
41st out of 49 books — 12 voters
All the President's Men by Carl BernsteinThe Sorrows of Young Mike by John ZelaznyThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsBlack Like Me by John Howard GriffinThe Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger
Books by Journalists
292nd out of 374 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

This book explains why KMET was my radio station of choice, why I eventually drifted away from it, and why broadcast radio today is completely soulless. Jim Ladd, man, the number of times I listened to him talk and thought he was so right on with his observations. Loved his commentary so much, spoke directly to those of us who let our freak flag fly. Not to mention the music, oh, the music! I am so thankful I was able to experience FM radio at its absolute best in the late '70's. Jim Ladd: best ...more
Ah, the good old days of free-form FM rock and roll stations. Jim Ladd, who I used to listen to in my younger years in LA, spins a tale that saddens those of us who were able to experience radio when it was good, when a musically knowledgeable and adventurous DJ could take us on journeys that could change your mood, change your day or change your life. Long live rock and roll and may the spirit of free form rock and roll radio live on (though probably only on satellite radio these days).
I gobbled this book up in two days. Jim Ladd was Tom Petty's inspiration for the album, "The Last DJ," and this is the chronicle of Ladd's glory days during the formative years of the LA FM underground. I listened to that music a lot, so this book had a lot of personal resonance for me.
Loved it. I grew up in the Hollywood/Los Angeles area so Jim's stories brought back memories. Not all but many of the on-air shows described in the book I heard live. It brought back fond memories.
When I first read this book...not only did I get a lot of laughs out of it, it also reminded me of the glory days of pirate won't find anything else like it. If you want to know what it was like working at a FM station back in the late 60s - early 70s......this is a must-read!
Will George
A great first-hand account of the days of free form FM radio from one of the masters of the art. It made me remember how much I wanted to be a DJ when I was a teenager. But by the time I was old enough to try, radio had become a soulless formula, with very few live DJs. I wish there had been a final chapter on what happened to the various DJs and characters in the book after KMET imploded.
Jim chronicles the SPECIAL time in L.A. Radio...
Possibly the worst book about rock music I've ever read.
Shawn Goodin
Shawn Goodin marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Aram Arslanian
Aram Arslanian marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Larry  Martinson
Larry Martinson marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Christopher Nieman
Christopher Nieman marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Matt marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Michael Wall
Michael Wall marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Brent marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Rose Harmon
Rose Harmon marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Conal marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Space Pirates: Stranded Space Pirates: Mutiny! Space Pirates: Stranded! Space Pirates: Treasure Stowaway!