Start by marking “خرده داستان‌ها” as Want to Read:
خرده داستان‌ها

خرده داستان‌ها

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  36 reviews
بهترین داستان‌های کوتاهِ کوتاهِ آمریکا (1986-1996)‏
Published 2008 by مانِ کتاب (first published August 17th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about خرده داستان‌ها, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about خرده داستان‌ها

Kate
Nov 28, 2009 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short short people
Recommended to Kate by: Minneapolis Central, third floor
Shelves: short-stories
Tired of losing his wallet to pickpockets, my father, at seventy, makes a phony one. He stuffs the phony wallet with expired coupons and losing Florida Lottery tickets and a fortune cookie fortune that reads, "Life is the same old story told over and over."

In a full-length mirror, he tries the wallet in the back pocket of his pants. It hangs out fat with desire. "All oyster," he says to me, "no pearl."

We drive to the mall where he says he lost the last one. I am the wheelman, left behind in the
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 12, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a short attention span
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: what was the question again?
I like the idea of micro fiction. Part of me thinks it's a brilliant wheeze because I'm lazy and have a short attention span and therefore it would be something that I'd be prepared to try to write. I might actually finish a micro story before I got bored and sauntered off. On the flipside I also recognise that it's probably a lot harder to write micro fiction than it would initially appear. So, to that end I've decided to review this micro fiction using the technique of the nano review. All of ...more
hypothermya
Aug 19, 2007 hypothermya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADHD short-story fanatics
Micro Fiction is a collection of short stories. Specifically it's a collection of stories that are 250 words or less. If at this point you're thinking, "There couldn't possibly be any story worth reading that could fit into only 250 words," then perhaps this collection isn't for you. If at this point, you're thinking, "Only 250 words, eh? You mean I don't have to read the first, second, and tenth book in the trilogy in order to get my story fix?," then look no further. This book was specifically ...more
Matt
Micro-fiction has always signified the ability to distill understanding and emotion, and how we communicate those things, down to as little language as possible. It's an exercise many writers indulge in--stories under 500 words, and in this case 250 words (a single printed page)--but to see it taken seriously and done exceptionally well, as more than just an exercise, is eye-opening. This collection accounts for a number of exceptional short shorts, employing a variety of narrative strategies. T ...more
blake
For readers like me who prefer longer stories and novels, this one can feel a little difficult to latch onto. The "stories" are made up of not so much narratives as brief moments (which of course have tiny little stories of their own). Ironically, despite their brevity they really require quite a bit more attention than the huge panorama of a novel, where you can miss some pieces while still comprehending the whole. These require significantly more effort to appreciate, and they tend to run toge ...more
Cyndie Todd
Oct 21, 2011 Cyndie Todd rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short attention spans
I don't know if this book is still in print or not, but it's a great little book to keep around, either in a guest room, in the bathroom, or just handy for a quick story. The stories are extremely short - none taking up more than two pages of an undersized book - yet they really pack a lot of meaning "between the lines." High appeal for the 140 character writer.
Zoom
A quick read of very short (250 word) stories by a variety of writers. Some were superb, others just left me baffled. I'm sure it isn't easy to tell a whole story in so few words.

They take so little time to read that you end up reading a lot of them in a sitting, and then you don't remember any of them.
Cheryl
Put it this way. Only a few of the stories made me interested enough to check the bio. notes at the back. None of them intrigued me enough to come here to look for more by the authors. Capital L Literature, by professors for professors.
Ursula
This is solid collection containing too many terrific stories to list individually. The stronger stories seared themselves into my memory for days while the weaker ones were a jumble of ill-fitting sentences. I definitely plan to revisit this anthology as there's much to learn within its pages.

Memorable/Exquisite Stories:

--This is How I Remember It by Betsy Kemper

--Carpathia by Jesse Lee Kercheval

--Confirmation Names by Mariette Lippo

--A Gentleman's C by Padgett Powell

--The New Year by Pamela P
Robert
There are a few really great stories in here, but most of them are so-so.
Sterling
Some stories were good, some were bad. I didn't take much of it with me.
Billfrog
Despite the shared last name, there's no relation with the editor.

This book is the best bathroom book ever, but I don't mean that in any belittling way at all. Something like 60 short stories, all under 250 words. Word count restriction fostered beautifully precise language, and amazingly complex stories/settings can be created in sparse (verbal) brush strokes. You can be transported and back in 2 minutes.
Tino Prinzi
A great collection of very very short fiction.
Bookstorequeer
There were some gems in this collection and some stories that just plain confused me. Some were verbose to the point of being a 500-word sentence while others I would have gladly continued reading for another thousand words or more. All together, it's something to pick and choose from. I find myself picking up a lot of "flash fiction" type books so this was an interesting one for me.
Valerie
I really liked this book! Every time I read a book like this, there are lots of flash/micro fiction stories that I saw in prose poems anthologies, which is fine by me. Prose poems/micro fiction, call it whatever you want, I really like the form, either way.

I have read a bunch of these before, but it was still nice reading them again.
Stefanie
All of the stories in this collection are 300-words or less, which makes this a great resource for teachers of creative writing. As with most anthologies, I loved some stories more than others. Many of them were overly abstract for my taste. But the book is well worth the small investment it requires (in terms of both time and coin).
Terry
I don't know what I was thinking to even attempt such a book. As a rule I do not approve of short stories - suck it up and write a novel- so why did I think that stories with 250 words or less would be interesting. Some of the stories were interesting - as the first page of a novel, but they did not stand alone and were not memorable.
Dana
This was a really interesting collection of very short stories, and overall I enjoyed reading it. However, some of the "stories" read more like character studies or just plain weird moments in time. Most impressive were the two stories told in a single long sentence - wow. But "Hostess"?? Give me a break.
Tim Lepczyk
It's hard to write about an anthology due to the number of voices and stories represented. This collection brings together a vast array of short short stories and is a must read for anyone interested in that form, or whom suffers from AD/HD.
Don
It was used and had two pieces by Amy Hempel and Stuart Dybek--how could I possibly go wrong? I figured they'd be the best stories of the lot, but I was wrong. They blew me away, but other stories took bigger chunks out of me.
Mike Tager
Pretty awesome. Not every story was amazing, but the ones that were kind of punched you in the gut. A reminder that you don't need 150,000 words to be amazing. If you have the right ones, you can get by with 250-300. Or even less.
Tricia
I was up and down with this one. I really enjoyed most stories, but almost all of the award-winners went over my head. The ones I liked I really enjoyed and the ones I didn't were so short it didn't matter.
Heather
My favorite story in the book is called "Wrong Channel." It's about miscommunication, and it's funny. (By the way, the spell checker on goodreads doesn't recognize "miscommunication" as a word.
Jennie Smith
This is such a great resource for those teaching fiction. My students will be able to read some of these stories super quick and we can discuss the elements. Love this one!!
Rob Stauffer
I cannot get enough of this genre. I've found what I believe to be better collections, but there are definitely some really fun, touching stories in this one.
Yasmin
Great collection of microfiction. 250 word stories let u get a quick read in. Some obviously better than others but a good "micro" read.
Laura Lee
I've been having a hard time focusing since I got back from tour and these stories were just about the right length for my attention sp...
Katie
This collection is uneven, but it's fun and a very quick read. Many of the stories are only okay, but there are a few real gems.
Aran
Interesting. And interesting re-reading it now, thinking about how to present ideas to a creative writing class.
Stacey
I simply love the idea that a whole story can be discovered in 250 words or less. Jerome Stern was brilliant.
  • Sudden Fiction: American Short-Short Stories
  • The Best of Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet
  • McSweeney's #22
  • Wearing Dad's Head
220512
Jerome Stern (1938 (?) - 1996) was the head of the Creative Writing program at Florida State University and taught writing workshops and classes on popular culture.

While at FSU he created the "World's Best Short Short Story Contest" and edited the book Micro Fiction: An Anthology of Fifty Really Short Stories. His other books include Making Shapely Fiction (1990), Florida Dreams (1993), and Radios
More about Jerome Stern...
Making Shapely Fiction Radios: Short Takes On Life And Culture Florida Dreams