Start by marking “خرده داستان‌ها” as Want to Read:
خرده داستان‌ها

خرده داستان‌ها

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  442 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
بهترین داستانهای کوتاهِ کوتاهِ آمریکا (1986-1996) ...more
Published 2008 by مانِ کتاب (first published August 17th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about خرده داستان‌ها, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about خرده داستان‌ها

Kate
Nov 28, 2009 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short short people
Recommended to Kate by: Minneapolis Central, third floor
Shelves: short-stories
Tired of losing his wallet to pickpockets, my father, at seventy, makes a phony one. He stuffs the phony wallet with expired coupons and losing Florida Lottery tickets and a fortune cookie fortune that reads, "Life is the same old story told over and over."

In a full-length mirror, he tries the wallet in the back pocket of his pants. It hangs out fat with desire. "All oyster," he says to me, "no pearl."

We drive to the mall where he says he lost the last one. I am the wheelman, left behind in the
Shovelmonkey1
Jun 12, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with a short attention span
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: what was the question again?
I like the idea of micro fiction. Part of me thinks it's a brilliant wheeze because I'm lazy and have a short attention span and therefore it would be something that I'd be prepared to try to write. I might actually finish a micro story before I got bored and sauntered off. On the flipside I also recognise that it's probably a lot harder to write micro fiction than it would initially appear. So, to that end I've decided to review this micro fiction using the technique of the nano review. All of ...more
hypothermya
Aug 19, 2007 hypothermya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADHD short-story fanatics
Micro Fiction is a collection of short stories. Specifically it's a collection of stories that are 250 words or less. If at this point you're thinking, "There couldn't possibly be any story worth reading that could fit into only 250 words," then perhaps this collection isn't for you. If at this point, you're thinking, "Only 250 words, eh? You mean I don't have to read the first, second, and tenth book in the trilogy in order to get my story fix?," then look no further. This book was specifically ...more
Zoom
Aug 05, 2012 Zoom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read of very short (250 word) stories by a variety of writers. Some were superb, others just left me baffled. I'm sure it isn't easy to tell a whole story in so few words.

They take so little time to read that you end up reading a lot of them in a sitting, and then you don't remember any of them.
Robert
May 21, 2009 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are a few really great stories in here, but most of them are so-so.
Matt
Feb 26, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Micro-fiction has always signified the ability to distill understanding and emotion, and how we communicate those things, down to as little language as possible. It's an exercise many writers indulge in--stories under 500 words, and in this case 250 words (a single printed page)--but to see it taken seriously and done exceptionally well, as more than just an exercise, is eye-opening. This collection accounts for a number of exceptional short shorts, employing a variety of narrative strategies. T ...more
Justin Ahlquist
Jun 15, 2016 Justin Ahlquist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because the book didn't consist of a story that drags on for 200 or more pages and the stories in it are thought provoking and suspenseful. My favorite short story within the novel was "Daydream" by Roberta Allen because again i relate directly to the plot of the story, and i love the idea of family bonding because not enough of it happens anymore. I reccomend this book to anyone who enjoys short stories that leave you thinking and almost always end on a cliff hanger where yo ...more
blakeR
For readers like me who prefer longer stories and novels, this one can feel a little difficult to latch onto. The "stories" are made up of not so much narratives as brief moments (which of course have tiny little stories of their own). Ironically, despite their brevity they really require quite a bit more attention than the huge panorama of a novel, where you can miss some pieces while still comprehending the whole. These require significantly more effort to appreciate, and they tend to run toge ...more
Cyndie Todd
Oct 21, 2011 Cyndie Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short attention spans
I don't know if this book is still in print or not, but it's a great little book to keep around, either in a guest room, in the bathroom, or just handy for a quick story. The stories are extremely short - none taking up more than two pages of an undersized book - yet they really pack a lot of meaning "between the lines." High appeal for the 140 character writer.
Zan
Sep 27, 2015 Zan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: i would not recommend this 2 my roommate
Recommended to Zan by: former roommate's unread syllabus
confession: i've been cheating

context: i am 5 books behind schedule, according to goodreads' 2015 reading challenge. the metric tracks how many books you shoulda completed to keep pace with this year's goal, and, more specifically, how hilariously overconfident the particular user was feeling re: misanthropy and general book reading ability circa early jan. (this works out well for me because my annual new year's resolution is to reject humanity and hide in the comfort of cold, sterile words).
Ursula
Jan 16, 2015 Ursula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flash
This is solid collection containing too many terrific stories to list individually. The stronger stories seared themselves into my memory for days while the weaker ones were a jumble of ill-fitting sentences. I definitely plan to revisit this anthology as there's much to learn within its pages.

Memorable/Exquisite Stories:

--This is How I Remember It by Betsy Kemper

--Carpathia by Jesse Lee Kercheval

--Confirmation Names by Mariette Lippo

--A Gentleman's C by Padgett Powell

--The New Year by Pamela P
Tenley
Apr 07, 2016 Tenley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was basically my first experience reading micro fiction, and I have to say while I enjoyed it, some of the stories left me wanting. Don't get me wrong, many of them were beautifully crafted, almost poetic in their form. But others of them were a little dry and mundane - I almost felt they could be better stories in a longer format.

Essentially I learned that micro fiction is an art form that takes practice and precision to nail. Not every story works in the genre, but if you find one that d
Sterling
Some stories were good, some were bad. I didn't take much of it with me.
Gabe Prepetit
Jun 19, 2016 Gabe Prepetit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before reading this book I didn't really know what a micro fiction was, judging by its name I assumed it would be a short fiction story. This book did have short stories, 2 pages at most and surprisingly the authors were able to put a whole lot of context into 2 pages. Even though half of the stories ended in cliffhangers and left me wishing it had 2 extra pages to find out what happened. Micro fictions are fun to read because they're not time consuming at all and if you don't entirely like the ...more
Cheryl
Mar 26, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, shortstories
As with all collections, not every story between these covers is great, but almost all of them are very good. Writers have to be very good to get across a whole story in less than 300 words. Such short, short fiction makes for a great little waiting-in-line read or to just read all at once, like eating popcorn.
Marianne Wason
Nov 10, 2015 Marianne Wason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had forgotten about this amazing collection of short short stories till I came across it in our bookshelves. Looking forward to reading them all again. Some are truly first-rate.
Andy Anaya
Apr 08, 2015 Andy Anaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andy by: Megan Hunt
I enjoyed this book very much. The themes in these short stories have such a capacity to hit HARD! One of my favorites was “Carpathia” by Jesse Lee Kercheval
Billfrog
Sep 16, 2007 Billfrog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite the shared last name, there's no relation with the editor.

This book is the best bathroom book ever, but I don't mean that in any belittling way at all. Something like 60 short stories, all under 250 words. Word count restriction fostered beautifully precise language, and amazingly complex stories/settings can be created in sparse (verbal) brush strokes. You can be transported and back in 2 minutes.
Santino Prinzi
Jan 22, 2014 Santino Prinzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of very very short fiction.
Bookstorequeer
There were some gems in this collection and some stories that just plain confused me. Some were verbose to the point of being a 500-word sentence while others I would have gladly continued reading for another thousand words or more. All together, it's something to pick and choose from. I find myself picking up a lot of "flash fiction" type books so this was an interesting one for me.
Valerie
Jan 21, 2012 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! Every time I read a book like this, there are lots of flash/micro fiction stories that I saw in prose poems anthologies, which is fine by me. Prose poems/micro fiction, call it whatever you want, I really like the form, either way.

I have read a bunch of these before, but it was still nice reading them again.
Stefanie
All of the stories in this collection are 300-words or less, which makes this a great resource for teachers of creative writing. As with most anthologies, I loved some stories more than others. Many of them were overly abstract for my taste. But the book is well worth the small investment it requires (in terms of both time and coin).
Terry
Sep 09, 2011 Terry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I don't know what I was thinking to even attempt such a book. As a rule I do not approve of short stories - suck it up and write a novel- so why did I think that stories with 250 words or less would be interesting. Some of the stories were interesting - as the first page of a novel, but they did not stand alone and were not memorable.
Jennifer Worrell
Incredible collection in a tiny format. Especially The Poet's Husband (Giles), The New Year (Painter), All This (Avallon), This Is How I Remember It (Kemper), and November (Hegi). The stories by Giles, Kemper, and Hegi have stuck with me for years. Also, oddly enough, they are single sentences.

Dana
Feb 03, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting collection of very short stories, and overall I enjoyed reading it. However, some of the "stories" read more like character studies or just plain weird moments in time. Most impressive were the two stories told in a single long sentence - wow. But "Hostess"?? Give me a break.
Tim Lepczyk
It's hard to write about an anthology due to the number of voices and stories represented. This collection brings together a vast array of short short stories and is a must read for anyone interested in that form, or whom suffers from AD/HD.
Don
Dec 26, 2007 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was used and had two pieces by Amy Hempel and Stuart Dybek--how could I possibly go wrong? I figured they'd be the best stories of the lot, but I was wrong. They blew me away, but other stories took bigger chunks out of me.
Michael B Tager
Dec 09, 2013 Michael B Tager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty awesome. Not every story was amazing, but the ones that were kind of punched you in the gut. A reminder that you don't need 150,000 words to be amazing. If you have the right ones, you can get by with 250-300. Or even less.
Tricia
Nov 08, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I was up and down with this one. I really enjoyed most stories, but almost all of the award-winners went over my head. The ones I liked I really enjoyed and the ones I didn't were so short it didn't matter.
Heather
Jul 24, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite story in the book is called "Wrong Channel." It's about miscommunication, and it's funny. (By the way, the spell checker on goodreads doesn't recognize "miscommunication" as a word.
  • Sudden Fiction: American Short-Short Stories
  • Dark Destiny: Proprietors of Fate
  • McSweeney's #22
  • The Best Small Fictions 2015
220512
Jerome Stern (1938 (?) - 1996) was the head of the Creative Writing program at Florida State University and taught writing workshops and classes on popular culture.

While at FSU he created the "World's Best Short Short Story Contest" and edited the book Micro Fiction: An Anthology of Fifty Really Short Stories. His other books include Making Shapely Fiction (1990), Florida Dreams (1993), and Radios
More about Jerome Stern...