Start by marking “Deadpool Pulp” as Want to Read:
Deadpool Pulp

Deadpool Pulp (Deadpool: Pulp (1-4))

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  452 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
It's the Merc with a Mouth in a pulp caper filled with lies, spies and shapely thighs, courtesy of Mike Benson & Adam Glass (Deadpool: Suicide Kings, Luke Cage Noir) and Laurence Campbell (Punisher)! Wade Wilson. Codename: Deadpool. He's the CIA's deadliest agent. He's also certifiably insane, suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder and haunted by the ghosts of hi ...more
Published March 30th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Deadpool Pulp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadpool Pulp

Gavin
Jan 03, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, moving Deadpool to the 50s Cold War America. The art is the highlight for me, and this Wade is more believable than many other versions. Cable has a small role here, as does Stryfe, in a plot that's not super original, and has been done better by others, but compared to 90s Deadpool? This is waaaay better.

Sean Phillips-esque artwork, enjoyable little story here, fun. However if you don't like time period transplanted heroes, then this won't work for you.
Sam Quixote
Aug 24, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
Marvel takes some of its most beloved characters and transplants them to the early 20th century in this series of books, Noir. Deadpool gets the same treatment in "Pulp" placed as he is between WW2 and Vietnam. The plot is that America and Russia are deep in the Cold War and Outlaw is stealing a briefcase of nuclear secrets from the Americans for her Communist masters - what she didn't count on was her former lover, Deadpool, out to stop her.

The story is pulpy enough for the series, lots of men
Sesana
Jul 17, 2012 Sesana rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
So the idea here is to take Deadpool, depower him, and adjust him (and Cable, for that matter) to a 50s pulp style. What we end up with is a slightly grimmer Deadpool, a former POW who is, among other things, one thumb lighter. Here, he's hired to avert nuclear disaster by going up against old flame Outlaw. There's some really good scenes here, and some fantastically atmospheric art. The storyline is pretty solid, but maybe a little ambitious for just four issues to cover. It was a different loo ...more
Logan
Jan 05, 2016 Logan rated it really liked it
Very good! Wow so I actually read this series a long time ago, I cant't believe i'm only reviewing it now! So Deadpool Pulp, is the origin before the origin? I don't know its set before he goes to weapon x and gets his powers, in this series he's just an ordinary Merc, who talks to much! But ya Wade, finds out he has cancer, and he has one last job! But ya pretty good, and definitely a nice read for Deadpool fans!
Daniela Barisone
Jul 23, 2012 Daniela Barisone rated it really liked it
Con Deadpool Pulp siamo alle prese con un albo what-if? tipico delle recenti uscite Marvel (come Marvel Zombie, Fiabe Marvel, etc.). Siamo in piena Guerra Fredda, nonostante l’ambientazione anni ’50 tanto cara al genere pulp e noir.

Ci troviamo alle prese con un eccentrico Wade Wilson incaricato di trovare a ogni costo una misteriosa valigetta nelle mani di una misteriosa sicaria. A essere mandati a caccia sono un Deadpool e tutte le sue personalità multiple da psicotico, anche se il personaggio
Darth Andrew
Aug 14, 2015 Darth Andrew rated it did not like it
This was so boring, I can't believe I finished it.
Mike
Dec 17, 2011 Mike rated it it was ok
The storytelling style starts you off at a nice jog, giving you time to get adjusted but not too comfortable. It's not entirely clear what all the panels mean and that's a great way to get a smart brain like mine engaged from the get-go - don't tell *me* I won't be able to follow this :)

Once the novelty wears off (or once I caught up - not sure which) it became readily apparent that whoever wrote the dialogue likes noir without actually wanting to work for it. There were so many cliched lines I
Nathan
Jan 21, 2011 Nathan rated it liked it
Good but not great is what comes to mind when I think about Deadpool Pulp. The storyline is simple: a nuclear briefcase is stolen by Outlaw, a former agent and Deadpool is recruited to help stop her. The plot twists are obvious however given the nature of the story, this seems appropriate. The artwork by Lawrence Campbell resembles that of Dave Aja and compliments the writing, the final battle between Outlaw and Deadpool is well done. A problem with this work is that there is minimal action betw ...more
Tays
Apr 10, 2014 Tays rated it really liked it
Well let's just say it was good but not great.

Deadpool: Pulp brings you back into the early 20th century where America and Russia is in a middle of Cold War. Deadpool's alter ego, Wade Wilson, is primarily the main character. Without his superhuman abilites, he is portrayed as CIA operative under Cable, who is also a depowered being in this book. It's more of an origin story where the ending seems to be a build up to the Deadpool we all love and like now. It's basically what you would get if De
Gayle Francis Moffet
(More 3-1/2 than 3. Oh, when will Goodreads allow the half-star?!)

I love me some Deadpool alternate universe; it's always fun to see what writers will do with him when they toss him into something less wacky and more about the dark underbelly. Deadpool Pulp is, as the title suggests, a pulp story. Wade Wilson, one of the greatest soldiers from World War II is a CIA operative who's lost his marbles due to torture he sustained as a POW. But he's still the best there is when the job calls for it, a
Marquis Cooper
Dec 17, 2015 Marquis Cooper rated it really liked it
Wow! I'll be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from this. I absolutely loved it. it wasn't perfect but what is? Personally it had everything I love in a nuclear espionage lol. Deadpool's "voices" were hilarious throughout, providing the comedy we are used to from Deadpool himself. Plot twist and a well executed love story had me in the 3 star range. extra star given for the art. do fat in the Noir series i have read, Luke Cage, Daredevil and now Deadpool...Luke Cage is my favorite but for me ...more
Shelley
Set during the Cold War, psychologically damaged WW2 POW turned US operative Deadpool is called in when Outlaw steals a nuclear suitcase. I love the idea of this, which suited the character well, and I love all these noir universes (this one also had Fury and Bucky as potential operatives, which made me wonder what Cap was up to, as well). I usually dig espionage stories, but this one sounded more interesting than it was. It had some great beats, but overall, never really turned into a great sto ...more
Aaron
Apr 08, 2015 Aaron rated it it was ok
My entire takeaway from this pointless book was "It could've been worse." Benson just plain has no idea how to write Deadpool. After the awful Suicide Kings and his stories from Team-Up and the Deadpool 900/1000 books, I think it's safe to write him off as an author I'll ever be interested in again. He just writes the most cliche, boring stuff, and tries SO HARD to make his dialogue "cool." Instead, everything feels flat at best, confusing at worst.

He seems to focus so much on making his dialogu
Nicole Bunge
Dec 13, 2012 Nicole Bunge rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love me some Deadpool, but I'll admit I passed this one over a few times before picking it up. (once again it falls into the 'xmas present for my sister that, oh no, I'm just gonna have to read it before she gets it' pile. La la la...)

It's pulp, so it's cliche, and noir. These are not bad things, because, well, what Deadpool does best (besides kill people) is break the 4th wall and put a very silly spin on conventions.
Except, well... he doesn't. This isn't hilarious hijinks. They play the sto
Dmitry Yakovenko
Aug 17, 2012 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Вместо слова Noir, в название красуется слово Pulp, но суть не особо изменилась, ведь это все еще том об альтернативной версии героя Marvel, который живет в середине XX века, разве только, нуар и качественные монологи вообще исчезли из сюжета. Зато комикс не особо отличается от своих собратьев рисунком. В рисунке больше не преобладают темные тона, но он так же отвратен, как и некоторая часть работ художников из других томов Marvel Noir. А вот чем это комикс может гордится, так это действительно ...more
Ana
Jun 24, 2012 Ana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every single human ever.
I would say that at first I was wary of this comic, but that would be the most blatant lie ever. Not only is Deadpool one of my favorite characters from Marvel, I love noir and pulp stylings. The art in this volume is gorgeous, the storyline is beyond amazing and the writing is just I can't even put to words. I am admittedly biased when it comes to Deadpool, though. It's an awesome retelling, or rather reworking, of Deadpool's story - from his back story to how he became who he was.

The time sett
Nicolas Ronvel
Apr 09, 2012 Nicolas Ronvel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sold
Une lecture rapide, mais sans grand intérêt. Je ne connais pas très bien le personnage de Deadpool, mais j'avais trouvé plutôt bien réussis certains volets "Noir" de Marvel. Ici, je n'ai pas vraiment retrouvé le Pulp annoncé sur la couverture, ou alors, je n'ai pas la même définition que les auteurs / éditeurs. L'histoire se passe au début de la guerre froide, dans les années de la chasse aux communistes. Mais c'est vraiment une toile de fond légère. On n'y revient quasiment pas.

L'histoire aurai
K
Dec 22, 2011 K rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: DP fans, noir comics fans, everyone I can get to look in my direction for more than two minutes?
This is a-ma-zing. Everything about this, I adored. The art, the story, the characters. Deadpool and Cable and Outlaw and Stryfe. Everyone is so brilliantly AU and I really enjoyed the way it was much more serious and less crack-addled than is usual in a Deadpool story. Though the fact that they kept in the voices and kept it in character while not straying into ridiculous (which I love too, don't get me wrong) wins this book major points from me.

This story was so utterly satisfying. I've read i
Alicia Du Toit
3.5 stars. I like that it was gritty and I loved the noir feel to it, but the plot was a bit thin and I didn't get the true deadpool feel out of it. Not bad, but not great either.
Sara Winston
Aug 01, 2014 Sara Winston rated it did not like it
Not your usual funny wade we know and love, I found it disappointing
Joe
Oct 17, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
Deadpool revisited in a very noir kinda way.
Mindy Reads
Nov 20, 2014 Mindy Reads rated it really liked it
Beautiful art and good story.
Aline
Jan 05, 2016 Aline rated it did not like it
Oui, mais non.
Seth
Nov 16, 2014 Seth rated it liked it
Eh...
Lindsey.parks
Jun 15, 2012 Lindsey.parks rated it liked it
I liked this, but I felt like this could have been better. I feel like Deadpool could have been more ruthless, and the voices in his head could have been more present. However, I realize this was only 4 issues, and I like what was done. When he threw his fake thumb at the psychologist, my immediate reaction was "damn." The last two issues were really great, I was eager to see how it ended. The twist at the end was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed this, but I felt like it could have been a bit bett ...more
Scott
Sep 14, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read one of Marvel's Noir novels and hated it. Luckily that wasn't the case when I picked this up. THIS book was great. A great retelling of some of my favorite Marvel characters (Deadpool, Cable - though that pairing is not surprising, though at least Cable's role is different).

Nice nuclear threat element and a compelling story. Check it out!
Artur Coelho
Jul 22, 2013 Artur Coelho rated it did not like it
Deadpool é um personagem que me anda a atrair a atenção por permitir um lado irreverente à Marvel. Mas nesta série que se quer levada a sério a irreverência anda arredada numa tentativa de conferir uma origem trágica ao mercenário psicótico. O melhor? As fabulosas capas de Jae Lee. O pior? Tudo o resto neste festival de tédio.
Travis Olson
Jul 22, 2013 Travis Olson rated it liked it
Deadpool is my favorite super"hero" so I thought I would peruse this limited series to check it out. I appreciated the new take, but I cannot honestly say I enjoyed it. It was interesting to see the more realistic interpretations of the characters but it was just not Deadpool enough for me.
zxvasdf
Aug 16, 2011 zxvasdf rated it liked it
Not my favorite installment of the Deadpool Canon of Insanity, but it's actually a good read for fans of noir. Deadpool hunts down a former love to retrieve the suitcase nuke she's stolen. This is an origin story, and I would read the subsequent stories, if there were any.
Subroto
Aug 22, 2013 Subroto rated it liked it
What I did not like about this book too many things

for starters - it is difficult to follow in the beginning
The art aint much to talk about
Somehow it seems like "me also noir"

What I like about this book

Its very unlike the Deadpool you read these days

• Deadpool: Operation Annihilation (Deadpool, #8)
  • Deadpool Classic, Vol. 4