Start by marking “The Bully of Barkham Street” as Want to Read:
The Bully of Barkham Street

The Bully of Barkham Street (Barkham Street #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  13 reviews
What made Martin Hastings, the ‘bully’ of A Dog on Barkham Street, behave the way he did? Martin resolves problems of his own in ‘a sensitive study of a lonely, frustrated boy. The [family] relationships are exceptionally well drawn.’ —BL. Boys’ Club of America Junior Book Award 1964
Published October 2nd 1985 by HarperCollins (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Bully of Barkham Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bully of Barkham Street

The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettMatilda by Roald DahlNate Rocks the World by Karen Pokras Toz
Books for nine-year-olds
375th out of 420 books — 340 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Giver by Lois LowryRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William Shakespeare
Read These In School - Liked Them Anyway
281st out of 339 books — 464 voters

More lists with this book...

I could tell you what it’s like to be an awkward chubby boy in elementary school—what it's like to rely on a rambunctious dog for friendship after school, only to have your parents give the dog away because it’s, well, too rambunctious. Regrettably, I even know what it’s like to transfer all that prepubescent anxiety into bullying other kids. But instead of telling you all that I’ll simply recommend reading this wonderful book. Sorry, mine is not available for resale. I read a school-owned copy ...more
Mary Stolz sympathetically explained how bullies are made, not born.
Richard Bennett
I first read this back in 1966 while in 4th grade from our classroom library. I can remember being glued to it, hoping I had enough time to finish it before school ended, because I might get side-tracked and not be able to finish. I was amazed that an author, Mary Stolz, was able to capture the anger of a young man growing up, trapped in a world where he wasn't able to control his own destiny, wasn't able to make his own decisions, where everyone told him what to do and when to do it. I had a lo ...more
This pairs with A Dog on Barkham Street. The story covers the same events, only from a different character's point of view - this time from the "bully's" point of view. Very interesting!
Christian Guevara
1)I saw this book at a book fair, and the summery seemed interesting so I decided that it would be a good book to read.
2)"The Bully of Barkham Street" is about a boy with a bad reputation, a family that never listens, and a constant bully. He realizes that changes need to be made, but that the biggest change must come from him.
3)My favorite quote, wasn't really a quote, it was the slogan for the book. "Not all bully's want to be bad", I like this quote because it shows that Martin, the main char
Shanna Gonzalez
Martin is a deeply lonely preadolescent boy who earns a reputation for picking on children smaller than himself. He is self-absorbed, self-pitying, a compulsive liar, and a thief, and constantly justifies himself when challenged. This book follows his muted coming-of-age, as he turns from his destructive behavior and attempts to live down his reputation. His escapades are sometimes funny, but more often embarrassing as his bad behavior brings him humiliation and shame.

Martin’s bad behavior grows
Darrell Reimer
Martin Hastings is The Bully of Barkham Street, and it should be said at the outset that he is not one of those feral creatures who dominates a pack and torments the weak and wounded. He is a loner, but not by choice. Martin has a vivid imagination, and is prone to eager overcompensation whenever someone offers him friendship. This usually concludes in a comic mishap that squelches the earlier promise.

His older sister is fussing over potential boyfriends, both his parents work — his father until
Chelsy Nicole
I love this book because my Mom bought it. Seriously, I like everything she buys for me. It's too special coming from her.

Anyway, I have read this book so many times because I always forget where I left off. Rereading this book countless times is crazy but I'm sure that every time I reread it, I always understood what Martin is going through. The Bully of Barkham Street is very relatable to me.

The book is about a bully named Martin Hastings. Like Martin, I'm not very patient and I easily get m
Reliving my childhood by reading books I read then. I saw much in this book now that I didn't when I was young. Martin's dog Rufus has been given to another family because Martin was not responsible enough in caring for Rufus, which causes Martin to backslide and start gaining weight. He has a distant relationship with his family and few friends at the beginning of this book. Martin's longing for connection with his family, particularly his father, is so sad. When his teacher calls him out for n ...more
Although this book is a bit dated I wish there were more stories like this. The book followed a bully through his life, at time even he didn't understand why he acted the way he did. I enjoyed this way more than expected!
I still remember this book from my childhood. I loved how the author was able to show the two different sides to the story - See The Dog of Barkham Street - and allows kids to see the inner problems of bullies.
This is one of my favorite children's books. Mary truly makes you feel for the bully in the story. One leaves with a good understanding of the psychology behind some bullies.
Aug 08, 2012 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cub Scouts
Martin wasn't a bad egg, but a suffering soul. This is a mirror book to A Dog on Barkham Street--many of the same events, but from Martin's point of view.
Feb 19, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
Raymell marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Sadey-Ellen marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Lexi marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Thom added it
May 27, 2015
Marybeth marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Katherin marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Barkham Street (3 books)
  • A Dog on Barkham Street
  • The Explorer of Barkham Street
The Noonday Friends Cat in the Mirror A Dog on Barkham Street Storm in the Night The Sea Gulls Woke Me