Start by marking “Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)

Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers 0.5)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,154 ratings  ·  142 reviews
"Retro Demonology" is a Demon Trapper's bonus story, from bestselling young adult fantasy author Jana Oliver.

Before Riley Blackthorne can take on Grade Five demons, she has to trap her very first. Her debut solo trapping experience should be a breeze, just a harmless Grade One after all. But throw in some dippy hippies (whose peace signs and Patchouli really aren't driving
Published December 17th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Retro Demonology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Retro Demonology

Divergent by Veronica RothUnearthly by Cynthia HandSilence by Becca FitzpatrickLast Sacrifice by Richelle MeadCrescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Fav 2011 ya reads
165th out of 168 books — 75 voters
Unearthly by Cynthia HandNightshade by Andrea CremerBeautiful Creatures by Kami GarciaAcross the Universe by Beth RevisEvermore by Alyson Noel
Best YA books with Purple on the cover
167th out of 181 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
You can (and should) read Retro Demonology for free HERE.

A hippie couple calls the Guild about a first level demon (Biblio-Fiend) and Riley is sent to go catch it as part of her training. It’s the first time Riley’s allowed to hunt a demon without her father, who is also her mentor. It turns out that the Biblio demon showed up because the couple owns a copy of Milton’s Paradise Lost - it’s only natural that all Biblio demons want to destroy those! Poor Riley is forced to read parts of Moby Dick
Retro Demonology is a free short story that can be read online HERE. It is a prequel to Jana Oliver's Demon Trapper's series but it is only a few pages long so don't expect too much detail. I absolutely love this series so it's one I'd highly recommend but if you're not sure about whether to start it or not then this should give you enough of a taster to decide whether you want to try Forsaken (that's the UK name, it was released as The Demon Trapper's Daughter in the US) or not.

This short intro
AH
Free downloaded short story - downloaded from Kobobooks.com

7/16/11 - No longer available at Kobo, but I found it here

Not bad, kind of a cute little short story about a girl that traps demons. The first 2 chapters of The Demon Trapper's Daughter were also included.

I might just have to find the book to read later on.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Originally reviewed by Rabid Reads: http://www.rabidreads.com/2011/06/review-retro-demonology-by-jana-oliver.html

Don't confuse Retro Demonology with a novella, because it's definitely more of a short story (if that makes any sense). It's also available as a free download and is only a handful of pages in length so remember to take that into consideration before deciding to read it. However, if you're reluctant to commit to A Demon Trapper's Daughter, the first full-length book of Jana Oliver's n
Amanda
This is a very short story that introduces the Demon Trapper series and includes a bonus of the first two chapters of Forsaken. Setting is 2018, Atlanta, GA. A time where demons terrorize the city. These are no ordinary demons, but demons hell bent on destroying books. These are some foul mouthed little creatures, at least the ones introduced in this story and the beginning of book one, who flip the bird and pee on the trapper and other victims. There are 5 grades of demon, and given that the ma ...more
Janus Vielle (The Blair Book Project)
Retro Demonology is a bonus short story from the Demon Trappers series. I thought I’d try this first before starting on the series, just so I can get an idea about what this series is about.

This story was about Riley’s first ever solo assignment. She usually goes off with her father but now she must prove that she can handle trapping a demon on her own.

I got to grasp the concept of her job and what she and her people do, but I really don’t get what’s so bad about taking care of a Grade One dem
Danny
Apr 11, 2012 Danny rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Danny by: Bee
Just read this on-line there the now. i have a friend who's into this series so i thought i'd check it out for myself and i have to say it was not at all bad. From the covers of the other books in the series, i made the assumption that this series would be more girly but from what i just read it would seem that it is aimed at both genders. If the other books in the series are anything like this one, i will defo be reading them!
Aimeekay
Despite the shortness of the story, it literally took me less than 15 minutes to read, I really enjoyed Retro Demonology.
I think the book offers a really good window into Riley's world and into her mind as well. I love the "retro" fad that is sweeping her city. People completely immersing themselves in a particular time period sounds like so much fun!There are the demons. The reader only gets to meet a Grade One, but the introduction is just enticing enough to want to meet more. Then there is R
Cathy  Keaton
This is another of many ebook-only prequels to a novel series meant to get you to read the first book's preview. Well, I don't mind if that's the only purpose of the story, but I'd like an interesting story that gets me … well, interested in reading further material. I think this very short story (which took up only 33 percent of my Kindle file) is actually funny, but there isn't much conflict.

Riley Blackthorne is a teenage demon trapper in a near-future Atlanta, Georgia that is aware of its dem
Cindy

Riley Blackthorne is the daughter of legendary master trapper, Paul Blackthorne. She has a lot to live up to. She has just gotten her license and is now going out to trap demons on her own.

Retro Demonology was surprisingly good. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't this.

Here we have demons called Biblio who hate books and like to pee on people. The difference between a trapper and a hunter is trappers simply capture demons, whereas hunters kill them.

It was a little like Supe
Ashley
I downloaded Retro Demonology after I finished A Demon Trapper's Daughter because I loved the world that Jana Oliver created so much and I wanted more of it. At that time, the sequel hadn't been released yet, and I was wanting more of Riley's kick butt-ness. It's only a short story, a very short story, 15 pages, so don't expect a full length novel or anything. It's just a quick foray into Riley's first trapping mission alone. If you haven't read A Demon Trapper's Daughter yet, I definitely recom ...more
Karissa
This story is a prelude story to the book the Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver which is due out beginning of February 2011. This is a very, very short story. It takes maybe 10 minutes to read. The majority of the download is an excerpt from the beginning of the book The Demon Trapper's Daughter...which I didn't read because I don't like reading excerpts (also I already have an ARC of the Demon Trapper's Daughter that I am hoping to read next week).

The story introduces an interesting world
Rachel
Retro Demonology is a prequel short story about Riley Blackthorne’s first solo trapping experience. (The free download from Amazon also includes a sneak peek at The Demon Trapper’s Daughter which will be released in February.)

Even in 2018 people in Atlanta are still into retro, and Riley’s first assignment is to catch her demon in the home of a couple who dig the ’60s. Riley is the daughter of Master Trapper Paul Blackthorne, but trapping demons never seems to go quite so easily for her as it do
Nicole
Cute little short story. Not much in the way of characterization, and after reading the entire Demon Trapper's series before this, it wasn't nearly as entertaining. With Riley's luck I was expecting a lot more trouble in this story, but it was nice for her to get a bit of a break too, even if it was before the events of the main story where she really needed the break. The writing itself was still very good however, I like the style Oliver goes with for this series. Even though I only gave this ...more
Sophia
I love Railey so much that reading this short stories are like giving a little kid a candy :) I would be more than happy if Jana writes more books about Beck and Riley because their journey never ends and it is full with amazing adventures and stories.
It is always funny to read how Riley was clumsie in the beginnig and how much she put all her trust and her life in her Dad and much she actually cared about him.
Kat
Looks like this series might have potential but this was incredibly short. There was not much build up which makes me worry that the actual first book will suffer from the same problem.
Edit: after finishing the first 2 chapters of the book included with the prequel, my opinion has changed. The writing has improved somewhat & there it appears there is potential for both romance & comedy now that a second character has been introduced. It's not that I doubted there would be romance (this
Alex Bennett
Having never experienced any of Jana Oliver’s work, I was curious to see what her writing would be like. Once I discovered Retro Demonology, I knew this was the perfect way to find out if I wanted to read more of Oliver’s work. And thanks to this story, I cannot wait to get my hands on the first book in the Demon Trapper’s series.

From page one, I was hooked. The world built is so fresh and new, and kept me wanting more with each page. The concept is fresh and unique, and I can’t wait to read mor
Bethany
Apr 10, 2012 Bethany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Demon Trappers Fans, Jana Oliver Fans
I had already read Forsaken, Forbidden and Forgiven before i read this story and was already familiar with the character of Riley Blackthorne so it was good to find out what things were like for her in the very beginning. Just like the rest of the books in the Demon Trappers series, Retro Demonology was amazing, i only wish that it had been longer because just as i was really getting into it, it ended.
Anila
Jul 15, 2011 Anila marked it as to-read
Yay iBooks freebies! Even when they're a) mostly excerpts from a book I've already read and b) stories that kind of wander around aimlessly.

That said, I'm glad to have read Retro Demonology, if only because it serves as a really nice piece of worldbuilding. The idea of 'Retros' and how completely in denial they are is both sad and funny at the same time, and while the ones who appeared in this story seemed a little too exaggerated to be believable, they were still amusing. It was also nice to se
Myhotstylist
O My GOSH!
this was such a cute intro to this series, and it makes me VERY excited to get my hands on the first book.

Our main character is a Demon Trapper in training and is sent to her first job alone to pick up a tiny little demon who destroys books. He house she goes to is inhabbited by a couple of retro dressed hippies. In order to trap the demon, she reads to him the most boreing literature she can find until he passes out. Once in her car he gets out of his prison (a sippie cup) while she
Dana
Riley is on her first trap alone. In the university law library in Atlanta. Its just a level 1 biblio demon nothing big should go off without a hitch...Yeah right!

The trap goes well at first but quickly turns into a nightmare when it appears there is another demon involved. With all the damage the authorities are called in. Her father Paul a master demon trapper can't come because he is caught up in his own job. This leaves Beck another apprentice that Riley used to have a crush on...after verba
Jessica
This was a real quick read for me this morning, so it will be hard to review since it was only so many pages. Basically Riley goes on her first demon trapping by herself to get a demon, but it's in a house with hippies!

So being rather fast and really only getting a glimpse at Riley's life it was an okay read. Since it was a freebie from Amazon, I'm not totally disappointed, but it's not one you really have to read if you're not up to it.

It just seemed a little pointless in some ways. Still somew
Dawn Vanniman
This is a cute little prequel to THE DEMON TRAPPER'S DAUGHTER. In it you meet Riley who is an apprentice Demon Trapper. Her dad is a Master and he has sent her out on a job alone.

This is an alternate world of course, demons have gotten access to Earth and roam free causing anything from small chaos to death. Riley is only allowed to go on Class One assignments right now. Some people can't understand or even stand the thought that the world has gone in a different direction and they have chosen
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
A simple yet well-written story with enough background and quirky elements to entice me to head over to Amazon and immediately download Forsaken. Until I saw the words "love square" in the reviews. No. I'm not going there. I'll wait for the sequel's reviews to let me know whether it's safe to continue. It's a shame because it has potential. It reminded me of Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan adventures.
Rebecca A. Rogers
This was an interesting prequel to the series. I liked how demons are classified into separate categories, according to their threat level.

In Retro Demonology, Riley Blackthorne is on a mission to capture her first demon. She can’t mess this up, if she wants to prove she’s actually worth something. But the hippies with the demon problem, and the actual demon itself, may prove to be a bit of a challenge. Can Riley outsmart the mini demon, or will this job prove to be too difficult?

Overall, it was
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
This is a very short story that introduces you to Riley Blackthorne. Riley is a 17 year old demon trapper on her first solo trapping. She answers a call to a house to trap a Grand-One Biblo Demon, which the lowest grand demon. The Biblo is 3 inches tall and loves to running amuck by spraying its green urine all over everything and giving everyone in its path the finger.

Just when Riley thinks she has the demon contained it gets loose from the Sippy cup and causes a car accident.

Retro Demonology
Joshua Degley
This was just a short story, a prequel, to the series, but I thought it was very interesting. The author did an excellent job of describing the important aspects of the story and not getting bogged down in to much detail.
melissa
Cute, very short tale of Riley's first solo demon trapping assignment that is later hinted at in book 4.
Carina
This was a pretty short read since it only took about ten minutes. I've had the first book of this series in my 'to-read' list for awhile now and when I saw this preface for free kindle download on Amazon I got it right away and started reading. It's more like a short story of sorts, telling of the first real demon trapping that Riley ever did on her own. I can only say that this short definitely made me more excited to read The Demon Trapper's Daughter.
Marsha
Jun 22, 2011 Marsha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older young adults
Wow! What a disappointment. "Retro Demonology" is a prequel to "The Demon Trapper's" series. The reason I gave it 2 stars is because before you begin reading, it is over. It is so short it almost wasn't worth the author's time and energy writing it. I figure Ms. Oliver must have written this as the introduction to the first book in the series, "The Demon Trapper's Daughter" and the editors deleted it from the book. Don't get me wrong, it is well written and somewhat interesting but it just is no ...more
  • Remedial Magic (Faeriewalker, #0.5)
  • Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Beasts and BFFs (13 to Life, #0.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Cat Calls
  • Reaper (Soul Screamers, #3.5)
  • An Unwanted Hunger
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Turned at Dark (Shadow Falls, #0.5)
  • Intuition (Intangible, #0.5)
  • The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Bite of Silence (Biting Love, #3)
  • What A Demon Wants (New Orleans Vampires, #4)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely #2.5-.6)
Jana Oliver is an international bestselling author who lives in Atlanta, Georgia.

Her novels have won numerous awards, including the Prism Award, the Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery and Supense as well as the National Readers' Choice Award.

Her novels cross many genres, including Young Adult (the Demon Trappers Series, Briar Rose), time travel/historical mystery (The Time Rovers S
More about Jana Oliver...
Forsaken (The Demon Trappers, #1) Forbidden (The Demon Trappers, #2) Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3) Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4) Briar Rose

“Ah, that's your problem," Riley said, relieved to be on familiar ground. "You've got a copy of Paradise Lost
in your house. Biblios hate Milton. Same with Dante, C.S. Lewis and most holy books. They'll go after those every time.”
4 likes