Start by marking “Stormcrow Castle” as Want to Read:
Stormcrow Castle

Stormcrow Castle

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  20 reviews
On visiting Stormcrow Castle, Helena Carlisle is disturbed to find that her aunt, the housekeeper, has disappeared. Helena takes on the role of the new housekeeper and it is not long before strange incidents begin to unnerve her. The castle's owner, Simon, Lord Torkrow, frequents the graveyard at night; the portrait gallery conceals a secret room; identities are hidden at ...more
Published September 28th 2007 by Robert Hale

To ask other readers questions about Stormcrow Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stormcrow Castle

Susan
I'm torn about what to say about this book. In many respects, I really enjoyed it. But in others, it wasn't so good.

The atmosphere was creative and gothic-y enough, the descriptions of everyday activities and the responsibilities of the housekeeper were well described. In these elements I think the author shined.

However, the mystery was not the greatest. The housekeeper's questioning of the servants - like every time she saw them - was awkward and I didn't get a complete feel for any of the char
Ok- I was not impressed. The author obviously loves everything Jane Austen/ Bronte, but just can not compare to those greats. Stormcrow Castle was a complete wannabe Jane Eyre- you know the Gothic castle, the dark mysterious master/lord of the castle with a dark secret, a servant girl falling deeply in love with the master... It was so like Jane Eyre. Charlotte Bronte knew how to develop her characters so that you knew them. I never felt like I really got to know Lord Torkrow. I think I am done ...more
Amy
I am a big fan of Amanda Grange's writing, and this book did not disappoint!

The main character is a young lady called Helena Carlisle who goes to visit her aunt who is the housekeeper at Stormcrow Castle. Helena was raised in gentility but since the death of her parents has fallen on hard times and is forced to work for a living. She has received an offer of marriage from a man who is kind and decent and would look after her, but she doesn't love him and is unsure of whether to accept him. She g
Esme
Amanda Grange gehört zu den Autoren, die ihre Backlist als eBook neu veröffentlichen. Castle of Secrets ist bereits als Stormcrow Castle erschienen und eine Gothic Novel oder Regency Romance. Helena Castle tritt unter falschem Namen die Stelle der Haushälterin in einem einsam gelegenen Schloss an. Eigentlich wollte sie dort nur ihre Tante besuchen, doch sie erfährt, dass diese unter mysteriösen Umständen abreiste. Und so stellt sie ihre Nachforschungen an.

Diese Art von Gaslicht-Romanen lese ich
Michelle
Promising plot fails due to shallow writing.

Every portion of this book seemed forced. The author seemed too eager to cram "gothic" into every moment instead of letting the plot and characters develop. Several truly eye-rolling scenes. Frankly the last chapters in their entirety were laughably overwrought.
Of Cake and Science
This book was so good I couldn't put it down and read it all over the space of a couple of days. I really love the gothic romance genre but it is often difficult to find.

This book had all the classic elements, spooky dark castle on the moors, secrets, sinister servant, secret passages, noises in the attic... but still it kept you guessing all the way through.

I was attracted to the book by its cover and title, not realising I already own one of her books 'Mr Darcy Vampyre' which is on my to read
Dpic
Feb 06, 2014 Dpic added it
old fashioned Cookson style
Isolde
I would give this book more of a 3.5. It's about Helena Carlisle who goes to Stormcrow Castle to visit her aunt, who is the housekeeper there. However, Helena discovers that her aunt is missing and that she is mistaken for the new housekeeper. She doesn't reveal her true identity and stays on as the housekeeper in order to figure out what happened to her aunt. While I like the mystery part of the book, I thought the romance between Helena and Lord Torkrow was a bit weak. However, it was a fun an ...more
C.
Nice Clean Gothic Suspense

Stormcrow Castle/Castle Of Secrects by Amanda Grange reads like the 'old school' Gothic romances I read many years ago,and it was a nice change of pace.

Great atmosphere and mystery kept me engaged,and loved that readers are not subjected to the far too common and IMO ridiculous 'love at fist sight' theme!

Recommend for those who enjoy suspense,mystery and creepy old castles in their romance.

I was loaned the Kindle edition from booklending.com
Melissa
3 1/2 stars.This was a fun gothic novel reminiscent of Northanger Abbey. It was a quick read and the heroine reminded me quite a bit of Catherine from N.A. with a somewhat overactive imagination. The only reason for the 3 1/2 starts instead of 4 is that I felt that the story was a bit rushed and the romance could have been more developed. On the whole though, I enjoyed it, especially the gothic elements. I really like Amanda Grange as an author.
Natalie
3.5 stars. This was a solid gothic type romance (more Jane Erye nods then Jane Austen), with interesting (if creepy) characters. The plot avoided being predictable. I liked Simon and Helena a lot, but everyone else was either weird or a bit part. This was an all around solid book, not too bad but nothing to merit a full 4 stars.
Soph
Woah! Wasn't expecting that! :O
Great storyline, not as much romance as her others, but the story made up for it. I was trying to piece all the clues together throughout and came to completely the wrong conclusion! Loved how everyone's stories linked in. Clever :)
Eliza Day
Ah, the last page is graced with the first kiss, how refreshing in this day and age. And what more, is she is not a monotonous governess that you read about in every book, why, she is a housekeeper. Quite different and an enjoyable read.
Katie
I'm giving this a 3 star rating only because of the atmosphere and mystery, with a twist I didn't foresee. The romance was far too unbelievable, even for this genre. There was no progression, no good explanation for it.
Jenny
ok, i don't want to hurt feelings, but i didn't like it. i felt the story was contrived and obvious, the characters flat with no basis for their actions in the story, and the writing is juvenile ..
Hafiza
Gothic romance published in 2007 as "Stormcrow Castle" now finding new life as an ebook.
Was free when I downloaded it.
Heavy on Gothic atmosphere but no chemistry/sizzle between H an h.
Kathryn
One of Amanda Grange's earlier novels. She's come a long way since writing this. I liked it ok but wont read it again.
Julie Wyatt
A very easy read, again a pretty standard Regency romance. I read it in a weekend, and was surprised at the end.
Jo Rothbaum
Great development, juicy story, atmospheric. Short sharp abrupt ending felt a bit ripped off.
Barri Bryan
Good book. Lots of mystery and a great romance.
Kelly Wortham Wick
Kelly Wortham Wick marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Aida
Aida marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
  • Nearly a Lady
  • Darkwater
  • The Golden Leopard
  • Mina
Amanda Grange was born in Yorkshire and spent her teenage years reading Jane Austen and Georgette Heyer whilst also finding time to study music at Nottingham University. She has had twenty-five novels published including six Jane Austen retellings, which look at events from the heroes' points of view. She has also had two books published under different names: Murder at Whitegates Manor (as Eleano ...more
More about Amanda Grange...
Mr. Darcy's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #1) Mr. Darcy, Vampyre Mr. Knightley's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #2) Captain Wentworth's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #3) Colonel Brandon's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #5)