Start by marking “The Kid Who Only Hit Homers” as Want to Read:
The Kid Who Only Hit Homers

The Kid Who Only Hit Homers

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,099 ratings  ·  53 reviews
When Sylvester Coddmyer III meets a mysterious character named George Baruth, he goes from being a terrible hitter to the boy who only hits homers! But how will he answer some of the difficult questions that people start asking about his amazing new talent?
Audio, 0 pages
Published August 10th 2010 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published January 1st 1972)

Nicholas Walters

I read “The Kid Who Only Hit Homers” by Matt Christopher. This book was very good. Sylvester Coddmyer III loved baseball, but he was not very good. He wanted to try out for the Hooper Redbirds baseball team, but he doesn’t think that he was good enough to play on the team. He didn’t sign up for the team that year. One day, a guy named George Baruth, meets Sylvester while he watched the first day of practice. He told Sylvester he would help him with his swing, and told him to try to get on the te
Conversation with my son after reading the book...
N: Did Matt Christopher write other books about sports?
Me: He sure did. There's actually another one about Sylvester. Would you like to read it next?
N: Are you kidding? I love baseball, and I want to see if Sylvester sees someone like George Baruth again who can help him be the best baseball player. Do you think I'll be that good when I'm in junior high?
Me: No one is that good in junior high except in books.
N: Yeah, I guess you're right. Maybe
Collin Jorgensen
I read the book "The Kid Who Only Hit Homers" by Matt Christopher. I liked this book although sometimes it was confusing because I didn't if this guy named George Baruth existed.

In this book, this kid named Sylvester was awful at baseball. He couldn't hit, and he couldn't catch or anything! Then one day, a man named George Baruth spent a day at the park with him. He made Sylvester be able to hit good... really good. So one day, George told Syl to go to one the practices for his school. Syl we
Christopher Guinto
I liked this book because it was about sports. I would recommened this book to people who like baseball.
Jason Shea
The Kid Who Only Hit Homers is apart of the Matt Christopher series. The author of this book is Matt Christopher. This book is a realistic fiction book. The main setting of this book is in New York most of the events take place there but not all of them. The main characters are Syl, Mr. Baruth, Coach Corbin, and Snooky, and Syl's mother. They're the main characters that keep coming up in the book. In the book Syl meets with Baruth at a baseball practice, and later on in the book Baruth turns Syl ...more
Gavin Ludlow
The Kid Who Only Hits Homers by Matt Christopher was a great book. This is easily one of my favorite baseball books I have ever read. I relate to Syl (the main character) a lot. We both at one point were in a slump and it happens to everyone. But Syl had strikeout after strike out time and time again, but he never gave up. Then that one person comes along in our lives and make a big change good or bad, but in this case it was very good.
Syl was not a very good player at the beginning. But then l
This book was highly recommended for my "sports nuts" boys, and I'm glad we listened to this first in the series together. A few pros and cons:

1- Pro: Good character development, including an mysterious "imaginary" visitor, and the boys enjoyed the audio version which included "acting" instead of just reading the book. I thought it was cheesy though.
2- Pro: Great baseball "announcer" talk- there is probably a more technical term, but my boys loved to be walked through the game, play by play.
3- P
Alex W
This is a book about a kid named Sylvester who only hit home runs. He started off by not thinking he was good enough to make the team. Then he met a man named George Baruth and he helped Sylvester become the greatest player to ever play at hooper. I was not a huge fan of this book because it seem a little quick, like only part of the story was told. I would recommend this is book if you like an underdog story or baseball. I would also recommend it for 2nd grade and up.
Anthony M
Sylvester loved baseball and loved to play it.He thinks that he is not a good hitter because he doesn’t.Sylvester was going to tryout for a team called the redbirds when he met george Baruth. He said that I am going to make you a very good player and that you will hit the play.He helped him to be the best player on the team.Sylvester started to it a lot of home runs on his team.He would always it home runs because he practice and practice.Sylvester was very happy when he hit the first Home Run ...more
Garron Thom
This book is called The Kid Who Only Hit Homers by Matt Christopher. This books genre is a story because it has made up characters in it. Summary- This book is about a kid named Sylvester and he loved baseball. Sylvester loved baseball but he wasn't that good at hitting. Sylvester met a kid on his team named George Baruth who helped him. I gave it three stars cause i like sports
I gave this book four stars for multiple reasons. The biggest is that it was fairly short and could defensively use more detail, mainly in describing the setting such as Silvester's house or the Baseball field and stuff like that. Also there were some kind of weird parts were the story didn't make a lot of sense. Over all I think the best part was the meaning but the story was ok too.
Brandon Y.
I thought this book was great. Just because it was about baseball and I love baseball. The best part about it was that Sylvester was suppressible suppose to hit a home run ever time he was at bat. But at the end of the book that all changed. I would rate this book a 7 out of 10 because it was good but I thought it could've had been better. This book was good but it could've been better if it was longer.
Owen Kowatch
Sylvester was never really good at baseball until he meet Mr. Baurth. Mr. Baurth coaches him and suddenly he is hitting like he never has. He hits so many home runs that he cannot keep track. He begins to get suspicious and then one day Mr. Baurth disappears. This is a great book and if you like sports you will like this book.
Brendan Thelen
I think that it was a great book because it is about a boy named Sylvester, a kid who wanted to play for his schools baseball team but he wasn't a good hitter nor fielder so he quit tryouts. Then one day while he was watching them practice, a sports trainer named George Baruth teaches him how to field and hit home runs.
Andre Smith
Sylvester loved baseball, but he wasn't what you'd call a good hitter. He had decided against joining the team, when he met George Baruth. He promised Sylvester he would help him become one of the best players ever. Before long he was hitting homers.
I liked it. And he only gets walked 3 times. The first time he hit a homer the pitcher was afraid of him so he threw two balls. Then the coach said it was only pure luck, so he threw a strike and then he hit another home run.
I gave this book 4 stars. Because it caught your attention and it kept you interested through the whole book.This was the best book i have read so far this year. this book mostley takes place all outdoors. if your a baseball fan check this book out.
This book is about a kid named sylvester codmeyer who is bad at baseball. Then this guy from out of town comes and teaches him how to bat and catch a lot better. they played 10 games and he had a 3 homers in his first game. He only sruck out once an
This would be a great book anybody interested in baseball and also teaches a great lesson about being humble.
Brent Rogers
This book is about a kid named Sylvester who wanted to play baseball was not very good. He meets a friend who helps him with his swing, and he starts to be the best hitter in the league. He begins to hit home runs and enjoy the game a lot more. It's a good motivational book for elementary-aged students; especially those who are interested in sports.
Though I'm sure I read several of his books, this is the only one I remember explicitly. Perhaps because it had a touch of the mystical about it. I've always thought there was something wonderful about the way it ended: the mysterious old man leaves the boy to fend for himself, just before the final game of the season. What happens? The kid who only hit homers hits a couple singles and a triple--something like that anyway. Not an unrealistic triumph, not an unrealistic burn-out...but just right.
Beverly Kennett
This book was hard to read if you aren't very familiar with baseball lingo. There was a great deal of it in the story. I would categorize it as fantasy because of a character who seems to appear to only one other character, no one else can see him. This might be a good book for students studying famous players, though, because of the Babe Ruth connection. I don't think it is good enough to use with a whole class, maybe a book club group who was interested in it would be a better choice.
it was awesome i love it
Andres-This book shows personal best. this kid was the worst in his team and he didnt sign in for his team because he thought he was too bad to play. Suddenly, a person comes to him and shows him how to bat and play, when he tried to sign, in the tam was full but the coach gave him one opportunity to play but he stroke out like always but when he gut used to it he started hitting lots of homers and they became the best team in his league!
Oct 03, 2009 Jocelyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any body who likes sports.
Shelves: my-favorites
Sylvester started out striking out all off the time. Sylester struck out once again. Then one day when Sylvesters team was practicing, there was a man sitting on the bleachers. His name was George Baruth, he saw Sylvester strike out. So after practice George Baruth asked Sylvester to stay after practice. Sylvester stated to hit hommers and you will have to find out when you read the book.
Logan Walker
I believe Matt Christopher is the best children's sports author out there. This book is about a boy who struggles mightily at baseball. But through work, dedication, and practice he gets better and better. This is a great book to read to baseball fans. Also, I believe this is a great book to read to your classroom and show your students they can do whatever they set their minds to.
Jared Cervantez
I liked this book so much because it has to do with baseball and it has to do with kid who is no that good until he meets a mentor. The author has many other books that I like so I tried this book and it is what I expected it to be. This is one of my favorite books I have read and there is possibly one of the most famosu baseball players in their. (Babe Ruth anyone)
Sean Gresham
Matt Christopher is a great author for elementary aged sports fans. It is important for young readers to read about what they are interested in and this story will keep a baseball/softball fan or player engaged the entire book. Students can relate to the struggles and anxieties of the Sylvester. Christopher teaches the importance of hard work and dedication.
Didn't every young boy want to be the star of a Matt Christopher novella? There is something to be said for juvenile fiction that gets even the most hesitant readers to move to the corner of the couch, flip off the tube, and devour a pleasant sports story with good morals bubbling to the surface.
Shay Karlen
I thought this was a really good book. This kid joined this team late. This kid in practice hit 3 homers in a row and caught 2 pop flys easily and in the games he messed up and got benched. Then he hit homers again. I recomend this book to people that like baseball.
Jabari Doyle
This book is about a person who came on the baseball team. He couldn't play so good. Then this person came along who could only hit homeruns. The person who couldn't play asked him to help him. It turned out the person who couldn't play wasn't a real person.
The Matt Christo...: Characters 1 2 Feb 23, 2013 02:36PM
  • Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3)
  • One-Handed Catch
  • The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)
  • Baseball Great
  • S O R Losers
  • Kickoff!
  • The Batboy
  • Who Broke Lincoln's Thumb? (Capital Mysteries, #5)
  • Stealing Thunder
  • Never Too Little to Love
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Finding Buck McHenry
  • Key to the Treasure
  • A Letter to Mrs. Roosevelt
Matt Christopher is the writer young readers turn to when they're looking for fast-paced, action-packed sports novels. He is the best-selling author of more than one hundred sports books for young readers.

Matt Christopher is America's bestselling sports writer for children, with more than 100 books and sales approaching six million copies. In 1992, Matt Christopher talked about being a children's
More about Matt Christopher...