Start by marking “Healing Grief” as Want to Read:
Healing Grief

Healing Grief

"Grieving is a natural process. It is through our losses that we can transform ourselves and find new meaning in life." --James Van PraaghJames Van Praagh, who possesses the extraordinary ability to communicate with the heavenly realm beyond our physical world, has changed the lives of millions of people who have lost loved ones. Now, in a book destined to open pathways of ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by New American Library (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Healing Grief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing Grief

Katy
Jan 29, 2014 Katy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm. This book helped me with the language of grief, and gave me some clues on how to help my husband who is losing his father. I had no idea the writer claims to be a medium, though, and these parts left me indifferent (I started skipping them altogether after I suffered through the first one). Medium or not, however, his understanding of the mecanisms of grief seems clear and reliable, and he displays a rare sensitivity to the needs of the bereaved.
Heidi Wiechert
This book is a great reminder that grief affects everyone differently and that it's ok to take what time you need in the different stages. There is no "right way" to grieve.
Nancy
It was a good read, helpful, but I hoped for less personal stories. At any rate, it was an informative, comforting book.
Andrea Lewis
Oct 09, 2015 Andrea Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of helpful guidelines to grieve any loss.
Dawn
Feb 14, 2016 Dawn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grief-loss
James Van Praagh is an author, producer, celebrity, and self-proclaimed clairvoyant. Though I respect and enjoy his work and creativity on tv show "Ghost Whisperer", I found his book not for me following the death of a family member. I was looking for something more straight-forward or personal, possibly with a Christian slant. I found his work too airy and mystic for my liking as I am dealing with my grief. Perhaps it would speak better to someone else.
Mari
Feb 14, 2008 Mari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone...
Recommended to Mari by: Came across it when researching books on grief...
This was one of the first books I read after my son Michael was killed. James Van Praagh helps to guide you on the journey of grief. The book not only deals with murder, unexpected death, and the death of a child, but it also provides guidance on suicide, the loss of parents, and pets, as well.

If you, or someone you love is grieving, you may find a modicum of comfort in this book.

=^..^=
mb
Elena
I didn't like this as much as his other books (which actually helped me more with grief than this book did.) After reading about half of this, I was sort of able to come to my own terms with what was going on for me, in part because I realized I didn't need a book. I also just couldn't get into his writing in this one. I much preferred Talking to Heaven.
Erika Birdsley
I love James Van Pragh, so was excited to read this book, which was written in 2000.

About halfway through the stories started to sound the same and I lost interest. I didn't get the impression that his skills of perception, intuition, psychic abilities, etc., were any better than mine, either. Another disappointment.

Jennifer B.
Apr 12, 2016 Jennifer B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Offers insight and comfort to anyone whom has experienced grief, despite their religious views, (or lack thereof). However, the author is a medium who also relays messages from the deceased, so that may turn some people off if they are closed to that sort of thing.
Vikki
Apr 07, 2011 Vikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this right after my friend Kay's death. I gave the book to her husband. This book was very helpful to me right after her death. It is good to grieve. It must be done.
Judy
May 31, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A client loaned it to me, saying it had been a great comfort to her after her husband's death. I didn't expect to like it, but I find it's quite interesting and positive.
Sandra Mckenzie
Feb 09, 2012 Sandra Mckenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this on my nook,Van Praagh is very readable and has helped me so much already. And I'm not finished with either one. I will go back and reread this book again.
Claudia Johnson
Mar 31, 2016 Claudia Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychic-medium
This is an excellent, compassionate book with steps for healing grief that are practical and comforting. I often recommend it to my clients.
Vikki
Jul 08, 2010 Vikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this right after my friend Kay's death. I also gave it to her husband. It was very good for me. It is good to grieve. It must be done.
Katie
Apr 26, 2009 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Barbie
Only read parts of this book that applied to me...about losing a family member. He is straight forward and has some good points.
Benjamin Barnes
Didnt really touch on the topic I was looking for talks about healing the grief lost in losing loved ones.
MaryAnn
May 08, 2011 MaryAnn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think James Van Praagh is fantastic. I really liked the book and cried often. Amazing stories.
Sel
Enlightening read and it keeps the readers attention.
Brin Brin
Pattik
Sep 24, 2008 Pattik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Cherie Bergeron
Cherie Bergeron marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Cindy Huff
Cindy Huff is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Redcheeks64 ALFORD
Redcheeks64 ALFORD marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Elau06
Elau06 added it
Aug 08, 2016
  • In Spite of Everything: A Memoir
  • Life After Loss: A Practical Guide To Renewing Your Life After Experiencing Major Loss
  • Living with Your Heart Wide Open: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Unworthiness, Inadequacy, and Shame
  • Power, Freedom, and Grace: Living from the Source of Lasting Happiness
  • The Lessons of Love: Rediscovering Our Passion for Live When It All Seems Too Hard to Take
  • The Grief Recovery Handbook: A Program for Moving Beyond Death, Divorce, and Other Devastating Losses
  • Love and the Mystery of Betrayal
  • Mars and Venus Starting Over: A Practical Guide for Finding Love Again After a Painful Breakup, Divorce, or the Loss of a Loved One
  • The Law of the Garbage Truck: How to Respond to People Who Dump on You, and How to Stop Dumping on Others
  • Hardcore Self Help: F**k Anxiety
  • A Year and Six Seconds: A Memoir of Stumbling from Heartbreak to Happiness
  • Welcome to Your Crisis: How to Use the Power of Crisis to Create the Life You Want
  • Illuminated Prayers
  • The Invisible Force: 365 Ways to Apply the Power of Intention to Your Life
  • NIV Women of Faith Study Bible: Experience the Liberating Grace of God
  • Get Your Act Together: 7-Day Get-Organized Program For The Overworked, Overbooked, and Overwhelmed, A
  • Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life
  • If It Hurts, It Isn't Love: And 365 Other Principles to Heal and Transform Your Relationships
His very natural, easy-going style would lead you to believe that James Van Praagh is chatting with a friend on the telephone, not communicating messages from the grave. James is a survival evidence medium, meaning that he is able to bridge the gap between two planes of existence, that of the living and that of the dead, by providing evidential proof of life after death via detailed messages. "I'm ...more
More about James Van Praagh...