3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A hard-hitting expose of the world's largest and richest military contractor
Published December 28th 2010 by Nation Books (first published October 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Prophets of War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prophets of War

Justin Evans
Probably a magazine article disguised as a book, this falls for every non-fiction writing cliche in existence (start with an anecdote! make it about people!) but it's eye-opening anyway. I look forward to the day that Lockheed, Apple and Windows merge like Voltron and proceed to take over the world with very pretty, dysfunctional, overpriced consumer goods that can double as weapons systems. All of it will be funded by the government, of course, but not in a socialistic way. No, in this state th...more
Brent
This is a tough book to read, both due to the subject matter and to the detail of it; it's not a pleasure read nor one for the beach. More like reading a text book. It's also enough to make a person almost sick, seeing the way geopolitical events have been shaped by military contractors. In the case of this book, the author focuses on Lockheed Martin, but it's clearly not just that particular company, but rather, all the big military contractors. One particularly disheartening example was the pu...more
Elena
This book was comprehensive and comprehensively depressing, but it was also paced weirdly - tons and tons of details about early Lockheed Martin, but the conclusion implies that the biggest threat from the company is diversification and involvement with tons of government agencies. That part is relatively glossed over at the very end of the book. I understand laying historical groundwork, but I would have preferred way more information about LM's involvement in Iraq/Afghanistan and social servic...more
Chris
The book is a fascinating account of the myriad ways Lockheed Martin has jammed its tendrils down our collective throats without us really noticing. For example, the company is "involved at one level or another in nearly everything the [U.S.] government does, from providing instruments of death and destruction to collecting taxes and recruiting spies." It also does the U.S. and Canadian censuses and handles the U.S. fingerprint database. Oh, and it wrote the new Constitution of Afghanistan. And,...more
Kevin
This book is full of good content, but it assaults the reader in an over detailed, barrage of stream-of-consciousness-facts about Lockheed's history. It doesn't read too well, nor quickly, and frequently digresses. What I got out of the book:

-Lockheed Martin is part of a revolving door of the U.S. government. Former Lockheed employees go on to "officially" work for the government, and former government employees go on to work for Lockheed.

-The Company is the largest recipient of any military co...more
Cherie
Jan 23, 2014 Cherie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A
Shelves: non-fiction, activism
B Interesting book; pretty intense; skimmed mostly, but read some entire sections. A focus on how closely LM is to the U.S.'s army and the military industrial complex. LM is a company that often fails to meet their goals, overcharges, bribes, is rife w scanals, creates flawed products...and also is the creator of the horrifying "cluster bombs" which can cover an area the size of 3 football fields and aims to kill civilians (aka women and children). Very detailed, lots of background history.
Jeffrey Cavanaugh
Lockheed Martin is the world's largest defense contractor and is a corporate behemoth so intertwined with the U.S. government that it is often hard to tell where one begins and the other ends. Defense. Aerospace. Intelligence. Non-defense government work with the Post Office and even the Census Bureau.... the list goes on and on and raises serious questions about the nature of corporate power in 21st-century America.

Not least of which is the litany of projects the company has screwed up and ove...more
Azriel
The first 150 pages told me a story I already well knew: That large defense contractors were rent seeking and engaging in cronyism for decades, leading to over-expensive systems that underperformed and often weren't needed.

The remainder was partisan hackwork which often mentioned as fact radical claims and contested incidents, usually with the oft repeated "according to one source . . . "

A much better book on this subject would be Ralph Peters' novel "Traitor", which despite being fiction feels...more
Hadrian
Analyzes largest beneficiary of Military-Industrial Complex, Lockheed Martin. Like the company it aims to criticize, the book itself is convoluted and a tangled web of names and events. Does present some very valid criticisms of budgetary waste, short-sightedness, and incompetence, though.
Tj
Prophets of War: Lockheed Martin and the Making of the Military-Industrial Complex. Very much suggest for anyone with an interest in what directed us to the point we're at.
Alo Evans
I am only on about page 8, but this is very interesting so far. I have a feeling I will be pretty pissed off after I finish this one.
John
It's disturbing how much Lockheed Martin is involved in everything from the US Census to weapons.
Lori
Read page 1. Yawned. Closed book. Going back to macpl.org
Rowan
Rowan marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Vaishakh Nair
Vaishakh Nair marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Jordan Hawkinson
Jordan Hawkinson marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Amira Aljabi
Amira Aljabi marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Tobias Budirahaju
Tobias Budirahaju marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Miss M
Miss M marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Eric_W
Eric_W marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Nicholas Flood
Nicholas Flood marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Vikram
Vikram marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
How Much Are You Making on the War, Daddy?: A Quick and Dirty Guide to War Profiteering in the Bush Administration And Weapons For All Welfare for weapons dealers: The hidden costs of the arms trade (World policy papers) The Economic Consequences Of A Nuclear Freeze The Strategic Defense Initiative