Start by marking “Ruth Law Thrills a Nation” as Want to Read:
Ruth Law Thrills a Nation

Ruth Law Thrills a Nation

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In 1916 a young woman named Ruth Law attempted to fly from Chicago to New York City in one day--something no one else had ever done. This is the story of that daring attempt. Beautifully detailed watercolors dramatize a dangerous journey made by the pilot President Woodrow Wilson called "great." Full-color illustrations.
Published November 11th 1995 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ruth Law Thrills a Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruth Law Thrills a Nation

Brittany Martin
Ruth Law was a brave woman. She was one of few female pilots in 1916. On November 19, 1916, Ruth Law dared to accomplish a feat that no one before her had been able to accomplish. She wanted to fly from Chicago to New York City in just one day. Ruth Law wanted to fly off in a big plane, she could afford it, but the seller refused to give her a plane because she was a woman. Therefore, she had to make adjustments to travel in her small plane. She wore many layers to prepare her for the cold air, ...more
Daniel
Dec 13, 2007 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a friend in Miami who began his flying career flying with Ruth Law.

Connie
Feb 02, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruth Law. Gosh, aviators make good heroes for kids! I mean, they're up in the sky, daring, soaring free as a bird in that carefree day before shoe bombers and seat belts. Wow.

Well, not SO carefree, Ruth had to basically build her airplane out of hope and prayers after she was not allowed to purchase a new one. Too many people had died already, hadn't they?

This book is about her attempt to fly from Chicago to NYC in one day. She didn't succeed, but the news kept tabs on her all day and she, you
Ch_amyM
Mar 10, 2010 Ch_amyM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: info-bios
This is the story of Ruth Law's flight from Chicago to New York City. She is the first person to do it, and in an open plane in the middle of November none the less. The story starts in Chicago where she sleeps on the roof of a hotel so that she is ready for the freezing temperatures. After layering on the clothes she takes off on a journey that has more than one surprise.
I watched the Reading Rainbow version of this story and was reminded of my days in Elementary School watching other Reading R
Stephanie Folarin
hmmm, this is just ok. I need to find another book with a similar story for the collection.
Robert
Oct 12, 2010 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story of Ms. Law. It is easily told with nice illustrations. We learn about the rough flight Ms. Law took from Chitown to the Big Apple. It has me pondering why she flew in winter given the difficulty that posed. I also wonder how NYC knew to have the parade the following day. I guess via telegraph.

This book meshes well with the Amelia Earhart story we are reading this week.

Nice book that I will read again to the students. Have to love anchor books. ;)
Tyanne
Nov 27, 2007 Tyanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd- 4th
Shelves: nonfiction
inspirational to women whil still showing good sence. Colorful illistrations. I really thought this book was a good look at what a women who was self sufficient would be doing durring a time when women are not considered as strong. Love the pants under the dress for practicality and yet the dress for being properly dressed.
Cece
Feb 14, 2010 Cece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would use this book during a history lesson. It's a true story about the adventures of Ruth Law trying to fly from Chicago to NYC in one day. She wasn't able to set that record, but for a year her record was flying nonstop 590 miles.
Matthew
This was Don Brown's first book for children and I couldn't be more impressed. I loved this book. I admire Ruth Law and am once again astounded by the writing of Don Brown.
Zonia
Apr 21, 2009 Zonia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-school
Great, easy biography of Ruth law's flight from Chicago to New York in 1916.
Kari
Jan 16, 2010 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
consistently love Don Brown and his picture book heroines.
Amy
Well done & interesting
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2016
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Marika
Marika marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Janisbeth Rolón Domena
Janisbeth Rolón Domena marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Ivana
Ivana marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Jamie Clark
Jamie Clark rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Apr 25, 2016
Heather ObeBro
Heather ObeBro marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Kelly Johnston
Kelly Johnston marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
4198059

Don Brown is the award-winning author and illustrator of many picture book biographies. He has been widely praised for his resonant storytelling and his delicate watercolor paintings that evoke the excitement, humor, pain, and joy of lives lived with passion. School Library Journal has called him "a current pac
More about Don Brown...