Start by marking “Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)” as Want to Read:
Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)

Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney #8)

With "a cunning mind for crime fiction" (New York Times Book Review), Anthony Award-nominated Michael McGarrity ratchets up the stakes in his novel of a vengeful killer with an unspeakable agenda: offing people with ties to the criminal justice system. Next on the list: Santa Fe Police Chief Kevin Kerney, his wife, Lieutenant Colonel Sara Brannon, and their unborn son.
Published August 1st 2004 by Onyx Books (first published August 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Everyone Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone Dies

Kellie
I really liked this book. It was a rare "I can't put this one down". The main plot is about the hunt for a killer who is murdering people Kerney knows and is leaving notes directed towards Kerney letting him know he is coming for him. The sub plot is the personal story of Kerney. His wife is getting ready to have their son and so the threat of the lives is that much more dangerous and personal. Enter Kerney's recently discovered son who is helping the team figure out who this killer is.
The susp
Ed
Oct 07, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#8 in the Kevin Kearney series.

Kevin Kerney series - Kerney, chief of the Santa Fe police force, and his wife, Sara Brannon, pregnant and due to give birth at any moment, have just begun a much needed vacation. Sara is a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Military Police and will be assigned to the Pentagon just six weeks after the baby is born-a career move that Kerney opposes. A vicious killer slashes his way into the midst of this family crisis, beginning by shooting a Santa Fe lawyer, and i
Jeanette
This was a good read, as always. I like this series and will read more.
Sherrie Howey
This is the first book I have read by this author and was not aware that it was part of a series. I did not feel as if I was missing anything from previous books; this book worked well as a stand alone novel. Kevin Kerney is the chief of police in Santa Fe and a series of murders occur rapidly. Notes appear alongside the victims indicating that the ultimate goal of the murderer is to eliminate Kerney and all of his family members.
The book is very fast paced, leaving the reader anxiously turning
Ed
Jul 16, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime novels and thriller fans
Looking at some of the lukewarm reviews of this book, I discovered that I evidently liked it better than many readers. Truth is I haven't disliked any of the volumes in the Kevin Kerney series.

This story, number eight in the series, opens with a brutal killing in downtown Santa Fe. It soon becomes clear that a serial killer is at work and that Kerney as well as his family are the ultimate targets. The police procedural aspects are covered in great detail while the tension mounts as Kerney's hor
Susan
A series of murders in Santa Fe keep Police Chief Kevin Kerney busy instead of enjoying a vacation with his wife Lt. Col. Sara Brannon. As they await the imminent birth of their first child, the attacks become personal: Kerney's mustang Soldier is killed, and dead rats are left at Kerney's door with a threatening note. As both on-and-off-duty officers and detectives in Santa Fe try to identify a revenge killer from court cases and evidence at the murders, Kerney receives a phone call from the ki ...more
Monique
Police dramas can be rewarding, intriguing and enlightening or they can be dry, tedious and an obvious opportunity for the author to relive their police days in excruciatingly minute detail--this book was the latter. Incorporated in this basic plot of a serial killer stalking a police chief for unknown reasons (and not a very interesting reason either) is a police screwup that results in an investigation and officers getting suspended and the other daily routines of cops. Maybe there are those r ...more
Dominic Bradley
What brought me into this book was the title, and cover picture. I never thought it would be about a detective until I read the short summary of it and loved it due to my want to go into the Law Enforcement profession. The main character and protagonist, Chief Kerney had my support from the first time I read about him to the end of the book. He always seemed to know when something didn't add up, even when others believed it did. The killer in this book seemed smart at first, especially after rea ...more
Gloria Bernal
Jan 31, 2010 Gloria Bernal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moved along at a good pace. This has been my favorite so far in the series of Kevin Kerney, Police Chief of Santa Fe, N.M. In this chilling novel, a calculating killer is leaving bodies in his wake with notes attached that Kerney and his family are next. Just as Chief Kerney and his wife Sara start a 2 week vacation to await the birth of their first son, the bodies start falling. The scramble to identify the killer and to keep his family safe keeps us turning those pages. Perhaps because this wa ...more
Michael Sump
Jun 27, 2015 Michael Sump rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed after my last Kevin Kerney novel. The ending seemed hurried and too pat. I'm happy to report that this was much better. Endings may not be McGarrity's strength, but this is a good story. What is consistently good here and in its predecessors is the plot development of the increasing complexity of Kevin Kerney's family life. Kevin Kerney is an admirable hero. And, of course, the setting is always striking. McGarrity is the best heir of the late Tony Hillerman who wrote masterfu ...more
Carol
Apr 03, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book even if Sara was slightly irritating, I have come to the conclusion that the author trades off developing emotional depth of his female characters instead using them as a foil for Kerney and his emotional development. It works to a degree, but I would like some real interactions between the couple. That is my only gripe and is a minor one! this book has yet another fascinating mystery. I like the developing relationship with clayton as well, but it is the fast pace of ...more
Jenn
Dec 21, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an average thriller with quite a few characters to keep track of. The killer's relationship to Kerney was strained and was a very loose connection. I didn't particularly like the characters. There was nothing endearing about them in general. Maybe reading the previous seven books would give some insight to the strange relationship with Kerney and his wife. But I don't think I'll be reading too many of the previous books.
Mary Sue
Dec 27, 2008 Mary Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This eighth in a series of Kevin Kerney mysteries finds him a changed man. Not only is he physically in better shape after knee surgery, he is in firm control of his police department,and relations with his son have greatly improves. However I getting a wee bit tired of his conflicted wife. Aside from the domestic front this was a good mystery with a very clever evasive villian. Looking forward to the next one.
Patrick
I grabbed this at random from the library, saw it was set in New Mexico, a state I know pretty well, and proceeded.

This isn't really much of a mystery, more of a nascent procedural/action screenplay.

But it's good stuff, with a completely creepy bad guy running amok and plotting vengeance against Santa Fe police chief Kevin Kerney.

Limited, though — and too much musing about marriage and women and swimming pools and architects and manly friendships and...

Monte Dutton
May 20, 2009 Monte Dutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McGarrity always packs a punch. He's to crime novelists what George Strait is to country music: reliable. It's a frightening match of wits between McGarrity's protagonist, Kevin Kerney, the police chief's bold (and pregnant) wife and a diabolical serial killer who only gradually reveals himself. McGarrity novels offer a welcome break from heavier reads. McGarrity, Elmore Leonard and Dick Francis fill this role in the profile of my reading habits.
Paula
Jul 02, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend of Kerney's is murdered on the street in Santa Fe. Soon after another person is murdered with ties to Kerney. It soon becomes apparent that the ultimate killer's prize is Kerney and his wife.

This was my first McGarrity mystery but won't be my last. I will have to go back and start from the beginning now.
Sherron L Pace
Jul 28, 2016 Sherron L Pace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone Dies

How can a life be lived when all you love is threatened? People you know are being murdered. It would take a toll on anyone it almost takes everyone's life including your own. All I can say is 'Thank God for family's.
Great job McGarrity would suggest its reading to anyone.
Vannessa Anderson
Aug 31, 2010 Vannessa Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone Dies is one of the better police thrillers. Someone is out to kill Police Chief Kevin Kerney and all his blood relations and no one has a clue why nor can they link the threat with past cases.

Everyone Dies was an on edge on your seat read.
Helloimmrburns
This wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It was very much plot driven, and the plot was pretty good. The characters, though, were sometimes a little unconvincing in the sense that they tended to be ether unquestionably good or definitely bad. There wasn't much complexity in that respect.
Tom
Jul 07, 2014 Tom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was just in New Mexico, and while reading looking up some of the locations on Google Maps, but just not good enough. And. Just too many murders. Animals. People. Innocents by criminals and cops. And, more to come. Jeez, Louise, enough already. Not finished.
Mark Edlund
Aug 10, 2015 Mark Edlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery series
Good quick read. McGarrity moves this procedural along quite well and the characters are interesting (except for the villain). And now he is a father.
No Canadian or pharmacy references.
Tom Ferguson
Like its predecessors Everyone Dies was a fun read. My only real disappointment was that the ending was a bit of a letdown - but then, I didn't write the book so I'll just have to be satisfied with it as it is. Good guys, bad guys and lots of dead innocents fill the pages and keep the story moving.
Ryan Mishap
They're starting to get thin, mysteries, as the thriller--that appears to be so much easier to write, no?--appears to be replacing them. Worse than picking up a suspense thriller is picking up a mystery writer's new book and finding a suspense thriller.
Sherry
After reading the seventh book in this series, I'm finding the stories to become more and more disturbing. In this one, a revenge killer is leaving clues for Kevin Kerney and threatening Kerney, his wife, their unborn baby and Kerney's newly found son and his family. Still a good book.
Linda
Jan 07, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love New Mexico and books set in New Mexico. Michael McGarrity know how to write a good mystery and he is not so bad in person either.
Gypsy Lady
Modern lawman mystery set in New Mexico.
Emily Higgins
Jun 14, 2015 Emily Higgins rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Police Chief Kevin Kerney and his wife, Lt. Col. Sara Brannon,are being targeted for death by a man with a grudge against the chief. Engagining story.
Apr 17, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-love-mysteries
A decent enough read but then at the end you find out who the killer is and its like....oh. Ok, sure. Some dude. Who cares? Not a great reveal.
Brentic Westray
Jun 11, 2015 Brentic Westray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is right up there with the Walt Longmire series. A great western series for the modern day. Love them all mcgarrity does it like no other
Terry
Apr 27, 2015 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another McGarrity thriller. I love the characters
and love the stories. Keep them coming!!
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Blue Rodeo
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Shadow Man (Charlie Moon, #10)
  • Camelback Falls
With the publication of Tularosa in 1996, Michael McGarrity turned to writing full time. Many of his novels have been national best sellers. He holds a BA with distinction in psychology and a master's degree in clinical social work. As an undergraduate, he held a Ford Foundation Scholarship at the University of New Mexico. Additionally, he is an honor graduate of the New Mexico Law Enforcement Aca ...more
More about Michael McGarrity...

Kevin Kerney (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Under the Color of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • Slow Kill (Kevin Kerney, #9)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)