Start by marking “Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)” as Want to Read:
Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney, #8)

Everyone Dies (Kevin Kerney #8)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  21 reviews
With "a cunning mind for crime fiction" (New York Times Book Review), Anthony Award-nominated Michael McGarrity ratchets up the stakes in his novel of a vengeful killer with an unspeakable agenda: offing people with ties to the criminal justice system. Next on the list: Santa Fe Police Chief Kevin Kerney, his wife, Lieutenant Colonel Sara Brannon, and their unborn son.
Published August 1st 2004 by Onyx Books (first published August 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Everyone Dies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everyone Dies

Ed
Jul 24, 2014 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime novels and thriller fans
Looking at some of the lukewarm reviews of this book, I discovered that I evidently liked it better than many readers. Truth is I haven't disliked any of the volumes in the Kevin Kerney series.

This story, number eight in the series, opens with a brutal killing in downtown Santa Fe. It soon becomes clear that a serial killer is at work and that Kerney as well as his family are the ultimate targets. The police procedural aspects are covered in great detail while the tension mounts as Kerney's hor
Monique
Police dramas can be rewarding, intriguing and enlightening or they can be dry, tedious and an obvious opportunity for the author to relive their police days in excruciatingly minute detail--this book was the latter. Incorporated in this basic plot of a serial killer stalking a police chief for unknown reasons (and not a very interesting reason either) is a police screwup that results in an investigation and officers getting suspended and the other daily routines of cops. Maybe there are those r ...more
Susan
A series of murders in Santa Fe keep Police Chief Kevin Kerney busy instead of enjoying a vacation with his wife Lt. Col. Sara Brannon. As they await the imminent birth of their first child, the attacks become personal: Kerney's mustang Soldier is killed, and dead rats are left at Kerney's door with a threatening note. As both on-and-off-duty officers and detectives in Santa Fe try to identify a revenge killer from court cases and evidence at the murders, Kerney receives a phone call from the ki ...more
Gloria Bernal
Moved along at a good pace. This has been my favorite so far in the series of Kevin Kerney, Police Chief of Santa Fe, N.M. In this chilling novel, a calculating killer is leaving bodies in his wake with notes attached that Kerney and his family are next. Just as Chief Kerney and his wife Sara start a 2 week vacation to await the birth of their first son, the bodies start falling. The scramble to identify the killer and to keep his family safe keeps us turning those pages. Perhaps because this wa ...more
Carol
I really enjoyed this book even if Sara was slightly irritating, I have come to the conclusion that the author trades off developing emotional depth of his female characters instead using them as a foil for Kerney and his emotional development. It works to a degree, but I would like some real interactions between the couple. That is my only gripe and is a minor one! this book has yet another fascinating mystery. I like the developing relationship with clayton as well, but it is the fast pace of ...more
Patrick
I grabbed this at random from the library, saw it was set in New Mexico, a state I know pretty well, and proceeded.

This isn't really much of a mystery, more of a nascent procedural/action screenplay.

But it's good stuff, with a completely creepy bad guy running amok and plotting vengeance against Santa Fe police chief Kevin Kerney.

Limited, though — and too much musing about marriage and women and swimming pools and architects and manly friendships and...

Monte Dutton
McGarrity always packs a punch. He's to crime novelists what George Strait is to country music: reliable. It's a frightening match of wits between McGarrity's protagonist, Kevin Kerney, the police chief's bold (and pregnant) wife and a diabolical serial killer who only gradually reveals himself. McGarrity novels offer a welcome break from heavier reads. McGarrity, Elmore Leonard and Dick Francis fill this role in the profile of my reading habits.
Jenn
This was an average thriller with quite a few characters to keep track of. The killer's relationship to Kerney was strained and was a very loose connection. I didn't particularly like the characters. There was nothing endearing about them in general. Maybe reading the previous seven books would give some insight to the strange relationship with Kerney and his wife. But I don't think I'll be reading too many of the previous books.
Mary Sue
This eighth in a series of Kevin Kerney mysteries finds him a changed man. Not only is he physically in better shape after knee surgery, he is in firm control of his police department,and relations with his son have greatly improves. However I getting a wee bit tired of his conflicted wife. Aside from the domestic front this was a good mystery with a very clever evasive villian. Looking forward to the next one.
Helloimmrburns
This wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It was very much plot driven, and the plot was pretty good. The characters, though, were sometimes a little unconvincing in the sense that they tended to be ether unquestionably good or definitely bad. There wasn't much complexity in that respect.
Tom
I was just in New Mexico, and while reading looking up some of the locations on Google Maps, but just not good enough. And. Just too many murders. Animals. People. Innocents by criminals and cops. And, more to come. Jeez, Louise, enough already. Not finished.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Everyone Dies is one of the better police thrillers. Someone is out to kill Police Chief Kevin Kerney and all his blood relations and no one has a clue why nor can they link the threat with past cases.

Everyone Dies was an on edge on your seat read.
Ryan Mishap
They're starting to get thin, mysteries, as the thriller--that appears to be so much easier to write, no?--appears to be replacing them. Worse than picking up a suspense thriller is picking up a mystery writer's new book and finding a suspense thriller.
A decent enough read but then at the end you find out who the killer is and its like....oh. Ok, sure. Some dude. Who cares? Not a great reveal.
Linda
I love New Mexico and books set in New Mexico. Michael McGarrity know how to write a good mystery and he is not so bad in person either.
Drew Danko
Plot held my interest to the end. You learn more about police procedure here than in most other novels of this type.
Greg
first of his books I have read. I like the characters. Now I have to start at the beginning.
Glena Muncrief
This was my first Michael McGarrity "experience". I loved the NM setting and the story!!
elizabeth
not the best murder mystery, but pretty good if you're from Santa Fe
Sue johnson
This was a particularly suspenseful edition to the series.
Gypsy Lady
Modern lawman mystery set in New Mexico.
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Lkowalczyk
Lkowalczyk marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Nadine
Nadine added it
Jan 12, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
  • Blue Rodeo
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Little Saigon
  • Biting the Moon (Andi Oliver, #1)
  • Shadow Man (Charlie Moon, #10)

Kevin Kerney (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3)
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
  • Under the Color of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • Slow Kill (Kevin Kerney, #9)
  • Nothing But Trouble (Kevin Kerney, #10)
  • Death Song (Kevin Kearney, #11)
Tularosa (Kevin Kerney, #1) Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2) Serpent Gate (Kevin Kerney, #3) Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4) Hard Country (Kerney Family, #1)